Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Worst Receiving Corps in League?

There were multiple articles, blog posts, tweets, and posts around here this offseason touting our Jags receivers as either the worst in the league or very close to that ranking. 

Anybody still feeling that?  

I personally thought they'd be mid-tier with the Flip and Foles additions and that may turn out to be about right - even with Minshew at the helm for the next 9 games or so. 

It's just one game against a suspect secondary, but the Jags receivers put up some respectable numbers yesterday:

Chark 146 yards - 1TD
Conley 97 yards  - 1TD
Westbrook (who was doubled much of the day) - 30 yards and 1 TD

I'm pretty sure that all you clowns who went on and on about Chark being "just a guy" can go ahead and get your crow.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-09-2019, 04:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: There were multiple articles, blog posts, tweets, and posts around here this offseason touting our Jags receivers as either the worst in the league or very close to that ranking. 

Anybody still feeling that?  

I personally thought they'd be mid-tier with the Flip and Foles additions and that may turn out to be about right - even with Minshew at the helm for the next 9 games or so. 

It's just one game against a suspect secondary, but the Jags receivers put up some respectable numbers yesterday:

Chark 146 yards - 1TD
Conley 97 yards  - 1TD
Westbrook (who was doubled much of the day) - 30 yards and 1 TD

I'm pretty sure that all you clowns who went on and on about Chark being "just a guy" can go ahead and get your crow.

Chark and Westbrook have been a nice surprise.  Once Lee gets back into the mix they should be alright.  Sure there isn't one standout "star" among them, but they are good enough to do the job.  That's all the team needs.  They don't need a "pro-bowl" QB or a "pro-bowl" WR bunch.  All they need is some players that can do the job.  Just get 10+ yards every play (or try to).  That's it.  The rest will fall into place.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Theyre all solid #2 options.
We just dont have that 3rd and 6 go to route runner that you know will win his one on one

Receivers weren't the problem yesterday.

(09-09-2019, 05:10 PM)jagshype Wrote: Theyre all solid #2 options.
We just dont have that 3rd and 6 go to route runner that you know will win his one on one

I'm good with four solid #2 receivers. That's better than a lot of clubs. 

BTW - they converted 3rd and 18, 3rd and 8, 3rd and 3, and 3rd and 5 through the air yesterday.

You can say they aren't the best in the league but I'm not having anyone saying they are scrubs or the worst.

Firstly, last season they had Bortles then Kessler as QB. Not Rodgers, not Mahomes. Add that to an O-line that struggled with more than 2 seconds of pass protection. They didn't have time to get separation and nearly every catch was contested.

Secondly, with the exception of Robinson, we haven't spent serious draft capital or FA money on WR for years. We get off casts like Conley or Moncrief, mid draft guys (Westbrook) or undrafted kids who blew us away (Hurns, Cole)

This has lead to us having similar skillset WR's. We dont have a particular identity when looking for WR"s (Height, speed etc) but that's not on the players.

I've got big Hope's for the WR's and I'm hoping they can really step up and make things as easy as possible for Minshew.

(09-09-2019, 05:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 05:10 PM)jagshype Wrote: Theyre all solid #2 options.

I'm good with four solid #2 receivers. That's better than a lot of clubs.

BTW - they converted 3rd and 18, 3rd and 8, 3rd and 3, and 3rd and 5 through the air yesterday.

I'm fine with a bunch of solid 2s during the season. Would love for one to emerge and be consistent weekly into the division and playoff push.

They were good, as was the oline and Minshew. But the Chiefs secondary is meh with added pains of a new scheme.
Texans will be the real evaluation.

(09-09-2019, 05:56 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: You can say they aren't the best in the league but I'm not having anyone saying they are scrubs or the worst.

Firstly, last season they had Bortles then Kessler as QB. Not Rodgers, not Mahomes. Add that to an O-line that struggled with more than 2 seconds of pass protection. They didn't have time to get separation and nearly every catch was contested.

Secondly, with the exception of Robinson, we haven't spent serious draft capital or FA money on WR for years. We get off casts like Conley or Moncrief, mid draft guys (Westbrook) or undrafted kids who blew us away (Hurns, Cole)

This has lead to us having similar skillset WR's. We dont have a particular identity when looking for WR"s (Height, speed etc) but that's not on the players.

