Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Where are Lamar Jackson haters now?

Jackson is fun to watch but hear me now and believe me later. At some point he's going to take the wrong angle or cut on one of those run plays and he's going to get his [BLEEP] lit up for it. It only works for so long in the NFL. He's played pretty damn good. But as they get closer and closer towards the end of December and the weather starts to stiffen up more he's going to be prone to some shots.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-18-2019, 02:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Jackson is fun to watch but hear me now and believe me later. At some point he's going to take the wrong angle or cut on one of those run plays and he's going to get his [BLEEP] lit up for it. It only works for so long in the NFL. He's played pretty damn good. But as they get closer and closer towards the end of December and the weather starts to stiffen up more he's going to be prone to some shots.
45 degrees against the Pats and 40 degrees against the Texans yesterday....

(11-18-2019, 02:55 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 02:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Jackson is fun to watch but hear me now and believe me later. At some point he's going to take the wrong angle or cut on one of those run plays and he's going to get his [BLEEP] lit up for it. It only works for so long in the NFL. He's played pretty damn good. But as they get closer and closer towards the end of December and the weather starts to stiffen up more he's going to be prone to some shots.
45 degrees against the Pats and 40 degrees against the Texans yesterday....

But was it snowing? 

[Image: source.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

This is my problem with running quarterbacks.  Not mobile quarterbacks...running quarterbacks.  Eventually, unless he defies the odds, he's going to get hurt and he's not going to be able to rely on his legs.  He's played great, don't get me wrong.  Hopefully, for his sake, he proves me wrong.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-18-2019, 03:44 PM)Rico Wrote:

This is my problem with running quarterbacks.  Not mobile quarterbacks...running quarterbacks.  Eventually, unless he defies the odds, he's going to get hurt and he's not going to be able to rely on his legs.  He's played great, don't get me wrong.  Hopefully, for his sake, he proves me wrong.

My problem with running quarterbacks is they run for as many yards as they pass for. And that just hasn't been a winning formula ever.
Maybe he's the guy that breaks the trend but I doubt it.
If he relies on his legs too much he'll be more of a flash in the pan than an elite QB.

He'll likely have a very solid career with a couple really good "MVP" seasons. Which any of us in Jville would gladly take surely.
People talking about him like he's gonna be in the hall someday are out their ever loving minds, especially after <20 games.

If he has a serious knee or leg injury at any point and is forced to stay in the pocket more, he'll be exposed. It isn't hating it's facts.
Kap, RGme, these guys relied on their legs too much and when forced to play from within the pocket on not so great teams, their pop fizzled.

Guys like Mahomes and Watson (one guy I didn't even know, the other I clearly was wrong about) are run to throw guys, like Wilson. That is the new NFL.
The run to score QB is one injury away from being an afterthought.

I thought that "running QB's" was the "modern way" that the game is played vs. the "archaic" method of having a good running game?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-18-2019, 05:48 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I thought that "running QB's" was the "modern way" that the game is played vs. the "archaic" method of having a good running game?

Mobile QBs vs running QBs.

Wilson, Mahomes, Watson vs RGme, Kap, and Jackson

All of them can throw the rock. Great arm strength. Accuracy.
But some rely too much on their legs to move the chains, and that is when the injuries can occur. That is when a smart coach can eventually figure you out.

I'm not burying Jackson with RGme and Kap just yet either... I think he needs to continue to develop and rely on his legs less.
If he does that he'll be fine. But at some point you have to be able to read a defense and attack it from the pocket.
He won't always have a team full of pro bowlers and Heisman trophy winners and a stud D. Eventually the roster around you breaks down a bit.
Can he carry a bad team being a great QB? Kap couldn't. RGme couldn't (especially since the injury took away the best part of his game)
Wilson is carrying his team currently (well Carson is very good, but that D is a shell of its former self and his WRs aren't anything special and his OL is meh)
Mahomes elevates the Chiefs in a huge way, as evidenced by how they looked minus him this season.
Watson has gotten better and better every year with an OL that hasn't ever been good and the defense is getting worse every year.

(11-18-2019, 03:44 PM)Rico Wrote:

I don't know what it is, but I do not care for his throwing motion. It appears that he's throwing off his back foot, or putting extra loft under a lot of his throws. If his running is removed from the equation, I don't know that I'd want to rely on him to win a game with his arm.

