Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baltimore Ravens offered first and second round picks, TE Hayden Hurst

(09-21-2019, 01:25 PM)Nikowho Wrote: Honestly, it may not be sexy but I get the feeling that we may not see anything happen until nearer towards the trade deadline. The closer we get to that, the more the league rankings will start taking, and the more some teams will think they just need that one piece to really upgrade their playoff/superbowl chances. I don't mind teh idea of Caldwell hanging onto Ramsey in the meantime. Ramsey's still an integral part of this team. There's no need to trade him they don't have to. Maybe they can convince him these next few weeks that he'd be happy with Jacksonville. I'm still trying to have hope for that, as naive as it is

I agree. 
It's not just that teams will be more desperate, it's also that everybody will have a clearer idea of if they'll be drafting high or drafting low.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was very, very team no Hurst during the draft but as we all know TE is one of the slowest developing positions. A 1st, 2nd, and last years 1st rounder is a pretty legit offer. I doubt we get a better one.

I pray we keep Ramsey and fire our 3 headed snake front office, but if Ramsey continues to demand a trade I think it's a reasonable price.

IF they trade him, it's starting to feel like it will be in the offseason. Having only one year left on his contract, a team would probably probably want to renegotiate a deal in principle prior to executing a trade. Also waiting to the offseason would give the Jags assurance on exactly where they'd be picking if they did make the trade. Since he's set to make 13 mil+ in 2020, a new deal wouldn't increase his salary cap hit that much. I'm starting to think it's becoming more likely he'll remain a Jag.

Where that leaves Ngakoue, who knows?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2019, 08:07 PM by Caldrac.)

I don't think he's going anywhere now neither. There's no rush. Especially if they start winning games again like they did two years ago.

Khan also coming forward publicly in regards to making him the highest paid CB is enough to make a case that no matter what happens this year. There's going to certainly be a major shake up in the front office next year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2019, 08:13 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I would go back to the Ravens and say I'll take the deal IF instead of Hayden Hurst, you give us a 1st, a 2nd and TE Mark Andrews. That kid looks like he'd be a great target for Minshew. He's been on fire.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2019, 08:16 PM by Jags.)

(09-21-2019, 08:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I don't think he's going anywhere now neither. There's no rush. Especially if they start winning games again like they did two years ago.

Khan also coming forward publicly in regards to making him the highest paid CB is enough to make a case that no matter what happens this year. There's going to certainly be a major shake up in the front office next year.

Regarding your last sentence.  As of now, I’d agree.  But if they go on a win streak with the back up QB and make the playoffs in a bad devision , are they or should they be fired?   I keep hearing how bad they suck as a FO as well as hearing how they’re not signing “all the talent” they’ve drafted.  For me, it is a double edged sword.  Things seem amiss. But they are brining in good players.  Especially if Tavan keeps developing as well as others.  Seems like they’re brining in good players just have an issue managing it all.  I’d ultimately leave it rest upon the W’s.

(09-21-2019, 08:15 PM)Jags Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 08:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I don't think he's going anywhere now neither. There's no rush. Especially if they start winning games again like they did two years ago.

Regarding your last sentence.  As of now, I’d agree.  But if they go on a win streak with the back up QB and make the playoffs in a bad devision , are they or should they be fired?   I keep hearing how bad they suck as a FO as well as hearing how they’re not signing “all the talent” they’ve drafted.  For me, it is a double edged sword.  Things seem amiss. But they are brining in good players.  Especially if Tavan keeps developing as well as others.  Seems like they’re brining in good players just have an issue managing it all.  I’d ultimately leave it rest upon the W’s.
If Caldwell and/or Coughlin are still here next year I would be surprised. There's too much grumbling coming out of the lockeroom right now and it's circling back to them two.

Contract negotiations are always a touchy subject. But these two have ultimately done some good things and bad things recently.

Seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We got time to work out a deal and Shad Khan already said he doesn't want to trade him so that should be the end of that.
No Fun

I'll take Detroit's 1 and 2 with Hockenson
Here we go again

(09-21-2019, 08:39 PM)Preach Wrote: I'll take Detroit's 1 and 2 with Hockenson

I'd do that too. A relatively high 1st, a relatively high 2nd and we get the guy we intended on drafting, had Allen been off the board when we picked. For me, that would mean we could land a likely top 10 O-Lineman, a CB to replace Ramsey and the best TE to enter the draft in the last 5 years (Hockenson.)

