Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you start?
Minshew
Foles
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Foles vs Minshew (poll & merged threads)

(11-18-2019, 12:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:46 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Pass on Tua. He's Mr. Glass. And behind this offensive line he'll still be Mr. Glass. I admire his toughness and his ability to buy time and make plays but it only lasts so long in the NFL. Waiting on LaMar Jackson at any point this year to tweak his knee on a run play and it's party over for the Ravens. He's fun to watch. But he's also scary to watch at the same time. 

I would hate to see this next regime start over at the QB position when they should give Minshew a chance. Build around his drive. Build around his energy and work ethic. Need to fix the offensive line. Look into getting another go up and get it type receiver to match Chark as well. Maybe get lucky and hit on a pass catching TE in next year's draft late too unless Oliver starts shining through with six weeks remaining.

Not likely with those fractures in his back. Bust.

Just caught that news too. And yeah. Not off to a good start. Some guys just can't stay healthy. Maybe if they find another TE they can work him and sneak him into some passing situation in 2020. We miss O'Shaughnessy IMHO. He may not have moved the needle in the passing game like a Mark Andrews or Travis Kelce for this team but you could see the approach and chemistry was off with Minshew the moment that kid went out on IR.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-18-2019, 12:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:46 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Pass on Tua. He's Mr. Glass. And behind this offensive line he'll still be Mr. Glass. I admire his toughness and his ability to buy time and make plays but it only lasts so long in the NFL. Waiting on LaMar Jackson at any point this year to tweak his knee on a run play and it's party over for the Ravens. He's fun to watch. But he's also scary to watch at the same time. 

I would hate to see this next regime start over at the QB position when they should give Minshew a chance. Build around his drive. Build around his energy and work ethic. Need to fix the offensive line. Look into getting another go up and get it type receiver to match Chark as well. Maybe get lucky and hit on a pass catching TE in next year's draft late too unless Oliver starts shining through with six weeks remaining.

Not likely with those fractures in his back. Bust.

Calling Oliver a bust right now is exactly as stupid as all those morons that did the same thing with Chark last year.

(11-18-2019, 12:46 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:39 PM)Corriewf Wrote: You saw that too. I typically enjoy positive vibes, but that came across as a guy lacking hunger or fight. This game is a war among warriors. He sounds like a guy needing hormone therapy. Let’s get him some testosterone cream. 

Wonder if Tua will slide enough for us to pick up as a great back up for Minshew or who knows.. 

We obviously have a lot to address in this upcoming draft, but we certainly have enough picks to go around.

Pass on Tua. He's Mr. Glass. And behind this offensive line he'll still be Mr. Glass. I admire his toughness and his ability to buy time and make plays but it only lasts so long in the NFL. Waiting on LaMar Jackson at any point this year to tweak his knee on a run play and it's party over for the Ravens. He's fun to watch. But he's also scary to watch at the same time. 

That is why I think Tua is perfect. He is having surgery today and probably won’t be healthy enough to start next year. Get rid of Foles, start Minshew, let Tua heal out his first year on the bench. When Tua comes back, depending on Minshew’s performance, let the two guys compete. I love Minshew but I love the jaguars more. Would love to have a real QB competition. Worst case, you have a back up QB in either that can keep the winning going. The best teams have serious talent at backup QB. 

Draft a TE high with second first pick.. we have needed a stellar TE for years! We waste too much time, money, and picks in free agency.

Foles definitely didnt play well but it's only one game. He could have been rusty. The OLine wasn't great. We abandoned the run. Could be any number of reasons. Should see how he does the next few weeks before writing him off.

(11-18-2019, 01:12 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Foles definitely didnt play well but it's only one game.  He could have been rusty.  The OLine wasn't great.  We abandoned the run.  Could be any number of reasons.  Should see how he does the next few weeks before writing him off.
This was my biggest reason for not starting Foles. They Jags couldn't afford to lose these next two games which means they couldn't afford a few games for Foles to shake the rust off.

(11-18-2019, 01:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Not likely with those fractures in his back. Bust.

