Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you start?
Minshew
Foles
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Foles vs Minshew (poll & merged threads)

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen complaints on the board that we could have drafted Mahomes or Watson instead of Fournette in 2017. Did we need a solid rb, sure but where would our team be with Mahomes or Watson right now? 

Who will be the player we pick in 2020 and we can look back and wish we took Tua or Fromm etc etc. 

I will reiterate I think Minshew has the possibility to be our franchise guy. I’m just not willing to bet the franchise on it. The writing is on the wall for me, if the Jags don’t have a dynasty soon, Kahn could pull the cord on Jacksonville being the home of the Jaguars.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019, 02:52 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-07-2019, 02:13 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen complaints on the board that we could have drafted Mahomes or Watson instead of Fournette in 2017. Did we need a solid rb, sure but where would our team be with Mahomes or Watson right now? 

Who will be the player we pick in 2020 and we can look back and wish we took Tua or Fromm etc etc. 

I will reiterate I think Minshew has the possibility to be our franchise guy. I’m just not willing to bet the franchise on it. The writing is on the wall for me, if the Jags don’t have a dynasty soon, Kahn could pull the cord on Jacksonville being the home of the Jaguars.

It may be a situation where some fans complain about the moves made but choose to still go down that same path due to previous trauma/ learned repetitive behaviors..  I want to break the trend and at least complain about getting the best rated QB in the draft, if he doesnt do well, instead of some second rate surprise pick like Blake to try and outsmart the league.  I'm just sick of QB purgatory and i refuse to be pulled back down in the hole by scared fans who prefer to stay there.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019, 02:59 PM by Kane.)

(11-07-2019, 02:13 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen complaints on the board that we could have drafted Mahomes or Watson instead of Fournette in 2017. Did we need a solid rb, sure but where would our team be with Mahomes or Watson right now? 

Oh you mean the draft that followed the extension for Bortles?
Sounds to me like you need new decision makers in the front office who have, once again, handicapped the team with a contract to a player.

QB was never an option in that draft because they were all-in on Bortles.
Similar situation here with Foles.

That being said, if we can get Kinlaw and Diggs in the first round this year, I won't be mad at them passing on Tua or Fromm.

And please stop with the Jags to London nonsense.

(11-07-2019, 01:55 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 01:51 PM)Kane Wrote: Alex Smith was playing VERY well which allowed Mahomes to sit.
I have no problem with a first round guy sitting if the guy ahead of him is clearly better. 

I just think we have an opportunity to use 2 first rounders to get 2 studs on D or OL.
I don't value Minshew as a first rounder... he's a sixth rounder, and for good reasons really.

I look at the QBs we can draft in this coming draft and don't think any of them fair much better behind an OL that needs work. Burrow gets all day protection and has weapons that don't drop the ball. Tua is great with protection and crumbles when under pressure (and now has ankle injury history). I'm not sold on Herbert or Fromm as NFL franchise guys honestly.
That's my personal scouting of these QBs. I've been wrong before (A lot)

I just think if you use high picks on OL, D, weapons... you can have a late round guy come in and be very successful (Dak Prescott, Wilson, Dalton early in his career)
That's what I'd prefer to see them do. Fix the team around WHOEVER is going to be QB in 2020/2021
Ok lets say we go OL, OL and a player on D with our other 1st rounders and get more players on D with maybe an extra TE with the rest of our draft picks in the next 2 years....lets say 4 early/mid round picks for fun.  Thats 7 picks from 1st through 4/5 outside of QB and you dont think thats enough?

wut?
in 2020 we have 2 firsts and a 2nd to get premier talent. That's all I'm concentrating on. Use THOSE 3 picks on OL, OL, CB, or NT. The mid round picks are usually depth and occasionally you hit on a surprise.
in 2021 use a first on a QB if Foles doesn't pan out and Minshew doesn't develop and use the 2nd and 3rd rounders that year for weapons. TE, WR, RB whatever we need at the time. Late to mid round picks on depth

(11-07-2019, 02:51 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

It may be a situation where some fans complain about the moves made but choose to still go down that same path due to previous trauma/ learned repetitive behaviors..  I want to break the trend and at least complain about getting the best rated QB in the draft, if he doesnt do well, instead of some second rate surprise pick like Blake to try and outsmart the league.  I'm just sick of QB purgatory and i refuse to be pulled back down in the hole by scared fans who prefer to stay there.
It isn't about being scared. It's about thinking wisely.

