Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Former Bucs GM on Ramsey Trade Scenario

Coughlin shouldn't be anywhere near the locker room. 

Ramsey should grow some tougher skin.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-26-2019, 12:18 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Coughlin shouldn't be anywhere near the locker room. 

Amen to both.

(09-25-2019, 06:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 06:16 PM)Eric1 Wrote: And that's the issue... "Former coach".. Coughlin isn't the HC here, or any other type of coach here. Hes a front office guy now. That means he has no business acting like a coach and disrespecting a player/chewing him out in the locker room. He needs to keep his [BLEEP] upstairs in his office and let the coaches do what they're suppose to do.

It doesn't matter who's side you're on here, the fact of the matter is that's not Coughlin's job, or role on this team and he shouldn't be acting like it is.

Bull. Whatever your opinion of Coughlin, he's running the show here in Jax, he can say whatever he wants and my bet is he was telling Ramsey that he best keep his hands off his head coach and stick to the plays called on the field. That's not disrespecting a player, that's the player's boss telling him to get his [BLEEP] together.

It depends on where he got the "butt chewing". If it was in front of other players, that is disrespect. If it was behind closed doors, then too bad for Jalen. I had a manager where I used to work, who liked to yell at employees and basically insult them in front of customers over the stupidest stuff, just to show her power. She did it to me one day and I was furious. The customers who she yelled at me in front of, asked me, "who was that lady?" I said it was my manager. They said, "Good Lord, what a B-Word." After my shift, I told her that if she wanted to correct me for doing something wrong, that was fine she could do it in her office, but not on the floor in front of people. She made some smart aleck remark so, I marched over to the union offices and made an incident report. The union secretary told me she would put it on the pile with the rest of the complaints against her. I asked how many she had? She said there was 17. It took a couple of months longer, but eventually the manager was fired. I heard that before it was over, she had 21 complaints on file against her.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 04:41 AM by AlsJagsFan.)

Wasn't Coughlin brought in to put some discipline back into this organization? I remember when he was first hired fans were talking about how Coughlin will get these guys into shape. Adjusting the clocks in the building etc... and most of the fans loved it. Now he says something to a player (which no one knows what was said) and people are trying to put Tom in some other role other than the one he's been doing since day 1?

Also, didn't Jalen get into the argument on the sideline with Doug and then left the game, didn't talk to the media and immediately called his agent and said his time was up in Jax and asked for a trade. Where was this conversation with Tom? I know Tom could've went down to the locker room, but that seems awfully quick to get into it. It just seems to me this has been brewing with Jalen for longer than 1 game. I think he's been wanting out of Jax for awhile, he said he had matured earlier in the year (when asked about the QBs) and then he goes on a podcast and names off teams he wants to play for. Mature players don't do that. I've heard many Free Agents talking to the media and when they ask if they have a preference most of the time they do not list a team. Players who are under contract with no sign they won't remain under contract certainly don't name off teams they would like to go to.
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

(09-26-2019, 01:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 06:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Bull. Whatever your opinion of Coughlin, he's running the show here in Jax, he can say whatever he wants and my bet is he was telling Ramsey that he best keep his hands off his head coach and stick to the plays called on the field. That's not disrespecting a player, that's the player's boss telling him to get his [BLEEP] together.

It depends on where he got the "butt chewing". If it was in front of other players, that is disrespect. If it was behind closed doors, then too bad for Jalen. I had a manager where I used to work, who liked to yell at employees and basically insult them in front of customers over the stupidest stuff, just to show her power. She did it to me one day and I was furious. The customers who she yelled at me in front of, asked me, "who was that lady?" I said it was my manager. They said, "Good Lord, what a B-Word." After my shift, I told her that if she wanted to correct me for doing something wrong, that was fine she could do it in her office, but not on the floor in front of people. She made some smart aleck remark so, I marched over to the union offices and made an incident report. The union secretary told me she would put it on the pile with the rest of the complaints against her. I asked how many she had? She said there was 17. It took a couple of months longer, but eventually the manager was fired. I heard that before it was over, she had 21 complaints on file against her.

You can't compare your job that millions could do to an athlete in the NFL. People are so wrong to equate their working conditions to that of an NFL player..it's laughable.. When you get a million dollar signing bonus then speak.

(09-25-2019, 07:11 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 06:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Bull. Whatever your opinion of Coughlin, he's running the show here in Jax, he can say whatever he wants and my bet is he was telling Ramsey that he best keep his hands off his head coach and stick to the plays called on the field. That's not disrespecting a player, that's the player's boss telling him to get his [BLEEP] together.

And I'd be willing to bet that likely wasn't what was said. Fact of the matter, none of us have a clue what was said.

What we do know for sure though.. Is that Coughlin bad mouths and disrespects Ramsey every off season because he doesn't come to VOLUNTARY workouts and chooses to stay at home in Nashville and work out with his Father/family. Coughlin hates that he does that and has made it a point multiple times to call him out in the media for it. Coughlin has been disrespecting Ramsey from the minute he stepped foot back in this building because Ramsey isn't a sheep.

