Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This Week in the AFC South-Week 9

Most observers seemed to have this division pegged to a certain extent.  Before Luck retired suddenly before the season, many predicted the Colts to win a closely contended division.  When Luck retired, many still saw the division as closely packed, but many shifted the predictions to the Jaguars.  However, at the midway point, the Colts are at the top of a closely packed division, maintaining at most a game and a half lead over the bottom team in the division, the 4-4 tacks.   But with a bunch of divisional games coming up in the next few weeks, things will get more interesting to be sure.
As for my individual picks, last week saw a rare and welcome 4-0 week for me.  If I am to have any hope of respectability in my predictions record by the end of the year, I will need a few more of those undefeated weeks, starting with this week, because even with that, I am still below .500 so far.

Texans ( 5-3 ) at Jaguars (4-4)-A key divisional matchup in the midway point in the season, this game still has divisional and potential postseason ramifications.  Since the teams met in week 2, both have lost superstars that had a huge impact in the first game.  Last week, the Texans lost future Hall of Fame DE J.J. Watt for the year with a torn pectoral muscle, marking the 3rd time in the last 4 years he wound up on IR.  Meanwhile, the Jaguars traded away stud CB Jalen Ramsey, who held WR Deandre Hopkins to 4 catches for 27 yards in the last meeting.  These losses make both defenses more vulnerable.    While Bouye is a fine CB, I doubt he can duplicate what ramsey did against Hopkins last week.   Likewise, without Watt to provide pressure, the Jaguars can focus more attention to Whitney Mercilus, who wreaked all kinds of havoc on the Jaguars offense last matchup.  If Mercilus is controlled, the Texans’ suspect secondary can get exposed.  With Texans LT Laremy Tunsil nursing a sore shoulder and rookie OL Tytus Howard with a knee issue, I think the Jaguars are better able to pressure Watson than the Texans are able to pressure Minshew.  But will the pressure the Jaguars put on Watson be enough?  I have my doubts.  In the first game post trade they miss Ramsey’s presence on the field, the Texans win 28-24.

Colts (5-2) at Pittsburgh (3-4)-though the Steelers have dominated the series of late and are at home, it is far from the chalk pick.  While the Steelers still have a good enough defense to be problematic for the Colts, I’m questioning their offense.  A very young QB with banged up RBs in James Conner and Benny Snell and receivers that can not separate is not a good matchup against a pretty decent Colts defense with a more experienced QB.  Colts win 24-16.

Titans (4-4) at Panthers (4-3)-Both teams are really banged up, especially Carolina.  But Carolina is coming off an embarrassing loss to the 49ers last week, they are home, have a healthy Christian McCaffrey, and are up against a team nowhere near as good as the 49ers.  Panthers 23 tacks 20.

Last Week:  4-0
Overall:  11-16

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2019, 07:25 AM by SeldomRite.)

(10-31-2019, 06:30 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Most observers seemed to have this division pegged to a certain extent.  Before Luck retired suddenly before the season, many predicted the Colts to win a closely contended division.  When Luck retired, many still saw the division as closely packed, but many shifted the predictions to the Jaguars.  However, at the midway point, the Colts are at the top of a closely packed division, maintaining at most a game and a half lead over the bottom team in the division, the 4-4 tacks.   But with a bunch of divisional games coming up in the next few weeks, things will get more interesting to be sure.
As for my individual picks, last week saw a rare and welcome 4-0 week for me.  If I am to have any hope of respectability in my predictions record by the end of the year, I will need a few more of those undefeated weeks, starting with this week, because even with that, I am still below .500 so far.

Texans ( 5-3 ) at Jaguars (4-4)-A key divisional matchup in the midway point in the season, this game still has divisional and potential postseason ramifications.  Since the teams met in week 2, both have lost superstars that had a huge impact in the first game.  Last week, the Texans lost future Hall of Fame DE J.J. Watt for the year with a torn pectoral muscle, marking the 3rd time in the last 4 years he wound up on IR.  Meanwhile, the Jaguars traded away stud CB Jalen Ramsey, who held WR Deandre Hopkins to 4 catches for 27 yards in the last meeting.  These losses make both defenses more vulnerable.    While Bouye is a fine CB, I doubt he can duplicate what ramsey did against Hopkins last week.   Likewise, without Watt to provide pressure, the Jaguars can focus more attention to Whitney Mercilus, who wreaked all kinds of havoc on the Jaguars offense last matchup.  If Mercilus is controlled, the Texans’ suspect secondary can get exposed.  With Texans LT Laremy Tunsil nursing a sore shoulder and rookie OL Tytus Howard with a knee issue, I think the Jaguars are better able to pressure Watson than the Texans are able to pressure Minshew.  But will the pressure the Jaguars put on Watson be enough?  I have my doubts.  In the first game post trade they miss Ramsey’s presence on the field, the Texans win 28-24.

