Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Titans Game

This has been a trying week.  First we lost a game to the Texans we could have and perhaps should have won, and in the process, learned that Jalen Ramsey wants to be traded.  So when I tell you how good it feels to get a win over the hated tacks, believe it baby!  Words cannot express my elation!  My thoughts on the game...

1.  The Tacks reached Sacksonville city limits!  NINE (9) sacks was awesome!!! As dominant as he was tonight, this wasn't even Calais Campbell's best game.  Taven Bryan had either 1.5-2 sacks.  Combine that with his two pressures last week, it looks like he is making progress.  Smoot had a couple of sacks.  Only Ngakoue didn't have a sack.  But a great day all around for the D-Line.

2.  Continuing on the defense, I found it interesting that Bouye played RCB tonight while Ramsey played LCB.  Bouye had an outstanding night, and looked ready to step in.

3.  In a lot of ways this was a strange game, notable in part by the horrible games had by Fournette and Westbrook.  Fournette had no room to run and was in negative yardage for most of the game.  However, he had two fairly important plays despite all of the futility.  He had a one handed 3rd down catch that, although it didn't make a first down, put the team in much better FG position to help make the score 20-7.  Then he had a 69 yard run in the 4th quarter to put the ball deep in tack territory late in the game.  As for Westbrook, he had three drops, including what would have been Minshew's 3rd TD pass.  Had the tacks come back to win, thse two guys would have been big time goats. 

4.  Speaking of that last possession, what was Marrone thinking going for it instead of kicking the FG?  Take the points!

5.  The offensive line simply has to do better in run blocking, no two ways about it.  On top of that,we've got to cut out all of the holding penalties.

6.  Cook had an okay game and Lambo was like clockwork.  But the real hero of special teams was Leon Jacobs, who recovered the fumbled punt early in the game and had a good game shutting down Derrick Henry on the ground.

7.  Rookie Watch
  • Josh Allen-Played a part on the QB carnage tonight.  Had his first forced fumble of Mariota, I think he was credited with a sack when he bull rushed tack RT Conklin into Mariota, drew a holding penalty on Conklin, and had another pressure forcing a bad pass from Mariota.  Congrats!
  • Jawaan Taylor-Did a good job in pass protection, as Minshew was not harassed too much tonight.  Run blocking is problematic with him and every other lineman.
  • Josh Oliver-DNP
  • Quincy Williams-Did not have that whoa play like he had last Sunday, but I would say he played well.  I DO, however, wonder how in the hell he wound up covering Humphries.
  • Ryquell Armstead-Was not listed among the inactives, but I did not see him play.
  • Gardner Minshew II-had an outstanding game.  After the 1st quarter, by which time he had already thrown 2 TDs, I was wondering when the last time a Jaguars QB threw two TDs against the tacks.  Once again, he generally avoided bad throws, though he had one dangerous but accurate throw into double coverage.  He wasn't afraid to attack downfield on closely covered receivers, trusting them to make a play, and placing the ball perfectly and putting them in the position to do so.  As I referenced earlier, he should have had a third TD, but Westbrook dropped a perfectly thrown pass.  For Minshew to NOT have thrown an INT at this stage of his career, or for that matter to have many other look like a rookie type moments is more than anyone could reasonably expect, and I am absolutely thrilled.
  • Dontavious Russell-DNP
9.  Hope Jack is okay.

10.  Screw the tacks!

11.  D.J. Chark had yet another strong performance.  He caught contested balls, got vertical, and scored a TD, averaging almost 20 yards a reception.

12.  Bottom line-Though I don't want to see Ramsey get traded, I feel better about our short term  and longer term future right now.  We finally got our first win of the season, playing disciplined defense.  We finally beat the [BLEEP] Titans and guaranteed they will be in last place for the weekend due to two division losses and the head to head loss to us.  Though I am loathe to make this analysis, I can't help but think we caught a break with the schedule in the coming weeks with Darnold, Brees, and newton all seemingly unhealthy for our upcoming games.  With all of the rumored suitors for Ramsey, it's looking more and more like we'll get the 2 first round picks for Ramsey and maybe more if the team decides to grant his trade request.  Oh yeah...SCREW the tacks!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-20-2019, 12:41 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This has been a trying week.  First we lost a game to the Texans we could have and perhaps should have won, and in the process, learned that Jalen Ramsey wants to be traded.  So when I tell you how good it feels to get a win over the hated tacks, believe it baby!  Words cannot express my elation!  My thoughts on the game...

