Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could Tony Khan replace Tom Coughlin?

I hope not. Tony Khan can't even get his soccer team to win games.

Stick with the guy who knows what he's doing and got the Jags to the AFCC is his very first season back. 
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2019, 05:49 PM by enigma.)

(10-18-2019, 05:38 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 04:50 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Not sure why some here is so quick to proclaim he knows nothing about football.

He is a trust fund baby who’s father is originally from Pakistan and created his empire through the auto industry. There is no history of football knowledge in his family tree at all. He has no coaching or playing experience.

And......?

I'd trust someone in his position more to being able to learn, adapt, and grow.

If your point was credible, all 32 teams would be hot on the trail for tracking the Madden genes being passed down through generations at the local fertility clinic.

(10-18-2019, 05:38 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 04:50 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Not sure why some here is so quick to proclaim he knows nothing about football.

He is a trust fund baby who’s father is originally from Pakistan and created his empire through the auto industry. There is no history of football knowledge in his family tree at all. He has no coaching or playing experience.

And Shad didn't know anything about the auto industry before he created that empire.

(10-18-2019, 08:18 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 05:38 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: He is a trust fund baby who’s father is originally from Pakistan and created his empire through the auto industry. There is no history of football knowledge in his family tree at all. He has no coaching or playing experience.

And Shad didn't know anything about the auto industry before he created that empire.

Shad didn’t inherit a billion dollar franchise, and he didn’t learn The auto industry from a penthouse suite.

Hard pass on Tony Khan being the next overlord.

Not sold on the Khans collective football knowledge, not sold on Tony as a sports executive and would much rather a seperation of ownership and front office.

Brand new FO please and thanks, let's get cooking with some of the best draft capital in football.

(10-18-2019, 05:38 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:

Ah, so good old xenophobia.

(10-18-2019, 02:03 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/10/17...ont-office

Interesting article with some valid points. I do believe Coughlin has one foot out the door with the whole Ramsey situation. Anytime the owner has to jump in to try to solve an issue that the EVP couldn’t handle, it’s not a good look. Couple that with the “playoffs or bust” mandate set by Shad Khan in the offseason and the picture becomes more clear. With that said could Tony be the heir apparent to replace Coughlin? It certainly seems he is being groomed for a larger role as he is currently the EVP of football administration and technology (analytics) and he’s been front man in identifying prospects from the UDFA pool.

It's extremely easy as an fan to gesture and wish for such movements within the establishment. Tony Khan's next move will be the owner of the Jaguars, nothing less. He's being groomed for that and that only. Shad has strategically placed all of his kids in positions of power throughout all of his businesses. 

Just as Shad is wise to attain and allow the professionals to do their jobs, Tony would be wise to do the same. Also, Mr. Khan understands the turmoil to which his team has already endured this season and it wouldn't be wise to hold Coughlin accountable for Ramsey's pouting, Smith's absence, Allen's and or for NF7's injury. It should never work that way.

Even though some of us fans has a tendency to take things personal, it's not that serious. Coughlin should stay in place until he's Truly No Longer Fit to do his job.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Say NO to nepotism

I think Tony has enough on his plate and I don't think he's next in line for that job.

I also think he's probably learned more about football working in the Jags offices the past several years than most of the folks saying he doesn't know football combined. The "article" is a stab in the dark at best.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2019, 09:15 AM by The Real Marty.)

I think Tony would be fine, because I consider the job of "Vice President of Football Operations" to be mainly a position that allows the owner to take a step back.  Most organizations have owner-GM-HC structure.  But some owners cannot spend enough time on the football side to fully observe things.  Shad Khan, for example, has a $7 billion business empire to run.   In my opinion, that's why he created the position "VP of Football Ops" and selected TC to be that person.  Khan wanted a surrogate.  He didn't have the time available to devote to supervising Dave and Doug and determining whether they are doing their jobs the way he wants them to, when he has to be all over the world running his business.  So he got TC to do it for him.  

The problem with TC, if there is one, is that he might be a little too hands-on: being on the practice field, cussing out Jalen Ramsey, etc.   Tony Khan might actually be a better fit for that position.   Because he would be observing and not telling everyone what to do.  Tony's a bright guy, he loves this team and he loves this city, and he's been around the franchise long enough to know how things are supposed to work.  So I wouldn't think it's a bad idea at all.

(10-19-2019, 09:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think Tony would be fine, because I consider the job of "Vice President of Football Operations" to be mainly a position that allows the owner to take a step back.  Most organizations have owner-GM-HC structure.  But some owners cannot spend enough time on the football side to fully observe things.  Shad Khan, for example, has a $7 billion business empire to run.   In my opinion, that's why he created the position "VP of Football Ops" and selected TC to be that person.  Khan wanted a surrogate.  He didn't have the time available to devote to supervising Dave and Doug and determining whether they are doing their jobs the way he wants them to, when he has to be all over the world running his business.  So he got TC to do it for him.  

