Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It’s Caldwell always has been

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 09:34 PM by Eric1.)

(09-09-2019, 09:20 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: The most important thing for a Front Office is bringing in a good coaching staff, which this franchise has not had in recent times. Mularkey and Gus were huge disappointments. Marrone has been average at best (2017 and 2018 average out) but  could end up really bad as well if this season unravels.

I cannot remember the last Jags position coach or coordinator that left for promotion with a different team. A few had post-Jax success but only after the Jags let them fired them.

No matter how well you draft, scout, etc. You will not win consistently without good to great game plans and player development. Salary cap means you cannot have stars at every position, and the NFL is too physical to avoid some key injuries every year.

Jags are not the worst FO, but they are also not going to create a perennial contender with this group. At some point, Kahn has to realize that cut bait.

I'd like the see Caldwell stay honestly, simply because he can identify talent. Anybody who thinks otherwise is foolish. There's plenty of talent on this team. He's not perfect and definitely has some faults, but he can identify talent. I understand that all 3 should be tied at the hip though at this point and if one goes, they should probably all go. Marrone and Coughlin are most definitely tied at the hip though.

The biggest issue is that the coaches never seem to develop these players much at all. Most of them seem to take a step back after their rookie year, or 2nd season. That falls on the coaches and that coaching staff.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 09:38 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

The system sucks. I thought Hackett had a solid offense just a bad QB and bad Oline. Our defense is really the surprise though as they look like they are going to be more of a liability than an asset.
No pain, no gain.

(09-09-2019, 09:33 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 09:20 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: The most important thing for a Front Office is bringing in a good coaching staff, which this franchise has not had in recent times. Mularkey and Gus were huge disappointments. Marrone has been average at best (2017 and 2018 average out) but  could end up really bad as well if this season unravels.

I cannot remember the last Jags position coach or coordinator that left for promotion with a different team. A few had post-Jax success but only after the Jags let them fired them.

No matter how well you draft, scout, etc. You will not win consistently without good to great game plans and player development. Salary cap means you cannot have stars at every position, and the NFL is too physical to avoid some key injuries every year.

Jags are not the worst FO, but they are also not going to create a perennial contender with this group. At some point, Kahn has to realize that cut bait.

I'd like the see Caldwell stay honestly, simply because he can identify talent. Anybody who thinks otherwise is foolish. There's plenty of talent on this team. He's not perfect and definitely has some faults, but he can identify talent. I understand that all 3 should be tied at the hip though at this point and if one goes, they should probably all go. Marrone and Coughlin are most definitely tied at the hip though.

The biggest issue is that the coaches never seem to develop these players much at all. Most of them seem to take a step back after their rookie year, or 2nd season. That falls on the coaches and that coaching staff.

But my point is that the Front Office selects the coaching staff. I mean if want to "demote" Caldwell to head of scouting, and have someone else being the head GM with control over selecting the coach staff, okay. But that is basically what they tried right now with the TC and Caldwell partnership.

I get that older fans of this team dread a return to happened under Gene Smith, but if this team is actually going to change the culture they can't just accept what has happened since then.

I'm pretty confident if this year is bad that Caldwell and Marrone will be gone. Coughlin will be given one more chance with his own handpicked GM (while still holding the power) and handpicked HC

(09-09-2019, 09:51 PM)JackCity Wrote: I'm pretty confident if this year is bad that Caldwell and Marrone will be gone. Coughlin will be given one more chance with his own handpicked GM (while still holding the power) and handpicked HC

Yuck... Coughlin just had that chance and choose Marrone.. No thanks.

(09-08-2019, 05:01 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 04:36 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I thought Caldwell outranked Coughlin.

I thought Coughlin outranked Caldwell?

Coughlin is the VP of ALL football operations. He outranks everyone on the football side of the business. He even has the last say w/respect to the roster. He and Caldwell, since their gathering has done a nice job of revamping this team. Injuries has played an part in our 2018 demise and the outcome of 2019 is yet to be determined. Lighten up people, it's only one game.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

My biggest gripe with this FO has been neglect of the offensive line. I am hoping depth will come. It's only been 5 years, and that is with a complete overhaul of talent. Our starting team is light years better than when he took over. If the focus has been upgrading our starters, you're looking 4-5 hits per year, to field this team. That's not bad. I think we''ll start to see more depth over the next few years.

The only gripe I have with this team is bad luck and lack of discipline, and I just don't see how you put that on Dave.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 10:59 PM by Bullseye.)

