Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you start?
Minshew
Foles
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Foles vs Minshew (poll & merged threads)

So watch this video of the highlights from Nick Foles Super Bowl game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqGTjWcla3U

I see dimes dropping everywhere... BUT I see an offensive line that is giving Foles plenty of time. We don’t have that here. After watching that video, I have concerns about wether Foles can play behind an offensive line that allows a lot of pressure to the level Minshew has? Minshew is dropping dimes while scrambling around 4-5 guys grabbing at him. Heck, he had a ball swatted which he grabbed and threw for a completion. I can’t say definitively if Foles can do what Minshew is doing right now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not voting. Foles needs to be the guy. He's getting paid too much and didn't get enough time to show us anything. I never liked te idea of him coming here in the first place because I knew he couldn't stay healthy a full season But I didn't mean 1 quarter. Anyway Foles needs to start so we can move on from the FO who brought him here and fire the HC who is sub par along with the DC.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(10-02-2019, 10:37 AM)Corriewf Wrote: So watch this video of the highlights from Nick Foles Super Bowl game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqGTjWcla3U

I see dimes dropping everywhere... BUT I see an offensive line that is giving Foles plenty of time. We don’t have that here. After watching that video, I have concerns about wether Foles can play behind an offensive line that allows a lot of pressure to the level Minshew has? Minshew is dropping dimes while scrambling around 4-5 guys grabbing at him. Heck, he had a ball swatted which he grabbed and threw for a completion. I can’t say definitively if Foles can do what Minshew is doing right now.

I don't recall where I read it, but Foles has stated that the reason he did so well in Philly is because the O line protected him. Judging by how porous our line seems at times, Foles' season performance would be uneven.

(10-02-2019, 04:29 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Not voting. Foles needs to be the guy. He's getting paid too much and didn't get enough time to show us anything. I never liked te idea of him coming here in the first place because I knew he couldn't stay healthy a full season But I didn't mean 1 quarter. Anyway Foles needs to start so we can move on from the FO who brought him here and fire the HC who is sub par along with the DC.

I remember when my grandson reasoned like this.  Luckily he has gotten an education thus far.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-30-2019, 09:53 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 03:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I think that this is all a bit premature right now.

With that being said as it currently stands, I would keep Foles on the sideline should he be back and healthy this week (I know that he's not going to be healthy for quite some time).  Stay with the "hot hand".

As far as contracts and salary cap stuff, I'm by no means an "expert" on such matters, but I would try to keep him for another season as the backup, even with his high salary unless he can be traded (doubtful).  He's going to be a hit on the salary cap either way (if he's released), and it gives the team the opportunity to draft a potential new future backup while having a VERY capable backup in place.

The bottom line is, like it or not the team has already "paid" for this season and the next for his services... at least if I understand how his contract works correctly.

If I am wrong about this, one of you "salary cap geeks" please correct me.

No, you got it. Foles would cost roughly $11M more against the cap to cut or trade than he would to keep. People don't seem to get that. Nick Foles is a Jaguar until February of 2021, assuming all goes well with Minshew.

That's not correct. It's true that he would count $11,750,000 more against the 2020 cap if cut, but if he is traded before 6/1/2020 it would actually save $3,375,000. It's still a lot of dead money ($18,750,000), but if the FO is sure that Minshew is the long term answer, they may want to trade for draft picks or positions of need.

(10-02-2019, 04:29 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Not voting. Foles needs to be the guy. He's getting paid too much and didn't get enough time to show us anything. I never liked te idea of him coming here in the first place because I knew he couldn't stay healthy a full season But I didn't mean 1 quarter. Anyway Foles needs to start so we can move on from the FO who brought him here and fire the HC who is sub par along with the DC.

So... let's shelve the promising 6th RD pick that's brought a tremendous amount of hope and buzz to the city of Jacksonville for a franchise that's been starving for a legitimate face to represent this franchise? Brilliant. If you worked in marketing I would have drop kicked your [BLEEP] in a meeting without thinking twice. 

Business is business. And winning is good for business. Things are constantly changing in business. As in life. In this case they've struck a gold vein potentially (I say potentially because it's only been four games but damn he's looking like a potential 10+ year starter if he wants it at this level). In business when you've found a vein of gold you keep chipping away at that [BLEEP] until all of the ore is gone. 

You don't take a risk just for the sake of taking a risk at this point. It's bad for business. This kid is leading by example. His story is good. His background is good. Everywhere he's played he's been a difference maker and developed a following. There's literally nothing to not like about this kid. Nothing. 

We've all had our issues with this front office and coaching staff. Truly, a love and hate relationship, and you can count me among that camp. But sometimes you get lucky. And they certainly got lucky here. Adapt or die at this point. And right now they're adapting. I just can't believe your actual line of thinking here.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Uh...