First off, Coughlin didn't single out Ramsey. He said he wanted players to be here during voluntary workout periods. He's said similar things at other times in his career. He knows they're voluntary but there's nothing wrong with the coach (or GM in this case) to say they'd like to see all players participate. Specifically he said:

"We’re close to 100 percent attendance — and quite frankly all of our players should be here."

While we don't know specifically what Coughlin said to Ramsey after the Houston game, we do know how Ramsey behaved after the non-replay during the game and that he threw a hissy fit coming out of the locker room. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ramsey's behavior was addressed by Coughlin who isn't known for coddling players. Ain't a thing wrong with that. Ramsey may not be a sheep but he *is* an employee (even if he's technically an independent contractor) and Coughlin is within his rights (subject to the exceptions in the Collective Bargaining Agreement) to get on his case if he feels like it's appropriate. Based on Ramsey's behavior during the game, I'd say it was entirely appropriate.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-26-2019, 04:38 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote: Wasn't Coughlin brought in to put some discipline back into this organization? 

No.

He was hired to oversee the front office. 

The discipline thing was an widespread assumption from media and fans. I'm sure he instills a different feeling when he's on site with the players than say, Caldwell or other front office staff, but his job isn't to be some sort of drill sergeant.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 12:39 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(09-26-2019, 12:18 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Coughlin shouldn't be anywhere near the locker room. 

Hey he was just spittin facts at him.

(09-26-2019, 06:14 AM)uthill Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 01:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It depends on where he got the "butt chewing". If it was in front of other players, that is disrespect. If it was behind closed doors, then too bad for Jalen. I had a manager where I used to work, who liked to yell at employees and basically insult them in front of customers over the stupidest stuff, just to show her power. She did it to me one day and I was furious. The customers who she yelled at me in front of, asked me, "who was that lady?" I said it was my manager. They said, "Good Lord, what a B-Word." After my shift, I told her that if she wanted to correct me for doing something wrong, that was fine she could do it in her office, but not on the floor in front of people. She made some smart aleck remark so, I marched over to the union offices and made an incident report. The union secretary told me she would put it on the pile with the rest of the complaints against her. I asked how many she had? She said there was 17. It took a couple of months longer, but eventually the manager was fired. I heard that before it was over, she had 21 complaints on file against her.

You can't compare your job that millions could do to an athlete in the NFL. People are so wrong to equate their working conditions to that of an NFL player..it's laughable.. When you get a million dollar signing bonus then speak.

CEOs get paid so much more than an NFL athlete it's not even funny.... and guess what... they operate just like o-line says.

It's not about the money aspect.

It's about the fact that it's a game played by grown up children... that never actually grew up

I mean seriously why haven't we paid our best player? Anyone? Best player? Is he not productive for business?
No pain, no gain.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 01:12 PM by RicoTx.)

(09-26-2019, 01:08 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: I mean seriously why haven't we paid our best player? Anyone? Best player? Is he not productive for business?

Is he.  He's alienated a good portion of the fan base (note I did not say all).

How do you know he even wants to sign a contract?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-25-2019, 03:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I just don't read Ramsey as treating this as a business decision, he's acting like it's personal. That makes for bad business.

Agree 100%!

I don't know in this day and age there's a player on just about every team running their mouth (or they did until they were expunged). They just want to be taken care of, show the dude some love and see what happens. Do you think the Telvin Smith ordeal could be similar to this at all?
No pain, no gain.

(09-26-2019, 06:14 AM)uthill Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 01:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It depends on where he got the "butt chewing". If it was in front of other players, that is disrespect. If it was behind closed doors, then too bad for Jalen. I had a manager where I used to work, who liked to yell at employees and basically insult them in front of customers over the stupidest stuff, just to show her power. She did it to me one day and I was furious. The customers who she yelled at me in front of, asked me, "who was that lady?" I said it was my manager. They said, "Good Lord, what a B-Word." After my shift, I told her that if she wanted to correct me for doing something wrong, that was fine she could do it in her office, but not on the floor in front of people. She made some smart aleck remark so, I marched over to the union offices and made an incident report. The union secretary told me she would put it on the pile with the rest of the complaints against her. I asked how many she had? She said there was 17. It took a couple of months longer, but eventually the manager was fired. I heard that before it was over, she had 21 complaints on file against her.

There was a lesson that I learned a long time ago regarding leadership, and it's the same whether it's working at Publix or working on a mult-million dollar aircraft.  You praise in public and discipline in private.  Any true leader worth it knows this and follows it.

I have not seen any reports regarding TC going to the locker room and chewing Jalen in front of everybody else.  IIRC Jalen himself said that it was after a meeting with management that he made the decision to ask for a trade.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-26-2019, 12:37 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Hey he was just spittin facts at him.

(09-26-2019, 06:14 AM)uthill Wrote: You can't compare your job that millions could do to an athlete in the NFL. People are so wrong to equate their working conditions to that of an NFL player..it's laughable.. When you get a million dollar signing bonus then speak.

CEOs get paid so much more than an NFL athlete it's not even funny.... and guess what... they operate just like o-line says.

It's not about the money aspect.