The problem with TC, if there is one, is that he might be a little too hands-on: being on the practice field, cussing out Jalen Ramsey, etc.   Tony Khan might actually be a better fit for that position.   Because he would be observing and not telling everyone what to do.  Tony's a bright guy, he loves this team and he loves this city, and he's been around the franchise long enough to know how things are supposed to work.  So I wouldn't think it's a bad idea at all.

Now we've gone to saying that Coughlin cussed out Ramsey, hmm?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2019, 01:13 PM by jaglyn.)

Would be ok with TK managing the ownership, or the marketing aspect of the Jags, as long as it's not the football or personnel related stuff.'

There's a bigger pool of people out there with tons of experience to handle the GM/Operations side, so he would never be the safe choice. Unless Khan has some crazy, football/talent evaluating gift, which would make him 1% of the 1%

Interesting thought, it wouldn't be impossible for him to eventually get there, but not right now

(10-19-2019, 09:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think Tony would be fine, because I consider the job of "Vice President of Football Operations" to be mainly a position that allows the owner to take a step back.  Most organizations have owner-GM-HC structure.  But some owners cannot spend enough time on the football side to fully observe things.  Shad Khan, for example, has a $7 billion business empire to run.   In my opinion, that's why he created the position "VP of Football Ops" and selected TC to be that person.  Khan wanted a surrogate.  He didn't have the time available to devote to supervising Dave and Doug and determining whether they are doing their jobs the way he wants them to, when he has to be all over the world running his business.  So he got TC to do it for him.  

Yep this would be fine, it's not fine if he has say over the GM and football moves other than to when a move has PR concerns.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

No.

He could not.

IF Tom Coughlin leaves the team I imagine that there won't be anyone else filling his role.  IIRC the position was created when he was hired.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-19-2019, 12:48 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 09:14 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think Tony would be fine, because I consider the job of "Vice President of Football Operations" to be mainly a position that allows the owner to take a step back.  Most organizations have owner-GM-HC structure.  But some owners cannot spend enough time on the football side to fully observe things.  Shad Khan, for example, has a $7 billion business empire to run.   In my opinion, that's why he created the position "VP of Football Ops" and selected TC to be that person.  Khan wanted a surrogate.  He didn't have the time available to devote to supervising Dave and Doug and determining whether they are doing their jobs the way he wants them to, when he has to be all over the world running his business.  So he got TC to do it for him.  

Now we've gone to saying that Coughlin cussed out Ramsey, hmm?

I admit that I do not know that, but I think it's a safe assumption, based on subsequent events.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2019, 05:31 PM by The Real Marty.)

Let me be clear.  I do NOT want ANYONE to do what TC has apparently been doing.   I think there should be a GM who makes personnel decisions, and a coach who coaches.  The EVP of Football Ops should simply be the eyes and ears of an owner who cannot be on hand every day and see what is going on.  

So I am NOT saying Tony Khan should be TC's replacement, because I don't think TC should be doing what he has been described as doing.  I don't want the EVP stirring the pot with coaching or personnel.  He should stay out of it.  Too many cooks!  

I think if TC goes, Tony Khan could be named EVP of Football Ops but the role should be strictly defined as hands off.  Just be the owner's eyes and ears.  That could be a tremendous help to an owner who is very very busy making gobs and gobs of money selling bumpers.

By all accounts, Tony is a very smart guy who loves the team and loves Jacksonville.  He's been involved with the team since his father bought it, and no doubt he's learned a lot.  I think he could be a tremendous asset in that role.

Tony, if you're reading this, I could use a couple of club seats to the next game.  Thanks in advance!

That's basically how I would want Tony to be in an EVP role too.

I mean he can already do that role without a title. He just has other interests

(10-19-2019, 05:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Let me be clear.  I do NOT want ANYONE to do what TC has apparently been doing.   I think there should be a GM who makes personnel decisions, and a coach who coaches.  The EVP of Football Ops should simply be the eyes and ears of an owner who cannot be on hand every day and see what is going on.  

So I am NOT saying Tony Khan should be TC's replacement, because I don't think TC should be doing what he has been described as doing.  I don't want the EVP stirring the pot with coaching or personnel.  He should stay out of it.  Too many cooks!  

I think if TC goes, Tony Khan could be named EVP of Football Ops but the role should be strictly defined as hands off.  Just be the owner's eyes and ears.  That could be a tremendous help to an owner who is very very busy making gobs and gobs of money selling bumpers.

By all accounts, Tony is a very smart guy who loves the team and loves Jacksonville.  He's been involved with the team since his father bought it, and no doubt he's learned a lot.  I think he could be a tremendous asset in that role.

Tony, if you're reading this, I could use a couple of club seats to the next game.  Thanks in advance!

Reasonable take here.