Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
...It's Remarkable

Coach Doug Marrone was asked in a press conference about GMII's play, good and bad.  Coach replied that it's "all good".  Then upgraded his response to "actually, it's remarkable". 

I beg to differ... 

The Flats! And the dumpoffs. Yes, the kid, of course; has room for improvement.  Man, I tell you... If he can learn to place that right touch and accuracy on those little dumpoffs (we woulda won in Houston), I believe he can really elevate his game to some ole Brees type level. Give Fournette that confidence to take from the flats on one play and bring it between those tackles on others, as 27 did appear to look disheartened following a couple of those erred throws.

And when will someone, anyone give Coach Marrone the credit he deserves for working the team into line, acquiring those guys' respect, getting more efficient play out of the team, having very few penalties and sacks, having that conversation with Ramsey, BEING AGGRESSIVE (hence, wanting to win) and actually working with his staff to scheme up a game-plan to smack the titians in the mouth with the hilt of their own sword? Huh?

Your take-

Go Jags!
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If a sixth round rookie QB’s biggest issue is “not enough touch on a swing pass” then we’re doing fine.

And yes, Marrone absolutely deserves praise for pulling the troops together enough in a short week to execute a good game plan against a division rival that has been a thorn in our side.

(09-21-2019, 01:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If a sixth round rookie QB’s biggest issue is “not enough touch on a swing pass” then we’re doing fine.

And yes, Marrone absolutely deserves praise for pulling the troops together enough in a short week to execute a good game plan against a division rival that has been a thorn in our side.

Yes. Thank you.  And I agree, we are in a good place.  I mean, yaeah-I like the qb alot. I can't say I didn't cringe every time he was off on those lil passes, which was often.  But Hey, Let's go! I'm still pumped from thurs.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

There are some nerves at play I’m sure. I can’t tell you how many times BSing around playing pool or playing basketball with a simple straight shot and OOPs..

He has millions watching on a national stage. All eyes on the rookie. I couldn’t imagine the amount of pressure he is dealing with. Externally he comes across as cool as ice, but internally, he’s gotta be feeling it.

I’m curious of two things.. can he get hit hard..I mean really hard and get up and not let the fear affect him? As he gets used to starting, will the nerves edge off as he builds more and more confidence?

(09-21-2019, 01:57 PM)Corriewf Wrote: There are some nerves at play I’m sure. I can’t tell you how many times BSing around playing pool or playing basketball with a simple straight shot and OOPs..

He has millions watching on a national stage. All eyes on the rookie. I couldn’t imagine the amount of pressure he is dealing with. Externally he comes across as cool as ice, but internally, he’s gotta be feeling it.

I’m curious of two things.. can he get hit hard..I mean really hard and get up and not let the fear affect him? As he gets used to starting, will the nerves edge off as he builds more and more confidence?

Did you not watch him get battered in the pre-season?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-21-2019, 01:57 PM)Corriewf Wrote: There are some nerves at play I’m sure. I can’t tell you how many times BSing around playing pool or playing basketball with a simple straight shot and OOPs..

He took several tough hits in Houston and seemed unfazed.

(09-21-2019, 01:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Did you not watch him get battered in the pre-season?

Admittedly no. I am out of market and the preseason just didn’t seem worth watching to me. Sorry.

(09-21-2019, 01:07 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: Coach Doug Marrone was asked in a press conference about GMII's play, good and bad.  Coach replied that it's "all good".  Then upgraded his response to "actually, it's remarkable". 

I beg to differ... 

The Flats! And the dumpoffs. Yes, the kid, of course; has room for improvement.  Man, I tell you... If he can learn to place that right touch and accuracy on those little dumpoffs (we woulda won in Houston), I believe he can really elevate his game to some ole Brees type level. Give Fournette that confidence to take from the flats on one play and bring it between those tackles on others, as 27 did appear to look disheartened following a couple of those erred throws.

And when will someone, anyone give Coach Marrone the credit he deserves for working the team into line, acquiring those guys' respect, getting more efficient play out of the team, having very few penalties and sacks, having that conversation with Ramsey, BEING AGGRESSIVE (hence, wanting to win) and actually working with his staff to scheme up a game-plan to smack the titians in the mouth with the hilt of their own sword? Huh?

Your take-

Go Jags!
He is hitting on 74% of his passes.  Are we really complaining about missed dumpoffs?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-21-2019, 01:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

He took several tough hits in Houston and seemed unfazed.
I just remember Mark Brunell.. He was absolutely amazing.. but after he got a couple concussions and that knee injury, he was never the same. He lost a lot of pocket mobility and his judgment/accuracy took a bit hit from fearing another injury. 

I would normally not be so cautious, but with this o-line... I’m trying to temper my excitement until Minshew has taken a few beatings. While also I am writing off some of his simple mistakes as rookie nerves.

I swear, people will complain about anything.

(09-21-2019, 02:01 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 01:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Did you not watch him get battered in the pre-season?

Admittedly no. I am out of market and the preseason just didn’t seem worth watching to me. Sorry.

Practically his first series in the first game.

[Image: IdealisticUnhappyGelada-size_restricted.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2019, 02:09 PM by MoJagFan.)

