Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Worst Receiving Corps in League?

Lofton couldn't say enough good things about Chark yesterday. It's becoming a good group for this team.

Now if they could just get that defense figured out...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-07-2019, 06:26 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Lofton couldn't say enough good things about Chark yesterday. It's becoming a good group for this team.

Who'd a thought we'd be praising the offense and puzzled by the poor play of the defense 2-3 years ago? Every time we take a step forward, we take a step back. Can't we ever get both sides of the football on equal ground?

(10-07-2019, 08:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 06:26 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Lofton couldn't say enough good things about Chark yesterday. It's becoming a good group for this team.

Who'd a thought we'd be praising the offense and puzzled by the poor play of the defense 2-3 years ago? Every time we take a step forward, we take a step back. Can't we ever get both sides of the football on equal ground?

Well, we are finally in a good position. With a bonafide stud franchise QB in the making, a #1 WR, and pass rushers ... we should have no problem attracting the the best coaching candidates to come in and fix this circus.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019, 08:35 AM by Caldrac.)

(10-07-2019, 08:18 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 08:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Who'd a thought we'd be praising the offense and puzzled by the poor play of the defense 2-3 years ago? Every time we take a step forward, we take a step back. Can't we ever get both sides of the football on equal ground?

Well, we are finally in a good position. With a bonafide stud franchise QB in the making, a #1 WR, and pass rushers ... we should have no problem attracting the the best coaching candidates to come in and fix this circus.

I understand that Ramsey is out of the picture. But I am not even sure with him playing yesterday that it would have changed the outcome that much with the run defense. A lot of the big plays came right up the middle and it was predictable. It's frustrating when it's predictable. And they still were caught out of position with the misdirection plays and counter runs. 

Jack has to get better. Williams has to get better. The interior lineman have to get better. And the safeties absolutely have to get better. I was saying it all off season that it was a major concern going into this year with so much turnover personnel wise and so much inexperience on the football field. 

They're getting beat senseless on the ground. They're now the 24th ranked defense overall boasting the 18th ranked pass defense and 26th ranked defense. I can forgive the Kansas City game. That's Kansas City. But these last two games have been awful to watch on defense. Wash needs to clean this up soon. It's hard to trust this defense now.

I think they had a chance to win it yesterday. But I am telling you. When O'Shaughnessy went down with that injury it felt like the entire approach on offense changed or lost it's abilities to remain consistent enough to make plays down the stretch. They like to work the middle of the field. Swaim and DeValve lack the ability to press like O'Shaughnessy and it showed instantly in that game. Hopefully he's back soon and Oliver is able to get involved. Really need a solid set of TE's for this offense.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-07-2019, 08:32 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 08:18 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Well, we are finally in a good position. With a bonafide stud franchise QB in the making, a #1 WR, and pass rushers ... we should have no problem attracting the the best coaching candidates to come in and fix this circus.

I understand that Ramsey is out of the picture. But I am not even sure with him playing yesterday that it would have changed the outcome that much with the run defense. A lot of the big plays came right up the middle and it was predictable. It's frustrating when it's predictable. And they still were caught out of position with the misdirection plays and counter runs. 

Jack has to get better. Williams has to get better. The interior lineman have to get better. And the safeties absolutely have to get better. I was saying it all off season that it was a major concern going into this year with so much turnover personnel wise and so much inexperience on the football field. 

They're getting beat senseless on the ground. They're now the 24th ranked defense overall boasting the 18th ranked pass defense and 26th ranked defense. I can forgive the Kansas City game. That's Kansas City. But these last two games have been awful to watch on defense. Wash needs to clean this up soon. It's hard to trust this defense now.

After seeing the Colts defense sticking it to the Chiefs last night, I am not sure if they get a free pass on that game. Ramsey was playing, everyone was healthy, they had home field “heat” advantage, an offense that was moving the ball, and an offseason worth of time to study their opponent. 

I think it’s becoming increasingly clear the defense has entered “average territory” this year. I think they can fix the runs, but barring the unexpected we will probably end up with the worst defense we’ve had since 2015

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019, 08:44 AM by Caldrac.)

(10-07-2019, 08:36 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 08:32 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I understand that Ramsey is out of the picture. But I am not even sure with him playing yesterday that it would have changed the outcome that much with the run defense. A lot of the big plays came right up the middle and it was predictable. It's frustrating when it's predictable. And they still were caught out of position with the misdirection plays and counter runs. 

