Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What has happened to our once vaunted defense?

How embarrassing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-06-2019, 08:54 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 08:45 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Just gonna drop this here...
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...t-stop-it/

Reminiscent of the Seattle (?) game when Puz kept getting isolated on the slot WR downfield a few seasons ago.

i.e. Wash got pencil whipped by Turner.

Big time. 

That trend is becoming too common. Twice in five weeks this season so far.

We miss Gipson as well

(10-06-2019, 08:54 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 08:45 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Just gonna drop this here...
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...t-stop-it/

Reminiscent of the Seattle (?) game when Puz kept getting isolated on the slot WR downfield a few seasons ago.

So question- if they kept running the same play, did we keep running the same? If not, wouldn’t it be our players vs Wash?

Colts have a better D than the Jaguars. They dont look like crybabies against the Chiefs

(10-06-2019, 06:12 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: We gonna get destroyed by the saints.   Alvin Kamara is one of the top rbs today,  Bridgewater's confidence is high after a monster game,  Michael Thomas is one of the best wideouts,  Sean peyton is a elite head coach.  Their d is solid.

I actually think it will be a good game. They may be a little complacent/overconfident after winning so much. Our guys are gonna be fired up after losing, and we got them at home. I’m expecting a really close game

The middle of the field in general is the weak point today and the season. Herndon is not Ramsey but if the D-line, LBs and Safeties can’t close the middle it doesn’t matter anyways. I don’t think McCafferey was touched on that long run except maybe a finger. At least Fournette had to break some tackles at Denver

Wash is terrible

(10-06-2019, 09:39 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 08:54 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Reminiscent of the Seattle (?) game when Puz kept getting isolated on the slot WR downfield a few seasons ago.

So question- if they kept running the same play, did we keep running the same? If not, wouldn’t it be our players vs Wash?

I have no idea, maybe NYC or Upper can take a look and tell us. 

Sure felt like they were consistently in terrible spacing which leads me to believe Carolina exploited something schematically. 

In general I also think the defense for a while now has had a problem over-persuing plays and good coordinators exploit that by making them get horizontal.

Defense is just makeshift compared to years past. Not having Ramsey stinks but that isn't why we're getting torched in the running game. This is a linebackers and safeties issue. Myles Jack is a mediocre MLB. Quincy Williams isn't Telvin Smith and Leon Jacobs is raw. Combine that with our unproven and so far unreliable safeties and this is what you get.
No pain, no gain.

As others have pointed out, it's just not the same defense as 2017.

Telvin Smith, Gipson, Ramsey, Poz, say what you want, Poz was a great leader. Malik Jackson, Aaron Colvin, Fowler, Church, Calais is two years older. And I know a handful of guys got replaced by players better or equally as good, but it's still a quite different defense outside of the defensive line.

(10-06-2019, 11:53 PM)Steve Wrote: As others have pointed out, it's just not the same defense as 2017.

Telvin Smith, Gipson, Ramsey, Poz, say what you want, Poz was a great leader. Malik Jackson, Aaron Colvin, Fowler, Church, Calais is two years older. And I know a handful of guys got replaced by players better or equally as good, but it's still a quite different defense outside of the defensive line.

Actually, from a run defense standpoint, it isn't too far off.

It's been mediocre since 2013.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...pid1245737

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

It's time to cut that fat...I mean the bologna
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(10-06-2019, 09:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We miss Gipson as well

We let Gipson walk without finding an adequate replacement for him. Instead, we just promoted a backup. That was a mistake.

The Defense just isn't getting turnovers like they were in 2017. That Defense was a literal turnover machine that year and was a huge reason why they were so great/hard to beat.

They had 17 forced fumbles, with 12 of them recovered by us and 5 of those returned for a TD.

They had 21 INTs, with 2 of them returned for a TD.

55 sacks on the season.

(10-07-2019, 12:38 AM)Eric1 Wrote: The Defense just isn't getting turnovers like they were in 2017. That Defense was a literal turnover machine that year and was a huge reason why they were so great/hard to beat.

They had 17 forced fumbles, with 12 of them recovered by us and 5 of those returned for a TD.

They had 21 INTs, with 2 of them returned for a TD.

55 sacks on the season.

I think part of that was due to keeping teams in unfavorable down and distance situations.

There didn't seem to be as many penalties that negated good plays and let offenses off the hook.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I'm leaning more and more into the idea of letting Dareus go after the season. I was hoping we could restructure him after the season, but he isn't the player he once was and with the $20 million savings we could possibly fill two needs in free agency (CB William Jackson currently of Cincinnati and DT Jordan Phillips currently of Buffalo.)

(10-06-2019, 10:49 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 09:39 PM)Corriewf Wrote: So question- if they kept running the same play, did we keep running the same? If not, wouldn’t it be our players vs Wash?

I have no idea, maybe NYC or Upper can take a look and tell us. 

Sure felt like they were consistently in terrible spacing which leads me to believe Carolina exploited something schematically. 

In general I also think the defense for a while now has had a problem over-persuing plays and good coordinators exploit that by making them get horizontal.

Speaking of... 

“It’s a little bit tighter than outside zone. The back can take an angle and he reads the first guy,” Van Roten explained. “If they over-pursue, which Jacksonville does, there is a big, fact cutback lane.”

https://www.panthers.com/news/they-could...shred-jags

(10-07-2019, 01:02 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 10:49 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I have no idea, maybe NYC or Upper can take a look and tell us. 

Speaking of... 

“It’s a little bit tighter than outside zone. The back can take an angle and he reads the first guy,” Van Roten explained. “If they over-pursue, which Jacksonville does, there is a big, fact cutback lane.”

https://www.panthers.com/news/they-could...shred-jags

Makes you wonder if it’s been the same story in past games, just the Panthers don’t mind sharing their info since they are not playing us again....

Why old we adjust at some point? Jesus! Always seems like the Jags are always suckered by something or another.