Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could Tony Khan replace Tom Coughlin?

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/10/17...ont-office

Interesting article with some valid points. I do believe Coughlin has one foot out the door with the whole Ramsey situation. Anytime the owner has to jump in to try to solve an issue that the EVP couldn’t handle, it’s not a good look. Couple that with the “playoffs or bust” mandate set by Shad Khan in the offseason and the picture becomes more clear. With that said could Tony be the heir apparent to replace Coughlin? It certainly seems he is being groomed for a larger role as he is currently the EVP of football administration and technology (analytics) and he’s been front man in identifying prospects from the UDFA pool.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I hope not. He has no real football knowledge. And I’m not nearly as sure Tom or Dave or Doug are gone at the end of the year like many believe/hope. This management team seems headed in the right direction. And from an objective point of view, the Ramsey situation was on no one but Ramsey. And that’s regardless of all the people who are in their feelings about the mean old man chewing out the brash young man. I think Sexton is right on this one. This was the plan of Jaylen and his agent from the get go.

If the rest of this season plays out reasonably well I see the current administration staying in place. If it becomes a dumpster fire then all bets are off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019, 02:32 PM by knarnn.)

(10-18-2019, 02:23 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I hope not. He has no real football knowledge.  And I’m not nearly as sure Tom or Dave or Doug are gone at the end of the year like many believe/hope.  This management team seems headed in the right direction.  And from an objective point of view, the Ramsey situation was on no one but Ramsey. And that’s regardless of all the people who are in their feelings about the mean old man chewing out the brash young man. I think Sexton is right on this one. This was the plan of Jaylen and his agent from the get go.

If the rest of this season plays out reasonably well I see the current administration staying in place. If it becomes a dumpster fire then all bets are off.

Ah but he does:

https://www.espn.com.au/blog/jacksonvill...-tony-khan

While I agree Ramsey was the root cause of the drama, I feel it could have been handled better. Even though Ramsey should’ve taken his butt chewing like a man as it was well deserved, Coughlin has no business overstepping Marrone in the locker room. Couple that with remaining anonymous during the entire saga and leaving Marrone out to dry in front of the media after Khan has to drop whatever he’s doing to try to clean up the mess just compounds the issue. If the team does not make the playoffs, I wouldn’t be surprised to see sweeping changes across the board, starting with Coughlin.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Tony khan doesn’t know a lick about football, he has proven nothing. He’s only relevant because of his father. Situations like those almost always end horribly, let’s not subject ourselves to that please.

Oh yay! Daniel Snyder for our home town team!!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-18-2019, 02:23 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I hope not.  He has no real football knowledge.  And I’m not nearly as sure Tom or Dave or Doug are gone at the end of the year like many believe/hope.  This management team seems headed in the right direction.  And from an objective point of view, the Ramsey situation was on no one but Ramsey. And that’s regardless of all the people who are in their feelings about the mean old man chewing out the brash young man. I think Sexton is right on this one. This was the plan of Jaylen and his agent from the get go.

This management group is 4-16 in their last 20. What about that makes it seem like they are headed in the right direction?

Purely as EVP, sure why not. He wouldn't cower behind the scenes like Coughlin has and only stick his head up to criticize his players. As long as he hired the right people and didn't meddle in their roles, I think he'd be just fine.

(10-18-2019, 02:34 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Tony khan doesn’t know a lick about football, he has proven nothing. He’s only relevant because of his father. Situations like those almost always end horribly, let’s not subject ourselves to that please.

No kidding.  Simply asinine even to consider.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019, 03:19 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Naw, outside of the Bortles extension Tom has done a good job. I think we start going on a win streak

(10-18-2019, 02:34 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Tony khan doesn’t know a lick about football, he has proven nothing. He’s only relevant because of his father. Situations like those almost always end horribly, let’s not subject ourselves to that please.

I agree with this as well

Well ... our situation here right now is so weird. We basically have 2 GM's with Coughlin having the "say" over roster moves over Caldwell. We need to stop that crap and just let the GM do his job and stop this double management BS. I swear I think we are the only team in the league with this structure. If the GM is making roster decisions and Khan is EVP doing behind scenes work... why the hell not?

Honestly it will be the London Monarchs if this happens.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

none of us know the actual power structure.

Winning cures all. Many methods to the madness and mayhem in all professional sports. But all of it means [BLEEP] all if you can't win games. If it's just madness and mayhem leading to crossroads and losses? It's off to the chopping block of course.

I don't know enough about Tony Khan to say he can or cannot get it done. I don't know enough about Shad Khan's views right now with Tom Coughlin and David Caldwell to comfortably say those guys are safe. And rightfully so. Legacy aside. It's still a business at the end of the day. Decisions will be made. For better or worse.

