Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Leonard Fournette: Jags' run game 'very frustrating'

(09-27-2019, 09:41 PM)JackCity Wrote: Fournette is the only RB in the league with both a 90% carry share and a 20% target share.

That's coaching malpractice

Yup.. One or two of the games he was on the field for literally every Offensive snap. Like really? I understand the guy might be in great shape, but give the man a breather once in awhile, at least. They didn't even take him out of the game after that 69 yard run. Iirc, they gave him the ball again on the very next snap lol.

They really need to give Armstead, or another RB a couple looks. Or maybe they're too scared to have Fournette get shown up by the other RBs  Laughing

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

When you run up the sidelines and NEVER attempt to gain extra yardage, instead running out of bounds. Well. Wow.

What's keeping this staff from using Armstead though? Doesn't make any sense. He had the head injury during preseason and that's all I am aware of.

With Fournette's injury history you would think they would have more rotations going on.

Even during the greatest stretch of overall rushing attacks within this franchise they always had a steady rotation for the most part.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-27-2019, 09:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: What's keeping this staff from using Armstead though? Doesn't make any sense. He had the head injury during preseason and that's all I am aware of.

With Fournette's injury history you would think they would have more rotations going on.

Even during the greatest stretch of overall rushing attacks within this franchise they always had a steady rotation for the most part.

Armstead got 1 carry, for 7 yards in the Chiefs game and I don't think hes seen the field since. Doesn't make any sense honestly.

(09-27-2019, 10:02 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 09:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: What's keeping this staff from using Armstead though? Doesn't make any sense. He had the head injury during preseason and that's all I am aware of.

Armstead got 1 carry, for 7 yards in the Chiefs game and I don't think hes seen the field since. Doesn't make any sense honestly.
I want to say it's maybe a case of buyer's remorse already. But then again if that were true they would have had to pick up another back or two at this point to address it.

Hopefully it all comes together this weekend on the ground. If not, it's only a matter of time before defenses start scheming up better against the passing game.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

While it doesn't really introduce anything many people haven't already been saying, this video does a very good job encapsulating all that is wrong with Fournette and the Jags run game in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjYVLnzs61o&t=4s

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2019, 11:04 PM by Caldrac.)

(09-27-2019, 10:42 PM)Upper Wrote: While it doesn't really introduce anything many people haven't already been saying, this video does a very good job encapsulating all that is wrong with Fournette and the Jags run game in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjYVLnzs61o&t=4s
So basically they're running with a pretty dated and basic approach with the ground game which is furthed burdened by a "power" back they drafted that's cut weight and is now running more and east and west instead of north and south.

Coaching could techincally salvage that. Just need to see the concepts changed. I saw a [BLEEP] ton of whiffed blocks too though in those highlights.

I said it in a different thread. But if they want to truly run with power then they should stop being cute and just bring back the FB position and run it in a traditional power formation.

I believe he doesn't have a good feel anymore with his vision. A good way to help him with that is by taking some of the guess work out for him. I liked the mismatch blocking approach leaning towards essentially the leanest part of the defense [Get 5 hats going in the direction towards 3 defenders].

He still has good open field ability and raw speed and power if he can make it past the line of defense. He just needs a solid lead blocker and help setting that edge up so he can pick up speed. It's doable. Marrone and Flip need to scheme it up.

(09-27-2019, 11:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: He still has good open field ability and raw speed and power if he can make it past the line of defense. He just needs a solid lead blocker and help setting that edge up so he can pick up speed. It's doable. Marrone and Flip need to scheme it up.

Yeah, maybe it is doable. But then you hamper the entire rest of our offense. The NFL is shotgun 11 personnel base now, and our QB right now hails from perhaps the preeminent air raid offense left in college. Are you throwing everything else in the trash to try to salvage Fournette?

