Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who are our 4 Foundational Players? Do we have enough talent?

2017, we went into the season thinking we were pretty talented, but not AFC Championship Talented. We had Jackson, just signed Calais and Bouye. Ramsey, Jack, Yannick, and Telvin leading the way. Savy NFL veterans in Lewis and Poz. On Offense we had special niche players like Yeldon, Grant, and Hurns.  We even had Cole and Westbrook who were making impressive plays. We had who everyone considered to be the worst starting QB in the NFL. Yet, we still made the championship game and were a missed fumble call away from being in a SB. 

Hell in 2018, we started 3-1

Now, flash forward two years... and it feels like WAY too much of a rapid decline. On defense we lack a true playmaker (looks like Ramsey will probably get his wish and be out of here), On Offense we lack protection on our bookends, we lack a TE of any kind, resigning of Lee was a waste of money, Norwell was a huge waste of money, we are MISSING Yeldon and Grant, and our D looks like they are all Calais' age. If it weren't for Minshew, this season would be very abysmal. 

Are we just a young team? Or has bad FA and unlucky injuries been our misfortune? 
//
Going into the rest of the year, who are the 4 players that can be the foundation of this franchise???: 

Minshew, Chark, Fournette, and ... (Ramsey?, Ngakoue? Jack? Taven Bryan?) 

we don't have very many play makers on either side of the ball and Its showing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Does Josh Allen count?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Josh Allen is going to be an all-star.

Lambo, Minshew, Campbell, and Ramsey

Guys that should stand out as talent to build around moving forward include:

Josh Allen
DJ Chark
Gardner Minshew

A fourth player will have to emerge.  Ngakoue could be that guy if he gets back on track a bit more. 

Outside of that, most of the talent around the roster doesn't seem "foundational" due to either age, contract, position importance or inconsistency.  You could make a case for Fournette, but he's replaceable and probably not worth a big second contract. 

Ramsey would make the list if I thought he'd come to terms on a second contract in Jax - but I don't see the two sides working things out.

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2019, 05:09 PM by Haterade.)

The back and forth offensive struggles was like watching a soccer game. Have little hope in our offensive playmakers and even less in our offensive line

(10-13-2019, 05:08 PM)Haterade Wrote: The back and forth offensive struggles was like watching a soccer game. Have little hope in our offensive playmakers and even less in our offensive line. Time to trade Ramsey and blow it all up again

Team has talent. Coaching, teaching, preparation, practice , culture is what sucks.

I still think we can be successful with Minshew, Fournette, Chark and Westbrook. We just need better protection up front and we desperately need a TE receiving threat. This offense we run, is very dependent on having at least, one good TE. O'Shaughnessy was looking good until he got injured, Oliver might never see the field at this rate and Swaim is now concussed. This could be a big detriment to us going forward. On defense, I really like Allen and Smoot is finally looking like he could take over for Campbell, once he is gone. If we could find a starting FS, depth at CB (assuming Ramsey gets traded), linebacking help and a run stuffing NT, I believe we'd have a complete team. At this point, I think Dareus is all but gone in the off season. His cap number is huge and his play has been hit and miss. I couldn't imagine us letting go of Campbell, but he has gone quiet ever since the Tennessee game and with his cap number, it's easier to see his exit as well, unless he catches fire, very soon. With this cap relief as well as the inevitable release of Norwell, I could see us in a position to add all those pieces we need via free agency, trade and the draft. None of us expected the year to have gone like it has so far, but there have been some good things happening on both sides of the ball. We have talent here, we just need some more, particularly at TE, O-Line, Safety, LB, NT and CB.

it’s a talent issue we have blue chip guys you want to pull for but when a 30+ year old DT is by far your best defensive player playing it’s a talent issue. Despite picking high for the last decade we can’t seem to figure it out
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Yeah, our young foundation is looking a whole lot shakier with Telvin's retiring, Ramsey wanting out, Jack plateauing, Yannick...well I still think Yannick is going to be really good.

If we're really looking at Chark, Minshew, and Fournette as 3 of those pillars then we might as well just hit the reset button.