After seeing the Colts defense sticking it to the Chiefs last night, I am not sure if they get a free pass on that game. Ramsey was playing, everyone was healthy, they had home field “heat” advantage, an offense that was moving the ball, and an offseason worth of time to study their opponent. 

I think it’s becoming increasingly clear the defense has entered “average territory” this year. I think they can fix the runs, but barring the unexpected we will probably end up with the worst defense we’ve had since 2015

It's trending towards that direction. I don't see them winning at home against the Saints this weekend. Norv Turner schooled Todd Wash. I absolutely expect Sean Payton to school him too this weekend. After that though they've got a stretch of three games where they could and SHOULD win out. 

They should be able to beat the Bengals and Jets. Those two teams are competing for the number one overall pick this year with Miami by the looks of it. And then they get the tinhorns in London which should be an interesting game but based on the first match up this should be another game where if they all show up and do their [BLEEP] jobs on defense they'll come back to Jacksonville with a three game win streak to rest up for what looks to be a tough [BLEEP] Indy clots team. 

5 - 4 before the bye week. It's doable. I keep saying it but this team has a 1996 vibe to them. They'll get streaky hot and streaky cold this year. As Minshew gets more starts as a rook the game should continue to slow down a bit more for him. And hopefully he can improve on 3rd down's to keep this sorry [BLEEP] defense off the field.

(10-07-2019, 08:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 08:36 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: After seeing the Colts defense sticking it to the Chiefs last night, I am not sure if they get a free pass on that game. Ramsey was playing, everyone was healthy, they had home field “heat” advantage, an offense that was moving the ball, and an offseason worth of time to study their opponent. 

It's trending towards that direction. I don't see them winning at home against the Saints this weekend. Norv Turner schooled Todd Wash. I absolutely expect Sean Payton to school him too this weekend. After that though they've got a stretch of three games where they could and SHOULD win out. 

They should be able to beat the Bengals and Jets. Those two teams are competing for the number one overall pick this year with Miami by the looks of it. And then they get the tinhorns in London which should be an interesting game but based on the first match up this should be another game where if they all show up and do their [BLEEP] jobs on defense they'll come back to Jacksonville with a three game win streak to rest up for what looks to be a tough [BLEEP] Indy clots team. 

5 - 4 before the bye week. It's doable. I keep saying it but this team has a 1996 vibe to them. They'll get streaky hot and streaky cold this year. As Minshew gets more starts as a rook the game should continue to slow down a bit more for him. And hopefully he can improve on 3rd down's to keep this sorry [BLEEP] defense off the field.
Well that's the thing. The Jags got absolutely abused this Sunday on the ground so maybe they are fired up and actually put together a good defensive gameplan. Jack, Harrison and the LBs need to do a much better job next week and I think they will.

My main issue here is Lattimore. He has shut down Cooper and Evans the last two weeks and it's clear Chark is our #1.

(10-07-2019, 09:01 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 08:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's trending towards that direction. I don't see them winning at home against the Saints this weekend. Norv Turner schooled Todd Wash. I absolutely expect Sean Payton to school him too this weekend. After that though they've got a stretch of three games where they could and SHOULD win out. 

Well that's the thing. The Jags got absolutely abused this Sunday on the ground so maybe they are fired up and actually put together a good defensive gameplan. Jack, Harrison and the LBs need to do a much better job next week and I think they will.

My main issue here is Lattimore. He has shut down Cooper and Evans the last two weeks and it's clear Chark is our #1.

Lattimore is a good CB. On the flip side. I am ABSOLUTELY concerned with Michael Thomas lining up on anybody in this secondary not named Jalen Ramsey. Bouye got burned on a critical 3rd down yesterday. Herndon is hit or miss. I expect Michael Thomas to work the middle of the field and I am willing to bet they're going to get this defense flowing towards him which will undoubtedly allow Kamara to sneak out the back door. 

As good as Lattimore is though. Minshew seemed to have no qualms about throwing it around against the #1 ranked pass defense yesterday. I don't think him and Flip are backing down from anybody. It's really going to boil down to Wash and this defense digging it's head out of it's [BLEEP] quickly to get this team where it ought to be.