(09-09-2019, 10:10 PM)Last42min Wrote: My biggest gripe with this FO has been neglect of the offensive line. I am hoping depth will come. It's only been 5 years, and that is with a complete overhaul of talent. Our starting team is light years better than when he took over. If the focus has been upgrading our starters, you're looking 4-5 hits per year, to field this team. That's not bad. I think we''ll start to see more depth over the next few years.

The only gripe I have with this team is bad luck and lack of discipline, and I just don't see how you put that on Dave.

I don't think this criticism has merit.

Caldwell drafted OL in every draft but one and that was the great 2016 draft.

2013 (Joeckel, 1st round), 2014 (Linder, 3rd round; Bowanko, 6th eound), 2015 (Cann, 3rd round), 2017 (Cam Robinson, 2nd round), 2018 (Richardson, 4th round), and this year (Taylor 2nd round).  Of those picks, Caldwell traded up to land Robinson and Taylor.

The team has signed free agents like Norwell, Parnell,Wisniewski and Beadles, and made a trade for Branden Albert.

Now did all of those moves work out?  No.

Joeckel, and Beadles were clearly busts no matter how you slice it, and Albert quit early in camp.  Norwell was a disappointment last year.

Could you make the argument the team could or should have invested more in the offensive line than they have?  Perhaps.

I wanted the team to draft Will Hernandez in 2018 instead of Taven Bryan in the first round.  Could the team have drafted Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan instead of Bortles in 2014?  Perhaps, though considering they just spent a #2 overall pick on Joeckel the year before and the team still lacked a QB, I understand why they didn't.

But to suggest Caldwell neglected offensive line- when the sack totals went down throughout Marrone's tenure here until last year when all the injuries hit, and the team led the league in rushing and had one of the best years in pass protection in team history in 2017-does not reflect truth.  In fact, had Albert NOT quit on the team in 2017, stayed around in 2018, and approximated his level of play he showed in Miami, the team would have been in better shape along the OL in 2018.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-09-2019, 10:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 10:10 PM)Last42min Wrote: My biggest gripe with this FO has been neglect of the offensive line. I am hoping depth will come. It's only been 5 years, and that is with a complete overhaul of talent. Our starting team is light years better than when he took over. If the focus has been upgrading our starters, you're looking 4-5 hits per year, to field this team. That's not bad. I think we''ll start to see more depth over the next few years.

I don't think this criticism has merit.

2013 (Joeckel, 1st round), 2014 (Linder, 3rd round; Bowanko, 6th eound), 2015 (Cann, 3rd round), 2017 (Cam Robinson, 2nd round), 2018 (Richardson, 4th round), and this year (Taylor 2nd round).  Of those picks, Caldwell traded up to land Robinson and Taylor.

The team has signed free agents like Norwell, Parnell,Wisniewski and Beadles, and made a trade for Branden Albert.

Joeckel, and Beadles were clearly busts no matter how you slice it, and Albert quit early in camp.  Norwell was a disappointment last year.

Could you make the argument the team could or should have invested more in the offensive line than they have?  Perhaps.

I wanted the team to draft Will Hernandez in 2018 instead of Taven Bryan in the first round.  Could the team have drafted Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan instead of Bortles in 2014?  Perhaps, though considering they just spent a #2 overall pick on Joeckel the year before and the team still lacked a QB, I understand why they didn't.

But to suggest Caldwell neglected offensive line- when the sack totals went down throughout Marrone's tenure here until last year when all the injuries hit, and the team led the league in rushing and had one of the best years in pass protection in team history in 2017-does not reflect truth.  In fact, had Albert NOT quit on the team in 2017, stayed around in 2018, and approximated his level of play he showed in Miami, the team would have been in better shape along the OL in 2018.

Not sure who it is but giving away 5th round picks seems standard under this leadership.

(09-09-2019, 11:00 PM)uthill Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 10:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't think this criticism has merit.

Not sure who it is but giving away 5th round picks seems standard under this leadership.

Wrong thread, I think.

Perhaps you wanted the Dobbs thread?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-09-2019, 10:07 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 09:51 PM)JackCity Wrote: I'm pretty confident if this year is bad that Caldwell and Marrone will be gone. Coughlin will be given one more chance with his own handpicked GM (while still holding the power) and handpicked HC

Yuck... Coughlin just had that chance and choose Marrone.. No thanks.

Pretty grim. From how it was marketed to us though Coughlin just signed off on Marrone and agreed to keep Caldwell. 