1.  The Tacks reached Sacksonville city limits!  NINE (9) sacks was awesome!!! As dominant as he was tonight, this wasn't even Calais Campbell's best game.  Taven Bryan had either 1.5-2 sacks.  Combine that with his two pressures last week, it looks like he is making progress.  Smoot had a couple of sacks.  Only Ngakoue didn't have a sack.  But a great day all around for the D-Line.

2.  Continuing on the defense, I found it interesting that Bouye played RCB tonight while Ramsey played LCB.  Bouye had an outstanding night, and looked ready to step in.

3.  In a lot of ways this was a strange game, notable in part by the horrible games had by Fournette and Westbrook.  Fournette had no room to run and was in negative yardage for most of the game.  However, he had two fairly important plays despite all of the futility.  He had a one handed 3rd down catch that, although it didn't make a first down, put the team in much better FG position to help make the score 20-7.  Then he had a 69 yard run in the 4th quarter to put the ball deep in tack territory late in the game.  As for Westbrook, he had three drops, including what would have been Minshew's 3rd TD pass.  Had the tacks come back to win, thse two guys would have been big time goats. 

4.  Speaking of that last possession, what was Marrone thinking going for it instead of kicking the FG?  Take the points!

5.  The offensive line simply has to do better in run blocking, no two ways about it.  On top of that,we've got to cut out all of the holding penalties.

6.  Cook had an okay game and Lambo was like clockwork.  But the real hero of special teams was Leon Jacobs, who recovered the fumbled punt early in the game and had a good game shutting down Derrick Henry on the ground.

7.  Rookie Watch
  • Josh Allen-Played a part on the QB carnage tonight.  Had his first forced fumble of Mariota, I think he was credited with a sack when he bull rushed tack RT Conklin into Mariota, drew a holding penalty on Conklin, and had another pressure forcing a bad pass from Mariota.  Congrats!
  • Jawaan Taylor-Did a good job in pass protection, as Minshew was not harassed too much tonight.  Run blocking is problematic with him and every other lineman.
  • Josh Oliver-DNP
  • Quincy Williams-Did not have that whoa play like he had last Sunday, but I would say he played well.  I DO, however, wonder how in the hell he wound up covering Humphries.
  • Ryquell Armstead-Was not listed among the inactives, but I did not see him play.
  • Gardner Minshew II-had an outstanding game.  After the 1st quarter, by which time he had already thrown 2 TDs, I was wondering when the last time a Jaguars QB threw two TDs against the tacks.  Once again, he generally avoided bad throws, though he had one dangerous but accurate throw into double coverage.  He wasn't afraid to attack downfield on closely covered receivers, trusting them to make a play, and placing the ball perfectly and putting them in the position to do so.  As I referenced earlier, he should have had a third TD, but Westbrook dropped a perfectly thrown pass.  For Minshew to NOT have thrown an INT at this stage of his career, or for that matter to have many other look like a rookie type moments is more than anyone could reasonably expect, and I am absolutely thrilled.
  • Dontavious Russell-DNP
9.  Hope Jack is okay.

10.  Screw the tacks!

11.  D.J. Chark had yet another strong performance.  He caught contested balls, got vertical, and scored a TD, averaging almost 20 yards a reception.

12.  Bottom line-Though I don't want to see Ramsey get traded, I feel better about our short term  and longer term future right now.  We finally got our first win of the season, playing disciplined defense.  We finally beat the [BLEEP] Titans and guaranteed they will be in last place for the weekend due to two division losses and the head to head loss to us.  Though I am loathe to make this analysis, I can't help but think we caught a break with the schedule in the coming weeks with Darnold, Brees, and newton all seemingly unhealthy for our upcoming games.  With all of the rumored suitors for Ramsey, it's looking more and more like we'll get the 2 first round picks for Ramsey and maybe more if the team decides to grant his trade request.  Oh yeah...SCREW the tacks!

If you'd told me before week 1 that Foles would be out, Fournette would be totally ineffective, and Westbrook would be dropping everything... I'd have said we would be screwed for sure... And yet, here we are. We may have just found out QB. I'm so freaking happy.

About the sack numbers:

Bryan has one, Allen and Smoot each have two, Campbell has three, and Jacobs and Dareus share a sack.

Nice summary Bullseye. While I am thrilled about minshews performances as anyone tonight he seemed a bit off on the dumpoff in the flat passes to the rb and te s.

