Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
James O’Shaughnessy suffered a torn ACL

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Dammit

I'm ready for Oliver to eventually establish himself into the lineup as the receiving threat that we drafted him to be.

Fun while it lasted

Damn. I like O'Shaughnessy. Hes a tough player. I hope this doesn't make us rush Oliver back if he isn't 100%. Swain and DeValve arent ideal but we have to be smart with Oliver.

That's a damn shame man. Last two weeks he and Minshew were starting to connect more and more. As soon as he went down yesterday I genuinely feel it changed their entire offensive approach. Not having a big body like that over the middle will hurt in the long run. Really hope Josh Oliver turns it on quickly. They felt enough confidence in him to invest the 69th overall pick for him back in April.

I will say this though. And I don't think it will be that much of a surprise. But if Philadelphia calls about shipping away Ertz and a 1st RD pick in next year's draft along with a 2 and/or 4 in 2021's draft for Ramsey? That deal might be tempting at this point. If the defense can't get it done without Ramsey on one side of the field. Why not get you a TE that could potentially break the backs of defenses on 3rd down?

We really DO need to get better on 3rd downs offensively. Ertz would be that potential threat over the middle that can work the seams or corners or at least command enough respect to give Chark, Conley and Westbrook some more one on one jump balls if the safety can't sit back freely. Then you get Oliver back? Nice 1-2 punch in the receiving game there for this team.

It's pretty damn tempting.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

O Shag Hennesy did a good job in a pinch. Shame he got hurt.

Oliver should be a superior move TE if we can get him on the field.

I wonder if Charles Jones is healed up? They stashed him on the PS and he was doing the H-Back thing for them in preseason before injury - but his college cut-ups shows decent hands too.

(10-07-2019, 12:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote: That's a damn shame man. Last two weeks he and Minshew were starting to connect more and more. As soon as he went down yesterday I genuinely feel it changed their entire offensive approach. Not having a big body like that over the middle will hurt in the long run. Really hope Josh Oliver turns it on quickly. They felt enough confidence in him to invest the 69th overall pick for him back in April.

I will say this though. And I don't think it will be that much of a surprise. But if Philadelphia calls about shipping away Ertz and a 1st RD pick in next year's draft along with a 2 and/or 4 in 2021's draft for Ramsey? That deal might be tempting at this point. If the defense can't get it done without Ramsey on one side of the field. Why not get you a TE that could potentially break the backs of defenses on 3rd down?

We really DO need to get better on 3rd downs offensively. Ertz would be that potential threat over the middle that can work the seams or corners or at least command enough respect to give Chark, Conley and Westbrook some more one on one jump balls if the safety can't sit back freely. Then you get Oliver back? Nice 1-2 punch in the receiving game there for this team.

It's pretty damn tempting.

I would want to see Oliver play first. If Oliver quickly develops the kind of connection that O'Shaughnessy had with Minshew, we're going to look really silly with two tight ends and no OL or pass defense to show for it. If we're going to take a late 1, a starter and change, I'd rather hold out for a guard or maybe, maybe make Lane Johnson--injury/PED risk and all--the player in that trade instead.

(10-07-2019, 12:16 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Damn. I like O'Shaughnessy. Hes a tough player. I hope this doesn't make us rush Oliver back if he isn't 100%. Swain and DeValve arent ideal but we have to be smart with Oliver.

I haven't liked anything out of Swain nor DeValve. They really do need to consider making a move at this position. I really think the TE position is a key component to Flip's offense.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-07-2019, 12:37 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 12:16 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Damn. I like O'Shaughnessy. Hes a tough player. I hope this doesn't make us rush Oliver back if he isn't 100%. Swain and DeValve arent ideal but we have to be smart with Oliver.

I haven't liked anything out of Swain nor DeValve. They really do need to consider making a move at this position. I really think the TE position is a key component to Flip's offense.

Swaim is being used as an inline blocker and he's not bad at it. 

DeValve is being used as a lead blocking H-Back and he's good at it. 

If you are looking for receiving from them you're barking up the wrong tree. Swaim gets maybe 2 looks per game on dump offs.
DeValve has only run a small handful of routes.

