Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Expect changes in the next CBA to keep the NFL from becoming the NBA

I can't see how the league allows players to clown the Shield like they have recently.

Antonio Brown, Jalen Ramsey...

Now whispers of Cordy Glenn pouting to try to get his own in kind trade/release.

I wouldn't be surprised if the league doesn't implement rules/restrictions/penalties that make it harder for players to force their own destiny after signing contracts.

I get both sides of the argument.  I get that players can be cut and teams not "honor" their side of the deal.  But I just don't see the league sitting on this issue and letting things go the way they've gone recently.  That's why I feel it could become a real point of contention between the two sides should it become a hot issue (and I feel it should.)

Otherwise, the no fun league is going to really become the no fun league for real if things were to keep going in the current direction.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well looking at the whole NBA/China issue, that NBA money may be going again.

I agree, I see both the players and teams perspective. I hate that money can override everything else when it comes to sport but thats the modern world. I was reading a report the other day about how much the NFL makes having TNF, that's not going anywhere.

Seems to be a fair amount of talk of getting rid of preseason altogether and adding 2 more playoff teams. Players want less games, owners want more, so we lose preseason for 2 more playoff games. I think its going to be a lot of compromises like that.

The only way to keep the Jalen thing from happening is having 3rd party medical people act as arbitrators when a player is playing up or faking an injury.
Team doctors have already shown to side too much with the team (Williams in DC comes to mind quickly)

But I agree, they should do something about it.
Let them smoke pot (if medically prescribed), extend season to 17 games, give them another whatever% of money, fully guarantee contracts, protect teams from crybabies.

Whether these things actually get done remains to be seen but the NFL will have to give big if they want 17 games and want protections from players forcing trades.
Currently they have the whole "conduct detrimental" thing but it's pretty vague and becomes a fight all its own and then the team would have to prove the injury is fake or whatever.

I'm glad I don't have to figure it out.

(10-18-2019, 12:24 PM)Kane Wrote: The only way to keep the Jalen thing from happening is having 3rd party medical people act as arbitrators when a player is playing up or faking an injury.
Team doctors have already shown to side too much with the team (Williams in DC comes to mind quickly)

Let them smoke pot (if medically prescribed), extend season to 17 games, give them another whatever% of money, fully guarantee contracts, protect teams from crybabies.

Whether these things actually get done remains to be seen but the NFL will have to give big if they want 17 games and want protections from players forcing trades.
Currently they have the whole "conduct detrimental" thing but it's pretty vague and becomes a fight all its own and then the team would have to prove the injury is fake or whatever.

They can already smoke pot all year. All they have to do is stop for a few weeks during the 1 time a year they are tested. Only stupid addicts are failing drug tests now.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

It'll never be like the NBA. NBA is how it is because there are very few superstars in the league and when two get together their chances of success are pretty damn good. They just need some surrounding pieces around. In the NFL with the way the salary cap is, too many superstars on your team and your team is completely screwed. This game is literally all about the QB. You have a good one, you win. Jalen is a quitter no doubt, but he was tired of the losing and wanted out. Whatever dude, peace. Once we get a franchise QB in place and start winning games consistently, watch how many players end up wanting to leave.

It'll catch up to players like Ramsey in the long run. Players know he quit and faked an injury. Eventually that'll police itself out. In an NFL locker room, where this is truly the best team sport there is out there... players like that won't last very long. Now if it had truly been all about the money, then players have a right to not play for their employer until they get the contract. One major injury and their value is shattered. I'm fine with that. They got to get it while they can. Faking an injury midseason, I mean... the only reason it worked out for Jalen is because he is an unbelievable talent. Most teams would look down on that, but he gets a "pass". I honestly can't see this becoming a thing where players start consistently faking injuries to get their way.

What do you think of Osemele taking his health into his own hands (like all players should)?

Player empowerment era gone too far?

The NFL needs to make some significant concessions too in that case. It's pretty wild that a player/human being can go from making their college choice at 17 to not having authority over another professional decision they make for damn near a full decade.

5th year options and franchise tags are awful for the players. I think getting rid of those would smooth things over quite a bit.

(10-19-2019, 10:01 AM)Upper Wrote: The NFL needs to make some significant concessions too in that case. It's pretty wild that a player/human being can go from making their college choice at 17 to not having authority over another professional decision they make for damn near a full decade.

5th year options and franchise tags are awful for the players. I think getting rid of those would smooth things over quite a bit.

The thing is that a 17 year old child certainly can make a decision (with parent consent) regarding where they go to school.  A potential 21/22 year old  "college educated" "adult" should be capable of reading and understanding a contract when they sign it.  If it includes the possibility of a 5th year option or franchise tag they do have the option to not sign the contract.

No need to coddle the snowflakes.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Proposed:

Player can cite irreconcilable differences with their team, and request a trade. In exchange for this request, the player must repay to the team all prorated signing bonus money amortized on the contract, which removes any dead money hit from the team. The team may then trade the player to another team, and the player is required to play out the duration of the remaining contract without renegotiation. Once the contract expires, the player is free to negotiate a new deal as a free agent with that or any other team.

So, you can leave, you just have to pay back a chunk of change and agree to play for (likely) peanuts comparatively when you switch teams. In essence, how bad do you want it?

I don't like that the contracted team has to eat a loss when someone pitches a fit.

(10-18-2019, 04:47 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 12:24 PM)Kane Wrote: The only way to keep the Jalen thing from happening is having 3rd party medical people act as arbitrators when a player is playing up or faking an injury.

They can already smoke pot all year. All they have to do is stop for a few weeks during the 1 time a year they are tested. Only stupid addicts are failing drug tests now.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Well this is true. But really, the NFL should lax it's official stance on it.

(10-19-2019, 03:16 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:   A potential 21/22 year old  "college educated" "adult" should be capable of reading and understanding a contract when they sign it.  

^ Lol!

I completely agree with you here; "a college educated adult" should be able to read/understand/make decisions.

Honestly though, not many of these "star" football players in college actually do much academic work, if even going to class. 

He can intercept, cover, run 4.3, and score TDs baby!! Bring that school the big $$$! No nees for class.

I have a ton of respect for the star players that actually  do EARN academic degrees while putting a ton of time into their athletic career. 

Sadly though, most do not.

(10-22-2019, 12:43 PM)jagherd Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 03:16 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:   A potential 21/22 year old  "college educated" "adult" should be capable of reading and understanding a contract when they sign it.  

^ Lol!

I completely agree with you here; "a college educated adult" should be able to read/understand/make decisions.

Honestly though, not many of these "star" football players in college actually do much academic work, if even going to class. 

He can intercept, cover, run 4.3, and score TDs baby!! Bring that school the big $$$! No nees for class.

I have a ton of respect for the star players that actually  do EARN academic degrees while putting a ton of time into their athletic career. 

Sadly though, most do not.

Yeah... most of them major in basket weaving social studies or exploratory lol

And many don't finish, they are early entries as rs sops or jrs
Because they aren't going for the education, they are going for the NFL