Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Please Help Me Understand How Are Our Backups That Much Worst...

This preseason has been really difficult to evaluate. Our starters barely started, our 2's have played against starters, and the camp fodder guys got extensive looks for the entire preseason game. I read somewhere that Marrone was giving more practice time to the starters. He wanted them to play more in a controlled environment. This means two things: Our starters should be getting more work in during the week (which hopefully translates into being more prepared and healthy for the regular season, and our backups are not getting as many reps during the week (which hopefully explains their difficulties this preseason). I have no idea what to expect this season, but this has been an interesting approach by the coaching staff, to say the least. I would expect the ones to have some rust to knock off the first couple weeks, but maybe they will understand the systems better from having more practices. Maybe they'll be garbage. I certainly can't tell.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The only thing that I can think of is that they gave an unusually large portion of their focus on the first string so that they would have enough practice reps during training camp to allow them to sit out the majority of preseason and rest.

Maybe part of what we saw was due to these guys not getting a lot of time to work together until the preseason began.

That would be a disadvantage against teams that gave more attention to their back ups during camp because they would be much more polished as units.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019, 04:39 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

I think most are missing the point. While most of the players that played the entire preseason are backups to backup-backups, they were largely playing against other teams backups and backup-backups and getting humiliated. Which begs the questions why can't our talent evaluators bring in talent that can at least compete for a roster spot?

The entire preseason, which is meant for talent evaluation, was a waste from that standpoint. I understand not playing the starters, totally with that, but at least get a group together that you could maybe consider for the 53. The only player who I could honestly make a case that should be on the 53 was #35 Savion Smith last night. I think it's pretty damn fair to question the FO in their talent evaluation after this preseason.

It might not mean anything in terms of this season as the team is top heavy, but there sure is ZERO talent developing on the back-end and that's not sustainable for long term success. We are about to pay Yannick, Jalen, and possibly Jack big dollars. At some point, you got to start having some talent on the back end of the roster who can actually compete in the NFL with so much cap wrapped up in a few players.

(08-30-2019, 03:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 03:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: For some reason Marrone didn't work them as hard as in the past for reasons I'm still not sure of. I get wanting to avoid injury but if they don't know what they're doing and aren't conditioned then what the heck is the point?

Aren't you assuming they don't know what they're doing and aren't conditioned? We haven't seen any real evidence of either proposition.

Lack of serious camp training leads to lack of conditioning and knowledge when learning a new system. I'm only going by what what I've read and heard from various sources since I am not able to just drop everything and drive down there to attend training camps.

Hey guys, nothing matters until week 1. Absolutely nothing.

Just win baby

Our backups are much worse than other NFL teams, because of stupid decisions by the coaches, who can't evaluate talent. For instance cutting Wells, yet still leaving dumpster fires like Wester and Ogbuehi on the roster or cutting promising players like Datone Jones, C.J. Reavis and Tae Hayes, in favor of lesser talent. It's like they picked out the very few talented backups that we had and decided to cut them in favor of guys who couldn't get a job as a backup on an Arena Football team.

Something Marrone said that was elaborated on by the media in a blurb so small you blink and you miss it. it was along the lines of: We adjusted the approach to give ours 1's more reps in practice against each other during the week and then the backups get more reps in the actual preseason games.

Iron sharpens Iron and our starters looked ready to go, the Defense looks all world, the offense took the first few series to shake the rust off and then hummed on the TD drive. If the 2's aren't getting reps during the week because Marrone is giving the 1's way more reps... obviously the 2's and 3's are going to look unprepared.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

The Ravens have won 18 straight preseason games.  It's been awhile since they have been superbowl worthy.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(08-30-2019, 05:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 03:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Aren't you assuming they don't know what they're doing and aren't conditioned? We haven't seen any real evidence of either proposition.

Lack of serious camp training leads to lack of conditioning and knowledge when learning a new system. I'm only going by what what I've read and heard from various sources since I am not able to just drop everything and drive down there to attend training camps.

And yet the media hasn't attended a practice in over two weeks, so anything that's heard is at best third hand information. It's like basing your opinion on TheOlinematters' posts, it's nothing but his opinion based on what he's seen on the television, and just as newsworthy as anything the media is printing.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-30-2019, 09:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 05:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Lack of serious camp training leads to lack of conditioning and knowledge when learning a new system. I'm only going by what what I've read and heard from various sources since I am not able to just drop everything and drive down there to attend training camps.

And yet the media hasn't attended a practice in over two weeks, so anything that's heard is at best third hand information. It's like basing your opinion on TheOlinematters' posts, it's nothing but his opinion based on what he's seen on the television, and just as newsworthy as anything the media is printing.

Who cares what guys do in practices? That's not a real game situation. That's no different than drafting a guy who basically did nothing in college, because he was a "workout warrior" with lots of physical tools and looked great in practice. Seriously? What good is that gonna do if you keep putting them in games and they look like crap? Practices only mean something if they can carry those skills over to game day and guys like Wells, Reavis and Datone Jones did that and got cut, while "cardboard cutouts" like Wester and Ogbuehi are still here. There is simply no way to justify this at all.