1. Are you serious?
A. (No) oh. Hahaha. I get your funniness! 
B. (Yes). You freaking high?

Well to be fair, we don't really know how Foles would perform with this team. Perhaps he'd be averaging 390 ypg and 4 TDs per game. The reality is that Foles is an experience talented QB and Minshew is a talented rookie with the "it" factor. It's actually a nice problem to have. If the Jags are on a roll and keep winning I don't know how you insert a new variable into that equation by changing your QB. Let's see where we are in 6 weeks or so.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I'm dead serious about my statements. Belittle me all you want, that's your right. If this FO, HC, and DC stay any longer, Minshew can't succeed. But I guess being mediocre is enough for all of you. Carry on in mediocrity.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019, 07:35 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

I was excited for Foles to come here, and I still think he could do good. However, you DON'T interrupt a good thing, and Minshew is a damn good thing right now. If he's totally regressed by week 13 when Foles is ready to return, sure. But if he is ~65% completion, ~20 TDs, ~10 INT, and 25-3500 yards and we have a winning or even record, you don't mess with it. Period. What he paid him is irrelevant if were winning and have great QB play.

(10-02-2019, 07:26 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: I'm dead serious about my statements. Belittle me all you want, that's your right. If this FO, HC, and DC stay any longer, Minshew can't succeed. But I guess being mediocre is enough for all of you. Carry on in mediocrity.

Think about your statement bud. You want to win, but only with the correct front office? So you’re not a fan of the team, you’re a fan of team staffing? 

I only care about coaching when we are losing.. if we are winning, I don’t care if jaxson de ville is coaching... coaching is a means to an end.

(10-02-2019, 10:45 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 07:26 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: I'm dead serious about my statements. Belittle me all you want, that's your right. If this FO, HC, and DC stay any longer, Minshew can't succeed. But I guess being mediocre is enough for all of you. Carry on in mediocrity.

Think about your statement bud. You want to win, but only with the correct front office? So you’re not a fan of the team, you’re a fan of team staffing? 

I only care about coaching when we are losing.. if we are winning, I don’t care if jaxson de ville is coaching... coaching is a means to an end.

Consider this: if the team wins 12 games and the Superb Owl then the FO stays and that guy is unhappy. Tells you all you need to know about his fandom, don't it?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-02-2019, 11:59 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 10:45 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Think about your statement bud. You want to win, but only with the correct front office? So you’re not a fan of the team, you’re a fan of team staffing? 

Consider this: if the team wins 12 games and the Superb Owl then the FO stays and that guy is unhappy. Tells you all you need to know about his fandom, don't it?

Nooooo! That can’t happen! I want Coughlin gone! No way should Coughlin get another ring! 

I want Coughlin gone and for only Dave to run the show. I’ve got Dave Caldwells general manager rookie card autographed..need to make a buck fifty on eBay. 

I bet Belichick could ride into the locker room on a donkey and snort lines off Brady’s butt crack and win another Super Bowl, no patriot fan will give a [BLEEP]. 

Just saying.

(10-03-2019, 12:53 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-02-2019, 11:59 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Consider this: if the team wins 12 games and the Superb Owl then the FO stays and that guy is unhappy. Tells you all you need to know about his fandom, don't it?

Nooooo! That can’t happen! I want Coughlin gone! No way should Coughlin get another ring! 

I want Coughlin gone and for only Dave to run the show. I’ve got Dave Caldwells general manager rookie card autographed..need to make a buck fifty on eBay. 

I bet Belichick could ride into the locker room on a donkey and snort lines off Brady’s butt crack and win another Super Bowl, no patriot fan will give a [BLEEP]. 

Just saying.

Nah, Dave's gotta go too.  And, umm, thanks for the visual... Sick

Ya know I don’t mind paying Foles 88million for being on the team, being a great leader, providing a healthy and veteran presence, and being a backup should we need him. This team needs as much leadership as it can get 

Foles is like a player/coach/awesome person to have while Minshew develops 

Let them compete next offseason

Foles should retire after this year, he is fragile. He already won a superbowl. He would make a great qb coach in this league or offensive coordinator .

Honestly, if Gardner plays like he does for the year, he’s got to be the starter. Not because he’s better than Foles, but because the team would be better. His rookie contract would allow us to sign the guys we have to keep. Give us flexibility as well.

(10-03-2019, 12:27 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: Honestly, if Gardner plays like he does for the year, he’s got to be the starter. Not because he’s better than Foles, but because the team would be better. His rookie contract would allow us to sign the guys we have to keep. Give us flexibility as well.

Either way Foles and his salary cap hit are on this team in 2020.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-02-2019, 05:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote: So... let's shelve the promising 6th RD pick that's brought a tremendous amount of hope and buzz to the city of Jacksonville for a franchise that's been starving for a legitimate face to represent this franchise? Brilliant. If you worked in marketing I would have drop kicked your [BLEEP] in a meeting without thinking twice......

.....We've all had our issues with this front office and coaching staff. Truly, a love and hate relationship, and you can count me among that camp. But sometimes you get lucky. And they certainly got lucky here. Adapt or die at this point. And right now they're adapting. I just can't believe your actual line of thinking here.

Sunday morning after seeing the "Uncle Rico" thing on ESPN ....I told my wife...you just can't buy marketing like GMII is bringing to the Jaguars.
The national exposure has been incredible.
Even fans of other teams are excited for him, his style of play and hoping for his success.
He's refreshing this day and age as people relate to him.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(10-03-2019, 12:27 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: Honestly, if Gardner plays like he does for the year, he’s got to be the starter. Not because he’s better than Foles, but because the team would be better. His rookie contract would allow us to sign the guys we have to keep. Give us flexibility as well.
Wouldn't "making the team better" automatically make him better than Foles?

If this continues, the Jags are going to have the highest paid backup in league history.