Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Titans Game

Agreed on all fronts with the OP.

I need to rewatch to confirm, but Najee Goode seemed to do a nice job filling in for Jack.
Also the PBU from Harrison was encouraging to see.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-20-2019, 12:41 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This has been a trying week.  First we lost a game to the Texans we could have and perhaps should have won, and in the process, learned that Jalen Ramsey wants to be traded.  So when I tell you how good it feels to get a win over the hated tacks, believe it baby!  Words cannot express my elation!  My thoughts on the game...

1.  The Tacks reached Sacksonville city limits!  NINE (9) sacks was awesome!!! As dominant as he was tonight, this wasn't even Calais Campbell's best game.  Taven Bryan had either 1.5-2 sacks.  Combine that with his two pressures last week, it looks like he is making progress.  Smoot had a couple of sacks.  Only Ngakoue didn't have a sack.  But a great day all around for the D-Line.

2.  Continuing on the defense, I found it interesting that Bouye played RCB tonight while Ramsey played LCB.  Bouye had an outstanding night, and looked ready to step in.

3.  In a lot of ways this was a strange game, notable in part by the horrible games had by Fournette and Westbrook.  Fournette had no room to run and was in negative yardage for most of the game.  However, he had two fairly important plays despite all of the futility.  He had a one handed 3rd down catch that, although it didn't make a first down, put the team in much better FG position to help make the score 20-7.  Then he had a 69 yard run in the 4th quarter to put the ball deep in tack territory late in the game.  As for Westbrook, he had three drops, including what would have been Minshew's 3rd TD pass.  Had the tacks come back to win, thse two guys would have been big time goats. 

4.  Speaking of that last possession, what was Marrone thinking going for it instead of kicking the FG?  Take the points!

5.  The offensive line simply has to do better in run blocking, no two ways about it.  On top of that,we've got to cut out all of the holding penalties.

6.  Cook had an okay game and Lambo was like clockwork.  But the real hero of special teams was Leon Jacobs, who recovered the fumbled punt early in the game and had a good game shutting down Derrick Henry on the ground.

7.  Rookie Watch
  • Josh Allen-Played a part on the QB carnage tonight.  Had his first forced fumble of Mariota, I think he was credited with a sack when he bull rushed tack RT Conklin into Mariota, drew a holding penalty on Conklin, and had another pressure forcing a bad pass from Mariota.  Congrats!
  • Jawaan Taylor-Did a good job in pass protection, as Minshew was not harassed too much tonight.  Run blocking is problematic with him and every other lineman.
  • Josh Oliver-DNP
  • Quincy Williams-Did not have that whoa play like he had last Sunday, but I would say he played well.  I DO, however, wonder how in the hell he wound up covering Humphries.
  • Ryquell Armstead-Was not listed among the inactives, but I did not see him play.
  • Gardner Minshew II-had an outstanding game.  After the 1st quarter, by which time he had already thrown 2 TDs, I was wondering when the last time a Jaguars QB threw two TDs against the tacks.  Once again, he generally avoided bad throws, though he had one dangerous but accurate throw into double coverage.  He wasn't afraid to attack downfield on closely covered receivers, trusting them to make a play, and placing the ball perfectly and putting them in the position to do so.  As I referenced earlier, he should have had a third TD, but Westbrook dropped a perfectly thrown pass.  For Minshew to NOT have thrown an INT at this stage of his career, or for that matter to have many other look like a rookie type moments is more than anyone could reasonably expect, and I am absolutely thrilled.
  • Dontavious Russell-DNP
9.  Hope Jack is okay.

10.  Screw the tacks!

11.  D.J. Chark had yet another strong performance.  He caught contested balls, got vertical, and scored a TD, averaging almost 20 yards a reception.

12.  Bottom line-Though I don't want to see Ramsey get traded, I feel better about our short term  and longer term future right now.  We finally got our first win of the season, playing disciplined defense.  We finally beat the [BLEEP] Titans and guaranteed they will be in last place for the weekend due to two division losses and the head to head loss to us.  Though I am loathe to make this analysis, I can't help but think we caught a break with the schedule in the coming weeks with Darnold, Brees, and newton all seemingly unhealthy for our upcoming games.  With all of the rumored suitors for Ramsey, it's looking more and more like we'll get the 2 first round picks for Ramsey and maybe more if the team decides to grant his trade request.  Oh yeah...SCREW the tacks!

Great recap as always Bullseye. 

I'm so very very happy today. Finally beat those brother-sister lovers. I had big fears for yesterday. It had all the ingredients of a disaster.

1-D line was fantastic all game. Did a great job keeping Henry from hitting full speed and getting to 2nd level, plenty of guys tackling those legs. The T*tans were only missing their LT. Really happy for Smoot and Bryan. Stepping up.

