Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Former Bucs GM on Ramsey Trade Scenario

Some insight from former GM, Mark Dominik:

https://www.1010xl.com/2019/09/25/former...de-demand/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Finally, Dominik was asked about the relationship between Ramsey and the Jaguars and after all this news has gone public, can that relationship be repaired?

“You would be surprised how much money can fix a relationship, let me tell you,” Dominik said laughing. “I’ve seen it before and I’ve been in negotiations with an agent that is screaming and yelling and telling me how I’m being unreasonable and how this is going to fracture our relationship and two, or three weeks later we get the deal done and that agent is in my office with his shoes up on the desk saying this is great, I’m so happy, we work so well together.
“Money changes people quickly and there is a lot of pride in that. It’s not the healthiest thing, but that is the reality. So, do I think it can be fixed? Absolutely.”

Should be interesting to see where this goes.

I just don't read Ramsey as treating this as a business decision, he's acting like it's personal. That makes for bad business.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

lol @ Agents

(09-25-2019, 03:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I just don't read Ramsey as treating this as a business decision, he's acting like it's personal. That makes for bad business.

Yes, exactly. Early in training camp, he said of course he wanted a new contract but that it wouldn't impact how he conducts himself with the team or allow it to become an issue. Now, since he got his feelings hurt by a tough talking former coach, everything's a problem. It's very immature on the player's part and that's a reputation that can stick with a guy.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2019, 05:59 PM by I am Yoda.)

(09-25-2019, 02:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Some insight from former GM, Mark Dominik:

https://www.1010xl.com/2019/09/25/former...de-demand/

Good article.  It seems fairly straightforward.  Offer a generous contract and see if #20 can refuse it.

I just wonder if we have room on the current cap year to do a mega-deal.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(09-25-2019, 04:34 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 03:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I just don't read Ramsey as treating this as a business decision, he's acting like it's personal. That makes for bad business.

Yes, exactly. Early in training camp, he said of course he wanted a new contract but that it wouldn't impact how he conducts himself with the team or allow it to become an issue. Now, since he got his feelings hurt by a tough talking former coach, everything's a problem. It's very immature on the player's part and that's a reputation that can stick with a guy.

And that's the issue... "Former coach".. Coughlin isn't the HC here, or any other type of coach here. Hes a front office guy now. That means he has no business acting like a coach and disrespecting a player/chewing him out in the locker room. He needs to keep his [BLEEP] upstairs in his office and let the coaches do what they're suppose to do.

It doesn't matter who's side you're on here, the fact of the matter is that's not Coughlin's job, or role on this team and he shouldn't be acting like it is.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2019, 06:24 PM by Jags.)

(09-25-2019, 06:16 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 04:34 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Yes, exactly. Early in training camp, he said of course he wanted a new contract but that it wouldn't impact how he conducts himself with the team or allow it to become an issue. Now, since he got his feelings hurt by a tough talking former coach, everything's a problem. It's very immature on the player's part and that's a reputation that can stick with a guy.

And that's the issue... "Former coach".. Coughlin isn't the HC here, or any other type of coach here. Hes a front office guy now. That means he has no business acting like a coach and disrespecting a player/chewing him out in the locker room. He needs to keep his [BLEEP] upstairs in his office and let the coaches do what they're suppose to do.

It doesn't matter who's side you're on here, the fact of the matter is that's not Coughlin's job, or role on this team and he shouldn't be acting like it is.

Coughlin still outranks Marrone.  Even Dave.  I don’t agree with micromanaging but,
Whatever the message was, it  was just due to considering Ramsey’s actions on the field and sideline.  So boo [BLEEP] hoo.  Cry me a river.

The Jags could always offer a big contract and see if money heals the relationship.  If not at least they tried.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(09-25-2019, 06:31 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: The Jags could always offer a big contract and see if money heals the relationship.  If not at least they tried.

They could. I wouldn't hate it.

However, the guy that just chewed out Jalen for his behavior would have to be the guy offering that contract.
Khan would probably have to demand Coughlin make such an offer as it seems HIGHLY unlikely TC is anywhere near doing that right now.

(09-25-2019, 06:23 PM)Jags Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 06:16 PM)Eric1 Wrote: And that's the issue... "Former coach".. Coughlin isn't the HC here, or any other type of coach here. Hes a front office guy now. That means he has no business acting like a coach and disrespecting a player/chewing him out in the locker room. He needs to keep his [BLEEP] upstairs in his office and let the coaches do what they're suppose to do.

Coughlin still outranks Marrone.  Even Dave.  I don’t agree with micromanaging but,
Whatever the message was, it  was just due to considering Ramsey’s actions on the field and sideline.  So boo [BLEEP] hoo.  Cry me a river.

Coughlin was the one crying in the first place and had to go cry to Ramsey, so what are you even talking about? If he sucks it up and changes his diaper once in a while, this wouldn't even be an issue.

And further more, Tom Brady is the biggest cry baby on the sidelines of anybody in the NFL. He's constantly chewing out his coaches. He just chewed out Belichick this past Sunday because he wanted Bill to challenge a call and he didn't. He had a temper tantrum about it. There's clips all over the place of him throwing stuff on the sidelines etc etc. He should probably grow up and stop being so immature as well huh.