Chark is a new Man this year. Let's hope Conley and Jack are ok.

Running game gets a big thumbs down.

Screw the tacks.

(09-20-2019, 12:57 AM)DragonFury Wrote: About the sack numbers:

Bryan has one, Allen and Smoot each have two, Campbell has three, and Jacobs and Dareus share a sack.

Thanks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Chark shouldn't have those ball skills. U expect speed and the ability to get by people. If the league thought he could take the ball away from defenders like that he goes in the top 15. Im really excited.

Minshew stepped up in the biggest game of the season with no running game. If we were consistently putting him in third and 4 instead of 3rd and nine we'd see a lot more points scored. You cant aak forvanymore from a backup qb.

Dede is better than those drops, the td was criminal with a rookie qb.

DL.... nough said.

Bouye looked magnificent.

Quincy Williams, yet another example that nfl scouting departments have greater reach than fan sites.

I wanna know how many of you are going to work tomorrow. 

Pretty chill on the board  Tongue

(09-20-2019, 01:40 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I wanna know how many of you are going to work tomorrow. 

I am working my Friday as we speak.. Stupid mid shift! I got to watch the game at least. What a game it was!

(09-20-2019, 01:54 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 01:40 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I wanna know how many of you are going to work tomorrow. 

I am working my Friday as we speak.. Stupid mid shift! I got to watch the game at least. What a game it was!

I don't even know what that is but hopefully the win floats you through!

(09-20-2019, 02:01 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 01:54 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: I am working my Friday as we speak.. Stupid mid shift! I got to watch the game at least. What a game it was!

I don't even know what that is but hopefully the win floats you through!

mid shift is basically graveyard/3rd shift. 10p-6a on Friday's.

(09-20-2019, 12:41 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This has been a trying week.  First we lost a game to the Texans we could have and perhaps should have won, and in the process, learned that Jalen Ramsey wants to be traded.  So when I tell you how good it feels to get a win over the hated tacks, believe it baby!  Words cannot express my elation!  My thoughts on the game...

7.  Rookie Watch
  • Josh Oliver-DNP
  • Dontavious Russell-DNP
9.  Hope Jack is okay.

10.  Screw the tacks!

1. Absolutely great game by the D-Line. With the money we're gonna save once Ramsey is traded, we need to re-structure and extend Calais Campbell. That guy really is the heart and soul of the defense. 

2. When we played man coverage, the secondary looked fantastic, but it drove me nuts every time we dropped into soft zone. When we did that, we were giving up big plays. Why couldn't Wash see that. There was no need to play zone in this game. Everything was working. The DB's excel in man to man, the D-Line was getting tons of pressure and Mariota was missing receivers right and left, until we played off coverage. 

3&4. Other than the long run, Fournette looked terrible. He was slow to hit the holes, when there was holes, which wasn't very often. He also fell down a few times with no one around him and did a lot of straight ahead running, up the back of his blockers. He's been doing this a a lot and it's alarming. Westbrook had a very off night. He dropped a lot of passes and just didn't look himself. While we're on the subject of Westbrook, could someone explain to me why we had two tall receivers in Conley and Chark on the field on 4th down and goal, yet we throw a fade to our shortest receiver (Westbrook?) Why have tall receivers if we're not gonna utilize them in the redzone? 

5. Holding penalties are up all over the league, but you're right, the run blocking has been atrocious, but we're also doing nothing to disguise our runs. I was literally calling the running plays before they happened. The formations were so obvious. 

6. Agreed. 

7. Josh Allen looked great and I am now officially on the Gardner Minshew train. The kid is super accurate, instinctive and composed in the pocket. I was totally wrong about him. When they took the reigns off him, he looks like a franchise QB. This kid is fun to watch and has a great personality. I really look forward to watching him grow as a starting QB. We just need to get him some help in the running game. 

11. Chark is really starting to show why I had him rated as the #1 WR in the 2018 draft. We've got a bonafide deep threat.

Amen, screw the tacks!

The focus this team came out with after what transpired this week was refreshing.  The defense looked a lot like the 2017 defense although Mariota certainly helped with that as well.  I was pleasantly surprised that we did this well containing Henry.  It helps having a couple of solid tacklers like Josh Allen and Quincy Williams added to the team.  We must've really put the focus on Watson last week (for good reason) and sort of just did enough against the run when we had to.  This week the focus looked to be on Henry and keeping Mariota in the pocket (and destroying him in the pocket).  I liked putting Jalen on Delanie Walker at times.  He's always killed us.  Bouye played well, Bryan keeps getting better, Josh Allen had a good night, and Campbell still has it!