Hey look, if they use the 2020 first rounders to move up and get Burrow or Tua... I won't be complaining really.
But when those QBs fail because we failed to properly address OL and the rest of the roster, everyone will be complaining.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019, 03:04 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-07-2019, 02:54 PM)Kane Wrote:

Oh you mean the draft that followed the extension for Bortles?
Sounds to me like you need new decision makers in the front office who have, once again, handicapped the team with a contract to a player.

That being said, if we can get Kinlaw and Diggs in the first round this year, I won't be mad at them passing on Tua or Fromm.

(11-07-2019, 01:55 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Ok lets say we go OL, OL and a player on D with our other 1st rounders and get more players on D with maybe an extra TE with the rest of our draft picks in the next 2 years....lets say 4 early/mid round picks for fun.  Thats 7 picks from 1st through 4/5 outside of QB and you dont think thats enough?

wut?
in 2020 we have 2 firsts and a 2nd to get premier talent. That's all I'm concentrating on. Use THOSE 3 picks on OL, OL, CB, or NT. The mid round picks are usually depth and occasionally you hit on a surprise.
in 2021 use a first on a QB if Foles doesn't pan out and Minshew doesn't develop and use the 2nd and 3rd rounders that year for weapons. TE, WR, RB whatever we need at the time. Late to mid round picks on depth

(11-07-2019, 02:51 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: It may be a situation where some fans complain about the moves made but choose to still go down that same path due to previous trauma/ learned repetitive behaviors..  I want to break the trend and at least complain about getting the best rated QB in the draft, if he doesnt do well, instead of some second rate surprise pick like Blake to try and outsmart the league.  I'm just sick of QB purgatory and i refuse to be pulled back down in the hole by scared fans who prefer to stay there.

Hey look, if they use the 2020 first rounders to move up and get Burrow or Tua... I won't be complaining really.
But when those QBs fail because we failed to properly address OL and the rest of the roster, everyone will be complaining.
We have failed to address QB alot longer than we have failed to address OL.  I've wanted an OL in the past 3 drafts and we choose to go other routes but QB, i shouldn't even have to break that down at all.  OL available every other year in packs as well as DBs.  QB isnt a position where you have multiple 1st round rated guys coming out every year that you can pick and choose from.  Maybe you get 1 or 2 if lucky with the rest being hopes and dreams.  Its all a crap shoot so whatevs.  I guess a DB and DL will not garner complaints if the QB position fails with what we currently have assembled.

Also, who is coming out in 2021 that you are wanting to wait on.
Season Tix, Section 409

To the bolded: 
We had Bortles at that point, not Foles/Minshew. Making that sin a much greater sin. 

To the RED: 
Not drafting a QB in 2020 isn't betting the franchise.  It's showing patience about evaluating the talent on the roster. 
Just because there are a couple of QBs in next year's draft that folks are very hyped about doesn't mean we are ruining a chance of a dynasty by not taking one.  A fear of missing out approach is not a wise one when it comes to selecting QBs IMO. 

I don't hate the notion of selecting a QB with one of our 2020 1st rounders if the right guy falls into our laps. I do think it would be unwise to trade up for a guy. That draft capital came at a cost and we need to maximize it.  And I'm probably selecting a QB at all if Foles plays really well in the remaining weeks of 2019.
 Long way to go before we're putting together big boards, and lots can change between now and then.

(11-07-2019, 03:03 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 02:54 PM)Kane Wrote: Oh you mean the draft that followed the extension for Bortles?

wut?