(10-07-2019, 09:06 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 09:01 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Well that's the thing. The Jags got absolutely abused this Sunday on the ground so maybe they are fired up and actually put together a good defensive gameplan. Jack, Harrison and the LBs need to do a much better job next week and I think they will.

Lattimore is a good CB. On the flip side. I am ABSOLUTELY concerned with Michael Thomas lining up on anybody in this secondary not named Jalen Ramsey. Bouye got burned on a critical 3rd down yesterday. Herndon is hit or miss. I expect Michael Thomas to work the middle of the field and I am willing to bet they're going to get this defense flowing towards him which will undoubtedly allow Kamara to sneak out the back door. 

As good as Lattimore is though. Minshew seemed to have no qualms about throwing it around against the #1 ranked pass defense yesterday. I don't think him and Flip are backing down from anybody. It's really going to boil down to Wash and this defense digging it's head out of it's [BLEEP] quickly to get this team where it ought to be.
Yeah, Thomas and Kamara is scary as hell this week. I could even see Taysom Hill having a crazy game running the ball against us. Cook is no slouch either. Looks to be another high scoring game if the D can't clamp down on the run at all.

(10-07-2019, 09:14 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 09:06 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Lattimore is a good CB. On the flip side. I am ABSOLUTELY concerned with Michael Thomas lining up on anybody in this secondary not named Jalen Ramsey. Bouye got burned on a critical 3rd down yesterday. Herndon is hit or miss. I expect Michael Thomas to work the middle of the field and I am willing to bet they're going to get this defense flowing towards him which will undoubtedly allow Kamara to sneak out the back door. 

Yeah, Thomas and Kamara is scary as hell this week. I could even see Taysom Hill having a crazy game running the ball against us. Cook is no slouch either. Looks to be another high scoring game if the D can't clamp down on the run at all.

Hill. Almost forgot about him. Seems like he comes up big in just about every game late that I have caught him in too. Good point. They've got a lot of ways to attack you offensively. I just don't like what I have seen out of this defense the last two weeks. This could be an embarrassing home loss.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019, 09:23 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

Ladies & Gentlemen... we have a franchise QB. Not only that... he looks like he could be elite.

(10-07-2019, 08:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 08:36 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: After seeing the Colts defense sticking it to the Chiefs last night, I am not sure if they get a free pass on that game. Ramsey was playing, everyone was healthy, they had home field “heat” advantage, an offense that was moving the ball, and an offseason worth of time to study their opponent. 

Minshew and the offense will need to score 30+ this weekend if there is any hope of victory. Again, it is a NFC matchup so if this team goes on a run it won’t matter in the long term. 

Should we win those next 3 games? Yes. Will we? Not so sure. 

I have nightmares of 2008; 3-3 with a supposedly “soft” schedule and then we go out and lose to the 0-8 Bengals. Oof.

(10-07-2019, 10:34 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 08:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's trending towards that direction. I don't see them winning at home against the Saints this weekend. Norv Turner schooled Todd Wash. I absolutely expect Sean Payton to school him too this weekend. After that though they've got a stretch of three games where they could and SHOULD win out. 

Minshew and the offense will need to score 30+ this weekend if there is any hope of victory. Again, it is a NFC matchup so if this team goes on a run it won’t matter in the long term. 

I have nightmares of 2008; 3-3 with a supposedly “soft” schedule and then we go out and lose to the 0-8 Bengals. Oof.

I have too much confidence in this offense though. Even yesterday when they were down I still felt like they had a chance to win it. They damn near could have tied it up late and taken it to overtime. This offense has a lot of fight in them. Just need to see at least one more player emerge on offense outside of Chark that's consistently going to make splash plays. Westbrook may be getting into that groove with Minshew finally. I think by the time they get through the London game they'll be on a better level chemistry wise. 

But I really, really hope O'Shaughnessy just tweeked something yesterday and he's only sidelined for a few weeks. Him and Minshew were starting to gel together in Denver and they were clearly gelling together yesterday before he got hurt. If Josh Oliver comes into this offense starting this Sunday and he's able to work the middle of the field like a poor man's Zach Ertz or Kyle Rudolph as a rookie he'll be able to force defenders to second guess loading up the box on them. 

I just have a feeling that Minshew is barely scratching the surface as a QB. He hasn't had that game yet. But it's coming. Sooner rather than later I think. It'll be a game where you see him complete pass after pass for TD's on three or four consecutive drives and make it look stupid easy. Could be against the Jets or Bengals. We'll see. 

