Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cognitive dissonance and Expectations

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 01:03 PM by MoJagFan.)

I think our talent level isn't as good as we saw in 2017. I made a huge mistake in thinking Poz wasn't talented enough or the glue that made the run possible. Turns out he did way more than I thought he did. We don't look like a team with a solid plan. We have scattered talent that doesn't work well together. They fight each other better than the team lined up across from them. The league is signaling offense, offense, offense and we are laser locked on running the football with defense. The refs protect key players and we are deemed as a trashy team that needs to be penalized. I don't blame the coaches for the players being undisciplined come game time.

Honestly looking at this team for so long.. how could you possible implement a modern scheme with the QB play where it was up to this point? We don't have long term vets or established players on offense to right the ship. We are relying on the last guy drafted with some Free agents thrown in. We haven't developed talent. The drafting has been above average but you don't get what you need out of your team when it is a bunch of talented individuals. I just don't see the dedication to team concepts.

I hope they right the ship and prove me wrong but we haven't had great coaching since the franchise inception and TC is over the hill to do anything other then execute and consult now. Honestly I don't see how you can compel our free agents to stick around if they want to win and get paid. We are going to be disappointed when the individuals that make up this team go to other teams and excel because they have traditions and clarity for their team.

(09-10-2019, 12:42 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:
(09-10-2019, 09:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: "Indicia."  Good word.  

But to respond to your post, I often see fans call for the firing of the GM AND the HC, which makes no sense.  Either the coach is being given the talent and he is not maximizing it, or the GM is failing to stock the roster with adequate talent.  It's one or the other.   It cannot be both at the same time.

I guess I just repeated what you said.

It's a little bit of both tbh.

The GM has made some solid picks -- but he's building the wrong kind of team for today's NFL.  Short term success over long term gains.  
The Coach hasn't done well with what he's been given -- which is plenty of talent (albeit not for long term success in today's NFL, but we're not seeing the short term successes we should be seeing)

These combined are why this team is the way it is.  A better head coach, but no GM change gives us a chance at short-term success.  Maybe some AFC Championship game appearances.  A better GM but no HC change builds the right kind of team, but they still never meet their expectations as long as the HC doesn't chang.e

Essentially, the coach is underachieving with all the wrong tools.  The Tools are good, but they're just the wrong ones for the job.  I'm not a tool guy, but basically we need a screwdriver, and we've got a hammer.  A really good hammer, but still a hammer.

Also, the GM chose the coach.  And his track record there has been pretty bad.  First Gus, now Marrone.

Better stated assessment and wording then my post.  It just makes me so sad when I watch most NFL teams and see them execute together.  I think our team and the Browns are very very similar.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cognitive dissonance and Expectations - by MoJagFan - 09-10-2019, 01:01 PM