Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Howdy guys & gals

Heart 

I'm back. 

Discuss.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2019, 12:52 PM by Brett.)

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12345343]

Hi there, I don't think we've met. Do you mind introducing who you are? What's your name?

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2019, 12:58 PM by RicoTx.)

...at least it's not Deacon or that other clown Chooch.

How's the beer business?  I'll volunteer to do taste-testing.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2019, 01:00 PM by Gabe.)

(09-06-2019, 12:52 PM)Brett Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12345343]

Hi there, I don't think we've met. Do you mind introducing who you are? What's your name?

Formerly a long-time contributor to the now-defunct Jungle forum. Stopped posting because I opened a brewery in Tallahassee. Starting again because I closed said brewery & moved back to Jax. Love to hate & hate to love the Jags. I'm also sarcastic and I like ping pong

(09-06-2019, 12:57 PM)Rico Wrote: ...at least it's not Deacon or that other clown Chooch.

Awww...I miss Chooch. 

Beer business is now gone, so is my career in entrepreneurship. No worries though. I work for Flagler College now. Might dabble in homebrewing again after the sting wears off, but we'll see.

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2019, 01:12 PM by Brett.)

[Image: giphy.gif]

But in all seriousness, nice to meet you.

(09-06-2019, 12:58 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 12:52 PM)Brett Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12345343]

Formerly a long-time contributor to the now-defunct Jungle forum. Stopped posting because I opened a brewery in Tallahassee. Starting again because I closed said brewery & moved back to Jax. Love to hate & hate to love the Jags. I'm also sarcastic and I like ping pong

(09-06-2019, 12:57 PM)Rico Wrote: ...at least it's not Deacon or that other clown Chooch.

Awww...I miss Chooch. 

Beer business is now gone, so is my career in entrepreneurship. No worries though. I work for Flagler College now. Might dabble in homebrewing again after the sting wears off, but we'll see.

ah, so we're not too far apart I'd guess.  I'm in Fruit Cove.  I've met Deacon/Chooch a few times.  He moved to CA.  Good riddance luck to him.   Laughing Also hang with NYC4Jags on occasion.

(09-06-2019, 01:11 PM)Brett Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

But in all seriousness, nice to meet you.

No room for seriousness in this forum! But seriously, samesies Smile

Welcome back Gabe! Sorry to hear about the beer business...
(09-06-2019, 01:13 PM)Rico Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 12:58 PM)Gabe Wrote: Formerly a long-time contributor to the now-defunct Jungle forum. Stopped posting because I opened a brewery in Tallahassee. Starting again because I closed said brewery & moved back to Jax. Love to hate & hate to love the Jags. I'm also sarcastic and I like ping pong

Awww...I miss Chooch. 

ah, so we're not too far apart I'd guess.  I'm in Fruit Cove.  I've met Deacon/Chooch a few times.  He moved to CA.  Good riddance luck to him.   Laughing Also hang with NYC4Jags on occasion.
So when we doing an away game in Mandarin?
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(09-06-2019, 02:59 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Welcome back Gabe! Sorry to hear about the beer business...
(09-06-2019, 01:13 PM)Rico Wrote: ah, so we're not too far apart I'd guess.  I'm in Fruit Cove.  I've met Deacon/Chooch a few times.  He moved to CA.  Good riddance luck to him.   Laughing Also hang with NYC4Jags on occasion.

Hell, I could have a few people/members over to my place once it cools off some.  I could fire up the grill and the fire pit (if it's cool enough).  Plenty of room as NYC could attest (as long as you don't mind the lunatic lab mix).

The away game at Oakland on 12/15 would be perfect for all of the above.

Welcome back Gabe, sorry to hear about your business.

Welcome back Gabe. Sorry about the beer business. What happened?
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(09-06-2019, 03:37 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Welcome back Gabe, sorry to hear about your business.

(09-06-2019, 03:41 PM)PF* Wrote: Welcome back Gabe. Sorry about the beer business. What happened?

Thanks guys! Any time a small business closes, 99% of the time it's because they couldn't get out of the red. We were no different. But, like many other small businesses, it was due to a multitude of factors...some in our control, many not. It wasn't due to beer quality, that's for sure. When you're hiking uphill for 4+ years and taking little-to-no salary, it takes its toll. 

Still, I view it as a success (I'm forcing myself to) - I learned an immense amount about leadership, community and myself. I'm thankful for the experiences we had and the impact we made...and I'd love to have closed it for the 1% reason that businesses close. I'm also thankful to still be married.

(09-06-2019, 03:32 PM)Rico Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 02:59 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Welcome back Gabe! Sorry to hear about the beer business...

