Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Run Game Struggling

(09-26-2019, 03:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: In a perfect world the offense defines the word "balance". The QB is hitting 10+ yards per pass completion and the RB's are hitting 4.0+ YPC on every attempt and they just rotate back and forth and the defense is constantly on it's heels. Unfortunately, as we all know, that perfect world only exists for teams like New England, New Orleans and Kansas City (To an extent).

It's not so much as HOW they do it. It's just a matter of whether or not it's consistent, effective and it's amounting to wins. Nobody cares how you operate as a football team as long as you're up on the scoreboard. But we've seen a long stretch of pretty lack luster play callers on the offensive side of the football. You can blame personnel to an extent. But coaches have to figure out a way to make things work with the players they have.

We'll see what Flip does with the running game. The knock on him with Zimmer was that he didn't even bother running it. Now here we are as fans [BLEEP] and complaining that he's trying too MUCH to run it and it's not getting them anywhere. We'll see though. At some point Minshew will need Fournette and the rest of the RB rotation to help him out.
That indeed was the knock but man their Oline was awful last season.

Now they are healthy, added a few new guys and they're playing well.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-26-2019, 04:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 03:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: In a perfect world the offense defines the word "balance". The QB is hitting 10+ yards per pass completion and the RB's are hitting 4.0+ YPC on every attempt and they just rotate back and forth and the defense is constantly on it's heels. Unfortunately, as we all know, that perfect world only exists for teams like New England, New Orleans and Kansas City (To an extent).

It's not so much as HOW they do it. It's just a matter of whether or not it's consistent, effective and it's amounting to wins. Nobody cares how you operate as a football team as long as you're up on the scoreboard. But we've seen a long stretch of pretty lack luster play callers on the offensive side of the football. You can blame personnel to an extent. But coaches have to figure out a way to make things work with the players they have.

We'll see what Flip does with the running game. The knock on him with Zimmer was that he didn't even bother running it. Now here we are as fans [BLEEP] and complaining that he's trying too MUCH to run it and it's not getting them anywhere. We'll see though. At some point Minshew will need Fournette and the rest of the RB rotation to help him out.
That indeed was the knock but man their Oline was awful last season.

Whatever they're doing it's working. Dalvin Cook has been killing it so far on the ground for them for sure.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-26-2019, 02:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 01:08 PM)Rico Wrote: You mean the 2017 when  they led the league in rushing and were 6th on total offensive yards?  That 2017?

If you're gonna make dumb comments, at least have some truth to them.

But that's not how today's football is played.  It's archaic!

The game has passed it by! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Foles for a RB who doesn’t close his eyes after he’s handed the ball while headed for the line?

(09-26-2019, 05:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 04:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: That indeed was the knock but man their Oline was awful last season.

Whatever they're doing it's working. Dalvin Cook has been killing it so far on the ground for them for sure.

The Kubiak effect

(09-26-2019, 06:32 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 05:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Whatever they're doing it's working. Dalvin Cook has been killing it so far on the ground for them for sure.

The Kubiak effect
Oh. Forgot that's where he went. That makes perfect sense. He's a fan of the run zone blocking scheme right?

Where's Norv Turner at these days?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-26-2019, 06:56 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 06:32 PM)JackCity Wrote: The Kubiak effect
Oh. Forgot that's where he went. That makes perfect sense. He's a fan of the run zone blocking scheme right?

Where's Norv Turner at these days?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yep, like Houston used to have with Arian Foster..perfect system for Cook. 

Norvs with Panthers

(09-26-2019, 03:31 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Remember back in the days, announcers would say, running game sets up the pass.  Jaguars still believe that.
It still does if you have offensive linemen that can run block and true lead backs like you did in the past. Most running backs today are not 3 down backs but are complimentary  backs. Fournette is more like the latter than the former. And the coaching staff still believes he is a true lead 3 down back like fred taylor or maurice Jones drew. There are only like 4 true franchise backs in the league now Gurley, Elliott, Barkley and bell.

(09-26-2019, 09:09 PM)Marylandjagsfan89 Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 03:31 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Remember back in the days, announcers would say, running game sets up the pass.  Jaguars still believe that.
It still does if you have offensive linemen that can run block and true lead backs like you did in the past. Most running backs today are not 3 down backs but are complimentary  backs. Fournette is more like the latter than the former. And the coaching staff still believes he is a true lead 3 down back like fred taylor or maurice Jones drew. There are only like 4 true franchise backs in the league now Gurley, Elliott, Barkley and bell.

Teams with Franchise RB today

Gurley:  performer poorly in Super Bowl.
Elliott: no Super Bowl, no playoff wins
Barkly: TBD, but no Super Bowl probably for some time
Leveon Bell: no Super Bowl, probably never.

But you still have to have an above average qb in this league today to win a superbowl. I think minshew will be an above average starter. If the jags can fix the running game this team will be hard to beat.

(09-26-2019, 09:56 PM)Marylandjagsfan89 Wrote: But you still have to have an above average qb in this league today to win a superbowl. I think minshew will be an above average starter. If the jags can fix the running game this team will be hard to beat.

