Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Leonard Fournette: Jags' run game 'very frustrating'

Oh sure and folks in hell want Ice water.... our run game will not function until we put the fear in DCs minds of ever thinking about stacking the box 42% of the time.

If GM has 45+50 passing attempts you can bet your [BLEEP] he is running it for at least five of those attempts for huge chunks of yards, that is if this scheme can get aggressive enough to pose a legitimate deep passing threat. GM is a high percentage passing guy. Our running game is a low percentage yardage game. 1.7 yards or 5 yards per play attempt? Do the math

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-26-2019, 09:35 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Fournette is big and ridiculously fast. He also has very poor vision apparently. The OL is not optimal but he's not hitting the holes very consistently either. With an all-pro OL he'd probably be a 1500 yard back. Without it, he's the 3.1 ypc guy we know.

If he was that fast he wouldn't have gotten run down the game.

I watched Fournette pick up a 3rd and 20, then a 1st and 10 then a 2nd and 10

All in the same drive through the air

(09-28-2019, 02:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-28-2019, 02:37 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: ...

We want GM to throw it 45-50 times a game. 

No.
No we don't. 
I want the run game to function enough that we can set up more play-action shots downfield. 
Which is also something DeFilippo alluded to in his presser a few days ago.

There's actually no correlation between rushing success and play action success. Play action is more successful than non play action no matter how often or how successfully you have run previously. Just do more play actions period and prosper.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a...on-passing

"Putting this all together, I cannot find any support for the success of play-action passing being related in any way to a team's rushing statistics, whether measured by frequency or effectiveness. Coming into this, I did not know what to expect. Since play-by-play data on play-action passing is not readily available, it was something I had long wondered but never been able to look into. After measuring this every way I could think if, it appears that the conventional wisdom that running is necessary for play-action passes to be effective should be questioned. We have a lot of evidence that play-action passing is more effective than non-play-action passing, so the big question that remains is why teams run play-action so infrequently (the percentage of passes that are play-action has hovered around 20 percent since 2011). What would happen if teams started devoting a higher share of their plays to play-action passing?"

Fragile Fournette. Same OLine except a solid rookie and a pro bowler were added... He isn't playing like he did in 2017 where he was seeing the holes and had the burst to get to the 2nd level and then the physical finishes. He ran his wheels off already.. we need to spell him or he should just take himself out of the game. I can't imagine we wouldn't have more success. He is good in the passing game that's it. Perhaps he knows if he sits out he won't see the field again.
No pain, no gain.

(09-28-2019, 05:38 PM)Upper Wrote:
(09-28-2019, 02:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: No.
No we don't. 
I want the run game to function enough that we can set up more play-action shots downfield. 
Which is also something DeFilippo alluded to in his presser a few days ago.

There's actually no correlation between rushing success and play action success.  Play action is more successful than non play action no matter how often or how successfully you have run previously. Just do more play actions period and prosper.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-a...on-passing

"Putting this all together, I cannot find any support for the success of play-action passing being related in any way to a team's rushing statistics, whether measured by frequency or effectiveness. Coming into this, I did not know what to expect. Since play-by-play data on play-action passing is not readily available, it was something I had long wondered but never been able to look into. After measuring this every way I could think if, it appears that the conventional wisdom that running is necessary for play-action passes to be effective should be questioned. We have a lot of evidence that play-action passing is more effective than non-play-action passing, so the big question that remains is why teams run play-action so infrequently (the percentage of passes that are play-action has hovered around 20 percent since 2011). What would happen if teams started devoting a higher share of their plays to play-action passing?"

Setting up play action with the run has little to do with a team's rushing statistics. It's merely a tactic within the chess match between offensive and defensive coordinators. 

If the defensive formation and personnel is showing respect to the run threat, play action becomes more effective as long as your line can protect. The protection factor is the reason teams don't run it more frequently.