Like you said, it absolutely is working, for now, but remember Vince Young found success early in his career, too. I'm not gonna get worked up about hindsight.

(11-19-2019, 10:31 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 05:48 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I thought that "running QB's" was the "modern way" that the game is played vs. the "archaic" method of having a good running game?

Mobile QBs vs running QBs.

But some rely too much on their legs to move the chains, and that is when the injuries can occur. That is when a smart coach can eventually figure you out.

I'm not burying Jackson with RGme and Kap just yet either... I think he needs to continue to develop and rely on his legs less.
If he does that he'll be fine. But at some point you have to be able to read a defense and attack it from the pocket.
He won't always have a team full of pro bowlers and Heisman trophy winners and a stud D. Eventually the roster around you breaks down a bit.
Can he carry a bad team being a great QB? Kap couldn't. RGme couldn't (especially since the injury took away the best part of his game)
Wilson is carrying his team currently (well Carson is very good, but that D is a shell of its former self and his WRs aren't anything special and his OL is meh)
Mahomes elevates the Chiefs in a huge way, as evidenced by how they looked minus him this season.
Watson has gotten better and better every year with an OL that hasn't ever been good and the defense is getting worse every year.

Jackson is well able to attack teams from the pocket and has done that this year + he's doing all the heavy lifting for a defense that has been injured and inconsistent with a fairly poor WR group too.   

At a certain point it's time to just forget your pre draft bias and see a QB who is actually able to read a defense and hang in the pocket when needed. It was obvious in college too if people actually knew what to look at

(11-19-2019, 05:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 10:31 AM)Kane Wrote: Mobile QBs vs running QBs.

Jackson is well able to attack teams from the pocket and has done that this year + he's doing all the heavy lifting for a defense that has been injured and inconsistent with a fairly poor WR group too.   

At a certain point it's time to just forget your pre draft bias and see a QB who is actually able to read a defense and hang in the pocket when needed. It was obvious in college too if people actually knew what to look at

Amen sir, Amen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah and we never see pocket QBs get hurt. Oh wait...

(11-19-2019, 05:10 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 10:31 AM)Kane Wrote: Mobile QBs vs running QBs.

Beautiful.

Willie Snead and 2 rookie WRs? He's made Mark Andrews an all-pro TE.

(11-20-2019, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 05:10 PM)JackCity Wrote: Jackson is well able to attack teams from the pocket and has done that this year + he's doing all the heavy lifting for a defense that has been injured and inconsistent with a fairly poor WR group too.   

Beautiful.

Jackson has played great this year but he didnt make Andrews an All Pro TE.  Andrews has been pretty good in his own right and a lot of us wanted him.  He was a Mackey award winner, his only question mark was diabetes

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2019, 04:00 PM by homebiscuit.)

Mason Rudolph benched. Where are you, Ben??

Edit: I put this in the wrong thread. Oh, well.

(11-24-2019, 03:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Mason Rudolph benched. Where are you, Ben??

Not sure if he will ever come back from that helmet smash to the head lol

Everybody here had better be big time Lamar Jackson fans for Monday Night Football tonight!

Let's get that Rams 1st rounder climbing toward the low teens!

(11-24-2019, 12:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Beautiful.

Jackson has played great this year but he didnt make Andrews an All Pro TE.  Andrews has been pretty good in his own right and a lot of us wanted him.  He was a Mackey award winner, his only question mark was diabetes
Do me a favor. Look at Andrews stats before Jackson and then after Jackson.

(11-25-2019, 01:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 12:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jackson has played great this year but he didnt make Andrews an All Pro TE.  Andrews has been pretty good in his own right and a lot of us wanted him.  He was a Mackey award winner, his only question mark was diabetes
Do me a favor. Look at Andrews stats before Jackson and then after Jackson.

Do me a favor, look what year Andrews is in.  He was a rookie last year.  Andrews was the best TE in college and he has carried it over to the pros

Okay, I'm a Jackson believer. I'll be really surprised if the Ravens don't make the AFC Championship at least.

everybody needs to be fired for again, passing up a franchise QB