So technically, from his point of view , he hasn't had a chance to completely select who he wants

(09-10-2019, 02:22 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 10:07 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yuck... Coughlin just had that chance and choose Marrone.. No thanks.

Pretty grim. From how it was marketed to us though Coughlin just signed off on Marrone and agreed to keep Caldwell. 

So technically, from his point of view , he hasn't had a chance to completely select who he wants

Coughlin signed off. If he didn't want Marrrone, he could have said no forced Caldwell to find someone else.

I seriously doubt Caldwell was like "If Marrone goes, I go" and Coughlin felt like he had keep Marrone or it would have been the end of the world.

Marrone staying with both coordinators and Bortles is on Coughlin too.

(09-10-2019, 02:28 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 02:22 AM)JackCity Wrote: Pretty grim. From how it was marketed to us though Coughlin just signed off on Marrone and agreed to keep Caldwell. 

Coughlin signed off. If he didn't want Marrrone, he could have said no forced Caldwell to find someone else.

I seriously doubt Caldwell was like "If Marrone goes, I go" and Coughlin felt like he had keep Marrone or it would have been the end of the world.

For sure but you know how these situations go..it's like when a new HC keeps one of the coordinators, then he can scapegoat him in a year or two and get "his" guy. 

I think Coughlin was more than happy with Doug as HC (past relationship was strong and I'd imagine he was part of the hiring process) but I think he can sell Khan on there needing to be a total culture change, especially if this teams looks so undisclpined. I think he'll get to pick his own underling GM and will pick a strict HC he knows and try turn things around

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 03:19 AM by Eric1.)

(09-10-2019, 02:22 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 10:07 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Yuck... Coughlin just had that chance and choose Marrone.. No thanks.

Bull. [BLEEP]

From how it was marketed to us was that Coughlin has control and is the deciding factor/sign off of all things football related. Him and Marrone are literally cut from the same cloth. Everything about them are identical.

(09-10-2019, 02:36 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 02:28 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Coughlin signed off. If he didn't want Marrrone, he could have said no forced Caldwell to find someone else.

For sure but you know how these situations go..it's like when a new HC keeps one of the coordinators, then he can scapegoat him in a year or two and get "his" guy. 

I think Coughlin was more than happy with Doug as HC (past relationship was strong and I'd imagine he was part of the hiring process) but I think he can sell Khan on there needing to be a total culture change, especially if this teams looks so undisclpined. I think he'll get to pick his own underling GM and will pick a strict HC he knows and try turn things around

There's not going to be a single worthy GM prospect that's willing to come here if they have to default to Coughlin every time... So you're basically wanting him to find some intern sheep who will follow his every demand. 

Then you want him to pick some strict homeboy buddy he knows to be a HC... That has disaster written all over it.

People complaining about depth:
Agree that we are not deep at every position. LB looked rough yesterday, but we lost Telvin/ Ryan/ Jack for this game.

Our second string QB just lit it up
Our 3rd LT held his own yesterday
Our DL might be the deepest in the league
Chark just came out of nowhere

Maybe we don’t have a full appreciation for the quality of our depth. As disappointed as I was with this game, depth was actually a pleasant surprise.

It's going to be fun to get torched in weeks 1 and 2 by the two QBs that Dave passed on in order to take a running back top 5.

(09-10-2019, 09:54 AM)Upper Wrote: It's going to be fun to get torched in weeks 1 and 2 by the two QBs that Dave passed on in order to take a running back top 5.

By far my biggest gripe with Caldwell.

(09-10-2019, 09:03 AM)rufftime Wrote: People complaining about depth:
Agree that we are not deep at every position.  LB looked rough yesterday, but we lost Telvin/ Ryan/ Jack for this game.

Our second string QB just lit it up
Our 3rd LT held his own yesterday
Our DL might be the deepest in the league
Chark just came out of nowhere

Maybe we don’t have a full appreciation for the quality of our depth.  As disappointed as I was with this game, depth was actually a pleasant surprise.

Nothing about that game Sunday was related to problems with the depth. These people watch the preseason and wrongly assume that is any indication of what quality depth looks like. They also keep referring to last year when the team couldn't put a quality line out there using the 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th players on the depth chart. No team has the depth to cover the ravage of last year's injury bug.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Much of what happened in the game Sunday had to do with lack of depth.

Our 3rd LT was supposed to be playing RG. His backup allowed the hit on Foles.

LB cupboard is bare beyond the starters. Starting safeties should be backups. CB2 looked unprepared and bewildered. RB cupboard is bare behind the starter. We have too little depth.
[Image: giphy.gif]