I've got big Hope's for the WR's and I'm hoping they can really step up and make things as easy as possible for Minshew.

Ummmm, Chark, Lee, and Robinson were all seconds with Westbrook as a risk in the 4th who clearly should've gone higher; that is serious draft capital on a position group. But yes, the QB makes a difference as even GM15 showed yesterday. And I think that Chark has what it takes to be a star in this league now that he's got some help with ball placement.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-09-2019, 06:17 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 05:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm good with four solid #2 receivers. That's better than a lot of clubs.

I'm fine with a bunch of solid 2s during the season. Would love for one to emerge and be consistent weekly into the division and playoff push.

They were good, as was the oline and Minshew. But the Chiefs secondary is meh with added pains of a new scheme.
Texans will be the real evaluation.

Texans secondary isn't very good either.

I wanted Gallup if we went WR there and he had a heck of a day also. Hopefully Chark can be consistent

Chark and Conley played great. Now lets see how they do over a full season

(09-09-2019, 06:59 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 05:56 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: You can say they aren't the best in the league but I'm not having anyone saying they are scrubs or the worst.

Ummmm, Chark, Lee, and Robinson were all seconds with Westbrook as a risk in the 4th who clearly should've gone higher; that is serious draft capital on a position group. But yes, the QB makes a difference as even GM15 showed yesterday. And I think that Chark has what it takes to be a star in this league now that he's got some help with ball placement.

I'm not saying we haven't put any capital but compare to the D line in draft and FA money. It's not our #1 concern is all I'm saying.

But I'm very high on this WR group. I think Westbrook will become our Diggs in DeFilipo's O, Conley looks like he can be useful in a number of routes, Chark made some nice deep plays and did well to hang on for the TD. Chark, Westbrook and Conley all getting TD's yesterday. I'd love to see Cole progress back up but he seems low on confidence and he isn't going to get many reps. 

And we still have Lee, arguably our #1, to come back. I love our WR's.

I hope they let Minshew wing it. He's got a good arm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-09-2019, 08:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I hope they let Minshew wing it. He's got a good arm.

I was told he had a noodle arm
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(09-09-2019, 08:32 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 08:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I hope they let Minshew wing it. He's got a good arm.

662 pass attempts with a 70% completion percentage has to show some capability of being able to zip a fastball on a tight rope at times.

Montana didn't have the strongest arm but his quickness and accuracy with the ball was there at times. Like a dart.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 08:50 PM by Eric1.)

(09-09-2019, 08:37 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 08:32 PM)knarnn Wrote: I was told he had a noodle arm
662 pass attempts with a 70% completion percentage has to show some capability of being able to zip a fastball on a tight rope at times.

Montana didn't have the strongest arm but his quickness and accuracy with the ball was there at times. Like a dart.

Over half of those pass attempts were behind the Line of Scrimmage though. Those numbers are skewed because of it.

Short game passing has never been a question for him. The question has always been can he consistently drive the ball deep with accuracy.

15 yards and in are fine for him. It's when you start going 20-25+ yards is where the questions come up. That's where he needs to show he can do it consistently and with accuracy. Laying the ball out in front of his receivers, so they can run under it in full stride and keep on moving.

Below average to average for sure

If he learns to use his legs he'll be able to put more on it. It might be an early tell for us fans. If he stays flat foot, its quick. If he starts to move, its a wind up. We'll see.

If he dinks and dunks us to 28 points per game with wins ill be fine.

I honestly don’t care about Lee. He won’t be a Jag next season so I would give all the reps to Chark, Conley and Westbrook. Wish they had brought up Keelan Doss too.

Hopefully Oliver comes back healthy and you have a pretty decent nucleus of pass catchers.

(09-09-2019, 08:55 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I honestly don’t care about Lee. He won’t be a Jag next season so I would give all the reps to Chark, Conley and Westbrook. Wish they had brought up Keelan Doss too.

Hopefully Oliver comes back healthy and you have a pretty decent nucleus of pass catchers.

I'm sure that's the plan going forward.

I read somewhere that said Dede, Chark and Conley all had like 40+ snaps in the game.

Cole and Lee both had like 14 each. I don't see much changing going forward, barring injury to those first 3.