Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Best case scenario?

Things are looking pretty grim at the moment and it’s starting to feel like 2017 is going to be a as good as it gets.

But I’ve been trying to figure out if there’s a realistic chance of salvaging something from this mess.

Starting with Jalen and assuming they haven’t already decided he’s finished here, I think he could be persuaded to stay if the prospects for the team change. Because despite all the bluster, I think he does care about winning and the effect this has on his legacy. So, we either have to go on a winning run, or we have to lose the next few and see a change of head coach (either are possible).

Persuading Jalen to withdraw his trade request and ultimately tying him up to a new deal will provably go a long way to persuading Ngakoue to stay too and then you have the cornerstones of your “elite” defense all in place.

And unless Minshew can inspire this team to an unlikely playoff push, I think we are probably looking at a new head coach at the end of the season.

That to me feels like the option I’d like to see. But it just doesn’t seem realistic at this stage.

So is the best case scenario one which is similar to the one we are seeing at Miami?

We can probably get at least one first round pick for Jalen and if we want to go down that nuclear route, Fournette and Ngakoue might also get us some useful picks.

Then we start again and build around either Minshew or a QB from the draft.

Another rebuild is the last thing fans want, but is it the best way to escape the toxic mess we’ve landed in?

Or is there another “best case scenario”?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What I think will happen is if we lose Thursday it wouldn't surprise me at all if they trade Jalen AND Fire Doug. That will tell me that they are going to start a rebuild. We can still sign Ngakoue, but they will try to get a top tier qb. But I don't think they are going to trade Jalen without some serious draft picks for this year. Getting 2 firsts would be a big start and if we can get a good HC we would have 3 1sts going into the draft for a possible quick turn around. That's my guess. Personally I understand Jalen is a great player but offense win's in todays game in my opinion and I would rather have an elite offense and a bad defense (KC last year) than the opposite.
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."