Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Leonard Fournette: Jags' run game 'very frustrating'

Leonard Fournette: Jags' run game 'very frustrating'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...rustrating

Leonard Fournette is off to a slow start. Doug Marrone said it's not him, it's his offensive line. The Jaguars aren't running much either. Is that more causation or correlation?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2019, 07:28 PM by Rockman1966.)

Here's two suggestions, stop dancing or hesitating in the hole.

Tony Boselli had a good take on this. As in the Oline are not solidified yet. Also stated Fournette needs to make something work and put in more effort.

It isn't the OL when you routinely run into their backside.

It's a combination of the offensive line and fournette. MJD and fred Taylor would still have success with this line but fournette is not good enough of a back to overcome the deficiencies in the offensive line. Fournette can't make his own hole or something out of nothing.

Fournette is big and ridiculously fast. He also has very poor vision apparently. The OL is not optimal but he's not hitting the holes very consistently either. With an all-pro OL he'd probably be a 1500 yard back. Without it, he's the 3.1 ypc guy we know.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-26-2019, 08:10 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: It isn't the OL when you routinely run into their backside.

It's both.

Terry "run it till it pops" Robiskie
[Image: incredulous.gif]

(09-26-2019, 10:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 08:10 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: It isn't the OL when you routinely run into their backside.

It's both.

I agree but the article implied Fournette had little fault in the failures of the run game. The blocking is horrible, but Fournette wouldn’t look nearly as pedestrian if he’d hit even a couple of the holes they actually manage to create for him.

(09-26-2019, 11:31 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 10:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's both.

I agree but the article implied Fournette had little fault in the failures of the run game. The blocking is horrible, but Fournette wouldn’t look nearly as pedestrian if he’d hit even a couple of the holes they actually manage to create for him.

We're on the same page I think.

I feel like the line has run blocked well on maybe 15%  of the run snaps this season. Which is miserable. (often it's just one or two guys, but still, it's different guys each time)

The flip side of the coin is that Fournette has had some escape routes on a solid number of these doomed snaps and he hasn't seen or chosen them.

(09-26-2019, 10:56 PM)Nashville.Dave Wrote: Terry "run it till it pops" Robiskie

You ain't lyin'

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2019, 12:21 AM by Corriewf.)

Quote:Leonard Fournette just wants a chance. His head coach agrees he's not getting one.

Does this not sound like a loser saying something like this?

I’m not trying to be mean. I’m not.. but I don’t recall a good running back ever getting the carries yet complaining about having a chance. It just comes across like the whiny neighborhood kid no one ever wanted on their team because everything wasn’t fair. 

Good running backs make something out of nothing. Go watch some Barry Sanders tapes. Glad to have gotten to see him play in person. He could make anything happen at any time..no holes needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GykaB6Fip8U

3:18...omg..just imagine Fournette in the same situation.

(09-27-2019, 12:13 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
Quote:Leonard Fournette just wants a chance. His head coach agrees he's not getting one.

Does this not sound like a loser saying something like this?

I’m not trying to be mean. I’m not.. but I don’t recall a good running back ever getting the carries yet complaining about having a chance. It just comes across like the whiny neighborhood kid no one ever wanted on their team because everything wasn’t fair. 

Good running backs make something out of nothing. Go watch some Barry Sanders tapes. Glad to have gotten to see him play in person. He could make anything happen at any time..no holes needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GykaB6Fip8U

3:18...omg..just imagine Fournette in the same situation.

Truly a special player, along with the hero from my youth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP6Ok8lyHuE

Take either of them in their prime & put them on our team right now and it wouldn't matter if we had a below-average line.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

Why is Armstead not getting Snaps? Is he really that bad?

In my opinion, the problem is the run blocking. Fournette is what he is. He doesn't run like Barry Sanders. He's a straight ahead power back. But he's running in to a brick wall. He has no chance at all.

That's my opinion.

Lageman stated on the radio that Fournette stutter steps frequently which indicates indecisiveness and kills momentum. I don’t think there’s an O line in the league that could open up the holes Fournette wants. His lack of vision is the larger culprit here.

(09-27-2019, 05:54 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Lageman stated on the radio that Fournette stutter steps frequently which indicates indecisiveness and kills momentum. I don’t think there’s an O line in the league that could open up the holes Fournette wants. His lack of vision is the larger culprit here.

That may be true, but in his defense, when the run blocking is as bad as it has been this year, a guy can lose confidence.   Since the hole that is supposed to be in a certain spot is never there, he is probably hesitating over whether to just slam it in there or look for somewhere else to go.  And as we have seen so many times, when he turns away from that brick wall and tries to go sideways, he's swarmed on.  

Leonard Fournette is not going to dance around like Barry Sanders.  He's never been capable of running like that and everybody has always known that.  He needs some blocking.  The offensive line so far has been incapable of executing the type of plays that are designed for a back like Leonard Fournette.   It's a mismatch between the back and the offensive line.  Which is baffling to me, because I think we have enough talent on our offensive line to execute the type of plays that Fournette is capable of executing.  Maybe I'm wrong and those guys are not as talented as I think.

I'm not saying he's a stud, but Thursday night there were so many tacks in the backfield early there was rarely anything he could do.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-27-2019, 06:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 05:54 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Lageman stated on the radio that Fournette stutter steps frequently which indicates indecisiveness and kills momentum. I don’t think there’s an O line in the league that could open up the holes Fournette wants. His lack of vision is the larger culprit here.

That may be true, but in his defense, when the run blocking is as bad as it has been this year, a guy can lose confidence.   Since the hole that is supposed to be in a certain spot is never there, he is probably hesitating over whether to just slam it in there or look for somewhere else to go.  And as we have seen so many times, when he turns away from that brick wall and tries to go sideways, he's swarmed on.  

Leonard Fournette is not going to dance around like Barry Sanders.  He's never been capable of running like that and everybody has always known that.  He needs some blocking.  The offensive line so far has been incapable of executing the type of plays that are designed for a back like Leonard Fournette.   It's a mismatch between the back and the offensive line.  Which is baffling to me, because I think we have enough talent on our offensive line to execute the type of plays that Fournette is capable of executing.  Maybe I'm wrong and those guys are not as talented as I think.
Hit the hole hard and at least pick up a few yards. The OL may start opening holes if he kept hitting them in the back at full speed. Instead he stutter steps and waits behind the OL for a hole that never opens, meanwhile he misses the open hole.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Yes, I've noticed this frequently. The line stinks. He exacerbates it.

Fournette is the only RB in the league with both a 90% carry share and a 20% target share.

That's coaching malpractice