(10-07-2019, 12:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 12:37 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I haven't liked anything out of Swain nor DeValve. They really do need to consider making a move at this position. I really think the TE position is a key component to Flip's offense.

Swaim is being used as an inline blocker and he's not bad at it. 

If you are looking for receiving from them you're barking up the wrong tree. Swaim gets maybe 2 looks per game on dump offs.

That's my concern. They now lack a viable receiving threat at the position. Even with Oliver being healthy they'll have to consider his hamstring injury a potential on going issue this year. They're going to have to start churning the mill here now at the position. Still trying to figure out what the hell happened with that exchange yesterday too. Was it Minshew or DeValve's fault on that fumble?

(10-07-2019, 01:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 12:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Swaim is being used as an inline blocker and he's not bad at it. 

That's my concern. They now lack a viable receiving threat at the position. Even with Oliver being healthy they'll have to consider his hamstring injury a potential on going issue this year. They're going to have to start churning the mill here now at the position. Still trying to figure out what the hell happened with that exchange yesterday too. Was it Minshew or DeValve's fault on that fumble?

No way to know who bungled that play, but I'd guess Minshew forgot there was a lead block coming prior to LF and the intended handoff.  Maybe it is revealed in a presser this week who was on the wrong page. 

The point I'm trying to make is that James O. was not really much of a receiving threat in the first place  (he's slow) - and you may be incorrect in your assumption that there is some great drop-off from him to Swaim / DeValve. You simply haven't seen those guys attempt to play F tight end like J.O. was. They haven't run the routes and had balls come their way. 

Best case scenario is that Oliver gets out there soon and those other two can stay on blacking duty, but Flip may find a way to use them in the pass game until that time.

(10-07-2019, 12:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: O Shag Hennesy did a good job in a pinch. Shame he got hurt.

Oliver should be a superior move TE if we can get him on the field.  

I wonder if Charles Jones is healed up? They stashed him on the PS and he was doing the H-Back thing for them in preseason before injury - but his college cut-ups shows decent hands too.

I’m guessing Charles Jones gets called up soon. I’m looking forward to see what Oliver brings to the table. Hopefully we get a look at him this weekend as he’s been close to returning.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Considering the dude was making less than $1m/year, he made a decent contribution.

(10-07-2019, 01:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 01:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote: That's my concern. They now lack a viable receiving threat at the position. Even with Oliver being healthy they'll have to consider his hamstring injury a potential on going issue this year. They're going to have to start churning the mill here now at the position. Still trying to figure out what the hell happened with that exchange yesterday too. Was it Minshew or DeValve's fault on that fumble?

No way to know who bungled that play, but I'd guess Minshew forgot there was a lead block coming prior to LF and the intended handoff.  Maybe it is revealed in a presser this week who was on the wrong page. 

The point I'm trying to make is that James O. was not really much of a receiving threat in the first place  (he's slow) - and you may be incorrect in your assumption that there is some great drop-off from him to Swaim / DeValve. You simply haven't seen those guys attempt to play F tight end like J.O. was. They haven't run the routes and had balls come their way. 

Best case scenario is that Oliver gets out there soon and those other two can stay on blacking duty, but Flip may find a way to use them in the pass game until that time.

He wasn't the fastest guy. But he was at least moving the chains and finding the end zone. Looked like he was well on his way to having a productive season.  We'll never know now unfortunately. My assumption with Swaim / DeValve is simply based on the fact that they've provided very small samples at everything they've done so far. And if they had any wiggle room or speed to assist in the receiving game to begin with I would have to assume they would have seen more receiving opportunities over the "slow" guy in O'Shaughnessy.

Best case scenario is that Josh Oliver, the guy they invested the 69th overall selection in becomes an all-star or at least registers 2 - 5 catches a game and makes a splash play here and there on third down. I just think they'll regret not addressing it in the interim while it's early. It's a key position to this offense. Flip will get creative with Swaim / DeValve. It's expected now. But it would sure feel a lot better having another legitimate receiving type TE on the team. Just concerned with Oliver's hamstring acting up again after he starts playing.

I don't know about you guys, but I kinda miss Mercedes Lewis. Watching him play as Packer has made me remember that he wasn't always a mediocre TE.

