Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you start?
Minshew
Foles
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Foles vs Minshew (poll & merged threads)

(11-18-2019, 03:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 02:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I am all for Mike McCarthy being in Jacksonville next year. I think he could get a lot out of Foles and/or Minshew in 2020. And I think with the right GM in the office with him he could fix a lot of the holes this team has on the offensive line.

I think MM would be just fine with this FO, there's talent here that isn't being properly developed or used. MM could fix that, at least on the offensive side.
I'm on the fence about McCarthy. He's just another coaching retread who didn't get the most out of a team with Aaron Rodgers....

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-18-2019, 02:53 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 02:30 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I was hard on Nick yesterday, certainly thought he should’ve played better.

That being said, I’m willing to give him the rest of the year and see how he does. We’re not making the playoffs, minshew got 8 games, nick will get 7 to show what he can do. If by seasons end we’ve concluded that Minshew is the better option, we try to trade Foles or offer him an early retirement option.
Why exactly? Is Foles the future? If not, why play him the rest of the season?

So you can figure out your strategy and timeline of moving on from him based on his level of performance.

(11-18-2019, 03:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 02:53 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Why exactly? Is Foles the future? If not, why play him the rest of the season?

So you can figure out your strategy and timeline of moving on from him based on his level of performance.
All while wasting Minshew on the bench. Brilliant.

Also, how much did Minshew learn yesterday in those 3 hours watching Foles throw into double coverage? Was it helpful for him?

(11-18-2019, 02:53 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 02:30 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I was hard on Nick yesterday, certainly thought he should’ve played better.

That being said, I’m willing to give him the rest of the year and see how he does. We’re not making the playoffs, minshew got 8 games, nick will get 7 to show what he can do. If by seasons end we’ve concluded that Minshew is the better option, we try to trade Foles or offer him an early retirement option.
Why exactly? Is Foles the future? If not, why play him the rest of the season?

Becausssssssse. Money. And politics. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-18-2019, 03:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 03:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: So you can figure out your strategy and timeline of moving on from him based on his level of performance.
All while wasting Minshew on the bench. Brilliant.

Also, how much did Minshew learn yesterday in those 3 hours watching Foles throw into double coverage? Was it helpful for him?

I don't see Minshew sitting out these games as wasteful. 

*We'll be lucky to win more than 2 of them at this rate regardless of whether he plays or not 

*he'd be playing for a lame duck staff and have to learn a new system next summer anyway

*and I absolutely do believe he will continue to learn every day as a backup. Even on Sundays when the starter plays poorly. Why this age old concept of rookies learning as back-ups seemingly just goes out the window for certain Jags fans when talking about Minshew is a complete mystery to me. It's tried and true methodology.

To me, we need something positive. Put Minshew back in and let him try to win OROY. At least we could have that.

(11-18-2019, 03:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 03:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: All while wasting Minshew on the bench. Brilliant.

*We'll be lucky to win more than 2 of them at this rate regardless of whether he plays or not 

*he'd be playing for a lame duck staff and have to learn a new system next summer anyway

*and I absolutely do believe he will continue to learn every day as a backup. Even on Sundays when the starter plays poorly. Why this age old concept of rookies learning as back-ups seemingly just goes out the window for certain Jags fans when talking about Minshew is a complete mystery to me. It's tried and true methodology.

Wasn't the whole argument for playing Foles, was because he was supposed to give us the best chance to win games? If that's not the case and we're just going to lose games regardless, what's the point in playing him? Why not play the rookie so he can continue to get experience?

He's going to have to learn a new system next year regardless of whether he plays or not. That shouldn't have anything to do with this current situation.

Foles was nothing more than a stop gap to begin with. He's certainly not the future, that's for sure. Maybe Minshew can be the future? We can't find that out with him sitting on the bench. Plus him playing out the rest of the season would put out more game tape for the new staff to evaluate in this coming off season. They're going to have to make a decision on whether to roll with Minshew, or make QB a high priority in the draft.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2019, 09:50 AM by Cleatwood.)

(11-18-2019, 03:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 03:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: All while wasting Minshew on the bench. Brilliant.

Alright so which is it now? Foles gives them the best chance to win or it doesn't matter any more since we are going to lose regardless?

And I think the reason a lot of coaches don't play the rookies right away is because the moment may be too big for them. It's clear that it wasn't too big for Minshew. Foles is not the future so let's move on.

You give him at least a few games to shake off the rust, develop a sense of timing with the receivers (probably the biggest hindrance Sunday, especially considering our complete abandonment of the run game), and hopefully show that he can still be a quality starter.

