Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Our Defense is a joke

Let's have Coughlin 73 y/o as HC, Capers 69 y/o as DC, and who's the OC?

Go for it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-08-2019, 10:10 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Let's have Coughlin 73 y/o as HC, Capers 69 y/o as DC, and who's the OC?

Go for it.

Party line it’s 1999 lol
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 09:13 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

KC receivers running down the field wide open. Do the Jaguars defenders practice, watch and study game film? By the looks of it, probably not. They just believe talent and showing up at the game, running their mouth trying to be a bully is good enough.

Jack Del Rio is working radio (I think?). He's had success as a Defensive Coordinator in this league. Just sayin'.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Getting this defense back on track:

Today's injury updates (if we get any good info) will be telling for this defense's chances heading into week 2.

They need Williams and Jack out there at LB because as poorly as they played at times, they are a much better option than their backups. Hopefully Williams knee is just tweaked and not torn again.

The biggest injury factor is Dareus to me.  The Jags will be gashed in the run game without him. They missed him against KC and they need him back ASAP.

Outside of injuries, the safeties need some serious coaching up in the film room this week. The jaguars gambled on starting the UDFA and second year player and it didn't pay out yesterday.  They've got to find a way to get better play from those two.

Bouye must bounce back against his former team. Fuller will produce if Bouye plays similarly in Houston next week.

(09-08-2019, 03:59 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: He's a great player, but if the Jaguars had drafted Mahomes instead of Fournette Ramsey would look great right now because the team would always be playing from ahead.

I don't think that little rule of thumb applies to CB so much as pass rushers who can pin their ears back and go, with having the lead. I mean, The Mouth of The South got it handed to him from beginning to end.  I just think those guys need to be quiet and play football. Do something, then talk smack. Not talk a ton of smack and do nothing to show.

And I'm still mad he turned his back on A.J. Green after shoving the guy.  I mean, come on! If your gonna shove the guy and taunt him, atleast keep a look over your shoulder and save us all the embarrassment. Dude's arrogance don't match his performance-
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Lol at the people harping on Ramsey. Trade him and then see how bad it gets.

Also, thought you were still boycotting Ronster? #CutTheSwooshOffYourSocks

Ramsey needs to focus on making plays. As do the rest of the lot, but... He's the leader of all that disruption.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Boycott!!!! Dammit, BOYCOTT!! Buuuuwwwwaaaa!!
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(09-09-2019, 10:04 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: Jack Del Rio is working radio (I think?).  He's had success as a Defensive Coordinator in this league.  Just sayin'.

I would like to see JDR back in the fold.

(09-09-2019, 10:09 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 03:59 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: He's a great player, but if the Jaguars had drafted Mahomes instead of Fournette Ramsey would look great right now because the team would always be playing from ahead.

I don't think that little rule of thumb applies to CB so much as pass rushers who can pin their ears back and go, with having the lead. I mean, The Mouth of The South got it handed to him from beginning to end.  I just think those guys need to be quiet and play football. Do something, then talk smack. Not talk a ton of smack and do nothing to show.

And I'm still mad he turned his back on A.J. Green after shoving the guy.  I mean, come on! If your gonna shove the guy and taunt him, atleast keep a look over your shoulder and save us all the embarrassment. Dude's arrogance don't match his performance-

You need to rewatch yesterday's game. 

Ramsey was not the problem.

(09-08-2019, 04:23 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I’m willing to bet  that teams that get creamed in week 1 by 20+ points normally don’t go on to win even 7-8 games that year. So it’s hardly  an overreaction.

Teams that have done it:

2017 Bengals lost 20-0 to start the season, went 7-9
2016 Redskins lost 38-16 to start the season, went 8-7-1
2015 Raiders lost 33-13 to start the season, went 7-9
2014 Packers lost 36-16 to start the season, went 12-4 and lost in the Conference Championship
2013 Ravens lost 49-27 to start the season, went 8-8
2012 Colts lost 41-21 to start the season, went 11-5
2012 Dolphins lost 30-10 to start the season, went 7-9
2012 Bengals lost 44-13 to start the season, went 10-6
2011 Steelers lost 35-7 to start the season, went 12-4
2011 Chiefs lost 41-7 to start the season, went 7-9
2010 Raiders lost 38-13 to start the season, went 8-8
2009 Panthers lost 38-10 to start the season, went 8-8
2008 Texans lost 38-17 to start the season, went 8-8

So over a period of 10 years 13 teams finished 7-9 or better after losing by 20 or more points in the first week.

During that same time period, there were a total of 32 teams that meet that criteria.

So roughly 40% of the teams that lost in week 1 by more than 20, finish 7-9 or better.  So it's actually not all that uncommon.  Not that I think we'll be one of those teams.

(09-08-2019, 04:18 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: if there were some very basic tackles made this game could have actually been winnable.

That was the biggest gripe I had about how much we sat guys in the preseason.

So much overpursuit, missed tackles, lordy these guys were not ready.

