Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The New Era of Gardner Minshew stunted by Jags HC

(09-22-2019, 11:43 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 11:10 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: That number didn't even count this season - and Fournette has run out of a three wide receiver set this season on a significant number of snaps. That unloads the box, and it hasn't helped.  When your 5 guys up front are getting flat beat, it's hard to make space for a powerback with very little agility or ability to improvise.

It's six on one side, half a dozen on the other. Teams are still stacking the box because they're daring a sixth round rookie to beat them through the air. But at the same time the line isn't getting any kind of push at all. Against the tinhorns they needed two attempts to gain a single yard and even then they only got it because of a rather generous spot from the refs.
I'll just try to drive this home one more time because I feel like it's being ignored. LF has run out of 3WR sets this year fairly often and it hasn't helped. After week two the Jags offense had run 71% of it's snaps from a 3WR formation which was third most in the league IIRC. 

Hint: you can't stack the box against 3WRs unless you leave them all in single man coverage with no help over the top - and basically no DC will ever do that. They'll leave a safety back from the LOS at the very least.

Stacked boxes are being made too much of in this run game/Fournette discussion IMO.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Jags don't really have a the personnel to be a more open, amorphous offense.

Move TE, Oliver is still on the shelf. and they don't have a true pass-catching RB who can run routes similar to a WR. LF can catch, but he is not a great route runner, which is why they never ask him to do it.

Any other vertical passing that is not based on motioning, would require either somewhat better pass-blocking (they have been average not really above average), or a whole lot more of play-action.

(09-22-2019, 11:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 11:43 AM)DragonFury Wrote: It's six on one side, half a dozen on the other. Teams are still stacking the box because they're daring a sixth round rookie to beat them through the air. But at the same time the line isn't getting any kind of push at all. Against the tinhorns they needed two attempts to gain a single yard and even then they only got it because of a rather generous spot from the refs.
I'll just try to drive this home one more time because I feel like it's being ignored. LF has run out of 3WR sets this year fairly often and it hasn't helped. After week two the Jags offense had run 71% of it's snaps from a 3WR formation which was third most in the league IIRC. 

Hint: you can't stack the box against 3WRs unless you leave them all in single man coverage with no help over the top - and basically no DC will ever do that. They'll leave a safety back from the LOS at the very least.

Stacked boxes are being made too much of in this run game/Fournette discussion IMO.

Its not really too many defenders in the box.

Its more that the 0-line has not been able to beat defenders off the line. Also they guys asked to pull block are getting their spots late. So the intended hole is late or does materialize. Results in penetration and plays needing to go off script. Good part of this is that Linder and Norwell not playing up to the level they need to.

Also, LF style is better in a power run scheme than zone. He is not really patient in the backfield and he often overthinks a new hole that was not the play design. He not the fastest laterally, so his jump cut to get to a different gap won't beat fast LB who can react.

Basically, if feels they have the wrong mix of personnel and running scheme.

(09-22-2019, 12:53 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 11:58 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'll just try to drive this home one more time because I feel like it's being ignored. LF has run out of 3WR sets this year fairly often and it hasn't helped. After week two the Jags offense had run 71% of it's snaps from a 3WR formation which was third most in the league IIRC. 

Its not really too many defenders in the box.

Its more that the 0-line has not been able to beat defenders off the line. Also they guys asked to pull block are getting their spots late. So the intended hole is late or does materialize. Results in penetration and plays needing to go off script. Good part of this is that Linder and Norwell not playing up to the level they need to.

Also, LF style is better in a power run scheme than zone. He is not really patient in the backfield and he often overthinks a new hole that was not the play design. He not the fastest laterally, so his jump cut to get to a different gap won't beat fast LB who can react.

Basically, if feels they have the wrong mix of personnel and running scheme.

Agreed.  The "too many stacked boxes" narrative is not the current issue.  (perhaps only  a factor on 20% of the run plays or so) 
 It will be interesting to see how DeFilippo counters these running issues and how soon he makes adjustments.

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2019, 02:23 PM by Jagsbch.)

(09-20-2019, 09:53 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 09:51 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: Maybe you’re right veteran. Just can’t imagine it being worst, considering what a phenomenal offensive mind TC possess.

Josh McDaniels would be awesome! Love to see him get another shot at being a head coach. He built a super bowl team in Denver. And Elway came in and just dashed what would have been a phenomenal coaching career IMO if they just let McDaniels play out the hand he put together. What he and Brady did, well he has a perfect candidate to run the exact same scheme with Minshew at the helm IMO!

The Colts would like to talk with you...

(09-21-2019, 11:46 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 11:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: They just did an interview with Minshew at the WSU game. He's half lit. Or at least appears that way.

I saw that haha..

Off topic, Mike Leach has himself another QB with an arm.. Good lookin kid. Can fling it..

He looked like he is in his element on and off the field.

https://twitter.com/Local24Jessica/statu...45536?s=20

https://twitter.com/espn/status/11756009...79522?s=20

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/...98721?s=20

Now I see why he led the team in rushing against the Texans. Look how stout his legs look on the first video.

