Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should the current Front office regime be removed if missing the playoffs again?
Yes! Time fo get them out of there
No! Just bad luck XXXXinsert whatever excuse hereXXXX
[Show Results]

If the team misses the post season again is it rebuild time?

(10-19-2019, 07:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 08:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We've drafted 2 tackles early and a guard in the middle rounds in 3 years. Why do you fabricate such bull [BLEEP] in your posts?

OT's especially LT, are the most important pieces of any team IMO. If you can't open running lanes and protect the QB, your offense is going nowhere. I believe you MUST find the best of the best, when it comes to OT's. That means using 1st round picks on them. Just look at the NFL. There are 32 teams in the NFL and barely half of them have adequate starting OT's. When you use 2nd rounders on OT's, you are drafting guys who 32 other teams thought weren't good enough to be their OT, even though starting OT's and QB's are the rarest of the rare to find. IMO, that is kind of ignoring the position. Remember who the Jags first draft pick in history was? It was LT Tony Boselli and he was drafted #2 overall. He turned out to be our best draft pick in franchise history. When he was here, we were consistent playoff contenders. We need to get back to that ideology and stop believing we can just draft so-so OT's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

They did that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019, 12:33 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-19-2019, 08:41 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 07:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: OT's especially LT, are the most important pieces of any team IMO. If you can't open running lanes and protect the QB, your offense is going nowhere. I believe you MUST find the best of the best, when it comes to OT's. That means using 1st round picks on them. Just look at the NFL. There are 32 teams in the NFL and barely half of them have adequate starting OT's. When you use 2nd rounders on OT's, you are drafting guys who 32 other teams thought weren't good enough to be their OT, even though starting OT's and QB's are the rarest of the rare to find. IMO, that is kind of ignoring the position. Remember who the Jags first draft pick in history was? It was LT Tony Boselli and he was drafted #2 overall. He turned out to be our best draft pick in franchise history. When he was here, we were consistent playoff contenders. We need to get back to that ideology and stop believing we can just draft so-so OT's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

They did that.

When? Luke Joeckel? That was 6 years ago and for God's sake, he was from Texas A&M. That school does not produce quality OT's. They are scheme oriented players who lack functional strength coming into the NFL. That was just a terrible pick! I was begging for us to take WR DeAndre Hopkins. I was alone, in my thinking, but I had him as a much better prospect than his teammate Sammie Watkins. That was just a pathetically weak OT class and we reached. If nothing else, it proves Caldwell's complete incompetence when it comes to drafting O-Linemen. Given that O-Line is our biggest problem with the team and he's been GM during the drafting or acquisition of every one of our starting O-Linemen, that should tell you that he needs to go. He doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to drafting our most important position. Let some new GM come in and make the picks for O-Line, because Caldwell has failed miserably at it.

(10-20-2019, 12:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 08:41 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: They did that.

When? Luke Joeckel? That was 6 years ago and for God's sake, he was from Texas A&M. That school does not produce quality OT's. They are scheme oriented players who lack functional strength coming into the NFL. That was just a terrible pick! I was begging for us to take WR DeAndre Hopkins. I was alone, in my thinking, but I had him as a much better prospect than his teammate Sammie Watkins. That was just a pathetically weak OT class and we reached. If nothing else, it proves Caldwell's complete incompetence when it comes to drafting O-Linemen. Given that O-Line is our biggest problem with the team and he's been GM during the drafting or acquisition of every one of our starting O-Linemen, that should tell you that he needs to go. He doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to drafting our most important position. Let some new GM come in and make the picks for O-Line, because Caldwell has failed miserably at it.

Gotcha. So when you say they aren't doing something, what you actually mean is they aren't doing it the way you would.

(10-20-2019, 02:01 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 12:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: When? Luke Joeckel? That was 6 years ago and for God's sake, he was from Texas A&M. That school does not produce quality OT's. They are scheme oriented players who lack functional strength coming into the NFL. That was just a terrible pick! I was begging for us to take WR DeAndre Hopkins. I was alone, in my thinking, but I had him as a much better prospect than his teammate Sammie Watkins. That was just a pathetically weak OT class and we reached. If nothing else, it proves Caldwell's complete incompetence when it comes to drafting O-Linemen. Given that O-Line is our biggest problem with the team and he's been GM during the drafting or acquisition of every one of our starting O-Linemen, that should tell you that he needs to go. He doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to drafting our most important position. Let some new GM come in and make the picks for O-Line, because Caldwell has failed miserably at it.

