Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Please Help Me Understand How Are Our Backups That Much Worst...

...than other teams in the league? I mean, I understand most of these guys won't ever be on an NFL team, but our backups look like they never touched a football field until this preseason.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-30-2019, 10:18 AM)rocdee Wrote: ...than other teams in the league? I mean, I understand most of these guys won't ever be on an NFL team, but our backups look like they never touched a football field until this preseason.

This is where I'm trying to stay logical. Ok, we rested our starters for pretty much all 4 games, not just key players but all the starters. We have a new OC so we have a new playbook, we aren't going to be running it in preseason. I get all of that.

But the standard of those 4 games from us was shockingly poor. Thank God they are over, almost killed all my enthusiasm for the season. Some of them will make the roster and some will play at some point this season. 

I didn't see anyone really breakout or threaten the guys ahead of them, the O was awful and struggled to move even against 3rd/4th stringers. Is it coaching? Schemes? Attitude? Preseason?

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now but if we come out sluggish and not on the same page, Marrone will get hammered by some for it.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019, 10:33 AM by SeldomRite.)

Some of the backup defenders did a fine job. The backup offensive linemen and receivers are what have made it seem so bad. When you have bad line play it's hard for anything to look good, and the mass of drops by guys playing receiver hurt, too.

Lions went 4-0 in the Preseason. 0-16 after. Calm your [BLEEP]
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

The silver lining to this cloud is that we shouldn't see much of these guys during the regular season. Even if one or two have to spell a guy for injury, other starters should be along side to help ease the learning curve.

We are top heavy, though, our starters are on one plane, and the backups are a tier or more below. Remember the days when there was no difference in talent from first to third string? Good times.

(08-30-2019, 10:33 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Some of the backup defenders did a fine job. The backup offensive linemen and receivers are what have made it seem so bad. When you have bad line play it's hard for anything to look good, and the mass of drops by guys playing receiver hurt, too.

Most of those guys weren't even backups, they were just camp bodies to keep the starters off the field for four weeks.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Nothing that happened this preseason has any bearing on weeks 1-17

That's what half a decade plus of bad drafting + expensive FA gets ya. A fairly solid group of starters with very, very poor replacements.

One thing I will say is that the lousy play by the backups was concerning because it made me think that that camp was really light and they didn't get a chance to learn much from the veterans, because the veterans are not being worked enough. IS THIS TEAM PREPARED? I don't know... I guess we are fixin to find out.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

Most of these guys weren't backups. You guys are getting hyped over camp bodies.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019, 03:27 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(08-30-2019, 10:41 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Lions went 4-0 in the Preseason. 0-16 after. Calm your [BLEEP]

Hell, didn't we have a few 3-1 preseasons during our decade of futility?

(08-30-2019, 02:39 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Most of these guys weren't backups. You guys are getting hyped over camp bodies.

This. These guys weren't even backup caliber. It was like going to a local rec center and finding someone who played a little D3 college ball. 

Literally 13 players, at most, from last night will even make the roster.

We had about 43 players sitting at one point, that's including starters and viable back-up's with actual playing time in the NFL. I really don't sweat preseason too much. But a lot of the players we had playing are camp body's at best. And most of them are more than likely going to be looking for jobs in the XFL next year at best.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Last night yes, but our regular backups got it handed to them the first three weeks too.

(08-30-2019, 02:14 PM)Ronster Wrote: One thing I will say is that the lousy play by the backups was concerning because it made me think that that camp was really light and they didn't get a chance to learn much from the veterans, because the veterans are not being worked enough. IS THIS TEAM PREPARED? I don't know... I guess we are fixin to find out.

For some reason Marrone didn't work them as hard as in the past for reasons I'm still not sure of. I get wanting to avoid injury but if they don't know what they're doing and aren't conditioned then what the heck is the point?

(08-30-2019, 03:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 02:14 PM)Ronster Wrote: One thing I will say is that the lousy play by the backups was concerning because it made me think that that camp was really light and they didn't get a chance to learn much from the veterans, because the veterans are not being worked enough. IS THIS TEAM PREPARED? I don't know... I guess we are fixin to find out.

For some reason Marrone didn't work them as hard as in the past for reasons I'm still not sure of. I get wanting to avoid injury but if they don't know what they're doing and aren't conditioned then what the heck is the point?

Aren't you assuming they don't know what they're doing and aren't conditioned? We haven't seen any real evidence of either proposition.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Every pre-season it's the same thing. People will find anything to complain about. How about we let the season start first and see what happens.

(08-30-2019, 03:43 PM)IndestructibleJag Wrote: Every pre-season it's the same thing. People will find anything to complain about. How about we let the season start first and see what happens.

But we miss out on 8% of our season's worth of complaining if we do that!

(08-30-2019, 03:33 PM)Upper Wrote: Last night yes, but our regular backups got it handed to them the first three weeks too.

The Ravens played every healthy starter on offense with the exception of Mark Ingram and, while they held out most of the starting secondary, played over half their starters on defense for the entire first quarter of the first game. I went to that game, so that’s the only one I really watched, but I seem to remember it being mentioned that the Eagles played many of their starters as well.

$30 million dead cap.
Thats why
20-25 extra in cap this year would have gone a long way in filling out the backend of the roster