I hope Oliver comes back and plays well soonish but i'm not getting my hopes up. If he's taking this long just to get on teh field i'm not getting my hopes up to believe he's gonna pick up the game exceedingly well in a matter of games.

(10-07-2019, 12:37 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

They haven't shown much so far. Like NYC said, we've been mainly using them for blocking and maybe one or 2 targets.

I seem to remember the Browns using DeValve in the pass game. His big problem has always been staying healthy. 

Just looked at his stats, in 2017 he had 33 catches for 395yds and 1 TD. He played 15 games that season.

Swaim has 12 catches so far this year for 60yds. Last season at Dallas he had 26 catches for 242yds and 1 TD in 9 games.

Not great numbers but they have some experience and can contribute. I just wouldn't want to have to rely on them being 'the guy' for 7-8 weeks.

(10-07-2019, 01:45 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Considering the dude was making less than $1m/year,  he made a decent contribution.

Yep. He was finding the soft spots in the middle of the defense. Good compliment to Chark's ability on the outside and Westbrook's ability to work the sidelines on the out routes. It was a very nice pattern to see offensively as it allowed the offense to work the short - mid & deep game with relative comfort. 

Now they've got to figure out a way to work the middle again. May see more of Lee / Cole being worked in tight to the line of scrimmage. Or they very well could look at Swaim / DeValve in a similar role. Perfect scenario. Josh Oliver turns into Zach Ertz within two weeks. We'll see. I just have a feeling that hamstring injury will creep up again at some point. And they'll need another guy in there to rotate. 

Maybe Jones off the practice squad provides that depth? I don't know. We'll see.

(10-07-2019, 02:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 01:45 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Considering the dude was making less than $1m/year,  he made a decent contribution.

Yep. He was finding the soft spots in the middle of the defense. Good compliment to Chark's ability on the outside and Westbrook's ability to work the sidelines on the out routes. It was a very nice pattern to see offensively as it allowed the offense to work the short - mid & deep game with relative comfort. 

Now they've got to figure out a way to work the middle again. May see more of Lee / Cole being worked in tight to the line of scrimmage. Or they very well could look at Swaim / DeValve in a similar role. Perfect scenario. Josh Oliver turns into Zach Ertz within two weeks. We'll see. I just have a feeling that hamstring injury will creep up again at some point. And they'll need another guy in there to rotate. 

Maybe Jones off the practice squad provides that depth? I don't know. We'll see.
That's a great point. Lee doesn't really have the juice for the outside stuff but he's pretty good down the middle and running in the flat.

The Jags best hope is for Oliver to finally play but even then, it's a 3rd round rookie who has never played in an NFL game.

(10-07-2019, 02:03 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 01:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: No way to know who bungled that play, but I'd guess Minshew forgot there was a lead block coming prior to LF and the intended handoff.  Maybe it is revealed in a presser this week who was on the wrong page. 

He wasn't the fastest guy. But he was at least moving the chains and finding the end zone. Looked like he was well on his way to having a productive season.  We'll never know now unfortunately. My assumption with Swaim / DeValve is simply based on the fact that they've provided very small samples at everything they've done so far. And if they had any wiggle room or speed to assist in the receiving game to begin with I would have to assume they would have seen more receiving opportunities over the "slow" guy in O'Shaughnessy.

Best case scenario is that Josh Oliver, the guy they invested the 69th overall selection in becomes an all-star or at least registers 2 - 5 catches a game and makes a splash play here and there on third down. I just think they'll regret not addressing it in the interim while it's early. It's a key position to this offense. Flip will get creative with Swaim / DeValve. It's expected now. But it would sure feel a lot better having another legitimate receiving type TE on the team. Just concerned with Oliver's hamstring acting up again after he starts playing.

To be clear, I'm calling O'Shaughnessy slow in comparison to other move TEs. Not Y and H guys like Swaim and DeValve. 

The other thing to note about O'Shaughnessy is that nearly half of those catches involved him being schemed open more than him "getting open."  Showing "block" and then leaking into the middle after receivers cleared out the area isn't a great testament to the TE's ability.  I know it sounds like I'm trying to diminish the guy, but I'm not.  Just trying to present some perspective that it may not necessarily be a major loss.  I definitely wish he were not injured and able to go this week, especially with Oliver's hammy dragging on and on.