Gotcha. So when you say they aren't doing something, what you actually mean is they aren't doing it the way you would.

How dare them not make every improbable trade down, trade up, draft selection, and FA signing I railed on about for weeks!!!!!  

Off with their heads!

(10-20-2019, 02:01 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 12:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: When? Luke Joeckel? That was 6 years ago and for God's sake, he was from Texas A&M. That school does not produce quality OT's. They are scheme oriented players who lack functional strength coming into the NFL. That was just a terrible pick! I was begging for us to take WR DeAndre Hopkins. I was alone, in my thinking, but I had him as a much better prospect than his teammate Sammie Watkins. That was just a pathetically weak OT class and we reached. If nothing else, it proves Caldwell's complete incompetence when it comes to drafting O-Linemen. Given that O-Line is our biggest problem with the team and he's been GM during the drafting or acquisition of every one of our starting O-Linemen, that should tell you that he needs to go. He doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to drafting our most important position. Let some new GM come in and make the picks for O-Line, because Caldwell has failed miserably at it.

I'm saying they aren't doing their homework and it has shown. If my untrained eye can see these guys are not gonna fit in the NFL, I surely expect NFL personnel to be able to figure that out. Those guys are supposed to be trained to spot these things. I'm also saying that the best O-Linemen are chosen in the first round and there is a steep drop off after the first rounders are taken. As mentioned in the post above, there is a shortage of good OT's in the NFL, because of the way the college game is now played, so you gotta recognize those few guys who have what you are looking for and draft them in round 1, because there is such a drop off after the elite players are taken. If you have needs at OT and QB, you have to use first round picks to fill those needs, because getting a truly good one is such a rarity.

(10-20-2019, 02:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 02:01 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Gotcha. So when you say they aren't doing something, what you actually mean is they aren't doing it the way you would.

I'm saying they aren't doing their homework and it has shown. If my untrained eye can see these guys are not gonna fit in the NFL, I surely expect NFL personnel to be able to figure that out. Those guys are supposed to be trained to spot these things. I'm also saying that the best O-Linemen are chosen in the first round and there is a steep drop off after the first rounders are taken. As mentioned in the post above, there is a shortage of good OT's in the NFL, because of the way the college game is now played, so you gotta recognize those few guys who have what you are looking for and draft them in round 1, because there is such a drop off after the elite players are taken. If you have needs at OT and QB, you have to use first round picks to fill those needs, because getting a truly good one is such a rarity.

You started by saying they weren't spending (high) 1st round picks on O-linemen. 

Now you're twisting that into something entirely different and saying they're aren't picking the right players. 

In regards to the former, it's literally the first thing this regime did. In regards to the latter, that has merit but let's not conflate the two.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019, 09:14 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-20-2019, 02:19 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 02:11 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm saying they aren't doing their homework and it has shown. If my untrained eye can see these guys are not gonna fit in the NFL, I surely expect NFL personnel to be able to figure that out. Those guys are supposed to be trained to spot these things. I'm also saying that the best O-Linemen are chosen in the first round and there is a steep drop off after the first rounders are taken. As mentioned in the post above, there is a shortage of good OT's in the NFL, because of the way the college game is now played, so you gotta recognize those few guys who have what you are looking for and draft them in round 1, because there is such a drop off after the elite players are taken. If you have needs at OT and QB, you have to use first round picks to fill those needs, because getting a truly good one is such a rarity.

You started by saying they weren't spending (high) 1st round picks on O-linemen. 

Now you're twisting that into something entirely different and saying they're aren't picking the right players. 

In regards to the former, it's literally the first thing this regime did. In regards to the latter, that has merit but let's not conflate the two.

1. Exactly. They aren't.

2. I'm saying they aren't spending the time to find the right players, because they are waiting to draft OT's in the 2nd round, that other teams didn't want. It's the exact same concept as not spending first rounders on good O-Linemen. I think that is pretty clear. 

3. Yes and because they failed once (Joeckel), they gave up. It's the same that they did for QB. They spent first rounders on Byron Leftwich, Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles, but because we missed on those picks, many people seemed like they never want to spend a first rounder on QB ever again. That's not how it works. The fact is, most good LT's and QB's come out of round 1. Just because you miss on some draft picks at those positions in the first round in past drafts, doesn't mean you should give up. It simply means you get better at scouting those positions and try again. Most premier starting OT's are first round picks. Period. We know drafting OT's in round 2 isn't working, so sometimes you have to recognize a problem and fix it. You play the odds and keep trying until you finally hit.

