Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taven Bryan taking the next step?

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2019, 03:42 AM by knarnn.)

(10-27-2019, 09:40 PM)archer56 Wrote: He is making dariius expendable for sure and that was the objective drafting him. Make the people we cut and are going to cut expendable. Im glad that explosive first step is really showing up this year. I like watching him get off the ball and on one of those sacks for allen or yan he literally man handled bis guy into the QBs lap and the replay got him throwing the dude to the ground like a ragdoll.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one to catch that. He straight up mauled the RG into the turf on top of Darnold. Darnold had no chance to step up.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Bryan is continuing to prove he's turned a corner.  If his film study improves and he starts to diagnose offensive formations better, he could become a starter at 3 tech.

I feel good about him as a quality rotational DT right now  -  and I find it humorous that so much of this board had already labeled him a bust just three months ago.
(same goes for Smoot and Chark -  Richardson and Cole are honorable mentions for being written off too)

(10-28-2019, 09:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Bryan is continuing to prove he's turned a corner.  If his film study improves and he starts to diagnose offensive formations better, he could become a starter at 3 tech.

I feel good about him as a quality rotational DT right now  -  and I find it humorous that so much of this board had already labeled him a bust just three months ago.
(same goes for Smoot and Chark -  Richardson and Cole are honorable mentions for being written off too)

In fairness to the board, Smoot had done absolutely jack poop nothing in two years since being drafted. His four sacks this year are a wonderful added bonus to a pass rush that's already looking on par with the best of them, but writing him off as a bust coming into the season was, imo, justitifed, even if he has completely turned the corner now.

(10-28-2019, 11:00 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 09:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Bryan is continuing to prove he's turned a corner.  If his film study improves and he starts to diagnose offensive formations better, he could become a starter at 3 tech.

In fairness to the board, Smoot had done absolutely jack poop nothing in two years since being drafted. His four sacks this year are a wonderful added bonus to a pass rush that's already looking on par with the best of them, but writing him off as a bust coming into the season was, imo, justitifed, even if he has completely turned the corner now.

I disagree. 

Writing off a young player who saw the field so infrequently is premature -  and this board does it like gangbusters every year.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2019, 11:56 AM by Mowerguy.)

Loved all the sacks yesterday by the D .....especially when darnold got "Smooted" ....he was looking like..."Dang...are they ever going too quit?"
It was def a sack fest!
apologies to the mod.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(10-28-2019, 11:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 11:00 AM)TJBender Wrote: In fairness to the board, Smoot had done absolutely jack poop nothing in two years since being drafted. His four sacks this year are a wonderful added bonus to a pass rush that's already looking on par with the best of them, but writing him off as a bust coming into the season was, imo, justitifed, even if he has completely turned the corner now.

I disagree. 

Writing off a young player who saw the field so infrequently is premature -  and this board does it like gangbusters every year.

Exactly. This board wrote off Uche Nwaneri a year into his career long ago. Then after some injuries to the interior line in 2008 he becomes a mainstay and possibly the best Guard we've had here since Manuwai. If i've learned one thing it's that this board is REACTIONARY!
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(10-28-2019, 11:00 AM)TJBender Wrote:

Not really.  It's rare for rookies to come into the league and make an immediate impact,especially playing in a rotational position.  It's even more rare for a rookie playing behind much better talent.

As it relates to Bryan most wrote him off as a "bust" because he was a first round pick... even though that pick was 29th overall.  Bottom of first round picks are rarely "stars" at their position in this league.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/11885...97861?s=19

Could argue Bryan created that.

(10-28-2019, 01:57 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 11:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I disagree. 

Exactly. This board wrote off Uche Nwaneri a year into his career long ago. Then after some injuries to the interior line in 2008 he becomes a mainstay and possibly the best Guard we've had here since Manuwai. If i've learned one thing it's that this board is REACTIONARY!

Oh man, I loved Uche..

(10-28-2019, 04:36 PM)Dockerill91 Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 01:57 PM)Firesky Wrote: Exactly. This board wrote off Uche Nwaneri a year into his career long ago. Then after some injuries to the interior line in 2008 he becomes a mainstay and possibly the best Guard we've had here since Manuwai. If i've learned one thing it's that this board is REACTIONARY!

Oh man, I loved Uche..

My lasting memory of Uche will always be how blazing fast TMD backed off his goofy insults when Uche posted to the board. So funny.

(10-28-2019, 04:29 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/11885...97861?s=19

I love how Bryan throws his hands up at the end like, "Man...I was THERE!"

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(10-28-2019, 04:29 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/11885...97861?s=19

He most definitely did.

Those pressures are going to eventually wind up as sacks hopefully.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2019, 11:55 AM by knarnn.)

(10-29-2019, 10:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...09953?s=20

That’s the play I was referencing. Straight raw power. Darnold had no chance to step up in the pocket.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

For a 1st round pick, it still isn't good enough. I hope by the end of the year he is starting and making plays, but until then he is still a bust as a 1st round pick.

Hard to call him a bust when it's still his second year; I was mostly frustrated by his brain-dead penalties in the preseason

As long as he's making a habit of getting better i'm good with it. At that low in the first round I wasn't expecting what we're seeing from Josh Allen right now anyway

1st round 1st overall pick Taven Bryan

(10-29-2019, 03:35 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

For a 1st round pick, it still isn't good enough. I hope by the end of the year he is starting and making plays, but until then he is still a bust as a 1st round pick.

not a bust but not yet a success.
He is right on schedule for his development as a late 1st rounder.

(10-29-2019, 04:04 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 03:35 PM)p_rushing Wrote: For a 1st round pick, it still isn't good enough. I hope by the end of the year he is starting and making plays, but until then he is still a bust as a 1st round pick.

not a bust but not yet a success.
He is right on schedule for his development as a late 1st rounder.

Especially as a late first rounder who was a well publicized "project pick." 

The dude is just now digesting some football IQ stuff that plenty of players have halfway through their college careers.  (and he spent an offseason and half a season at the wrong position in the NFL)

I'm very encouraged by what he's showing right now just compared to the preseason. 
Arrow is up.