(09-21-2019, 07:04 PM)hb1148 Wrote: IF they trade him, it's starting to feel like it will be in the offseason.  Having only one year left on his contract, a team would probably probably want to renegotiate a deal in principle prior to executing a trade. Also waiting to the offseason would give the Jags assurance on exactly where they'd be picking if they did make the trade.  Since he's set to make 13 mil+ in 2020, a new deal wouldn't increase his salary cap hit that much. I'm starting to think it's becoming more likely he'll remain a Jag.

Where that leaves Ngakoue, who knows?

Bouye has a cap hit of $15.5M next year, but would only cost $4M in dead money to cut. Hayden has a cap hit of $7.6M, but would only cost $1.6M if cut. One of those two could be made expendable if Herndon continues to develop, or if the team feels like it's a deep draft for corners.

Abry Jones would have an immediate cap savings of $4M if the team cut him and went with Bryan at that spot. Dareus is set to cost $22.5M next year, but would only cost $2.5M if cut. We'd save $15M if Calais were released (and please don't let lightning strike me for even suggesting it as a possibility). We'd save $5M by cutting Norwell or $2.5M by cutting Cann (which really needs to happen). A handful of these guys are either young enough or play a position with enough longevity that a restructure would work to free up cap space too.

Point being, the money is there to keep Ngakoue around long-term if the team wants to. The issue will be what to do with the guy in line after Yan.

Opinions on the FO swing like the weather around here. They lost big on the Bortles gamble although, IMO, it wasn't a bad chance to take coming off 2017. That failed and set them back, obviously, and put them in a corner forcing the Foles deal. The team is still recovering from the Bortles fiasco. I also think they have not paid enough attention to the OL but that's not news.

They have drafted well and have a top defense. I'm no Marrone fan and would like to see change there but the GM has done a good job IMO. As far as them not paying, blah blah blah, home grown talent, ie Ngakoue, and the grumbling in the locker room about it, big deal- the guy turned down a huge offer in the reported range of $19 million/year to stay with his $2 million. As another poster said, How will he make up that $17 million? Good question.

On topic: I would salivate over that proposed Detroit deal above. Getting rid of Ramsey would be just fine with me but not the Baltimore deal, Hayden Hurst is a stiff; Hockenson on the other hand...
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(09-22-2019, 08:06 AM)PF* Wrote: Opinions on the FO swing like the weather around here. They lost big on the Bortles gamble although, IMO, it wasn't a bad chance to take coming off 2017. That failed and set them back, obviously, and put them in a corner forcing the Foles deal. The team is still recovering from the Bortles fiasco. I also think they have not paid enough attention to the OL but that's not news.

They have drafted well and have a top defense. I'm no Marrone fan and would like to see change there but the GM has done a good job IMO. As far as them not paying, blah blah blah, home grown talent, ie Ngakoue, and the grumbling in the locker room about it, big deal- the guy turned down a huge offer in the reported range of $19 million/year to stay with his $2 million. As another poster said, How will he make up that $17 million? Good question.

On topic: I would salivate over that proposed Detroit deal above. Getting rid of Ramsey would be just fine with me but not the Baltimore deal, Hayden Hurst is a stiff; Hockenson on the other hand...
It's a big deal because two of your cornerstone pieces on defense are grumbling. Two of your leaders on defense that were drafted three years ago are already willing to move on due to piss poor negotiating at the table.

That's not good for the long term outlook for this team. Especially for a team that's quite honestly failed miserably over the years through the draft.

Caldwell has done well? Yeah, he's done so well this team has won 31 games currently since he's been here since 2013. His stubborn nature regarding Bradley and Bortles and failing to move on sooner is unforgivable.

2016's draft class literally saved his [BLEEP]. 2017's defensive performance [during a weak year across the division and schedule due to key injuries at the QB position] also saved his [BLEEP]. Coughlin was brought here to light a fire under his [BLEEP].

Trading Ramsey away for a 1st, 2nd and a TE that was just taken 8th overall back in April after you just invested the 69th overall pick for essentially the same goal in mind with Oliver at TE is simply... dumb.

It's either a pair of 1's along with a 2 or 3 in next year's draft or 2021's draft or don't even bother talking about it.

Nah, I don't agree with you...maybe on Bradley and Bortles.