(10-20-2019, 09:14 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 02:19 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: You started by saying they weren't spending (high) 1st round picks on O-linemen. 

1. Exactly. They aren't.

2. I'm saying they aren't spending the time to find the right players, because they are waiting to draft OT's in the 2nd round, that other teams didn't want. It's the exact same concept as not spending first rounders on good O-Linemen. I think that is pretty clear. 

3. Yes and because they failed once (Joeckel), they gave up. It's the same that they did for QB. They spent first rounders on Byron Leftwich, Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles, but because we missed on those picks, many people seemed like they never want to spend a first rounder on QB ever again. That's not how it works. The fact is, most good LT's and QB's come out of round 1. Just because you miss on some draft picks at those positions in the first round in past drafts, doesn't mean you should give up. It simply means you get better at scouting those positions and try again. Most premier starting OT's are first round picks. Period. We know drafting OT's in round 2 isn't working, so sometimes you have to recognize a problem and fix it. You play the odds and keep trying until you finally hit.

That's a lot of unconnected dots you're connecting there. 

(Not to mention the fact that Robinson and Taylor were both top five tackle prospects on nearly every prospect ranking you could find.)

Then there's the fact that every analyst I've heard talk about Taylor says he's going to be a stud right tackle when he cleans up a few things. And watching him play, I think they're probably right.

(10-20-2019, 09:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 09:14 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: 1. Exactly. They aren't.

(Not to mention the fact that Robinson and Taylor were both top five tackle prospects on nearly every prospect ranking you could find.)

Then there's the fact that every analyst I've heard talk about Taylor says he's going to be a stud right tackle when he cleans up a few things. And watching him play, I think they're probably right.

Look, he knew those tackles we drafted were awful, just ask him. Or dont and he'll tell you anyway.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019, 11:12 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-20-2019, 09:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

It's been said by many posters on this board. They wanted to sign Foles over drafting a first round QB, because they said we missed too many times on first round QB's. That pretty much connects the dots. 

Taylor has been giving up sacks like crazy this season. He better get A LOT better very quickly or he is gonna have a very short NFL career.

(10-20-2019, 02:19 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: You started by saying they weren't spending (high) 1st round picks on O-linemen. 

1. Exactly. They aren't.

I'd like to debunk your false belief that not taking 1st round linemen is a problem. Taking Athlon Sports' 2019 ranking of the top 10 offensive tackles in the NFL shows that half were not 1st rounders, and 4 of the 1st 5 weren't (and the 1 exception was the last pick of the 1st round). The grid below shows ranking and draft position. I included draft team even though several have moved on to other teams.

Name               Draft Team      Round Pick
David Bakhtari         GB                 4th
Mitchell Schwartz     Cle                 2nd
Andrew Whitworth   Cin                 2nd
Ryan Ramczyk         NO                1st 32nd pick
Terron Armstead      NO                 3rd
Lane Johnson          Phi                1 4th pick
Tyron Smith            Dal                1 9th
Joe Staley               SF                 1 28th
Taylor Lewan          Ten                1 11th
Jason Peters           Buf                UDFA

Source: https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-offensi...n-rankings

And for diety's sake, Taylor has played 6 games. Sheesh.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019, 12:00 PM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

Not in favor of cutting specfici players per se, but Marrone, Wash, Caldwell, and Coughlin need to go. Let a new coaching staff decide who needs to stay or go, because our current staff is incompetent. We've been working on a rebuild since Caldwell took over. Years later, we're still talking about the need for another rebuild.

(10-19-2019, 07:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 08:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We've drafted 2 tackles early and a guard in the middle rounds in 3 years. Why do you fabricate such bull [BLEEP] in your posts?