Offensively, the more we get away from predictable runs on first down the better off we'll be.  With the way the offensive line is run blocking and the way Fournette is running, we need to use the pass to set up the run and not vice versa.  However, as ineffective as the offensive line was in the run game, they were night and day better in pass blocking than against Houston.  Minshew had a clean pocket for much of the night and I'm convinced if we do that, he'll find a way to keep making plays.  Shout out to Cam Robinson seemingly playing well in his first game back.  It's still baffling that we're not giving other running backs some carries especially with Fournette struggling and after his 69 yard run?

They say winning cures everything.  I don't know if it can cure Ramsey wanting out of Jacksonville, but it's our best hope.  Unless we get an offer that blows us away, I don't us trading him as long as he plays hard while he's still here.  And I have no questions about his effort tonight.

I think Richardson may have supplanted Cann tonight. 

They were rotating in and out.

(09-20-2019, 02:35 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I think Richardson may have supplanted Cann tonight. 

I missed that.  I'll have to look for it when I rewatch the game.  I'm all for it though.

(09-20-2019, 02:38 AM)jagfan0728 Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 02:35 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I think Richardson may have supplanted Cann tonight. 

I missed that.  I'll have to look for it when I rewatch the game.  I'm all for it though.

Lots of OL rotations. Robinson was in and out as well.

Fournette finished the game with 15 carries, for 66 yards... That's after having a 69 yard run.... Why is this guy continuing to get 100% of the playing time/carries....

Is the front office forcing this coaching staff to play him, or is the coaching staff just that stupid? I'd bet it's a bit of both honestly.

(09-20-2019, 02:55 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Fournette finished the game with 15 carries, for 66 yards... That's after having a 69 yard run.... Why is this guy continuing to get 100% of the playing time/carries....

Is the front office forcing this coaching staff to play him, or is the coaching staff just that stupid? I'd bet it's a bit of both honestly.

It's so bizarre I'm starting to wonder if it's out of spite or something. 

Clearly gassed on the long run, they gave it back to him, he tripped and fell down. Then they ran him again. What the hell.

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2019, 04:47 AM by Eric1.)

(09-20-2019, 04:00 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 02:55 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Fournette finished the game with 15 carries, for 66 yards... That's after having a 69 yard run.... Why is this guy continuing to get 100% of the playing time/carries....

It's so bizarre I'm starting to wonder if it's out of spite or something. 

Clearly gassed on the long run, they gave it back to him, he tripped and fell down. Then they ran him again. What the hell.

Right? He did leave and go to Wyoming this off season. I'd like to think that has nothing to do with it, but you never know.

I get trying to give him plenty of chances, but you carry more than one RB on the roster for a reason. At least give the other guy/s a chance. I think the only carry any other RB has got in 3 games was Armstead, who gained 7 yards on his 1 carry.

I'm actually curious if there's any other team in the league (besides us) who has given literally every single carry to just 1 RB in these first 2/3 weeks.

Great, great, win.

Last year's draft is looking better and better. Taven Bryan is not a bust. DJ Chark has taken a HUGE leap forward.

But then of course the biggest thing is that we might have found a starting quality QB in the sixth round. Could Minshew be the best value draft pick in team history? A rookie in his second start, he can read defenses like a veteran, he finds the open man, he throws super-accurate passes, he doesn't make mistakes, and he never gets rattled. This is with no running game and no starting quality TE.

But, again, Minshew is looking like the greatest late round draft pick in team history. This is really big.

(09-20-2019, 05:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Great, great, win.  

Last year's draft is looking better and better.  Taven Bryan is not a bust.  DJ Chark has taken a HUGE leap forward.  

But then of course the biggest thing is that we might have found a starting quality QB in the sixth round.   Could Minshew be the best value draft pick in team history?   A rookie in his second start, he can read defenses like a veteran, he finds the open man, he throws super-accurate passes, he doesn't make mistakes, and he never gets rattled.   This is with no running game and no starting quality TE.  

But, again, Minshew is looking like the greatest late round draft pick in team history.  This is really big.

And on a short week of preparation.  He was a tad off on his throws while moving the pocket but he knew it and admitted it during the post game on NFL Network. Man I don't want to get too crazy but what a gamer.

And yeah screw the tacks.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.