Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
After 2 Games

We have definitely left some plays out there (Jalen dropped Pick 6), but I don't know how you can complain about the defensive effort today. Offensively, we have to be patient but Gardner is as tough as nails and has some ability. People trash Fournette, but I am not seeing a ton of running room for him. With space, I think he is pretty explosive still and looks much better than a year ago. Our offensive line is an issue, and it really cost us today at times.

Our biggest issues however seem to be coaching related. The lack of discipline is on Marrone. 
-19 penalties for almost 150 yds the past two weeks cannot happen. 
-I can't say that I blame Jalen for coming unglued on the decision not to challenge. Saw a tweet where an assistant coach also tried to get Marrone to challenge and he still chose not to. 
-To me, the antics on the sideline today are a good indication of where the players are in relation to the head coach. Does not seem to be a ton of respect, and I think at this point we obviously lack discipline. 
-2 pt play was probably the right decision, but based on the routes run on the play, it looked like an RPO? Seems like a ton of responsibility to put on a rookie QB, especially when one option includes a short yardage run, which did not go well at all today at any point. I question putting that decision on the quarterback
-As a high school coach, I normally try to give those guys the benefit of the doubt because it is a very tough job, but a lot of issues are a reflection of the way Doug Marrone has handled his business. Just my opinion. I feel like we can still be talented enough to make playoffs if we can clean up our play on the offensive line

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2019, 08:55 PM by JagFan81.)

Just a couple of things from the Jags website.

Neither Marrone nor cornerback Jalen Ramsey discussed a first-quarter incident in which the two exchanged words. “There was a lot of emotion in the game,” Marrone said when asked what prompted the incident. “I can’t recall.” 

Ramsey during the previous drive had appeared to get upset when Marrone didn’t challenge a completed pass to Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins. “We have a process,” Marrone said when asked why he chose not to challenge. “We’ve done a very good job. Since I’ve been a head coach, we’re the best ones at winning them. We have a process that we have to confirm it, because timeouts are big. We had no one able to confirm if the ball was knocked out or not. I couldn’t see it because [Hopkins] he had his back to me.” When Ramsey approached the sidelines, he brushed Marrone away. When Marrone approached Ramsey moments later, safety Ronnie Harrison got between Marrone and Ramsey and the incident ended soon thereafter. Ramsey did not speak to the media following the game.

And Sexton wrote this

[font=NotoSerif] But I couldn’t believe when he went back into the game on the next Texans’ series just like I couldn’t believe Myles Jack still had the captain’s C on his chest when he was ran out onto the field in the pre-game. It’s beyond time for this team to grow up. The word accountability rings hollow in my ears tonight….[/font]

This team looks frustrated and there seems to be some disagreement between coaches and players as to what the problem is.

We beat ourselves way too much, always letting teams off the hook or helping them. We need to go back to eliminating those stupid mistakes, dumb penalties constantly putting us in 3rd and long, any play over 5 yards getting brought back for a flag

The OL isn't doing Fournette many favors, but neither is Fournette. People trash on him because he's a RB who was picked 4th overall, but he has zero vision and lacks the ability to create anything on his own. Those are two traits you really want in a RB, especially when they're drafted top 5.

The only way he can do anything is if he has a huge hole, or has a bunch of wide open space to build up a full head of steam. If neither of those are the case, he literally just runs straight into the back of his OL expecting the pile to move. It's really hard to watch a lot of the time.

Fournette sucks man. It’s just a fact at this point.

Dude had a wide open field with one man to beat and just rolled into him and fell over. Didn’t try and juke him or truck him.... just ran to him.

It was a terrible pick in 2017 and it’s still a bad pick 3 seasons later.

(09-15-2019, 08:51 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Just a couple of things from the Jags website.

Neither Marrone nor cornerback Jalen Ramsey discussed a first-quarter incident in which the two exchanged words. “There was a lot of emotion in the game,” Marrone said when asked what prompted the incident. “I can’t recall.” 

Ramsey during the previous drive had appeared to get upset when Marrone didn’t challenge a completed pass to Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins. “We have a process,” Marrone said when asked why he chose not to challenge. “We’ve done a very good job. Since I’ve been a head coach, we’re the best ones at winning them. We have a process that we have to confirm it, because timeouts are big. We had no one able to confirm if the ball was knocked out or not. I couldn’t see it because [Hopkins] he had his back to me.” When Ramsey approached the sidelines, he brushed Marrone away. When Marrone approached Ramsey moments later, safety Ronnie Harrison got between Marrone and Ramsey and the incident ended soon thereafter. Ramsey did not speak to the media following the game.

And Sexton wrote this

[font=NotoSerif] But I couldn’t believe when he went back into the game on the next Texans’ series just like I couldn’t believe Myles Jack still had the captain’s C on his chest when he was ran out onto the field in the pre-game. It’s beyond time for this team to grow up. The word accountability rings hollow in my ears tonight….[/font]

[

color=#555555][font=NotoSerif]This team looks frustrated and there seems to be some disagreement between coaches and players as to what the problem is.[/font][/color]

We beat ourselves way too much, always letting teams off the hook or helping them. We need to go back to eliminating those stupid mistakes, dumb penalties constantly putting us in 3rd and long, any play over 5 yards getting brought back for a flag

Penalties have been a constant theme under Marrone, every single week, for the entire time hes been HC here. We've been hearing him so they need to clean up the penalties for years, yet it's still a problem.. I don't see it changing any time soon.