(08-30-2019, 10:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 09:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And yet the media hasn't attended a practice in over two weeks, so anything that's heard is at best third hand information. It's like basing your opinion on TheOlinematters' posts, it's nothing but his opinion based on what he's seen on the television, and just as newsworthy as anything the media is printing.

Who cares what guys do in practices? That's not a real game situation. That's no different than drafting a guy who basically did nothing in college, because he was a "workout warrior" with lots of physical tools and looked great in practice. Seriously? What good is that gonna do if you keep putting them in games and they look like crap? Practices only mean something if they can carry those skills over to game day and guys like Wells, Reavis and Datone Jones did that and got cut, while "cardboard cutouts" like Wester and Ogbuehi are still here. There is simply no way to justify this at all.

None of it matters. 95% of the league has horrible backup linemen , QBs, safeties , LBs etc etc. 

Yes our preseason was not what coaches wanted but as I said earlier NONE of it matters this season.

(08-30-2019, 10:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 09:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And yet the media hasn't attended a practice in over two weeks, so anything that's heard is at best third hand information. It's like basing your opinion on TheOlinematters' posts, it's nothing but his opinion based on what he's seen on the television, and just as newsworthy as anything the media is printing.

Lol, your uninformed opinion. I'm not saying I know better than you, I'm saying neither of us know dick about it. You are basing your opinion on something less than game situations too, you just cant accept that preseason games mean nothing.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-31-2019, 05:15 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Who cares what guys do in practices? That's not a real game situation. That's no different than drafting a guy who basically did nothing in college, because he was a "workout warrior" with lots of physical tools and looked great in practice. Seriously? What good is that gonna do if you keep putting them in games and they look like crap? Practices only mean something if they can carry those skills over to game day and guys like Wells, Reavis and Datone Jones did that and got cut, while "cardboard cutouts" like Wester and Ogbuehi are still here. There is simply no way to justify this at all.

None of it matters. 95% of the league has horrible backup linemen , QBs, safeties , LBs etc etc. 

Yes our preseason was not what coaches wanted but as I said earlier NONE of it matters this season.
Ok... so why is that the backups we line up out there 4 games in a row get humiliated by the opponents back ups? Luck? Just random chance? If the league is 95% horrible backups wouldn’t you atleast want to compete against other teams back ups and evaluate? Surely wasn’t the case this year. To be honest I think a high school team could beat the back ups we fielded in preseason.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2019, 08:23 AM by JackCity.)

(08-31-2019, 06:17 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 05:15 AM)JackCity Wrote: None of it matters. 95% of the league has horrible backup linemen , QBs, safeties , LBs etc etc. 

Ok... so why is that the backups we line up out there 4 games in a row get humiliated by the opponents back ups? Luck? Just random chance? If the league is 95% horrible backups wouldn’t you atleast want to compete against other teams back ups and evaluate? Surely wasn’t the case this year. To be honest I think a high school team could beat the back ups we fielded in preseason.

Well the Ravens take preseason more seriously than any team in football so week 1 is a write off. 

Eagles have a top 3 roster in football so naturally their depth is stronger. 

Phins played Rosen Vs our backups , and he likely should be starting week 1 but they chose Fitz to protect him and is a first round QB from the year previous. And then week 4 is just full of random players for most teams. 

So yeah it's pretty meaningless. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying our depth is good or anything, just that most of the league has depth you don't want on the field at any point of the game. Our depth is probably below average compared to the rest, but even the above average teams are mostly full of bad backups, it's just how the league is.

Well, we pretty much fired everyone that had extensive preseason time.

Feel better?

Gotta agree with Jack, none of this means squat. League history is rife with examples.

(08-31-2019, 06:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:20 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Who cares what guys do in practices? That's not a real game situation. That's no different than drafting a guy who basically did nothing in college, because he was a "workout warrior" with lots of physical tools and looked great in practice. Seriously? What good is that gonna do if you keep putting them in games and they look like crap? Practices only mean something if they can carry those skills over to game day and guys like Wells, Reavis and Datone Jones did that and got cut, while "cardboard cutouts" like Wester and Ogbuehi are still here. There is simply no way to justify this at all.

Lol, your uninformed opinion. I'm not saying I know better than you, I'm saying neither of us know dick about it. You are basing your opinion on something less than game situations too, you just cant accept that preseason games mean nothing.

Then why have them anyway? According to the team, preseason is mean't to evaluate the talent of potential backups. Are you saying they are lying?

(08-31-2019, 10:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 06:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, your uninformed opinion. I'm not saying I know better than you, I'm saying neither of us know dick about it. You are basing your opinion on something less than game situations too, you just cant accept that preseason games mean nothing.

Then why have them anyway? According to the team, preseason is mean't to evaluate the talent of potential backups. Are you saying they are lying?

$$$$$$

#youknow

(08-31-2019, 10:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 10:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Then why have them anyway? According to the team, preseason is mean't to evaluate the talent of potential backups. Are you saying they are lying?

$$$$$$

#youknow

You you are calling them liars. O.K.

Garbage thread. Since when did yall think we have gotten good in the past 5 years? It's been business as usual. We aren't a very good team. We are the Jacksonville Jaguars. This is who we are until we get our QBotF.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up