But the secondary of the jags is gonna be turrible

I think we'll see lots of little ways to help the run game on Sunday. Lots of jet motion, screens to act as runs and deception to try spring a run or two.

(09-28-2019, 02:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: I think we'll see lots of little ways to help the run game on Sunday. Lots of jet motion, screens to act as runs and deception to try spring a run or two.
Won't help one bit if LF is still ths RB. Either LF has to be replaced or they have to use a FB. He can't run without seeing where the whole is and the FB will run to the hole. Shotgun has never worked and they continue to keep forcing it.

I hope they don't force the run and lose the game because of it.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(09-28-2019, 03:44 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(09-28-2019, 02:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: I think we'll see lots of little ways to help the run game on Sunday. Lots of jet motion, screens to act as runs and deception to try spring a run or two.
Won't help one bit if LF is still ths RB. Either LF has to be replaced or they have to use a FB. He can't run without seeing where the whole is and the FB will run to the hole. Shotgun has never worked and they continue to keep forcing it.

Basically. Gets pretty crappy to see Minshew moving the ball down the field then it abruptly stops because they want to run three times in a row knowing that they're not running the ball well. Try it out early or periodically but not nonstop especially if it isn't working.

(09-26-2019, 09:34 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 09:09 PM)Marylandjagsfan89 Wrote: It still does if you have offensive linemen that can run block and true lead backs like you did in the past. Most running backs today are not 3 down backs but are complimentary  backs. Fournette is more like the latter than the former. And the coaching staff still believes he is a true lead 3 down back like fred taylor or maurice Jones drew. There are only like 4 true franchise backs in the league now Gurley, Elliott, Barkley and bell.

Teams with Franchise RB today

Gurley:  performer poorly in Super Bowl.
Elliott: no Super Bowl, no playoff wins
Barkly: TBD, but no Super Bowl probably for some time
Leveon Bell: no Super Bowl, probably never.

A lot of those guys you listed above though have been ran ragged throughout their careers and have flat out taken over games at times. With that said. It's been the Golden Age of Passing now for nearly a decade and some teams still hold onto old habits. If you look at last year's leading rushers. It's pretty wild. 

Elliott was No. 1 with 1,434 on the ground. Chubb was 10th with 996 yards on the ground. If we go back just to 7 years ago to 2012. We saw 16 rushers crack 1,000 yards in the NFL on the ground. Essentially half of the NFL was still relying on the ground game as a featured component to their respective offenses. 

With Peterson cracking 2K, Morris cracking 1600 with the Redskins and we saw two other runners in Lynch and Charles crack 1500 yards. Bradshaw with the Giants rounded out the list by slightly breaking the 1K mark. And he probably did that splitting carries and missing time with the Giants.

The game has clearly changed or transitioned into featuring more RB's in essentially a poor man's role of being Roger Craig, Thurman Thomas & Marshall Faulk. That's another problem with this team selecting Leonard Fournette two years ago. They were behind the 8-Ball and had they eyed guys like McCaffrey and Kamara they would have realized THOSE were the guys you wanted since it was beginning to trend that way in the NFL. Especially in Hackett's West Coast influenced offense from the 80's. We saw Grant being used in that mold, albeit, a little too late but it would have been interesting to see a guy like McCaffrey or Kamara installed in it over a guy like Fournette. 

But hey... it's not dated guys. It's not archaic at all. Never mind the fact that 2017's rushing total was also skewed thanks to Bortles' ability to run for his [BLEEP] life behind a suspect offensive line and several chunk plays were created on the ground thanks to Grant's rushing ability on special team's during fake punt attempts. Let's also ignore the fact that we played virtually NOBODY at the QB position in 2017 and we really just needed to grind the clock out and let the defense do most of the dirty work. 

[Image: were-not-old-6vkvjz.jpg]

(09-28-2019, 03:44 AM)p_rushing Wrote:

I disagree. Fournette isn't good but all of those things I listed can help the run game be more effective, especially if you get your screen game working and use it as a faux run game.

I posted these before (and YPC isn't everything) but this is Warhops recent history as Oline coach in the run game

Yards per rush attempt:

Bucs
2018: 30th (3.9)
2017: 27th (3.7)
2016: 30th (3.6)
2015: 2nd (4.8)
2014: 25th (3.9)

Browns
2013: 23rd (4)
2012: 21st (4)
2011: 31st (3.7)
2010: 20th (4)
2009: 17th (4.2)

Bounce back game for the run blocking , run calling and Fournette. Hell yeah

(09-29-2019, 06:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: Bounce back game for the run blocking , run calling and Fournette. Hell yeah

Holy hell did we need it

Great to see them figuring out some stuff to get Fournette better holes to hit.

(09-29-2019, 06:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-29-2019, 06:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: Bounce back game for the run blocking , run calling and Fournette. Hell yeah

Holy hell did we need it

Great to see them figuring out some stuff to get Fournette better holes to hit.

Will have to rewatch but it looks more like pure power now? Looks more like 2017 than anything we've seen to date