Scouting report on Josh Dobbs:

DOBBS, Joshua. 6'3", 216, 4.65. Quick release, good arm strength. Struggles with accuracy on deep passes. Effective scrambler who can keep the defense guessing long enough to find a check-down receiver. Sure-handed; held Gardner Minshew's beer on the sidelines all year without fumbling it.

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2019, 07:16 PM by Jagsbch.)

Ravens and Chiefs game, I’m listening to the call and heard they ought to be stacking the secondary on the Chiefs, instead of the offensive line, I was floored. That’s exactly what they ought to be saying about the Jaguars verses Broncos next week once the head coach wraps this thread around his head like a Minshew bandana.

Doug and Harbaugh get this weeks coaching stupidity award. Harbaugh, news flash, he isn’t that good. News flash Doug, he is that good. Deep pass on either first or second down every series. Preferably 1st down. To establish the run! 

Going for it on 4th down on your own side of the field, and a two point conversion flop clinic to boot? Ravens QB looked rattled by the Chiefs defense. I think we can put the Chiefs have a suspect defense argument to bed now! I’m sure Minshew would whole heartedly agree to that! I can just see him at the end of the  bar saying ‘oh hell yeah to that!

“ King of the world”

https://twitter.com/AlexTheGreat_55/stat...19520?s=20

Can I help it if I, still dream time to time?

https://youtu.be/2SF1iLXSQto

You know, I'm kinda glad this topic was raised. As I sat at the bar, elated that an early fumble gave us a quick lead and the defense seemed to be stopping everything the tacks seemed to try, I looked to my friend and remarked how impressed I was that, despite the miserable weather, we were still tossing the ball downfield and not just turtling into a 3 runs and hope to move the chains offense.

Quite conservative.

The Jags conservative and inept offensive scheme is stunting Minshew so badly they dialed up these passes for the kid before 9 minutes of football had passed in the first quarter on a rainy night.

[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-23-2019, 09:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The Jags conservative and inept offensive scheme is stunting Minshew so badly they dialed up these passes for the kid before 9 minutes of football had passed in the first quarter on a rainy night.

One more:

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019, 10:14 AM by Jagsbch.)

When a DC see’s 2 deep pass attempts per game on 1st and 2nd down in the games Minshew started, how’s that going to impact the running game and the dink and dunk scheme when the DC has no choice but to stack the box as a result of the predictable play calling on 1st and 2nd down except put us in a third and long to be even more predictable on our deep passing game?

Teams don't stack the box unless the offensive formation dictates it or they have zero respect for the passing game and neither of those things are happening against the Jags like you want to pretend they are since the Jags are putting 3 wide receivers on the field very frequently therefore negating the stacked box possibility, and run on sentences are really fun, unlike your fictional diagnoses of this offense.

(09-23-2019, 10:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Teams don't stack the box unless the offensive formation dictates it or they have zero respect for the passing game and neither of those things are happening against the Jags like you want to pretend they are since the Jags are putting 3 wide receivers on the field very frequently therefore negating the stacked box possibility, and run on sentences are really fun, unlike your fictional diagnoses of this offense.

"Buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye."

~Cypher
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/playc...ncies.html

A great site to look into our offensive tendencies. Worth a look.

(09-23-2019, 10:28 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/playc...ncies.html

Great resource. 

And that site says that the Jags have thrown the ball beyond 11 yards 15 times on 2nd down this season.
Thus crushing the fictional ramblings of the OP.

(09-23-2019, 10:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 10:28 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/playc...ncies.html

Great resource. 

And that site says that the Jags have thrown the ball beyond 11 yards 15 times on 2nd down this season.
Thus crushing the fictional ramblings of the OP.

Yep, lol.

Ahhh, this is the MB I'm used to.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2019, 10:31 PM by Jagsbch.)

Hey New York, your comprehension skills need some serious tweaking. I suggest you go back to the site and watch the video tutorial on how to comprehend what your actually viewing before rambling on with your fictional point of view.

Stat you are alluding too sights yards not how deep the QB threw the pass, furthermore the 11 yards are broken down into percentages pass to run. Get a clue!

You can verify what I said by simply checking espn stats and play by play. They sight short and deep passes there.

(09-23-2019, 10:30 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: Hey New York, your comprehension skills need some serious tweaking. I suggest you go back to the site and watch the video tutorial on how to comprehend what your actually viewing before rambling on with your fictional point of view.

Stat you are alluding too sights yards not how deep the QB threw the pass, furthermore the 11 yards are broken down into percentages pass to run. Get a clue!

You can verify what I said by simply checking espn stats and play by play. They sight short and deep passes there.

Great.

So in the 2.75 games Minshew has played he's thrown passes that went for 11+ yards 8 times on second down.  That still foils your claim.
Also I just showed you (gifs) three deep passes from merely the first quarter of the TNF game. 
Your theory is absurd.