As far as the 3rd and longs go... Stop running Fournette straight up the middle on 1st down for only 1 yard so [BLEEP] much. Maybe you'll have any easier chance at staying ahead of the chains on 2nd/3rd downs..

If Minshew can pull out a good performance with a win on TNF against our hated nemesis?

He'll be a legend here for months.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-15-2019, 09:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote: If Minshew can pull out a good performance with a win on TNF against our hated nemesis?

He'll be a legend here for months.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No kidding. On short week of preparation, legendary.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

What the heck are the people at the booth doing if they're not telling the Coach to throw the challenge flag since they saw the ball hit the ground?

Marrone is a player's coach. It's not working.

After 2 games, from what I've been reading on Twitter, Minshew is becoming a National Phenom..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(09-15-2019, 10:23 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: After 2 games, from what I've been reading on Twitter, Minshew is becoming a National Phenom..

Give it a few days.. If he's able to lead us too a win this Thursday, the hype is going to be huge.

Prime time = Minshew time..... All eyes will be watching on TNF..

(09-15-2019, 10:04 PM)jaglyn Wrote: What the heck are the people at the booth doing if they're not telling the Coach to throw the challenge flag since they saw the ball hit the ground?

That was my issue. I don't know if Marrone simply wasn't given the best information, but either way the decision not to challenge was the wrong one, and it was his decision to make.  I just hope these including the 2-point call at the end (would have been a bad call even if they did make it due to the risk) doesn't end up with him losing the locker room.
'02

(09-15-2019, 08:59 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Penalties have been a constant theme under Marrone, every single week, for the entire time hes been HC here. We've been hearing him so they need to clean up the penalties for years, yet it's still a problem.. I don't see it changing any time soon.

As far as the 3rd and longs go... Stop running Fournette straight up the middle on 1st down for only 1 yard so [BLEEP] much. Maybe you'll have any easier chance at staying ahead of the chains on 2nd/3rd downs..

Coaching decisions can be up and down for any coach but I agree, this trend has become a theme for this team. The players seem to feel like this is because it's somehow showing the passion of the team and Marrone when he comments on it seems to feel like it's not a huge deal. The amount of penalties should be unacceptable and it's up to the coaching staff to make that known.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-15-2019, 10:04 PM)jaglyn Wrote: What the heck are the people at the booth doing if they're not telling the Coach to throw the challenge flag since they saw the ball hit the ground?

Hopkins has such great hands, the ball could have touched the ground while he was still in control of it.  So if we had challenged, we might still have lost that challenge.  

Just playing devil's advocate.

(09-16-2019, 06:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Hopkins has such great hands, the ball could have touched the ground while he was still in control of it.  So if we had challenged, we might still have lost that challenge.  

Yeah, unless there's a shot of Hopkins dribbling the ball or anything that blatantly obvious, I'd be wary to risk the time out. Seems that the refs are tending toward upholding calls on the field unless it is an egregious miss.

So after two games, if we win on Thursday there's a solid chance both the Colts and Texans will lose...which means we'd still be tied for 1st. Crazy.

I don’t think Fournette is a bad player at all.

3rd and 20, LF swings out of the back field and picks up a first down. The next series, he swings out and catches the ball and picks up another first down.

If it were the 90s he would average 25 touches per game. But we’re playing from behind and can’t get him into a rhythm.

Our defense is still sacksonville.

Our kicking game is still top 5 in the league. Our special teams is average.

But our QB plays with a lot of fire and has a live arm. He’s pin point accurate and he throws a nice deep ball. He scrambles very effective too. He’s already forcing the coaches to rethink their plans for the future.

#68 on the offensive line gets whipped consistently on running plays.

We have the talent to win games. The issue is and has been for a while which is coaching. This has been really clear to me since we lost to the Patriots after winning the whole game, we relax in the game before the Super Bowl all we had to do was play 1 qtr of real d and we would have made it to the Super. The issue is the coaching, from lack of discipline to players not getting better, to players going elsewhere to players retiring. We really need to get rid of Marrone and Caldwell as well.

(09-16-2019, 06:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I agree, you can't assume it would be overturned just like you can't assume that Lambo would've kicked the extra point.

Without knowing what followed- the continuation of the Texans drive and a FG- was it worth throwing a challenge flag over a relatively insignificant play, a first down at midfield early in the game with a defense that good?

Coach's decision, not the players. Baloney made the right call IMO.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(09-16-2019, 04:09 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I don’t think Fournette is a bad player at all.

3rd and 20, LF swings out of the back field and picks up a first down. The next series, he swings out and catches the ball and picks up another first down.

If it were the 90s he would average 25 touches per game. But we’re playing from behind and can’t get him into a rhythm.

Our defense is still sacksonville.

Our kicking game is still top 5 in the league. Our special teams is average.

But our QB plays with a lot of fire and has a live arm. He’s pin point accurate and he throws a nice deep ball. He scrambles very effective too. He’s already forcing the coaches to rethink their plans for the future.

#68 on the offensive line gets whipped consistently on running plays.

You’re picking out the only thing he’s good at which is catching swing passes with blocking in place and a full head of steam.  As far as getting the tough short yardage and being able to impose your will on a defense, he’s below average and that’s a shame because that’s what he was drafted highly for among other things.