Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Where's the love for Fournette?

(10-27-2019, 05:01 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: He's playing okay, but not good enough to justify his draft position.

Is it disturbing anyone else that he's getting run down from behind on every long run?

Would you prefer we took somebody else who ended up being a total bust? Because that happens OFTEN with high picks incase you haven't been paying attention to the rest of the nfl. 

Or here's an example - Josh Allen was picked high, he's balling, but you're telling me he's more valuable to the team than LF... A guy who handles the ball 25+ times per game (typically) for our offense?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-28-2019, 07:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 06:38 PM)Upper Wrote: Both sides of the argument are silly. Of course the 60 yarders matter, but if given the choice you'd much rather have a balanced 19 for 76 than 1 for 66 and 18 for 10 yards.

I've explained this before, but I'll do it again. 

Flip and Marrone have spoken several times about getting Fournette to 20 carries in games. 
It's a goal they have identified for good reason. 
When you have a power back and you are running from power run sets, a well established aspect of that strategy's success is the wearing down of the defensive front you are facing.  Offenses game-plan this and we've seen it work to Fournette's advantage in 4 games this season.  The other way the power run sets can affect games is when they are just perfectly executed/blocked by O-Linemen and TEs. That's what we saw early on Sunday from the Jags. 
I credit DeFilippo for adjusting to more of this after a few games this year when he saw Fournette needed help getting going. 

These (sometimes infrequent) big runs come by design and it is understood by coaches that they all won't be home runs. It requires patience many of today's fans simply do not possess. 

Looking at numbers and trying to make them say what you want will not work here. There is more at play than averages and outliers.

This isn't new....didn't we do the same thing with MJD?

When you build around the run game, the goal is starting out with 2, 3 yard runs, but by Q4, those are 5, 7 yard runs, and eventually a few 18, 27 yarders find their way in.

It's attrition, death by a thousand cuts, not a chainsaw to the neck.

We can't discount the receiving yards, either. Screens help to keep the D out of the middle, opening up those bigger gains later in the game.

(10-29-2019, 08:58 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 07:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've explained this before, but I'll do it again. 

Flip and Marrone have spoken several times about getting Fournette to 20 carries in games. 
It's a goal they have identified for good reason. 
When you have a power back and you are running from power run sets, a well established aspect of that strategy's success is the wearing down of the defensive front you are facing.  Offenses game-plan this and we've seen it work to Fournette's advantage in 4 games this season.  The other way the power run sets can affect games is when they are just perfectly executed/blocked by O-Linemen and TEs. That's what we saw early on Sunday from the Jags. 
I credit DeFilippo for adjusting to more of this after a few games this year when he saw Fournette needed help getting going. 

These (sometimes infrequent) big runs come by design and it is understood by coaches that they all won't be home runs. It requires patience many of today's fans simply do not possess. 

Looking at numbers and trying to make them say what you want will not work here. There is more at play than averages and outliers.

This isn't new....didn't we do the same thing with MJD?

When you build around the run game, the goal is starting out with 2, 3 yard runs, but by Q4, those are 5, 7 yard runs, and eventually a few 18, 27 yarders find their way in.

It's attrition, death by a thousand cuts, not a chainsaw to the neck.

We can't discount the receiving yards, either. Screens help to keep the D out of the middle, opening up those bigger gains later in the game.

Yes. We did this with MJD. 

I remember him once breaking down a 3rd quarter run that he took to the house from midfield.
He simply pointed out the blocks that the o-line executed perfectly, mentioned that we had run it a few times that day, but this time the defense was tired and he had a gaping hole to sprint through.  

Yes to your other points as well.

LF27 is a changed man ..... I wonder who among the message board here would have the
determination, strength and sheer will to make the kind of change in their own lives
that Leonard did this past off season.
Ehhh? Thought so.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(10-29-2019, 10:04 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: LF27 is a changed man ..... I wonder who among the message board here would have the
determination, strength and sheer will to make the kind of change in their own lives
that Leonard did this past off season.
Ehhh? Thought so.

He’s not a saint he’s a Jaguar.  Big Grin

He dropped some friends and cleaned up his act.. should have done that when he was drafted in the first round. 

A lot of us have done the same thing for a lot less money or just simply peace of mind.

Enjoyed this- 

https://youtu.be/rtrZn7jXdcc

3:03 ^  

[Image: giphy.gif]

@Corriewf - you beat me to it! Thats a great video showing a fan friendly LF27 ...way different than the kind of person he was last year.
all the time giving opponents "The Business" on the field.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

“Eheheheheheheh…”

- Leonard Fournette

(10-30-2019, 10:01 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: @Corriewf - you beat me to it! Thats a great video showing a fan friendly LF27 ...way different than the kind of person he was last year.
all the time giving opponents "The Business" on the field.

Really digging the chemistry between Minshew and LF in that video!

(10-30-2019, 09:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: 3:03 ^  

[Image: giphy.gif]

That was my favorite part Smile

Just saw the mic’d up with Leonard Fournette segment and I was shocked by how physical he is in pass pro at the beginning of the video. It is also very evident that he has a very strong connection with his teammates. I honestly can not believe the transformation this young man has made.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

I dig the miced up segment, sounds like a fun guy to play with.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Said it earlier. LF27 is a big help in pass protection. I think he'll have a big game in London. 100+ and a pair of TDs. One on the ground. One in the air.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

*using toothpick to remove bits of crow feather from teeth*

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1189878693168058370?s=20

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2019, 08:58 AM by Nikowho.)

That is NOT a stat I expected to see him leading in. Wow. Any of that crow left to pass around? I'll take my helping.

What an awesome stat ....have a feeling he's going to have more fun as he runs harder

(10-31-2019, 08:19 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: *using toothpick to remove bits of crow feather from teeth*

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1189878693168058370?s=20