(09-09-2019, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 10:09 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: I don't think that little rule of thumb applies to CB so much as pass rushers who can pin their ears back and go, with having the lead. I mean, The Mouth of The South got it handed to him from beginning to end.  I just think those guys need to be quiet and play football. Do something, then talk smack. Not talk a ton of smack and do nothing to show.

You're right.  He was the ONLY one in the secondary that played like a pro yesterday.  His mouth on the other hand....

(09-09-2019, 12:43 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You need to rewatch yesterday's game. 

You're right.  He was the ONLY one in the secondary that played like a pro yesterday.  His mouth on the other hand....

What exactly was it that Ramsey has said in the past 3 months that caused that defense to play poorly yesterday?

(09-09-2019, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 10:09 AM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: I don't think that little rule of thumb applies to CB so much as pass rushers who can pin their ears back and go, with having the lead. I mean, The Mouth of The South got it handed to him from beginning to end.  I just think those guys need to be quiet and play football. Do something, then talk smack. Not talk a ton of smack and do nothing to show.

Even in run support he was getting after it.

(09-09-2019, 01:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 12:43 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: You're right.  He was the ONLY one in the secondary that played like a pro yesterday.  His mouth on the other hand....

What exactly was it that Ramsey has said in the past 3 months that caused that defense to play poorly yesterday?

I like the way you frame the question.  But it misses the point of course.  The point was that Ramsey was the only one who played well yesterday as opposed to the other guys in the secondary.

But since you asked, this defense has taken on Jalen's personality rather than Calais'.  And that is not a good thing.  Harrison and Jack and their stupid penalties and over-exaggerated swagger are cases in point.  I love having Jalen's talent on the team.  I don't love the persona.

(09-09-2019, 01:07 PM)roycee Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You need to rewatch yesterday's game. 

Even in run support he was getting after it.

I saw at least two tackles in run support where he covered admirably for a flailing linebacker. 
All the talk about his mouth - but the dude plays very unselfishly compared to "diva" corners historically.

(09-09-2019, 01:08 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 01:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: What exactly was it that Ramsey has said in the past 3 months that caused that defense to play poorly yesterday?

I like the way you frame the question.  But it misses the point of course.  The point was that Ramsey was the only one who played well yesterday as opposed to the other guys in the secondary.

But since you asked, this defense has taken on Jalen's personality rather than Calais'.  And that is not a good thing.  Harrison and Jack and their stupid penalties and over-exaggerated swagger are cases in point.  I love having Jalen's talent on the team.  I don't love the persona.

I don't agree with the bolded.  I think it's a naive assumption that's just a convenient explanation for undisciplined play. 
Jalen rarely ever plays undisciplined football. Harrison, Jack, Wilson, Bouye all played undisciplined football yesterday. 
I find that counter to Ramsey's example. 

If I'm looking for someone to blame here I'm looking at coaches, not other players.

(09-09-2019, 12:12 PM)I’m The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 04:23 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I’m willing to bet  that teams that get creamed in week 1 by 20+ points normally don’t go on to win even 7-8 games that year. So it’s hardly  an overreaction.

Teams that have done it:

2017 Bengals lost 20-0 to start the season, went 7-9
2016 Redskins lost 38-16 to start the season, went 8-7-1
2015 Raiders lost 33-13 to start the season, went 7-9
2014 Packers lost 36-16 to start the season, went 12-4 and lost in the Conference Championship
2013 Ravens lost 49-27 to start the season, went 8-8
2012 Colts lost 41-21 to start the season, went 11-5
2012 Dolphins lost 30-10 to start the season, went 7-9
2012 Bengals lost 44-13 to start the season, went 10-6
2011 Steelers lost 35-7 to start the season, went 12-4
2011 Chiefs lost 41-7 to start the season, went 7-9
2010 Raiders lost 38-13 to start the season, went 8-8
2009 Panthers lost 38-10 to start the season, went 8-8
2008 Texans lost 38-17 to start the season, went 8-8

So over a period of 10 years 13 teams finished 7-9 or better after losing by 20 or more points in the first week.

During that same time period, there were a total of 32 teams that meet that criteria.

So roughly 40% of the teams that lost in week 1 by more than 20, finish 7-9 or better.  So it's actually not all that uncommon.  Not that I think we'll be one of those teams.

Also, we lost by 14, not 20+.

(09-09-2019, 01:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [quote pid='1231205' dateline='1568048916']

I don't agree with the bolded.  I think it's a naive assumption that's just a convenient explanation for undisciplined play. 
Jalen rarely ever plays undisciplined football. Harrison, Jack, Wilson, Bouye all played undisciplined football yesterday. 
I find that counter to Ramsey's example. 

If I'm looking for someone to blame here I'm looking at coaches, not other players.
[/quote]

We'll just have to disagree on that.  Their swagger, talking, uncontrolled emotions, etc., reflect the influence of the dominant personality, not merely coaching.  And, yes, the coaching is not up to par.  It's both/and, not either/or.