If that happens, you at least have options going into the offseason. If he fails to get this team looking competent, we are left with an albatross around our neck.

(11-18-2019, 08:43 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 03:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't see Minshew sitting out these games as wasteful. 

Wasn't the whole argument for playing Foles, was because he was supposed to give us the best chance to win games? If that's not the case and we're just going to lose games regardless, what's the point in playing him? Why not play the rookie so he can continue to get experience?

He's going to have to learn a new system next year regardless of whether he plays or not. That shouldn't have anything to do with this current situation.

Foles was nothing more than a stop gap to begin with. He's certainly not the future, that's for sure. Maybe Minshew can be the future? We can't find that out with him sitting on the bench. Plus him playing out the rest of the season would put out more game tape for the new staff to evaluate in this coming off season. They're going to have to make a decision on whether to roll with Minshew, or make QB a high priority in the draft.

Foles was thought to have a better chance of getting the ball out a beat quicker behind a line giving up pressure. 
In the one game back thus far, it didn't happen enough to prove to be an advantage. Then he compounded that by making a number of bad throws and decisions.  He'll get another crack to determine if that's rust or just inability. 
That seems fair to me.  

I think they already have enough tape on Minshew to determine he should compete for the start next year. I don't need to risk injury with him to log more tape. I'd take advantage of gaining tape on his immediate competition as they are currently. They'll have some good A/B tape to compare on their top QBs. Drafting a 2020 QB is not a concern to me unless one falls into your lap and you're forced to consider it. 
(11-19-2019, 09:49 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 03:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't see Minshew sitting out these games as wasteful. 

Alright so which is it now? Foles gives them the best chance to win or it doesn't matter any more since we are going to lose regardless?

And I think the reason a lot of coaches don't play the rookies right away is because the moment may be too big for them. It's clear that it wasn't too big for Minshew. Foles is not the future so let's move on.

Foles was thought to give them the best chance, but failed to prove it in one game thus far.

The reason you state here is but one reason among many reasons rookies learn from the bench in year one.

(11-19-2019, 10:06 AM)Mikey Wrote:

You give him at least a few games to shake off the rust, develop a sense of timing with the receivers (probably the biggest hindrance Sunday, especially considering our complete abandonment of the run game), and hopefully show that he can still be a quality starter.

If that happens, you at least have options going into the offseason. If he fails to get this team looking competent, we are left with an albatross around our neck.

Foles throwing into double coverage to Chark every other play wasn’t a lack of timing

I don't think anybody said Minshew wouldn't learn on the bench, just that they value the development on the field more.

With the caveat that Foles first start was probably always going to be shaky. Unfortunately, he has a tough defense away this week where he likely plays poorly too.

(11-19-2019, 06:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: I don't think anybody said Minshew wouldn't learn on the bench, just that they value the development on the field more.

With the caveat that Foles first start was probably always going to be shaky. Unfortunately, he has a tough defense away this week where he likely plays poorly too.

Several posters have said that in no uncertain terms.

(11-19-2019, 06:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 06:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: I don't think anybody said Minshew wouldn't learn on the bench, just that they value the development on the field more.

Several posters have said that in no uncertain terms.
I've maintained the stance that you learn more from playing than you do watching.

(11-20-2019, 09:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 06:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Several posters have said that in no uncertain terms.
I've maintained the stance that you learn more from playing than you do watching.

Especially if what you're watching is hot garbage.. the only thing he's learning is.. yep, I could have done that better than him as a rookie.

(11-20-2019, 09:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 06:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Several posters have said that in no uncertain terms.

(11-20-2019, 10:15 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 09:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I've maintained the stance that you learn more from playing than you do watching.

Especially if what you're watching is hot garbage.. the only thing he's learning is.. yep, I could have done that better than him as a rookie.

I maintain that Minshew hit a rookie wall or plateau in his production/efficiency and having the luxury of allowing him sit and regroup is a good thing at this stage of his development.   Allowing him to engrain bad habits in an effort to do too much attempting to overcome subpar protection and a floundering defense could hinder his development IMO. 

I don't fault any of you for wanting him to play. I get why you feel that way.  I just don't see any great benefit coming from it and I do see a potential for regression born out of desperation.

To add, if you’re goal long term is for Minshew to be the starting QB and for certain personnel to be gone...you want Foles starting now.

The steady vet really helping this offense out.

Foles is just a backup. He’s not starter material.

(11-24-2019, 06:32 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Foles is just a backup. He’s not starter material.

Agree. Damn he's bad... :/