4- We need to talk about Marrones 4th down calls. I get being brave but also let's just take points when they are right on front of us.

6- Lambo is a beast. So lucky to have him.
10- Agree
12- Agree. Hes balling out.

I'm so blown away by Minshew. No running game last night, how many 1st and 20 and 2nd and 18 but he made some really nice throws and he trusts his arm, put some in tight spots. The weather was awful last night and had plenty of drops aswell but he kept us going.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnaut/status/11...ut-cold%2F

This could be the concussion that leads to many more. These things tend to be very problematic for LBs. Nice tackle though.

(09-20-2019, 10:25 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: https://twitter.com/Sportsnaut/status/11...ut-cold%2F

This could be the concussion that leads to many more. These things tend to be very problematic for LBs. Nice tackle though.

That ridiculous contract for him looks dumber and dumber every minute.

(09-20-2019, 10:25 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: https://twitter.com/Sportsnaut/status/11...ut-cold%2F

The league is asking too much of players. Players dont want you going low, league doesn't want you going high, so you need to position yourself square one and aim to hit the torso. All while running at full speed and the O player doing whatever ge can to avoid you.

(09-20-2019, 10:22 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 12:41 AM)Bullseye Wrote: This has been a trying week.  First we lost a game to the Texans we could have and perhaps should have won, and in the process, learned that Jalen Ramsey wants to be traded.  So when I tell you how good it feels to get a win over the hated tacks, believe it baby!  Words cannot express my elation!  My thoughts on the game...

1.  The Tacks reached Sacksonville city limits!  NINE (9) sacks was awesome!!! As dominant as he was tonight, this wasn't even Calais Campbell's best game.  Taven Bryan had either 1.5-2 sacks.  Combine that with his two pressures last week, it looks like he is making progress.  Smoot had a couple of sacks.  Only Ngakoue didn't have a sack.  But a great day all around for the D-Line.

2.  Continuing on the defense, I found it interesting that Bouye played RCB tonight while Ramsey played LCB.  Bouye had an outstanding night, and looked ready to step in.

12.  Bottom line-Though I don't want to see Ramsey get traded, I feel better about our short term  and longer term future right now.  We finally got our first win of the season, playing disciplined defense.  We finally beat the [BLEEP] Titans and guaranteed they will be in last place for the weekend due to two division losses and the head to head loss to us.  Though I am loathe to make this analysis, I can't help but think we caught a break with the schedule in the coming weeks with Darnold, Brees, and newton all seemingly unhealthy for our upcoming games.  With all of the rumored suitors for Ramsey, it's looking more and more like we'll get the 2 first round picks for Ramsey and maybe more if the team decides to grant his trade request.  Oh yeah...SCREW the tacks!

Great recap as always Bullseye. 

I'm so very very happy today. Finally beat those brother-sister lovers. I had big fears for yesterday. It had all the ingredients of a disaster.

1-D line was fantastic all game. Did a great job keeping Henry from hitting full speed and getting to 2nd level, plenty of guys tackling those legs. The T*tans were only missing their LT. Really happy for Smoot and Bryan. Stepping up.

4- We need to talk about Marrones 4th down calls. I get being brave but also let's just take points when they are right on front of us.

10- Agree

I'm so blown away by Minshew. No running game last night, how many 1st and 20 and 2nd and 18 but he made some really nice throws and he trusts his arm, put some in tight spots. The weather was awful last night and had plenty of drops aswell but he kept us going.

I feel like the Marrone 4th down calls and conversion attempts stem from a desire to “rally the troops” by showing and instilling confidence. 

Of course, it’s possible to take that notion a step too far.

Fournette on the field for 54 out of 54 offensive snaps. I have nothing more to say about it that I haven't already said.

It was a good stop but I remember thinking immediately afterwards that stopping Derrick Henry in such dramatic fashion is going to come at a price.

(09-20-2019, 09:00 AM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: -Minshew played well, though I'm not quite ready to anoint him the savior like everyone else.  That said, he's a sixth round rookie QB who's playing better than we have any right to expect him to.  I'd love to see him work out -- but I'm not ready to say we've found our QB until we score 28+ in a couple of games.  It's not all on him, though. Much of it has been coaching and run blocking.  Would love to get to see how he does when we've got an RB who doesn't run for negative yards  on most plays.

-Who's idea was it to run on first down so much?  Do we NOT adjust the gameplan accorrding to what's working and what's not?  Why do we always seem to have a coach that has no idea how to adjust?  I feel with some adjustments, last nights game could've been a blowout.  

-Going for the TD on 4th down.... part of me understands and likes the decision.  It's gutsy, but not too risky.  But part of me also thinks you've gotta take the points there, and put the game away.  Titans getting 2 TD"s with 3 minutes left?  Possible.  Titans getting 2 TD's and completing 2 2 point conversions?  Much harder.

Understandable, but it's been sooooooo long since we've seen good QB play in Jacksonville, that you can't blame fans for getting overly excited. The kid has played very well and he certainly knows how to market himself.

(09-20-2019, 10:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 10:22 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Great recap as always Bullseye. 

10- Agree

I feel like the Marrone 4th down calls and conversion attempts stem from a desire to “rally the troops” by showing and instilling confidence. 

Thats all I'm saying. I just didn't like the play all in Houston, I have no issue going for 2 and getting the W but I didn't get we didn't just kick last night.

We could onside kick every kickoff but it's not brave. You get what I'm saying?

How was it last night? Looked wet!!!

(09-20-2019, 10:42 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 10:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I feel like the Marrone 4th down calls and conversion attempts stem from a desire to “rally the troops” by showing and instilling confidence. 

Thats all I'm saying. I just didn't like the play all in Houston, I have no issue going for 2 and getting the W but I didn't get we didn't just kick last night.

It rained for a few minutes pregame and then again 3 more times briefly during the game. 
I used a poncho a couple of times when it got semi heavy. Was never really bad.

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2019, 12:34 PM by JackCity.)

The Jaguars defense had 27 pressures last night.

Mariota threw 40 times...that's pressure on almost 70% of drop backs. An insane figure and I bet some other poor teams will be on the receiving end of that this year

Update : he actually had 51 drop backs..so that's 50% pressure rate or so.. still amazing

(09-20-2019, 10:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 10:42 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: Thats all I'm saying. I just didn't like the play all in Houston, I have no issue going for 2 and getting the W but I didn't get we didn't just kick last night.

It rained for a few minutes pregame and then again 3 more times briefly during the game. 

I got caught in the late shower walking to my car. Stood under the Hart Bridge Expressway near Intuition for about half an hour.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-20-2019, 11:03 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 10:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It rained for a few minutes pregame and then again 3 more times briefly during the game. 

I got caught in the late shower walking to my car. Stood under the Hart Bridge Expressway near Intuition for about half an hour.

I was oddly lucky that I had to leave just before that big run by Fournette. (I had a midnight bus call time for work travel.) 
So I was probably exiting the hart bridge on the other side when that happened.

Quincy Williams really looking like a great pick now in the 4th

(09-20-2019, 10:59 AM)JackCity Wrote: The Jaguars defense had 27 pressures last night.

Mariota threw 40 times...that's pressure on almost 70% of drop backs. An insane figure and I bet some other poor teams will be on the receiving end of that this year
Wait wait wait.... I thought this defense was a joke?!

(09-20-2019, 11:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 10:59 AM)JackCity Wrote: The Jaguars defense had 27 pressures last night.

Wait wait wait.... I thought this defense was a joke?!

They were a joke until they aren't a joke.  That is how it works with impressions.

Honestly though I'm eating some mental crow with how much better Bryan played at DT.  His instincts were much better and he moved well.  I just really, really hope we see QB growth because dang we have a really nice start.  A young cheap QB is heaven for paying other players and delaying cap hell.  Honestly I'm not surprised the owner was saying lets pay Ramsey after watching Minshew manage a game and drop throws on target and on time.  We haven't had someone read a defense and beat man press in years as a WR/QB combo.  Honestly strong QB play sure unleashes your pass rush and we have a nice group of them.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-20-2019, 09:13 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: The only thing I didn't like about the performance last night was that sometimes he (Minshew) ran in situations where it couldn't lead to a positive outcome. Things like running on third and long with a defender staring right at him in zone. In cases like that if he won't get five yards on third and  fifteen I'd rather see him either scramble to get time for getting a pass off and keep his eyes on the receivers, or just throw it away rather than risking a hit.

Agreed but it's hard to remember at times that he's a rookie starting his second NFL game. He plays so much like a veteran at times that when he does show a little inexperience it tends to stand out.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

"We’ve lost two games this year but we haven’t lost a party,"
and last night friends was a PARTY!
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(09-20-2019, 07:35 AM)Psychop1 Wrote: I just want to say congratulations to you guys. I know that's a monkey that's been on your back for a while now, and it looks like you guys found a good QB. Minshew looked like a polished veteran out there. Our 5th year QB continues to look like a scrub. Hope you guys have a terrible rest of the season, but good job kicking our butts last night.

I second this.  [BLEEP] we looked bad.  Definitely time to move on from MM.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.