(10-13-2019, 07:08 PM)EricC85 Wrote: it’s a talent issue we have blue chip guys you want to pull for but when a 30+ year old DT is by far your best defensive player playing it’s a talent issue. Despite picking high for the last decade we can’t seem to figure it out

I think Josh Allen and DJ Chark will best the best players by seasons end.

The next 3 weeks are critical. If we win 2-3, morale can still stay high for the future.

(10-13-2019, 07:35 PM)Newton Wrote: The next 3 weeks are critical. If we win 2-3, morale can still stay high for the future.

I'll never understand how many of y'all can flip your opinion on the long term direction of the franchise every couple of weeks. Why would beating the Bengals and Jets change your opinion on anything?

(10-13-2019, 07:59 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 07:35 PM)Newton Wrote: The next 3 weeks are critical. If we win 2-3, morale can still stay high for the future.

I'll never understand how many of y'all can flip your opinion on the long term direction of the franchise every couple of weeks. Why would beating the Bengals and Jets change your opinion on anything?

I think it's probably more about giving up hope if you don't  beat those teams. 
Not having some surge of confidence by defeating them.

Chark, Minshew, Fournette & Westbrook on offense Allen, Jack, Harrison & Ngakoue on defense. Those are basically your foundation players at the moment.

Need to find a receiving threat at TE. Better overall offensive lineman. Better linebacker play. And they'll need help at CB and FS.

Need to trade Ramsey ASAP. He's a cancer. It'll be a drag shipping him off to a top competitor but if they land a pick in 2020, 2021 and maybe a player that bolsters the offense that's fine by me.

Cap hit for Foles is high. But Minshew needs to take over the next two games. He faced two of the better defenses in back to back weeks. Put the ball on the ground more than once. Had an interception today which looked to be on Chark. Growing pains.

He has to bounce back. 1996 is what I keep seeing. They're winning close games. They're also losing close games. It'll be up and down all year as expected as Minshew faces new schemes.

All in all though. The NFC seems to have more stacked teams this year. It's no surprise they lost these last two games.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2019, 08:35 PM by EricC85.)

I'm as thrilled by Chark as the next guy but lets pump the brakes on thinking he's the next foundation player. Remember when we all thought Cole was going to replace Robinson? WR come and go and the fade fast. Not to mention you don't really build around WR you build around the QB and for now it appears we finally found a QB to build around.

(10-13-2019, 07:23 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 07:08 PM)EricC85 Wrote: it’s a talent issue we have blue chip guys you want to pull for but when a 30+ year old DT is by far your best defensive player playing it’s a talent issue. Despite picking high for the last decade we can’t seem to figure it out

I think Josh Allen and DJ Chark will best the best players by seasons end.

I hope so, we need Allen to be the dominate pass rusher we all imagined when he was drafted. We can't afford to wiff on another high pick pass rusher.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Chark top 5 reciever in league
Fornette top 3 running back in league
Lambo the best kicker in the game
ramsey top 5 cb in the league (when playing) otherwise calais

(10-13-2019, 09:20 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Chark top 5 reciever in league
Fornette top 3 running back in league
Lambo the best kicker in the game
ramsey top 5 cb in the league (when playing) otherwise calais

I've seen a lot of people bring up Lambo. Kickers aren't a foundational center piece to an organization. However, it obviously helps to have an amazing one like Lambo, but its not like we're dishing out tons of cash for Lambo to be the face of our franchise and for him to lead us (albeit Im down for that) 

Ramsey is probably going to be gone, I think we should just begin to accept that. 

IF Minshew is the real deal, then whatever happens this season doesn't matter. BUILD around him. 

Chark, Fournette, (A TE from a Ramsey trade), and Minshew are a strong foundation

on Defense if we have

Allen, Ngakoue, (Draft X), (FA Y) 

We can be in good shape

I like Taven Bryan's potential still as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Minchew
Fournette
Linder
Robinson
Chark
Westbrook

Ramsey
Bouye
Jack
Yannick
Campbell

We have talent. I didn’t like the rhythm of the play calls today. Look at Deshaun Watson and how he’s in a nice steady system, shotgun, fake the handoff...ride the back and read as your putting the ball in his bread basket, and pull up and hit a hot pass. Next play, same type of play but hand it off and pull the end with you.

Next play work some motion in and keep it going. Flip called a bad game in my opinion.