We have failed to address QB alot longer than we have failed to address OL.  I've wanted an OL in the past 3 drafts and we choose to go other routes but QB, i shouldn't even have to break that down at all.  OL available every other year in packs as well as DBs.  QB isnt a position where you have multiple 1st round rated guys coming out every year that you can pick and choose from.  Maybe you get 1 or 2 if lucky with the rest being hopes and dreams.  Its all a crap shoot so whatevs.  I guess a DB and DL will not garner complaints if the QB position fails with what we currently have assembled.

I'm not targeting any particular guy in 2021... I'm actually hoping Foles lights it up and/or Minshew develops.
We don't know who will for sure be coming out in 2020 draft yet. Some of the guys we assume in this draft may go back to school and come out in the 2021 draft.

The 2018 draft was deep at QB and half those guys are looking like duds. And when you draft a dud in round one, you are locked in for like 4 years with that dud.
And a few years back we had two sure-fire guys at the top in Mariota and Winston and neither look like long term franchise guys.

You don't draft em just to draft em. That's how you draft Bortles, Darnold, and Rosen.

Build the team and ANYONE can be QB. Foles, Minshew, hell Dobbs. Or a first rounder in 2021... or a free agent... or a trade target. If the OL is elite and the defense is back to 2017 level... you can have a regular joe at QB

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019, 04:13 PM by Corriewf.)

(11-07-2019, 03:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

To the bolded: 
We had Bortles at that point, not Foles/Minshew. Making that sin a much greater sin. 

To the RED: 
Not drafting a QB in 2020 isn't betting the franchise.  It's showing patience about evaluating the talent on the roster. 
Just because there are a couple of QBs in next year's draft that folks are very hyped about doesn't mean we are ruining a chance of a dynasty by not taking one.  A fear of missing out approach is not a wise one when it comes to selecting QBs IMO. 

I don't hate the notion of selecting a QB with one of our 2020 1st rounders if the right guy falls into our laps. I do think it would be unwise to trade up for a guy. That draft capital came at a cost and we need to maximize it.  And I'm probably selecting a QB at all if Foles plays really well in the remaining weeks of 2019.
 Long way to go before we're putting together big boards, and lots can change between now and then.

Your football IQ along with others on this board is much greater than mine. I’m just extrapolating from years of reading here and hypothesizing based on a hypothetical future. Foles could come out and ball out, and play until he’s 40 here in Jacksonville making all of this hyperbole at best. 

I essentially am arguing that we have been too patient as a franchise. Yes, some patience is required. You can’t expect a rookie to come out there and understand the game. The game needs to slow down for them. But.. big ole Kim Kardashian Butt, we have been overly patient in many many instances costing us excellent draft picks and winning seasons. 

I still argue it’s betting the franchise on Minshew. Minshew is way better than Bortles but I’m not ready to say he’s a future Mahomes, Watson, or Rodgers. Being aggressive and drafting a possible franchise QB and letting them compete is not a bad idea. It may not be the best use of draft capital if Minshew balls out going forward but it’s insurance to a franchise that desperately needs it.

(11-07-2019, 04:12 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: To the bolded: 

To the RED: 

Your football IQ along with others on this board is much greater than mine. I’m just extrapolating from years of reading here and hypothesizing based on a hypothetical future. Foles could come out and ball out, and play until he’s 40 here in Jacksonville making all of this hyperbole at best. 

I essentially am arguing that we have been too patient as a franchise. Yes, some patience is required. You can’t expect a rookie to come out there and understand the game. The game needs to slow down for them. But.. big ole Kim Kardashian Butt, we have been overly patient in many many instances costing us excellent draft picks and winning seasons. 

I still argue it’s betting the franchise on Minshew. Minshew is way better than Bortles but I’m not ready to say he’s a future Mahomes, Watson, or Rodgers. Being aggressive and drafting a possible franchise QB and letting them compete is not a bad idea. It may not be the best use of draft capital if Minshew balls out going forward but it’s insurance to a franchise that desperately needs it.

I would argue against that.  In my opinion both Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles were thrown into a starting role way too early.  Had either one of them sat for a season and developed properly perhaps they would have done better.