Hell, I could have a few people/members over to my place once it cools off some.  I could fire up the grill and the fire pit (if it's cool enough).  Plenty of room as NYC could attest (as long as you don't mind the lunatic lab mix).

The away game at Oakland on 12/15 would be perfect for all of the above.
Sounds good, byob and grill items. Hopefully still in the hunt!
(09-06-2019, 04:02 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 03:37 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Welcome back Gabe, sorry to hear about your business.

(09-06-2019, 03:41 PM)PF* Wrote: Welcome back Gabe. Sorry about the beer business. What happened?

Thanks guys! Any time a small business closes, 99% of the time it's because they couldn't get out of the red. We were no different. But, like many other small businesses, it was due to a multitude of factors...some in our control, many not. It wasn't due to beer quality, that's for sure. When you're hiking uphill for 4+ years and taking little-to-no salary, it takes its toll. 

Still, I view it as a success (I'm forcing myself to) - I learned an immense amount about leadership, community and myself. I'm thankful for the experiences we had and the impact we made...and I'd love to have closed it for the 1% reason that businesses close. I'm also thankful to still be married.
Man, having the cajones to go all in is a success. I've thought about it a few times but, can't get myself to give up the cushy job I have.

Also having a Wife willing to stick with you throughout that is priceless.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Did you happen to bring Bjorn and IMT with you?

Welcome back. Stick around this time, place needs some.... some....

Hell, age, I guess.

Welcome back man like everyone else sorry to hear about the business but glad your back
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Welcome back, Gabe.

(09-06-2019, 04:02 PM)Gabe Wrote:

can confirm. Sadly, I didn't hear about the closing until too late to stop in for a last hurrah. I apologize for not frequenting the business as often as I should have.

Are you still in TLH? Any chance you can take your experience to any of the local brewers? Not just as a brewer, but the business experience is probably quite valuable to a business just getting started.

I remember you being very active in getting growler laws changed a while back...I imagine that played a big part in the businesses around here being able to do what they do.

If you don't mind sharing, what became of the equipment? I know one of the local establishments basically started up when another place stopped brewing, and I was happy to know that their equipment stayed local and maybe even got another business on its feet.

It's good to have you back here, Gabe.

(09-07-2019, 08:45 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Did you happen to bring Bjorn and IMT with you?

Welcome back.  Stick around this time, place needs some.... some....

Hell, age, I guess.
Ohh....that'd be a blast, right? Bjorn is too busy making Vince Young gifs. IMT, well...he's busy. 

Age before beauty, no?
(09-09-2019, 01:26 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 04:02 PM)Gabe Wrote: Thanks guys! Any time a small business closes, 99% of the time it's because they couldn't get out of the red. We were no different. But, like many other small businesses, it was due to a multitude of factors...some in our control, many not. It wasn't due to beer quality, that's for sure. When you're hiking uphill for 4+ years and taking little-to-no salary, it takes its toll. 

can confirm. Sadly, I didn't hear about the closing until too late to stop in for a last hurrah. I apologize for not frequenting the business as often as I should have.

Are you still in TLH? Any chance you can take your experience to any of the local brewers? Not just as a brewer, but the business experience is probably quite valuable to a business just getting started.

I remember you being very active in getting growler laws changed a while back...I imagine that played a big part in the businesses around here being able to do what they do.

If you don't mind sharing, what became of the equipment? I know one of the local establishments basically started up when another place stopped brewing, and I was happy to know that their equipment stayed local and maybe even got another business on its feet.

It's good to have you back here, Gabe.

Thanks dude, no worries about not being in there. Ultimately, it just wouldn't have worked at that location due to poor visibility and a number of other factors - primarily finances. The equipment ended up staying put as we came to an agreement with our landlords, who want to try their hand at attracting a turn-key brewery (best of luck with that). 

I ended up moving with my fam back to Jax - living in the Murray Hill area and working at Flagler College. It's a bit of a commute, but I can't get over how nice a place it is to work (both from a professional and aesthetic perspective). I'm happy to help with anyone that's considering starting a brewery - or with the consulting of a specific system (even though I hadn't "brewed" any beer for GrassLands for some time)...I might be more valuable as a resource on entrepreneurship and life as a business owner. 

But regardless, glad to be back. Considering how the craft beer industry is evolving, I'm happy to not be stressed out 95% of the day, working 120+ hours every week - giving me time to josh around with you foine folk.

Welcome back, Gabe. You were missed.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(09-09-2019, 09:57 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Welcome back, Gabe. You were missed.

Good to be back, RJ! Glad to see some familiar faces in here