Yep, former GMs as well as former players calling his [BLEEP] out. He’s the only one that thinks it’s working. Whatever.

(09-25-2019, 04:34 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Yes, exactly. Early in training camp, he said of course he wanted a new contract but that it wouldn't impact how he conducts himself with the team or allow it to become an issue. Now, since he got his feelings hurt by a tough talking former coach, everything's a problem. It's very immature on the player's part and that's a reputation that can stick with a guy.

Bull. Whatever your opinion of Coughlin, he's running the show here in Jax, he can say whatever he wants and my bet is he was telling Ramsey that he best keep his hands off his head coach and stick to the plays called on the field. That's not disrespecting a player, that's the player's boss telling him to get his [BLEEP] together.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-25-2019, 06:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 06:16 PM)Eric1 Wrote: And that's the issue... "Former coach".. Coughlin isn't the HC here, or any other type of coach here. Hes a front office guy now. That means he has no business acting like a coach and disrespecting a player/chewing him out in the locker room. He needs to keep his [BLEEP] upstairs in his office and let the coaches do what they're suppose to do.

Bull. Whatever your opinion of Coughlin, he's running the show here in Jax, he can say whatever he wants and my bet is he was telling Ramsey that he best keep his hands off his head coach and stick to the plays called on the field. That's not disrespecting a player, that's the player's boss telling him to get his [BLEEP] together.

And I'd be willing to bet that likely wasn't what was said. Fact of the matter, none of us have a clue what was said.

What we do know for sure though.. Is that Coughlin bad mouths and disrespects Ramsey every off season because he doesn't come to VOLUNTARY workouts and chooses to stay at home in Nashville and work out with his Father/family. Coughlin hates that he does that and has made it a point multiple times to call him out in the media for it. Coughlin has been disrespecting Ramsey from the minute he stepped foot back in this building because Ramsey isn't a sheep.

This is asinine.  This isn't the way business works.  The boss's role is whatever the boss determines it to be, your malignance towards Coughlin notwithstanding.  Every time I see someone write this it proves to me they've never been in charge of anything of consequence.
Fix the O-Line!

(09-25-2019, 08:09 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:

This is asinine.  This isn't the way business works.  The boss's role is whatever the boss determines it to be, your malignance towards Coughlin notwithstanding.  Every time I see someone write this it proves to me they've never been in charge of anything of consequence.

Stop trying to compare a 9-5 job/business and the NFL... They are not the same.

(09-25-2019, 08:12 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 08:09 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: This is asinine.  This isn't the way business works.  The boss's role is whatever the boss determines it to be, your malignance towards Coughlin notwithstanding.  Every time I see someone write this it proves to me they've never been in charge of anything of consequence.

Stop trying to compare a 9-5 job/business and the NFL... They are not the same.

Stop trying to dismiss organizational dynamics and relationships.  The NFL is not exempt.
Fix the O-Line!

(09-25-2019, 06:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

It actually undermines Doug and isn't part of his job at all.

He's a worthwhile question someone put forward on a podcast recently...

What would Tom have thought of an executive going at one of his players after a game while he was head coach? He would have blew a gasket is what he would have done

He wants his money. If he can't have that, he wants to make sure that he doesn't get hurt while waiting for it. The "paternity leave" could mean one of two things: either the team wants to give Ramsey some room to cool down, or they're trying to save face after being told by Ramsey that they can call him as soon as they've got a trade figured out. Either way, it comes back to Ramsey wanting his money and not wanting to tear an ACL while he waits for someone to give it to him. The fact that he's got a child due sometime between now and November of 2024 is a convenient coincidence.

(09-25-2019, 08:09 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:

When I was but a wee lad in a mid-management position, I royally screwed something up. Like, royally, to the tune of a $10,000 credit that didn't exist being applied to our account. Very long story involving lots of bad advice and me thinking I'd reinvented the wheel. My boss caught it and wanted to know what the hell was up. I got started unwinding the thread so it would be fixed the next month. The next morning, in the morning staff meeting that I was leading, the regional manager walked in and said he needed to speak to me. He worked out of our office, so his being there wasn't a surprise, and I had a pretty good hunch what this was about and had already started the wheels moving to fix it. But nope, as soon as the door to his office closed, he went off like a gigantic F bomb. He verbally tore me to a new [BLEEP], then went back to open up several more of them every time I thought he was done. Believe me, the whole office could hear. When he got tired of listening to himself shout and me explain how I'd already fixed the goddamned thing, he stormed off to a meeting somewhere else. I honestly didn't care after the initial "what the frack?!" wore off. I'd already fixed it and, more importantly, I still had a job. The rest of the office, on the other hand, would talk to me directly and to each other about how uncalled for that was, how it should have been left to my boss and I to sort it out, how unprofessional it was for the regional manager to interrupt my staff meeting so he could lay into me.

Point being, does Coughlin have a right to come into the locker room and blow up on Ramsey? Sure. Ramsey does technically work for him, even though there are two levels of separation in between them. Is it good form when the corporate bigwig walks in and blasts someone several levels below him rather than taking it down the chain of command in the same way you'd expect it to go up? No. Does it piss people off and create a distraction? Yes. Does it make people want to continue working there? Oh hell no. Especially not if they're already (in NFL and in real life terms) underpaid.