Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Our Defense is a joke

(09-12-2019, 07:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You need to rewatch yesterday's game. 

Ramsey was not the problem.
If you call 6 receptions given up and a 1 TD given up not a problem the our standards are very low.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jalen-ramsey/10639

Ramsey with a 39.6 rating after 1 week.  I havent looked at every players rating on the team but i cant imagine wel have to many players with a lower rating than that

I'm not sure how PFF rates things.   I'm not sure they factor in coverage calls, communication errors, what was actually supposed to happen within the coverage.  Going back and looking at it, for certain the push off by Watkins and the one pass to Hill where Ramsey tackled him hard were receptions he gave up.  But outside of that, there's not one clear look that would suggest he gave up a reception because so many guys were confused on what they were supposed to do.   So, with PFF, I always take it as eye test.  I'm sure they have some other metrics but it's just not really clear that they factor in the complexity of coverages and what players are supposed to do within them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-08-2019, 04:18 PM)Ronster Wrote: Ya, it comes down to the Coaches not having the team prepared. They were out classed 100%. This defense SUCKS!!!
The save the players by not playing them in preseason fielded healthy players that were not ready to play on opening day.  The secondary needed time to gel and shapen there communication to play zone.  The linebackers also needed time with a rookie playing his first game.  It was easier for the defensive line to play without preseason time and the offensive showed that they were able to play with less work during the preseason.  I believe if the players played the normal quarter, half and three quarters during preseason we would have had a much better chance to win.  Opening day answered the question if not playing the players was a good idea.  Khan put the heat on Marrone to come up with a new plan to avoid injuries and the coach had no choice but to change his preseason game plan.  It did not work out.  Marrone is responsible for the constant immature play by certain players that are driving the unacceptable penalties every game.  Certain players express the need to defend a player and by their actions drawing the penalty flag, instead of breaking up the fight and restraining a teammate to prevent his disqualification. This is on the head coach and assistants to control their players and take whatever action is required even if that means sitting the players to make the point that no player will be allowed to hurt the team by his immature actions. The defense does not suck they were not prepared for a powerhouse offense like the Chiefs

(09-12-2019, 07:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You need to rewatch yesterday's game. 

Ramsey was not the problem.
If you call 6 receptions given up and a 1 TD given up not a problem the our standards are very low.

Ramsey with a 39.6 rating after 1 week.  I havent looked at every players rating on the team but i cant imagine wel have to many players with a lower rating than that
PFF hasn’t a clue how to “rate” zone play by DBs

I challenge you to watch that game again and focus on Ramsey. 
He was the best thing about the back seven that day by far.

(09-12-2019, 11:30 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 04:18 PM)Ronster Wrote: Ya, it comes down to the Coaches not having the team prepared. They were out classed 100%. This defense SUCKS!!!
The save the players by not playing them in preseason fielded healthy players that were not ready to play on opening day.  The secondary needed time to gel and shapen there communication to play zone.  The linebackers also needed time with a rookie playing his first game.  It was easier for the defensive line to play without preseason time and the offensive showed that they were able to play with less work during the preseason.  I believe if the players played the normal quarter, half and three quarters during preseason we would have had a much better chance to win.  Opening day answered the question if not playing the players was a good idea.  Khan put the heat on Marrone to come up with a new plan to avoid injuries and the coach had no choice but to change his preseason game plan.  It did not work out.  Marrone is responsible for the constant immature play by certain players that are driving the unacceptable penalties every game.  Certain players express the need to defend a player and by their actions drawing the penalty flag, instead of breaking up the fight and restraining a teammate to prevent his disqualification. This is on the head coach and assistants to control their players and take whatever action is required even if that means sitting the players to make the point that no player will be allowed to hurt the team by his immature actions. The defense does not suck they were not prepared for a powerhouse offense like the Chiefs

That's how I see it, not only were they not fully prepared, but they don't "have their game legs" under them yet either.  Game 1 was surely an indication.  Not only were they confused, but they were slow to the punch, often out of place, and just looked like the Chiefs were playing super mario cart driving through them.  The Chiefs offense looked like an Indy 500 Stallion vs a Jags defense that looked like a sedan.  I think what we'll see is that they won't start living up to their talent until around week 4-6

(09-12-2019, 11:30 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:

Everyone keeps harping on this, but most of the defenders that missed tackles and blew coverage on Sunday had PLENTY of snaps during preseason. 

Also this from Wash taking some responsibility on his coverage calls:

https://twitter.com/genefrenette/status/...77472?s=21

I love his attitude and willingness to work hard. If he pans.out great for us. If not he may be a great backup long term as well.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019, 12:54 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(09-12-2019, 11:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 07:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If you call 6 receptions given up and a 1 TD given up not a problem the our standards are very low.

PFF hasn’t a clue how to “rate” zone play by DBs

thats not saying much.  I watched the game and they all looked bad

https://twitter.com/jaguarmavensi/status...96833?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019, 01:35 PM by Kane.)

We came out flat for sure. But I wonder how much better we would have fared in the 2nd half had we not lost the QB to our D.
I also wonder if some of Wash's admitted "cuteness" had to do with losing Jack (and I think we had also lost Williams for a portion while on D)

It was 30-13 after 3Q.
Our defense, as great as it HAS been, has a bit of "quit" every time these types of games come around. Whether thats coaching or young players (damn millennials lol) I don't know.

They have a tough test against Houston. However, they also have a great opportunity to prove to everyone they are better than what we saw. The Houston OL is still not good even with Tunsil.
And the Houston secondary is ripe for Minshew to pick apart if our OL can keep him clean.

Go Jags.

(09-08-2019, 04:02 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Watkins went 9 rec for 198 yards and 3 TDs.

Ramsey is the GOAT!

Ramsey wasn't covering him for most of the game.

Bouye was on (or near) him most of the time.

I do think Ramsey gave up one score though.

(09-12-2019, 12:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 11:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: PFF hasn’t a clue how to “rate” zone play by DBs

thats not saying much.  I watched the game and they all looked bad

I’ll tell you exactly what it’s saying.

If you think Ramsey was the problem Sunday, then you have no [BLEEP] clue what you are watching.

(09-12-2019, 01:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 12:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: thats not saying much.  I watched the game and they all looked bad

If you think Ramsey was the problem Sunday, then you have no [BLEEP] clue what you are watching.
Hahahaha THIS

You know what wouldn't surprise me this week? Seeing Carlos Hyde rumble to a massive game against us.

#becauseJaguars

(09-12-2019, 01:58 PM)JagJohn Wrote: You know what wouldn't surprise me this week? Seeing Carlos Hyde rumble to a massive game against us.

#becauseJaguars

Especially if Dareus is out again.

(09-12-2019, 02:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/demetrius82/status/1...66981?s=21

Man to man, Ramsey be Hopkins?!?!? PLEASEEEEE LET THIS HAPEN!!!!!

All talk... again

(09-12-2019, 12:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: thats not saying much.  I watched the game and they all looked bad

And this is why we love you NYC!! Lol!!!

Theres plenty you can complain about from Sunday but the way some people try to find a way to blame him for everything and anything that goes wrong on D. 10 other guys out there.

Hes the best talent on this roster easily.

Reading comprehension, i never daid he was the problem.  But yeas he was part of the problem.  You act like he had a flawless game lol.  Of course you thought he played great last year too so it makes sense. Pff obviously agreed.  I dont think he was a 39 rating bad but he was out there making mistakes like the rest of the secondary

(09-12-2019, 03:39 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 01:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’ll tell you exactly what it’s saying.

And this is why we love you NYC!! Lol!!!

Theres plenty you can complain about from Sunday but the way some people try to find a way to blame him for everything and anything that goes wrong on D. 10 other guys out there.

Hes the best talent on this roster easily.
Who blamed Ramsey for everything?  Ramsey might be the best talent on the roster but the best player has been Campbell the last couple years.  Whats funny is when people on here thinks hes playing like Champ Bailey but naw lol.  He has the potential to be the best corner in the league like he was in 17 but he has to show it

(09-12-2019, 01:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 01:58 PM)JagJohn Wrote: You know what wouldn't surprise me this week? Seeing Carlos Hyde rumble to a massive game against us.

#becauseJaguars

Especially if Dareus is out again.

Exactly this. Sometimes I think the fans forget how important that guy is to the run defense. Before we brought him on board in 17, the run defense was last in the league IIRC. Without looking it up, by the end of that year I think we were up to 16th.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.