- grumbling over money is nothing new, that's why I say big deal.
- how do you KNOW it was "piss poor negotiating"? You don't.
- you say they've failed "miserably" in the draft yet then say the 2016 draft saved his BLEEP. You can't have it both
ways.
- you rationalize away 2017's defensive performance with plausible reasons but don't you think talent
acquisition played a part?
- where did you get you're information on why Coughlin was brought here? Message Board conjecture? I saw the
move as simply Shad Khan needing a more experienced football person in-house. I never saw any "light a fire"
rhetoric from a credible source.
- the proposed Detroit deal is sound IMO. That's IMO.
- holding up Josh Oliver as a reason not to consider such an offer (which doesn't even exist, BTW) is rather curious,
given his current NFL stat line- no games played, no yards, no catches, no nothing.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2019, 10:41 AM by Caldrac.)

(09-22-2019, 09:59 AM)PF* Wrote: Nah, I don't agree with you...maybe on Bradley and Bortles.

- grumbling over money is nothing new, that's why I say big deal.
- how do you KNOW it was "piss poor negotiating"? You don't.
- you say they've failed "miserably" in the draft yet then say the 2016 draft saved his BLEEP. You can't have it both
ways.
- you rationalize away 2017's defensive performance with plausible reasons but don't you think talent
acquisition played a part?
- where did you get you're information on why Coughlin was brought here? Message Board conjecture? I saw the
move as simply Shad Khan needing a more experienced football person in-house. I never saw any "light a fire"
rhetoric from a credible source.
- the proposed Detroit deal is sound IMO. That's IMO.
- holding up Josh Oliver as a reason not to consider such an offer (which doesn't even exist, BTW) is rather curious,
given his current NFL stat line- no games played, no yards, no catches, no nothing.
Yes you can certainly have it both ways. One good draft out of 7 isn't much to hang your hat on. It's a body of work.

It's piss poor when you consider that other teams tend not to [BLEEP] around when it comes to extended above average to elite talent.

Lawrence and Elliott and Dallas are good now. All we have is Ramsey and Ngakoue potentially gone soon. But... they'll pay Bortles $16M to play for the Rams this year. Overpay Linder at Center who has failed to finish a full 16 game season for the team. Pay Norwell. Pay Jack, etc. [Weakest of the trio from 2016's class].

None of the [BLEEP] they're doing in that front office is adding up at the moment. Not seeing a ton of talks about things moving in a positive direction. Just negatives.

Regarding Oliver Vs. Hockenson? Hockenson had one big opening week in the NFL against the Cardinals and he was relatively quiet against the Chargers. Granted, it's early. But we'll see how he fairs today against the Eagles.

Again, why fork over your best player for a rookie at a position where you've already invested a 3rd RD pick and extended O'Shaughnessy [Who is beginning to see increased opportunities in the receiving game] for such low return value? You know what you have in Ramsey already.

Regarding Coughlin being here to light a fire under Caldwell's [BLEEP]? Fairly easy to see the writing there on the wall. Caldwell was able to pin his failures on Bradley. Coughlin was brought in to have a final say or stamp of approval on personnel decisions shortly after.

As I said. By the beginning of April of next year I will be surprised if Caldwell and/or Coughlin are still in the building together. Either they both go. Or one of them goes. I don't see how it doesn't happen one way or another.

Khan publicly backing Ramsey. Literally putting his money where his mouth is in regards to making him numero uno at the CB position as far as facts and figures goes is a head scratcher when you see the inconsistencies between Ramsey and the rest of the front office.

Also, Ngakoue walking away from $19M wasn't the concern. I believe it was the length of the contract that hindered any further extensions. And I believe he wants to be here longer or something to that effect but the front office is not willing to give him that. Don't quote me on that though.

Seems like a valuable trade for both teams.. this just tells me we aren't serious about trading him and are just doing it as an obligation to honor the player's wishes. I'm all for keeping him, we just have to make him happy to be here.
No pain, no gain.

(09-22-2019, 10:38 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Seems like a valuable trade for both teams.. this just tells me we aren't serious about trading him and are just doing it as an obligation to honor the player's wishes. I'm all for keeping him, we just have to make him happy to be here.

Just doing what? There's no indication that the Jags FO is involved in this other than picking up the phone (allegedly). It's nothing but speculation for headlines.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-21-2019, 08:39 PM)Preach Wrote: I'll take Detroit's 1 and 2 with Hockenson

There is 0 chance that the Lions make this deal.

Just pay him. We need Ramsey/Bouye doing their thing while we rush the passer with 5-6 people. We were unstoppable doing this. Didn't matter that Jack was out and our safeties aren't good.
No pain, no gain.

(09-22-2019, 10:38 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Seems like a valuable trade for both teams.. this just tells me we aren't serious about trading him and are just doing it as an obligation to honor the player's wishes. I'm all for keeping him, we just have to make him happy to be here.

It wouldn't be a valuable deal for the Jags in the slightest