(09-27-2019, 11:23 PM)Upper Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 11:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: He still has good open field ability and raw speed and power if he can make it past the line of defense. He just needs a solid lead blocker and help setting that edge up so he can pick up speed. It's doable. Marrone and Flip need to scheme it up.

Yeah, maybe it is doable. But then you hamper the entire rest of our offense. The NFL is shotgun 11 personnel base now, and our QB right now hails from perhaps the preeminent air raid offense left in college. Are you throwing everything else in the trash to try to salvage Fournette?
Nope. I am saying they've failed to make it work with just trusting him enough to do it on his own.

If it's short yardage needed or a game that can be managed they need to run him in an effective formation based on his strengths and weaknesses.

If anything it'll keep a defense honest, allow Minshew to breath and make it harder for defenses to tee off on him. He may actually be a solid passer in the play action game too.

Better than Bortles for sure. I would just hate to see this kid collapse under the pressure of having to throw 30 - 40 passes per game. It's opening him up to a lot of big hits down the road.

(09-27-2019, 11:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 11:23 PM)Upper Wrote: Yeah, maybe it is doable. But then you hamper the entire rest of our offense. The NFL is shotgun 11 personnel base now, and our QB right now hails from perhaps the preeminent air raid offense left in college. Are you throwing everything else in the trash to try to salvage Fournette?
Nope. I am saying they've failed to make it work with just trusting him enough to do it on his own.

If it's short yardage needed or a game that can be managed they need to run him in an effective formation based on his strengths and weaknesses.

If anything it'll keep a defense honest, allow Minshew to breath and make it harder for defenses to tee off on him. He may actually be a solid passer in the play action game too.

Better than Bortles for sure. I would just hate to see this kid collapse under the pressure of having to throw 30 - 40 passes per game. It's opening him up to a lot of big hits down the road.

Minshew threw it 662 times last year at Washington State, in 13 games. That's about 51 times per game.

(09-27-2019, 11:38 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 11:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Nope. I am saying they've failed to make it work with just trusting him enough to do it on his own.

Minshew threw it 662 times last year at Washington State, in 13 games. That's about 51 times per game.
At a college level in a comfortable offense. There's going to come a game where he's going to get hammered in the pocket. Need some sort of counter balance to spare him from a potential [BLEEP] beating.

It's physically demanding. I just hope they balance it out. It's bad enough with Foles out. They may have caught lightning in a bottle with Minshew but all it takes is one misblock and that bottle goes flying off the shelf again.

(09-27-2019, 11:38 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 11:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Nope. I am saying they've failed to make it work with just trusting him enough to do it on his own.

Pretty amazing number considering his completion percentage.

(09-27-2019, 11:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 11:38 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Minshew threw it 662 times last year at Washington State, in 13 games. That's about 51 times per game.
At a college level in a comfortable offense.  There's going to come a game where he's going to get hammered in the pocket. Need some sort of counter balance to spare him from a potential [BLEEP] beating.

It's physically demanding. I just hope they balance it out. It's bad enough with Foles out. They may have caught lightning in a bottle with Minshew but all it takes is one misblock and that bottle goes flying off the shelf again.

Obviously we don't want him throwing it 45+ times per game, that would mean our Defense was giving up a lot of points and our run game got even worse. But I wouldn't be too worried if he had to go out there and do it for a couple games, if need be.

25-35 times per game is likely the sweet spot and he gets the ball out pretty fast which limits the possible hits. It's football, he's going to get hit. Can't be scared to let him go out there and sling it because of that.

MJD was always good for 4 yards a carry on some horrendous offences. Great players make plays and don't need everyone around them to be playing well. LF is just a mediocre back.

(09-27-2019, 11:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 10:42 PM)Upper Wrote: While it doesn't really introduce anything many people haven't already been saying, this video does a very good job encapsulating all that is wrong with Fournette and the Jags run game in general.
So basically they're running with a pretty dated and basic approach with the ground game which is furthed burdened by a "power" back they drafted that's cut weight and is now running more and east and west instead of north and south.

Coaching could techincally salvage that. Just need to see the concepts changed. I saw a [BLEEP] ton of whiffed blocks too though in those highlights.

I said it in a different thread. But if they want to truly run with power then they should stop being cute and just bring back the FB position and run it in a traditional power formation.

I believe he doesn't have a good feel anymore with his vision. A good way to help him with that is by taking some of the guess work out for him. I liked the mismatch blocking approach leaning towards essentially the leanest part of the defense [Get 5 hats going in the direction towards 3 defenders].

He still has good open field ability and raw speed and power if he can make it past the line of defense. He just needs a solid lead blocker and help setting that edge up so he can pick up speed. It's doable. Marrone and Flip need to scheme it up.

I agree very much with this. For whatever reason, Fournette has lost his confidence as a dynamic runner. Getting a heavy body in the backfield to share the load and open up a lane for him to pile on the steam would benefit him both tactically and psychologically. Tommy Bohanon is a free agent right now.

Fournette ran hard until his first injury. Afterwards, he’d stop or pull up just before contact. Now he’s running out of bounds whenever possible. He runs scared and hesitates. If he doesn’t improve this season, I’d look to trade him for anything I could get.

I am not against Leonard Fournette, per se. His yards per carry are a respectable 4.2. The Jaguars as a team, however, are averaging just south of 15 carries per game. In my opinion, this is not enough. Now, granted, this is a team that has been largely playing from behind, which puts a lot of pressure on Minshew and the passing game. I am not convinced that Fournette can handle 20 carries and maintain a 4.0 average. The armchair GM in me feels like we should be closer to 25 attempts per game on the ground. I feel we need a change of pace guy, someone to give us an additional 10 or so carries. That way we could keep Fournette fresh and get more production out of the running game. If the Jags are not confident in the rookie Armstead, perhaps they should kick the tires on a running back who could come in and contribute 10 carries. Just to throw a name out there, perhaps a guy like Jay Ajayi, who is available, is a free agent, reportedly healthy, and is a year removed from a torn ACL. Whether it's him or someone else, I feel as though the Jaguars should take a look at somebody if they do not have the confidence in Armstead to do the job.

Your thoughts?

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2019, 02:40 PM by Jagsbch.)

Caldrac nailed it. “So basically they're running with a pretty dated and basic approach with the ground game which is furthed burdened by a "power" back they drafted that's cut weight and is now running more and east and west instead of north and south.”

DATED BASIC

This is pretty much what I have been harping on. Add predictable to the mix while your at it, along with a conservative passing game that has DC’s licking their chops at our 1.7 per carry running game. That 69 yarder was a fluke, an aberration.

We want GM to throw it 45-50 times a game. The ball in his hands gives us our best chance to win, anyone thinking he’s not up to the challenge, clearly has not been paying attention to the mettle his character possess. If his completion percentages and his QB rating wasn’t off the charts it would be one thing, but burdening him with a mediocre scheme, is a much heavier cross for him be bare. Time to unleash him from a scheme that is acting like a dampener on the engine of this team.

The scheme is what is ailing us, granted Fournette lacks vision, lacks the true grit to take it to defenders with a passion, but when you spread the defense out with the deep passing game, those handicaps will be more bearable than they are now with the coach putting it on the line with our starting RB to carry us to the promise land. We won’t get there at this rate, if Doug is allowed to maintain his mediocre status quo scheme. Enough is enough, isn’t it? How many more decades must we suffer this crap?

Ramsey now Fournette, this domino effect of disgruntled players will continue as long as Doug and his mediocre approach is allowed to wreak havoc with this team.

(09-28-2019, 02:37 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: ...

We want GM to throw it 45-50 times a game. 

No.
No we don't. 
I want the run game to function enough that we can set up more play-action shots downfield. 
Which is also something DeFilippo alluded to in his presser a few days ago.