(09-26-2019, 09:35 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Fournette is big and ridiculously fast. He also has very poor vision apparently. The OL is not optimal but he's not hitting the holes very consistently either. With an all-pro OL he'd probably be a 1500 yard back. Without it, he's the 3.1 ypc guy we know.

Since when is 3.1 YPC a bad thing.. that’s pretty good in the NFL.

(09-28-2019, 02:55 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: https://twitter.com/JoshKeatley16/status...79488?s=20

Flacco has never passed for 400? Surprising.

(09-29-2019, 01:28 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:

Since when is 3.1 YPC a bad thing.. that’s pretty good in the NFL.

3.1 YPC would be towards dead last for players that get a lot of carries. It’s been terrible for a while.

Good running backs routinely average over 4 and sometimes 5 ypc.

For instance Fred Taylor IIRC is a 4.6 ypc for his entire career which is very good.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Nick Chubb. 166 yards, 3 TD's. But yeahhhhh we didnt need a RB...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-28-2019, 02:55 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: https://twitter.com/JoshKeatley16/status...79488?s=20

It's a shame Minshew has to be on that graphic with all those nobodies.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-28-2019, 10:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 11:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: So basically they're running with a pretty dated and basic approach with the ground game which is furthed burdened by a "power" back they drafted that's cut weight and is now running more and east and west instead of north and south.

Coaching could techincally salvage that. Just need to see the concepts changed. I saw a [BLEEP] ton of whiffed blocks too though in those highlights.

I said it in a different thread. But if they want to truly run with power then they should stop being cute and just bring back the FB position and run it in a traditional power formation.

I believe he doesn't have a good feel anymore with his vision. A good way to help him with that is by taking some of the guess work out for him. I liked the mismatch blocking approach leaning towards essentially the leanest part of the defense [Get 5 hats going in the direction towards 3 defenders].

He still has good open field ability and raw speed and power if he can make it past the line of defense. He just needs a solid lead blocker and help setting that edge up so he can pick up speed. It's doable. Marrone and Flip need to scheme it up.

I agree very much with this. For whatever reason, Fournette has lost his confidence as a dynamic runner. Getting a heavy body in the backfield to share the load and open up a lane for him to pile on the steam would benefit him both tactically and psychologically. Tommy Bohanon is a free agent right now.
[Image: 7c02e2e097f5c961d42fc6a55b28d986.gif]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

For those of you that think Fournette can’t wiggle, go watch the run he had in the 3rd quarter with 16 seconds left on the clock.

He put his foot in the ground and put Harris on skates and picked up an extra 10 yards.

He ran over the safety and made him butt flop. Man...he’s a load and he’s fast and can catch. I don’t see why all the hate. He put the team on his back yesterday.

(09-30-2019, 09:03 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: For those of you that think Fournette can’t wiggle, go watch the run he had in the 3rd quarter with 16 seconds left on the clock.

He put his foot in the ground and put Harris on skates and picked up an extra 10 yards.

He ran over the safety and made him butt flop. Man...he’s a load and he’s fast and can catch. I don’t see why all the hate. He put the team on his back yesterday.

And Ozzie Smith hit a home run every now and then too. No one would say he had power because of that.

(09-30-2019, 09:03 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: For those of you that think Fournette can’t wiggle, go watch the run he had in the 3rd quarter with 16 seconds left on the clock.

He's always had power. I think the concern this year was his lack of vision and inability to get North & South decisively.

Too much East & West with him. They started throwing a lead blocker in front of him yesterday and they were pulling good to the outside.

He's a steam engine. He just needs time to literally pick up his momentum off the giddy up and when he does he can make plays. Tremendous difference yesterday.

I said it earlier. If they want to be a power run team they need to be a power run team and stop being cute with their formations. If it's obvious formation wise? So what? At some point he's going to break the door down and find a chasm of daylight.

They imposed their will yesterday. It felt good to see it. Especially in Denver. Now that they have a QB who will take shots and keep a defense honest. They now have a wide variety of options with Flip's playbook.