Honestly he even admitted he has work to do.  He did say he has an excellent support system and praised God as well.  I want him to get some touch but it takes time.  At least he can look off throws and make reads as a rookie.  That is so hard to develop.  I was more happy that the guy with a weak arm threaded the needle on double coverage and put the ball where his WR could make a play.  I hope this lasts because we have had a confident to strong offense in so long.  This defense will be a terror when matched up with a capable offense.

I appreciate the pre-draft analysis that someone posted in the backup thread.  That video has an honest take on him being all arm and not utilizing his feet and hips on his throws.  He seems like a hard worker with a lets have fun attitude, I think that not only wins over a locker room but it really ignites fans behind the guy.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(09-21-2019, 02:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 01:07 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: Coach Doug Marrone was asked in a press conference about GMII's play, good and bad.  Coach replied that it's "all good".  Then upgraded his response to "actually, it's remarkable". 

I beg to differ... 

Your take-

Go Jags!
He is hitting on 74% of his passes.  Are we really complaining about missed dumpoffs?

There's no pickin' like nit pickin'

(09-21-2019, 01:16 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 01:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If a sixth round rookie QB’s biggest issue is “not enough touch on a swing pass” then we’re doing fine.

Yes. Thank you.  And I agree, we are in a good place.  I mean, yaeah-I like the qb alot. I can't say I didn't cringe every time he was off on those lil passes, which was often.  But Hey, Let's go! I'm still pumped from thurs.

The most remarkable thing is that we really are in a good place. Imagine before the season someone had told you that Foles would be out, Ramsey would ask for a trade, Fournette would be struggling and Dede would have a terrible case of the drops... And yet we would be massively optimistic about this team short term and long term... Truly remarkable!

(09-21-2019, 01:57 PM)Corriewf Wrote: I’m curious of two things.. can he get hit hard..I mean really hard and get up and not let the fear affect him? As he gets used to starting, will the nerves edge off as he builds more and more confidence?

Initially I'd been wondering about his durability. Comparisons had been made to Drew Brees physically (although Brees has been pretty durable for the most part). But really he's probably closer to Aaron Rodgers, Andy Dalton or even Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's 6'1'' but he's 225 and being younger could probably easily put on another 5+ lbs so should be able to physically stand up. The psychological effect of taking hits is probably what you mean though. Based on how he's playing, he seems to have plenty of mental toughness to take it but he also seems to have a talent for avoiding the really hard hits in the first place (so far at least).
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-21-2019, 02:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 02:01 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Admittedly no. I am out of market and the preseason just didn’t seem worth watching to me. Sorry.

Practically his first series in the first game.

[Image: IdealisticUnhappyGelada-size_restricted.gif]

Yeah-ok- that’s a hit! Phew! 

So preseason he threw for 56.3% completion percentage. 

In THAT particular game he threw for 7/14. Now obviously, that’s preseason with a lot of scrubs. I still want to see in regular season, how does he handle a hit like that with starters on the field to throw to after. It is my one wild card factor before I can say this guy is the next legendary QB. As it sits rights now, I am amazed by everything else I have seen. I couldn’t imagine being 23 and doing what he is doing with such poise and confidence.

(09-21-2019, 02:13 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 01:16 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: Yes. Thank you.  And I agree, we are in a good place.  I mean, yaeah-I like the qb alot. I can't say I didn't cringe every time he was off on those lil passes, which was often.  But Hey, Let's go! I'm still pumped from thurs.

The most remarkable thing is that we really are in a good place. Imagine before the season someone had told you that Foles would be out, Ramsey would ask for a trade, Fournette would be struggling and Dede would have a terrible case of the drops... And yet we would be massively optimistic about this team short term and long term... Truly remarkable!
Yes. Hard to believe. Also, this:

Fans in 2018 on every drop-back "Please don't throw a pick, please don't throw a pick." 

Fans in 2019 on every first down  "Please throw the ball, please throw the ball." 

It's a welcome change.

(09-21-2019, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 02:13 PM)JagJohn Wrote: The most remarkable thing is that we really are in a good place. Imagine before the season someone had told you that Foles would be out, Ramsey would ask for a trade, Fournette would be struggling and Dede would have a terrible case of the drops... And yet we would be massively optimistic about this team short term and long term... Truly remarkable!

Fans in 2018 on every drop-back "Please don't throw a pick, please don't throw a pick." 

Fans in 2019 on every first down  "Please throw the ball, please throw the ball." 

It's a welcome change.

We just need to do something about the run game so they are not expecting pass after pass after pass. O-line has to start making more running lanes and Fournette needs to [BLEEP] see them. Lol!

(09-21-2019, 04:15 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yes. Hard to believe. Also, this:

It's a welcome change.

We just need to do something about the run game so they are not expecting pass after pass after pass. O-line has to start making more running lanes and Fournette needs to [BLEEP] see them. Lol!

What they need to do is to give Armsted some reps. Give the defense different looks. With just Fournette in there play after play, they can kind of anticipate his run and style.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(09-21-2019, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 02:13 PM)JagJohn Wrote: The most remarkable thing is that we really are in a good place. Imagine before the season someone had told you that Foles would be out, Ramsey would ask for a trade, Fournette would be struggling and Dede would have a terrible case of the drops... And yet we would be massively optimistic about this team short term and long term... Truly remarkable!

It's a welcome change.

That's a good point, I do remember sitting up there watching (and saying, no, no,no...to myself) a LB lurking and ready to jump the route many times as BB5 looked around.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile