Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Aggressiveness of the Offense

Pretty good article from BCC (never thought I'd type those words)

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/9/26/...-defilippo

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've argued this point with several posters here to no avail.

I expect that, depending upon opponent and whether the run game can open up play action, we'll see even more aggressive calls from Flip moving forward.

It's only been 3 games but I like Dflip more than any other OC we've had in like 15 years....

Premise of this article that our offense is being more aggressive is based on the fact of how we are only managing less than two yards a carry rushing it on first down. Thanks to the box stacked 42% of the time due to the lack of aggressive offense on first and second down. With an average like that, your not being aggressive, just desperate to move the ball especially in a dink and dunk fashion that’s only seen two deep passes on 1st and 2nd down in both games Minshew started. This article is laughable. Passing short high percentage passes does not an aggressive offense make. One thing this article does highlight is how desperate we are for an aggressive offense. This guy is seeing a mirage!

(09-27-2019, 10:19 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: Premise of this article that our offense is  being more aggressive is based on the fact of how we  are only managing less than two yards a carry rushing it on first down. Thanks to the box stacked 42% of the time due to the lack of aggressive offense on first and second down. With an average like that, your not being aggressive, just desperate to move the ball especially in a dink and dunk fashion that’s only seen two deep passes on 1st and 2nd down in both games Minshew started. This article is laughable. Passing short high percentage passes does not an aggressive offense make. One thing this article does highlight is how desperate we are for an aggressive offense. This guy is seeing a mirage!

Boy you're dumb.

We pass all the time on first down.

Short passes on first down because we can’t move the ball on the ground does not equate to an aggressive offense, it equates to desperately trying to make our mediocre scheme survive. Anyone wanting to equate the 24th ranked scoring offense as aggressive, ought to have their heads examined.

Go back to your other teams Jagsbch, you don't deserve any respect here.

(09-27-2019, 10:19 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: Premise of this article that our offense is  being more aggressive is based on the fact of how we  are only managing less than two yards a carry rushing it on first down. Thanks to the box stacked 42% of the time due to the lack of aggressive offense on first and second down. With an average like that, your not being aggressive, just desperate to move the ball especially in a dink and dunk fashion that’s only seen two deep passes on 1st and 2nd down in both games Minshew started. This article is laughable. Passing short high percentage passes does not an aggressive offense make. One thing this article does highlight is how desperate we are for an aggressive offense. This guy is seeing a mirage!

We throw the ball 60% of the time on first down which is too half of the league. 

Even if Fournette was averaging 4-5 ypc on 1st down, I don't think you'd see much difference in the 1st down passing numbers. And to say otherwise is speculation.

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2019, 10:58 PM by Jagsbch.)

If? You just speculated...

Repeat after me throwing the ball short is not aggressive, no matter how many times you do it. It’s a safe high percentage play.

Tinhorns and tacks are fairly decent defenses. I am waiting to see what the run game can do these next few weeks. Hopefully we can see some improvement. Anybody else noticed it also appears 4nette is wearing some sort of high top cleats which seems a little odd. Is he trying to protect his ankles?

(09-27-2019, 10:55 PM)Jagsbch Wrote: You just speculated...

Repeat after me throwing the ball short is not aggressive, no matter how many times you do it. It’s a safe high percentage play.

Throwing the ball short is a very big part of this offense because this offense was built by the guy that knows Foles' greatest strengths. 

Now that Flip has seen Minshew for 2.5 weeks he'll be altering his calls more and more to suit the kid. 

He stated openly that they stayed conservative with KC and Houston for the most part because you'd be a fool to throw a sixth round rookie to the wolves right out of the gate. And he's right about that. 
They opened it up early some vs the titans and went up 17 points by doing so.
We WILL see more of that now that Minshew has earned trust -  and also:

Focusing on intermediate and deep throws too much is a fool's errand when the >10 yard throws are producing first downs at a high rate.

Producing first downs at a high rate? Wrong again New York! 12 first downs the last game compared to the Titans 21 is a atrocious. We were 2 for 11 attempts on third down last week to a titans team that possessed the ball ten more minutes than we did because of our mediocre conservative scheme.

(09-28-2019, 07:53 AM)Jagsbch Wrote: Producing first downs at a high rate? Wrong again New York! 12 first downs the last game compared to the Titans 21 is a atrocious. We were  2 for 11 attempts on third down last week to a titans team that possessed the ball ten more minutes than we did because of our mediocre conservative scheme.

I guess it comes down to what you like? What's better? A few quickies with the ole lady here and there or a few big nights a few times a week out of nowhere? Either way, I don't care. We're scoring regardless. Just win.. baby? 

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-28-2019, 07:53 AM)Jagsbch Wrote: Producing first downs at a high rate? Wrong again New York! 12 first downs the last game compared to the Titans 21 is a atrocious. We were  2 for 11 attempts on third down last week to a titans team that possessed the ball ten more minutes than we did because of our mediocre conservative scheme.

I've explained this to you three times. 

They led by 17 and went to the run in that game. 

The Jags offense is moving the chains efficiently. The scheme is fine.

Not to mention the tacks had the ball 10 minutes more in the game ....so yeah, they had more first downs but
were sorely lacking where it matters ......in points.  Big Grin
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Westbrook also dropped a gift in the end zone too in that one.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I love Flip so far. Very happy that we have him at OC.

(09-27-2019, 10:14 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: It's only been 3 games but I like Dflip more than any other OC we've had in like 15 years....

100% agree
No Fun

I'm Luvn our New Look offense while I'm at the notion that the aggressiveness is coming from GM15. He's playing to continue being the starter. He wants it and he wants it bad which is a good thing. Also, even though it has faultered, Marrone has been agressive in certain situations as well. Last year we were predictable on first downs, not so much this year. I'm hoping this trend continues.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"