But I just feel confident in this team right now with Minshew. It would help exponentially to get Ramsey back out there. It would have a domino effect of allowing Bouye to be a true No. 2 and that allows Herndon and Hayden to hit out of the nickel looks down the road. Ngakoue showed up finally yesterday too. He might finally be over that nagging hamstring or ankle injury. 

Would love nothing more than a home game blow out with us clearly owning the Saints. But we'll see.

(10-07-2019, 01:35 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 01:32 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: I've never called him just a guy. I like our WRs. I'm not saying the depth chart is hugely important, just not sure where we would rank them. The good thing is we can move any of those players outside or in the slot and get them favourable matchups like Charks first TD today

Dede is still getting a lot of D's attention which is giving Chark the chance. The WR group has been easily our best unit so far.

Agreed on all points. (The snark wasn't directed your way)

Ah. Just went back and read the thread.

All good NYC.

Worst Receiving Corps in the league, in terms of receiving yards per game:

32) Jets - 115
31) Dolphins - 173.3

The Jaguars are 11th best, averaging 254.6 yards per game.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

(10-07-2019, 10:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 10:34 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Minshew and the offense will need to score 30+ this weekend if there is any hope of victory. Again, it is a NFC matchup so if this team goes on a run it won’t matter in the long term. 

I have too much confidence in this offense though. Even yesterday when they were down I still felt like they had a chance to win it. They damn near could have tied it up late and taken it to overtime. This offense has a lot of fight in them. Just need to see at least one more player emerge on offense outside of Chark that's consistently going to make splash plays. Westbrook may be getting into that groove with Minshew finally. I think by the time they get through the London game they'll be on a better level chemistry wise. 

But I really, really hope O'Shaughnessy just tweeked something yesterday and he's only sidelined for a few weeks. Him and Minshew were starting to gel together in Denver and they were clearly gelling together yesterday before he got hurt. If Josh Oliver comes into this offense starting this Sunday and he's able to work the middle of the field like a poor man's Zach Ertz or Kyle Rudolph as a rookie he'll be able to force defenders to second guess loading up the box on them. 

I just have a feeling that Minshew is barely scratching the surface as a QB. He hasn't had that game yet. But it's coming. Sooner rather than later I think. It'll be a game where you see him complete pass after pass for TD's on three or four consecutive drives and make it look stupid easy. Could be against the Jets or Bengals. We'll see. 

But I just feel confident in this team right now with Minshew. It would help exponentially to get Ramsey back out there. It would have a domino effect of allowing Bouye to be a true No. 2 and that allows Herndon and Hayden to hit out of the nickel looks down the road. Ngakoue showed up finally yesterday too. He might finally be over that nagging hamstring or ankle injury. 

Would love nothing more than a home game blow out with us clearly owning the Saints. But we'll see.

The positivity is much appreciated. If only I wasn’t so cynical. 

I agree that if Minshew finally has a breakout game, it will only inspire more confidence. I’m just a jilted Jags fan, that’s all. Fool me once...

(10-07-2019, 12:14 PM)ferocious Wrote: Worst Receiving Corps in the league, in terms of receiving yards per game:

32) Jets - 115
31) Dolphins - 173.3

Can we just get a QB check here on those top 10 teams? lol

Jets and Fins have arguably the worst QB starters at the moment.

(10-07-2019, 12:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 12:14 PM)ferocious Wrote: Worst Receiving Corps in the league, in terms of receiving yards per game:

32) Jets - 115
31) Dolphins - 173.3

Can we just get a QB check here on those top 10 teams? lol

You might want to watch some of Rosen's tape in Miami. 
He's suffering more drops than I thought possible.  Those receivers are legit terrible. 

Ours...

...are not. 

Despite most of this board and all the talking heads saying they were in July.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019, 01:02 PM by Cleatwood.)

(10-07-2019, 12:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 12:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Can we just get a QB check here on those top 10 teams? lol

You might want to watch some of Rosen's tape in Miami. 
He's suffering more drops than I thought possible.  Those receivers are legit terrible. 

Ours...

...are not. 

Despite most of this board and all the talking heads saying they were in July.
I agree.  I really liked Rosen coming out but my guess is the top 10 WR yards has a lot to do with the QB.

I also want to make it clear that I really like our WRs.