Calling Oliver a bust right now is exactly as stupid as all those morons that did the same thing with Chark last year.

Foles nearly got the guy killed in that play that fractured his back. Poor throw into double coverage and Oliver got scissored. When he landed I minced and thought he wouldn’t get back up. Tough fella for sure.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 01:21 PM by Caldrac.)

The entire team played like a trash fire yesterday. I can't fault Foles completely. But he had his fair share of dog [BLEEP] moments that didn't help. The officiating was also in not so rare form for this team as well yesterday. We'll see what happens this weekend. Getting outscored 59 - 16 over the last two weeks with a bye week in between is embarrassing though. Especially when it's against divisional opponents.

At least this Sunday's game is at 1600 hours instead of 1300. Now I can get all my yard work [BLEEP] done around the house with some daylight still out.

(11-18-2019, 01:17 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 01:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Calling Oliver a bust right now is exactly as stupid as all those morons that did the same thing with Chark last year.

Foles nearly got the guy killed in that play that fractured his back. Poor throw into double coverage and Oliver got scissored. When he landed I minced and thought he wouldn’t get back up. Tough fella for sure.

Don't forget Westbrook getting smacked like a fly to a windshield on I-95 yesterday too. Next six weeks are going to be interesting. In fairness. Foles DID showcase some pocket ability and poise under fire early in that game. I think once the defense started actually hitting him though he was rattled a bit and that's why you saw those bad throws and bad leads into defenders.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

To put it nicely. Foles sucked it up bad yesterday. Turds for deep balls. Low and inaccurate dump off after dump off. Zero escapeability and damn near pulled a Gabbert fetal flop on one play. Not impressed. I will admit some bias as I was never excited in the slightest over his signing but he looked bad...real bad IMO.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(11-18-2019, 08:15 AM)mikesez Wrote: I don't think Foles deserves much blame for the loss.
I think if a running game was established, we would not have seen Foles struggling nearly as much.
Our oline just got manhandled against the run and the pass, and Fournette looked like he was wearing lead boots early on.
By the second half they just gave up on being physical and asked Foles to do everything with very little time in the pocket.

I agree. He was rusty no doubt evident in being a bit of target on some throws but we weren't winning this game no matter who the QB was. The defense was as bad as I've ever seen and there was zero running game in support. I don't put that all on the OL though, play calling was way too heavily weighted towards the pass. Ugh that was an ugly game.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 01:40 PM by Caldrac.)

The play calling over the last two games have been pretty [BLEEP] on offense. And I can't stress enough about the running game with Fournette. He lacks vision. Stop trying to run him out of single set formations. Simplify the game for him. Take the guess work out for him by cutting the field in half.

If you want to run with power just line the [BLEEP] up in power formations and run it the traditional way. Twin TE's, a FB, etc. Whatever it takes to give him enough time to build up steam? Do it.

(11-18-2019, 01:22 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 08:15 AM)mikesez Wrote: I don't think Foles deserves much blame for the loss.
I think if a running game was established, we would not have seen Foles struggling nearly as much.
Our oline just got manhandled against the run and the pass, and Fournette looked like he was wearing lead boots early on.
By the second half they just gave up on being physical and asked Foles to do everything with very little time in the pocket.

I agree. He was rusty no doubt evident in being a bit of target on some throws but we weren't winning this game no matter who the QB was. The defense was as bad as I've ever seen and there was zero running game in support. I don't put that all on the OL though, play calling was way too heavily weighted towards the pass. Ugh that was an ugly game.
What do you expect the defense to do when the offense is going 5 plays or less and then punting? The Jags defense actually did pretty good in the 1st quarter until this sequence:

5 plays. Punt
3 plays. Punt.
3 plays. Punt
1 play. Interception
4 plays. Turnover on downs.
10 plays. Nothing
3 plays. Punt.
Got a gift on the fumble! 4 plays. Missed FG
5 plays. Punt.

Jags defense held the Colts to 10 points at half time. How do you expect them to stop the run when they only get 30 seconds to rest?