All I care about is seeing them win.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Thought he was deep in the wrestling thing.....oh and the Fulham SC too.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Not sure why some here is so quick to proclaim he knows nothing about football.

Sure. All this Franchise needs is to be irrelevant for the next 5 years...again...

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019, 05:04 PM by I am Yoda.)

(10-18-2019, 02:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 02:23 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I hope not.  He has no real football knowledge.  And I’m not nearly as sure Tom or Dave or Doug are gone at the end of the year like many believe/hope.  This management team seems headed in the right direction.  And from an objective point of view, the Ramsey situation was on no one but Ramsey. And that’s regardless of all the people who are in their feelings about the mean old man chewing out the brash young man. I think Sexton is right on this one. This was the plan of Jaylen and his agent from the get go.

This management group is 4-16 in their last 20. What about that makes it seem like they are headed in the right direction?

In fairness, they cannot be judged on last season due to injuries.  Just too much for anyone to overcome.  This year the quality of play has been palpably, observably better.  Our qb situation is fixed.  We have two competent quarterbacks.  We haven't been able to say that since peak Brunell days.  The draft picks from the last three drafts are developing and, mostly, contributing.  The quality of the wins and losses this year are much better than the recent past.  Marrone and company have done a good job of keeping the players together and focused during The Quitter drama.  We finally have a competent OC.  If they can continue the trend of improving each week AND can put together good games by both the defense and the offense on the same Sunday, we will compete for the division crown this year.  That is real progress!  We know what real mediocrity is and what we have now is not that.  We have every reason to be patient enough to watch the next 10 games and draw our conclusions afterwards.

And, no.  I am not of the mind to fire Tom, Dave, and/or Doug on the basis of mistakes from prior years.  If they should have been fired for those, the time to do that was at the end of those years.  The criteria must be that we are showing sufficient improvement from where we were at the end of the 2018 season.
Fix the O-Line!

(10-18-2019, 05:03 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 02:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: This management group is 4-16 in their last 20. What about that makes it seem like they are headed in the right direction?

In fairness, they cannot be judged on last season due to injuries.  Just too much for anyone to overcome.  This year the quality of play has been palpably, observably better.  Our qb situation is fixed.  We have two competent quarterbacks.  We haven't been able to say that since peak Brunell days.  The draft picks from the last three drafts are developing and, mostly, contributing.  The quality of the wins and losses this year are much better than the recent past.  Marrone and company have done a good job of keeping the players together and focused during The Quitter drama.  We finally have a competent OC.  If they can continue the trend of improving each week AND can put together good games by both the defense and the offense on the same Sunday, we will compete for the division crown this year.  That is real progress!  We know what real mediocrity is and what we have now is not that.  We have every reason to be patient enough to watch the next 10 games and draw our conclusions afterwards.

And, no.  I am not of the mind to fire Tom, Dave, and/or Doug on the basis of mistakes from prior years.  If they should have been fired for those, the time to do that was at the end of those years.  The criteria must be that we are showing sufficient improvement from where we were at the end of the 2018 season.
Sounds like Minshew mania or bust then.  If the 6th round miracle can continue on then they are here.  If not then they are gone and we have nick 88 million foles to make magic with a new staff while eating up cap space.  Good thing tho, we have 2 first in each of the next 2 drafts to draft a replacement.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(10-18-2019, 04:50 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Not sure why some here is so quick to proclaim he knows nothing about football.

He is a trust fund baby who’s father is originally from Pakistan and created his empire through the auto industry. There is no history of football knowledge in his family tree at all. He has no coaching or playing experience.

(10-18-2019, 05:33 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 05:03 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: In fairness, they cannot be judged on last season due to injuries.  Just too much for anyone to overcome.  This year the quality of play has been palpably, observably better.  Our qb situation is fixed.  We have two competent quarterbacks.  We haven't been able to say that since peak Brunell days.  The draft picks from the last three drafts are developing and, mostly, contributing.  The quality of the wins and losses this year are much better than the recent past.  Marrone and company have done a good job of keeping the players together and focused during The Quitter drama.  We finally have a competent OC.  If they can continue the trend of improving each week AND can put together good games by both the defense and the offense on the same Sunday, we will compete for the division crown this year.  That is real progress!  We know what real mediocrity is and what we have now is not that.  We have every reason to be patient enough to watch the next 10 games and draw our conclusions afterwards.

Sounds like Minshew mania or bust then.  If the 6th round miracle can continue on then they are here.  If not then they are gone and we have nick 88 million foles to make magic with a new staff while eating up cap space.  Good thing tho, we have 2 first in each of the next 2 drafts to draft a replacement.

It's not Minshew mania even though I think he can eventually be a top 15 starter in the league.  Foles ain't yesterday's garbage.  If he returns to starting this year, we are fine at qb.  It really is win/win.
Fix the O-Line!