Regarding Minshew, yes it sucks for him to revert back to the role that he started the season in (backup quarterback), but in the long run that may turn out to be the best thing for him.  He has the chance to learn behind a veteran.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting another QB next season to challenge him for the backup role, but the dilemma is opened up about having to keep 3 QB's on the roster if they draft a really good prospect... especially one that might actually put up a good challenge.  I wouldn't want to use a whole bunch of draft capital (ie., trading up) to get a QB though.  I would stick to a BAP philosophy in the draft for the most part.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-07-2019, 03:55 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:03 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: We have failed to address QB alot longer than we have failed to address OL.  I've wanted an OL in the past 3 drafts and we choose to go other routes but QB, i shouldn't even have to break that down at all.  OL available every other year in packs as well as DBs.  QB isnt a position where you have multiple 1st round rated guys coming out every year that you can pick and choose from.  Maybe you get 1 or 2 if lucky with the rest being hopes and dreams.  Its all a crap shoot so whatevs.  I guess a DB and DL will not garner complaints if the QB position fails with what we currently have assembled.

I'm not targeting any particular guy in 2021... I'm actually hoping Foles lights it up and/or Minshew develops.
We don't know who will for sure be coming out in 2020 draft yet. Some of the guys we assume in this draft may go back to school and come out in the 2021 draft.

The 2018 draft was deep at QB and half those guys are looking like duds. And when you draft a dud in round one, you are locked in for like 4 years with that dud.
And a few years back we had two sure-fire guys at the top in Mariota and Winston and neither look like long term franchise guys.

You don't draft em just to draft em. That's how you draft Bortles, Darnold, and Rosen.

Build the team and ANYONE can be QB. Foles, Minshew, hell Dobbs. Or a first rounder in 2021... or a free agent... or a trade target. If the OL is elite and the defense is back to 2017 level... you can have a regular joe at QB

Thats True.  I guess i just long for having a guy that can carry the team from the QB position and have us at leisure to pick any position in the draft, at any position, but know we have that spot locked.  I feel every other position can be drafted and replaced via FA or the draft except QB.  i don't know many DL, OL, RB, WR, TE, or even DBs, that give a team that luxury.
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-07-2019, 05:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 04:12 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Your football IQ along with others on this board is much greater than mine. I’m just extrapolating from years of reading here and hypothesizing based on a hypothetical future. Foles could come out and ball out, and play until he’s 40 here in Jacksonville making all of this hyperbole at best. 

I would argue against that.  In my opinion both Blaine Gabbert and Blake Bortles were thrown into a starting role way too early.  Had either one of them sat for a season and developed properly perhaps they would have done better.

Regarding Minshew, yes it sucks for him to revert back to the role that he started the season in (backup quarterback), but in the long run that may turn out to be the best thing for him.  He has the chance to learn behind a veteran.

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting another QB next season to challenge him for the backup role, but the dilemma is opened up about having to keep 3 QB's on the roster if they draft a really good prospect... especially one that might actually put up a good challenge.  I wouldn't want to use a whole bunch of draft capital (ie., trading up) to get a QB though.  I would stick to a BAP philosophy in the draft for the most part.

I dunno man.. Seems like we are often too patient with mediocrity. That’s all encompassing, front office, coaching, players, we wait too long to absolutely confirm a [BLEEP] show before cutting ties. 

With that said as posters, we often are too impatient as well. Smile

My drafting of a first round QB is contingent on Foles not being here the 2021 season. I don’t see Foles being in the picture after next season. I think he will get beat out by Minshew or drafted qb from the 2020 class and traded.

Dobbs is another Carlos Hyde this time next year.

(11-07-2019, 06:09 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:55 PM)Kane Wrote: I'm not targeting any particular guy in 2021... I'm actually hoping Foles lights it up and/or Minshew develops.

Thats True.  I guess i just long for having a guy that can carry the team from the QB position and have us at leisure to pick any position in the draft, at any position, but know we have that spot locked.  I feel every other position can be drafted and replaced via FA or the draft except QB.  i don't know many DL, OL, RB, WR, TE, or even DBs, that give a team that luxury.