It's about the fact that it's a game played by grown up children... that never actually grew up

You might want to do some Googling on that. Not every CEO runs a Fortune 500 company. And no they don't all operate like that either.

(09-26-2019, 06:36 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(09-25-2019, 07:11 PM)Eric1 Wrote: And I'd be willing to bet that likely wasn't what was said. Fact of the matter, none of us have a clue what was said.

What we do know for sure though.. Is that Coughlin bad mouths and disrespects Ramsey every off season because he doesn't come to VOLUNTARY workouts and chooses to stay at home in Nashville and work out with his Father/family. Coughlin hates that he does that and has made it a point multiple times to call him out in the media for it. Coughlin has been disrespecting Ramsey from the minute he stepped foot back in this building because Ramsey isn't a sheep.

First off, Coughlin didn't single out Ramsey. He said he wanted players to be here during voluntary workout periods. He's said similar things at other times in his career. He knows they're voluntary but there's nothing wrong with the coach (or GM in this case) to say they'd like to see all players participate. Specifically he said:

"We’re close to 100 percent attendance — and quite frankly all of our players should be here."

While we don't know specifically what Coughlin said to Ramsey after the Houston game, we do know how Ramsey behaved after the non-replay during the game and that he threw a hissy fit coming out of the locker room. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ramsey's behavior was addressed by Coughlin who isn't known for coddling players. Ain't a thing wrong with that. Ramsey may not be a sheep but he *is* an employee (even if he's technically an independent contractor) and Coughlin is within his rights (subject to the exceptions in the Collective Bargaining Agreement) to get on his case if he feels like it's appropriate. Based on Ramsey's behavior during the game, I'd say it was entirely appropriate.

That quote and the others from that article were directly thrown at Ramsey and Telvin Smith... They were the only two not at the voluntary mini camp. It was a direct shot at those two.

Tom Brady throws a hissy fit on the sidelines and during the games, every other week... He gets in his coaches faces and chews them out. He throws stuff on the sidelines and screams all kinds of crap.

But Lemme guess, he's only doing it because he's competitive and wants to win right? But when Ramsey does it, it's only because hes immature huh?

(09-26-2019, 06:05 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 06:36 AM)hb1148 Wrote: First off, Coughlin didn't single out Ramsey. He said he wanted players to be here during voluntary workout periods. He's said similar things at other times in his career. He knows they're voluntary but there's nothing wrong with the coach (or GM in this case) to say they'd like to see all players participate. Specifically he said:

That quote and the others from that article were directly thrown at Ramsey and Telvin Smith... They were the only two not at the voluntary mini camp. It was a direct shot at those two.

Tom Brady throws a hissy fit on the sidelines and during the games, every other week... He gets in his coaches faces and chews them out. He throws stuff on the sidelines and screams all kinds of crap.

But Lemme guess, he's only doing it because he's competitive and wants to win right? But when Ramsey does it, it's only because hes immature huh?

Why do people keep comparing Ramsey to Brady?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(09-26-2019, 06:05 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 06:36 AM)hb1148 Wrote: First off, Coughlin didn't single out Ramsey. He said he wanted players to be here during voluntary workout periods. He's said similar things at other times in his career. He knows they're voluntary but there's nothing wrong with the coach (or GM in this case) to say they'd like to see all players participate. Specifically he said:

Wrong. Ramsey's not immature because he acted out on the sidelines, he's immature because of how he reacted to getting called out on it. Coughlin did what any coach or GM worth their salt would have done but the player is being a wus about the situation. I don't understand how fans are supporting him over the organization.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 06:55 PM by Jags.)

(09-26-2019, 06:11 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 06:05 PM)Eric1 Wrote: That quote and the others from that article were directly thrown at Ramsey and Telvin Smith... They were the only two not at the voluntary mini camp. It was a direct shot at those two.

Probably cause they’re both [BLEEP].  Or act like one.   And no, I’m not assigning gender.  I’m using the alt definition.  Much like when someone says “that’s gay”.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 07:14 PM by Eric1.)

(09-26-2019, 06:11 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 06:05 PM)Eric1 Wrote: That quote and the others from that article were directly thrown at Ramsey and Telvin Smith... They were the only two not at the voluntary mini camp. It was a direct shot at those two.

Why not? Both are great football players and stars in the league.

People are ripping on Ramsey for one little blow up on the sideline when Brady does it all the time.. Yet one gets labelled immature and a baby and the other gets labeled as a competitor who just wants to win... It's ridiculous. Brady is the biggest cry baby in the NFL.

(09-26-2019, 06:50 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

Wrong. Ramsey's not immature because he acted out on the sidelines, he's immature because of how he reacted to getting called out on it. Coughlin did what any coach or GM worth their salt would have done but the player is being a wus about the situation. I don't understand how fans are supporting him over the organization.

It's quite simple really... Us as fans want to win.. You don't win by getting rid of your best players, all while paying bad players.. 

We know for a 100% fact Ramsey makes this team better. The same can't be said for this front office.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 07:54 PM by Byron LeftTown.)

Ramsey's definition of disrespect is probably that TC reminded him the Jags own his rights for 2 more years and trades are at the team's discretion, not the player's.