(11-18-2019, 01:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 01:22 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I agree. He was rusty no doubt evident in being a bit of target on some throws but we weren't winning this game no matter who the QB was. The defense was as bad as I've ever seen and there was zero running game in support. I don't put that all on the OL though, play calling was way too heavily weighted towards the pass. Ugh that was an ugly game.
What do you expect the defense to do when the offense is going 5 plays or less and then punting? The Jags defense actually did pretty good in the 1st quarter until this sequence:

5 plays. Punt
3 plays. Punt.
3 plays. Punt
1 play. Interception
10 plays. Nothing
3 plays. Punt.
5 plays. Punt.

Jags defense held the Colts to 10 points at half time. How do you expect them to stop the run when they only get 30 seconds to rest?

They were demoralized. We've seen this show before.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 02:08 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-18-2019, 01:22 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

i think the panthers game film would beg to differ.  Someone hold my beer.....stats instead of film but here you go.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/boxscore?id=8829&type=8
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-18-2019, 01:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 01:22 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I agree. He was rusty no doubt evident in being a bit of target on some throws but we weren't winning this game no matter who the QB was. The defense was as bad as I've ever seen and there was zero running game in support. I don't put that all on the OL though, play calling was way too heavily weighted towards the pass. Ugh that was an ugly game.

5 plays. Punt
3 plays. Punt.
3 plays. Punt
1 play. Interception
10 plays. Nothing
3 plays. Punt.
5 plays. Punt.

If I recall correctly, three of those drives were hurt by penalties early on. Resulting in 3rd downs with unmanageable distances. 

Of course it took a toll on the defense eventually, but the frequency of missed tackles, poor LB positioning, and DL being manhandled vs the run was over-the-top bad whether they were gassed or not.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 02:30 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

I was hard on Nick yesterday, certainly thought he should’ve played better.

That being said, I’m willing to give him the rest of the year and see how he does. We’re not making the playoffs, minshew got 8 games, nick will get 7 to show what he can do. If by seasons end we’ve concluded that Minshew is the better option, we try to trade Foles or offer him an early retirement option.

(11-18-2019, 01:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Not likely with those fractures in his back. Bust.

I'm, uh, pretty sure he was one of those then too.

(11-18-2019, 01:39 PM)Caldrac Wrote: The play calling over the last two games have been pretty [BLEEP] on offense. And I can't stress enough about the running game with Fournette. He lacks vision. Stop trying to run him out of single set formations. Simplify the game for him. Take the guess work out for him by cutting the field in half.

If you want to run with power just line the [BLEEP] up in power formations and run it the traditional way. Twin TE's, a FB, etc. Whatever it takes to give him enough time to build up steam? Do it.

Exactly, we aren't a run first team if we never line up in a running formation.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I know I'm stating the obvious here.
First half we still had a shot. They were all around bad the second half ......clots came out and kept their plan going as the Jags folded.
and we sadly had NO plan ....like marrongna bologna said...." ...we tried everything"
Meh   Wallbash
Let's try a new HC, DC and get away from football 99.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

I am all for Mike McCarthy being in Jacksonville next year. I think he could get a lot out of Foles and/or Minshew in 2020. And I think with the right GM in the office with him he could fix a lot of the holes this team has on the offensive line.

(11-18-2019, 02:30 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I was hard on Nick yesterday, certainly thought he should’ve played better.

That being said, I’m willing to give him the rest of the year and see how he does. We’re not making the playoffs, minshew got 8 games, nick will get 7 to show what he can do. If by seasons end we’ve concluded that Minshew is the better option, we try to trade Foles or offer him an early retirement option.
Why exactly? Is Foles the future? If not, why play him the rest of the season?

(11-18-2019, 02:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I am all for Mike McCarthy being in Jacksonville next year. I think he could get a lot out of Foles and/or Minshew in 2020. And I think with the right GM in the office with him he could fix a lot of the holes this team has on the offensive line.

I think MM would be just fine with this FO, there's talent here that isn't being properly developed or used. MM could fix that, at least on the offensive side.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato