Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Run Game Struggling

Lots has been made of this in other threads.
Figured we could have a thread to discuss it. 

At least DeFilippo is aware and taking some sort of action:

https://twitter.com/JohnReid64/status/1177251024945504256?s=20

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I too am a fan of whatever is available.

(09-26-2019, 12:44 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I too am a fan of whatever is available.

Haha. Wrong link posted - now fixed. That one is up in the booze thread though.

Going back to 2017 offense, lead full back, run run pass punt.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 01:05 PM by JaguarJosh05.)

Fournette is running exactly as he did after getting injured the last couple of years. Glass ankles and no burst. Probably needs to be rested until after the bye. I like his pass protection skills, very good at identifying their free rusher or whoever is getting beat and laying a lick on them.

(09-26-2019, 12:55 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Going back to 2017 offense, lead full back, run run pass punt.

run run pass, almost go to super bowl.
No pain, no gain.

(09-26-2019, 01:03 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Fournette is running exactly as he did after getting injured the last couple of years. Glass ankles and no burst. Probably needs to be rested until after the bye. I like his pass protection skills, very good at identifying their free rusher or whoever is getting beat and laying a lick on them.

(09-26-2019, 12:55 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Going back to 2017 offense, lead full back, run run pass punt.

I 100% agree with the bolded. On Jaguars.com, they have him MICC'D up and you see how well he can pass block. Really good stuff.

I have no reason to back this next claim up but I think he actually turns it around. We gotta remember that this is only the 3rd game this offense has had with Flip and only the 2nd start under Minshew. I think Flip/Minshew and company will start to find the plays that work best with this Oline and the ones that don't. Hopefully a turnaround is coming.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 01:08 PM by RicoTx.)

You mean the 2017 when  they led the league in rushing and were 6th on total offensive yards?  That 2017?

If you're gonna make dumb comments, at least have some truth to them.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-26-2019, 01:08 PM)Rico Wrote:

You mean the 2017 when  they led the league in rushing and were 6th on total offensive yards?  That 2017?

But that's not how today's football is played.  It's archaic!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-26-2019, 01:07 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 01:03 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Fournette is running exactly as he did after getting injured the last couple of years. Glass ankles and no burst. Probably needs to be rested until after the bye. I like his pass protection skills, very good at identifying their free rusher or whoever is getting beat and laying a lick on them.

I 100% agree with the bolded. On Jaguars.com, they have him MICC'D up and you see how well he can pass block. Really good stuff.

I have no reason to back this next claim up but I think he actually turns it around. We gotta remember that this is only the 3rd game this offense has had with Flip and only the 2nd start under Minshew. I think Flip/Minshew and company will start to find the plays that work best with this Oline and the ones that don't. Hopefully a turnaround is coming.

I don't know... his lack of vision is truly troubling. It's Trent Richardson-esque.

(09-26-2019, 02:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 01:08 PM)Rico Wrote: You mean the 2017 when  they led the league in rushing and were 6th on total offensive yards?  That 2017?

You realize that in 2018, of the top 10 offenses in yards, 8 of them were top 10 in passing right?

(09-26-2019, 02:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 02:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: But that's not how today's football is played.  It's archaic!
You realize that in 2018, of the top 10 offenses in yards, 8 of them were top 10 in passing right?

And?  Where were they as far as rushing?  I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm willing to bet that the number is up there.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 02:53 PM by Caldrac.)

(09-26-2019, 02:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 01:08 PM)Rico Wrote: You mean the 2017 when  they led the league in rushing and were 6th on total offensive yards?  That 2017?

It is archaic. They only managed to win 10 games with that approach and they were pulling special teams trick plays out of their [BLEEP] every other week to sustain the offense and give the defense a break. We had no Watson and Luck to deal with as well and there were several other teams on that schedule in 2017 that had injuries at the QB position or rookies or washed up veterans. 

And yet the tacks still managed to sweep them that year. They let Blaine Gabbert beat them in Arizona too and there was a handful of other games that they should have won but managed to give away because they simply could not get it done through the air when they needed to in order to compensate for being figured out on the ground. 

That conservative play calling [BLEEP] cost them a Superbowl trip. Period. They were lucky to beat Buffalo and they've historically always had Pittsburgh's number (they damn near let them comeback and beat them too). Buffalo was probably just as inept or boring on offense in 2017 with Tyrod Taylor at QB. Tired of seeing everybody on here hang their hats on 2017 like it's something to be proud of. They overachieved with an underachieving schedule due to injuries. 

Go back and look at the QB's they faced in 2017. It was pretty favorable for this team in general.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 02:56 PM by JackCity.)

Running the ball still matters even if passing is more valuable and efficient.

Being able to do both at a good level opens up your whole playbook and forces the defense to spend way more time gameplanning and adjusting mid game to your offense. A good example of this is Patriots Vs Chargers in the playoffs this year....chargers played safeties at linebackers to counter the ravens run game....then they played the Patriots who decided forced those safeties to shed block after block and they weren't able to.

I'm a big fan of stats and advanced metrics but football can essentially be boiled down to the "styles make fights" phrase imo

What does the Jags run game have to do with Jalen? Who can think about the run game when Jalen is sick, hurt, and expecting a baby.

There is no secret formula other than to do what you do well.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-26-2019, 03:05 PM)Rico Wrote: There is no secret formula other than to do what you do well.

Agreed. I don't care if they throw bombs downfield, run it for 4.5 YPC on average or dink and dunk teams to death up and down the field. Just do it well. Do it consistently enough to win games. The conservative play calling in the play-off's against New England cost them that game. You have to take chances. Can't be afraid to play with reckless abandon sometimes. Especially that year in particular with that defense. 

They made gutsy calls all year on special teams with Grant and trick plays and they didn't leave anything on the football field the week before at home against Pittsburgh. Bortles looked like he was about to pull a Flacco or Eli Manning (Better QB with the pressure on during the play-off's Vs. consistencies in the regular season) and they let off the gas in that one.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-26-2019, 01:08 PM)Rico Wrote:

What was so dumb about my statement.  Just an observation of the offense that Jaguars have ran since the beginning of the JDR days.

(09-26-2019, 02:47 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 02:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: You realize that in 2018, of the top 10 offenses in yards, 8 of them were top 10 in passing right?

And?  Where were they as far as rushing?  I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm willing to bet that the number is up there.
So because you're lazy I should do the work for you?

Being a run first football team is archaic and it's not hard to figure that out.

Running the ball is important but in todays NFL, passing is king. Doesn't make it right but the rules are made to take advantage of the defense through the air.

Remember back in the days, announcers would say, running game sets up the pass. Jaguars still believe that.

In a perfect world the offense defines the word "balance". The QB is hitting 10+ yards per pass completion and the RB's are hitting 4.0+ YPC on every attempt and they just rotate back and forth and the defense is constantly on it's heels. Unfortunately, as we all know, that perfect world only exists for teams like New England, New Orleans and Kansas City (To an extent).

It's not so much as HOW they do it. It's just a matter of whether or not it's consistent, effective and it's amounting to wins. Nobody cares how you operate as a football team as long as you're up on the scoreboard. But we've seen a long stretch of pretty lack luster play callers on the offensive side of the football. You can blame personnel to an extent. But coaches have to figure out a way to make things work with the players they have.

We'll see what Flip does with the running game. The knock on him with Zimmer was that he didn't even bother running it. Now here we are as fans [BLEEP] and complaining that he's trying too MUCH to run it and it's not getting them anywhere. We'll see though. At some point Minshew will need Fournette and the rest of the RB rotation to help him out.