OT's especially LT, are the most important pieces of any team IMO. If you can't open running lanes and protect the QB, your offense is going nowhere. I believe you MUST find the best of the best, when it comes to OT's. That means using 1st round picks on them. Just look at the NFL. There are 32 teams in the NFL and barely half of them have adequate starting OT's. When you use 2nd rounders on OT's, you are drafting guys who 32 other teams thought weren't good enough to be their OT, even though starting OT's and QB's are the rarest of the rare to find. IMO, that is kind of ignoring the position. Remember who the Jags first draft pick in history was? It was LT Tony Boselli and he was drafted #2 overall. He turned out to be our best draft pick in franchise history. When he was here, we were consistent playoff contenders. We need to get back to that ideology and stop believing we can just draft so-so OT's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
2nd round and later is fine i hear.  Dont pick the 1st round talent thats actually a first rounder, draft the one that falls and say we tried.  This MB is hilarious.  I cant believe anyone complains with the logic they use to justify the picks they go on to later whine about.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(10-20-2019, 01:35 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 07:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: OT's especially LT, are the most important pieces of any team IMO. If you can't open running lanes and protect the QB, your offense is going nowhere. I believe you MUST find the best of the best, when it comes to OT's. That means using 1st round picks on them. Just look at the NFL. There are 32 teams in the NFL and barely half of them have adequate starting OT's. When you use 2nd rounders on OT's, you are drafting guys who 32 other teams thought weren't good enough to be their OT, even though starting OT's and QB's are the rarest of the rare to find. IMO, that is kind of ignoring the position. Remember who the Jags first draft pick in history was? It was LT Tony Boselli and he was drafted #2 overall. He turned out to be our best draft pick in franchise history. When he was here, we were consistent playoff contenders. We need to get back to that ideology and stop believing we can just draft so-so OT's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
2nd round and later is fine i hear.  Dont pick the 1st round talent thats actually a first rounder, draft the one that falls and say we tried.  This MB is hilarious.  I cant believe anyone complains with the logic they use to justify the picks they go on to later whine about.

I know the actual facts presented above are beyond your comprehension, so I'll just laugh derisively in your general direction.

1. Exactly. They aren't.

Okay man. If you don't understand the difference we'll stop here.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019, 06:17 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-20-2019, 11:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I'd like to debunk your false belief that not taking 1st round linemen is a problem. Taking Athlon Sports' 2019 ranking of the top 10 offensive tackles in the NFL shows that half were not 1st rounders, and 4 of the 1st 5 weren't (and the 1 exception was the last pick of the 1st round). The grid below shows ranking and draft position. I included draft team even though several have moved on to other teams.

You're kidding? Right? Mitchell Schwartz? Ask Cleveland fans how good he is. How did he get on this list?

I see a bunch of first rounders right there. Ramczyk, Johnson, Smith, Staley and Lewan. That's 5 of 10. So using your list, 50% of the top 10 OT's came in round 1. That sounds like we should start using first round picks on OT's. You use high first round picks on OT's if you can, but you definitely use first round picks high or low on OT's. The list right there, says it all.

(10-20-2019, 06:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 11:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'd like to debunk your false belief that not taking 1st round linemen is a problem. Taking Athlon Sports' 2019 ranking of the top 10 offensive tackles in the NFL shows that half were not 1st rounders, and 4 of the 1st 5 weren't (and the 1 exception was the last pick of the 1st round). The grid below shows ranking and draft position. I included draft team even though several have moved on to other teams.

You're kidding? Right? Mitchell Schwartz? Ask Cleveland fans how good he is. How did he get on this list?

I see a bunch of first rounders right there. Ramczyk, Johnson, Smith, Staley and Lewan. That's 5 of 10. So using your list, 50% of the top 10 OT's came in round 1. That sounds like we should start using first round picks on OT's. You use high first round picks on OT's if you can, but you definitely use first round picks high or low on OT's. The list right there, says it all.

7 of 10 taken after pick 28. You got nothin'.

(10-20-2019, 06:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 11:40 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'd like to debunk your false belief that not taking 1st round linemen is a problem. Taking Athlon Sports' 2019 ranking of the top 10 offensive tackles in the NFL shows that half were not 1st rounders, and 4 of the 1st 5 weren't (and the 1 exception was the last pick of the 1st round). The grid below shows ranking and draft position. I included draft team even though several have moved on to other teams.

In the last few years which 1st round tackles should we have taken with our 1st round picks?

(10-20-2019, 03:18 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

Okay man. If you don't understand the difference we'll stop here.

You don't always have high first round picks. You use high first round picks on OT's, if you can, but your not always in a position to have high first round picks. I thought this was common sense. You should always use first rounders (high or low) to find starting OT's, no matter where you are picking in round 1. That's where you normally find the best ones.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019, 06:31 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-20-2019, 06:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 06:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You're kidding? Right? Mitchell Schwartz? Ask Cleveland fans how good he is. How did he get on this list?

In the last few years which 1st round tackles should we have taken with our 1st round picks?

I know I'm gonna get torched for this, but when we drafted Leonard Fournette, I was screaming to take Ryan Ramczyk. I thought he was the best OT in the draft. Granted, I would've passed over 2 franchise QB's in the process (which in hindsight was stupid), but at least I would've filled a hole at OT. I always believed you fix the O-Line first and then draft RB's.I also would've taken Will Hernandez over Taven Bryan as most of the board would have.