We are in a GREAT position with 2 picks in the next two first rounds. This is the most positive I have felt about this franchise in a very long time. There is a huge upside!

With the exception of Campbell, the folks putting up the best numbers are very young! I only see the Texans competing with us for the division the next few years...

Good article looking at the Jags O through 9 weeks. 
https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/wher...change-an/

Lol because THATS why Blake and Blaine didn’t work out. They played too quickly.....

There’s nothing you can gain from riding the bench that you can’t gain from playing. What is Minshew gaining for those 3 hours on game day where Foles is playing? Basically all week is about film and preparation regardless if you’re the starter or not. But when Minshew is holding the clipboard, he’s not able to see first hand what types of blitzes are coming at him in real speed.

Once it was clear the moment was never too big for Minshew, it should have been time to move on from Foles. Foles isn’t the long term answer here but Minshew just may be.

(11-07-2019, 08:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol because THATS why Blake and Blaine didn’t work out. They played too quickly.....

There’s nothing you can gain from riding the bench that you can’t gain from playing. What is Minshew gaining for those 3 hours on game day where Foles is playing? Basically all week is about film and preparation regardless if you’re the starter or not. But when Minshew is holding the clipboard, he’s not able to see first hand what types of blitzes are coming at him in real speed.

Once it was clear the moment was never too big for Minshew, it should have been time to move on from Foles. Foles isn’t the long term answer here but Minshew just may be.

Absolutely correct.

The only instance when playtime is a bad thing for a QB is when they're weak mentally. Minshew is about as confident and determined as they come. 

We gain nothing from this in the long-term.

(11-07-2019, 08:54 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 08:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol because THATS why Blake and Blaine didn’t work out. They played too quickly.....

Absolutely correct.

The only instance when playtime is a bad thing for a QB is when they're weak mentally. Minshew is about as confident and determined as they come. 

We gain nothing from this in the long-term.

At first I agreed with you guys, but you know, none of us are NFL pros. I would imagine there are a ton of logistics behind the scenes and it’s probably hard to learn some of them running for your life. He can watch how plays unfold and are executed with a seasoned vet. The fact that he is so smart means he can benefit quite a lot. The kid hasn’t had one game to watch a starter in the system he’s playing in.

(11-06-2019, 12:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Do you seriously want to throw away the guy who won rookie of the week 6 of the first 8 weeks? 

Yep, just like everyone said it's a dumb, meaningless fan vote. Minschew undeservedly winning multiple fan votes doesn't skew people opinions of him at all. Oh wait...

(11-07-2019, 03:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Not drafting a QB in 2020 isn't betting the franchise.  It's showing patience about evaluating the talent on the roster. 

Normally I am the most patient guy around, but I think us having an extra 1st rounder the next two years adds some urgency. We have the necessary ammo to make a move to get a QB that we really want should one be there. We should be expediting the Minshew evaluation and let him play the rest of this season. Not taking a potential franchise QB while we have this extra ammo because we aren't sure about Minshew after wasting almost half of a lost season on Foles is unwise to me.

That said, I understand why the 3 headed snake FO that should be on a very hot seat would want to start the veteran.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019, 08:13 AM by RicoTx.)

(11-07-2019, 11:38 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:11 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Do you seriously want to throw away the guy who won rookie of the week 6 of the first 8 weeks? 

Yep, just like everyone said it's a dumb, meaningless fan vote. Minschew undeservedly winning multiple fan votes doesn't skew people opinions of him at all. Oh wait...

LOL.

Laughing 
It's a [BLEEP] fan vote.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-08-2019, 08:12 AM)Rico Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 11:38 PM)Upper Wrote: Yep, just like everyone said it's a dumb, meaningless fan vote. Minschew undeservedly winning multiple fan votes doesn't skew people opinions of him at all. Oh wait...

LOL.

Laughing 
It's a [BLEEP] fan vote.

You're missing the point. 

He doesn't deserve so many fans!