Colts (5-2) at Pittsburgh (3-4)-though the Steelers have dominated the series of late and are at home, it is far from the chalk pick.  While the Steelers still have a good enough defense to be problematic for the Colts, I’m questioning their offense.  A very young QB with banged up RBs in James Conner and Benny Snell and receivers that can not separate is not a good matchup against a pretty decent Colts defense with a more experienced QB.  Colts win 24-16.

Titans (4-4) at Panthers (4-3)-Both teams are really banged up, especially Carolina.  But Carolina is coming off an embarrassing loss to the 49ers last week, they are home, have a healthy Christian McCaffrey, and are up against a team nowhere near as good as the 49ers.  Panthers 23 tacks 20.

Last Week:  4-0
Overall:  11-16

I'll go Jags, Steelers and Panthers.

Jags have done well in London and the Texans won't have the dogs to rush or cover Chark, if the coaches don't try to get cute with running Fournette a bunch the Jags should be able to score plenty. I'm thinking something like 34-27.

The Steelers aren't elite or anything, but neither are the colts. I'll take the Steelers at home. Something like 24-17

The tacks are a decent team and I'd almost like to see them win just to continue to ruin their draft position. Still, if I see two teams as similar I go home team, so Panthers at home, something like 20-16.

4-0 last week, so up to 15-12 overall.

4-0 Last week
17-10 overall
Jags over Texans
Pittsburgh Over Indy
Panthers ove Titans
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

4-0 Last week
15-12 Overall

This week picks:
Tinhorns (ugh, hope I'm wrong)
Steelers
Panthers

14-13

Jags
colts
panthers

15-12 on the season

Jax 24 Hou 14 - The Jags are familiar with the overseas trip at this point, and tend to do well in their early-morning (our time) contests lately. The pass rush takes over, much as they did against the tacks and Jest.
Indy 23 Pit 13 - Ok, Rudolph, are you the future, or not? You can't open against Indy like you did against Miami. The Colts won't wilt like the Dolphins did.
Car 14 Ten 13 - I hate the tacks. I nothing the Panthers. Someone has to win, I guess.

Jags
Pit
Car
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2019, 12:24 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Jags - we are good in london usually. I am really tempted to pick the tinhorns tho.
Colts - don't think the Steelers are good enough
Carolina- wouldn't be shocked if the tacks steal this, but I think Car is better.
13-12 overall
3-1 last week.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

4-0 last week
12-11 overall

Texans over Jaguars
Steelers over Colts
Titans over Panthers
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

2-2 last week so 13-14 over all
This week?
Jaguars over 'horns
clots (ack, that's hard to say)
other cats over tacks
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Texans @ Jaguars -->  Texans  (but we'll win the drinking contest at an undisclosed bar the morning of the game because our opponents won't show up)
Colts @ Steelers -->  Steelers  (they are tough at home, playing fairly well and coming off a 2 game win streak themselves)
Titans @ Panthers -->  Panthers  (Tannehill's first "bad" game puts the Titans in a tie with the Jags for last place in the division at 4-5)

Last week  4-0
Overall  18-9
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

15-12 overall

Going with:
Jags
Colts
Panthers

15-12 overall

panthers over tittians

steelers over colts- this weeks upset 

Jags over texans. watson is 3-0 as a starter vs jags,that streak ends this sunday.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Week # 8 Results: 4-0
Overall: 17-10

Week # 9 Selections

Jacksonville
Pittsburgh
Carolina

Jags win 21- 17 with a last second td pass to chark for the win. Titans stun the Panthers 20 to 17 , and the colts lose to the Steelers 14 to 10.

19-8 coming in.

Jaguars over Texans

Colts and Steelers- I've waffled on this all week. Conner is out, Hilton is out; Pitt is at home, etc. etc. etc. I'll take Brissette and Reich over Tomlin, Rudolph and the home referees. Colts.

Panthers over tittians
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Jags
clots
panthers
13-14 for the season
Jaguars Fundamentalist

12-15

Jags
colts
panthers

Jags
Steelers
panthers

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 09:45 AM by Jags.)

Quote:
(10-28-2019, 06:33 AM)Jags Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 07:35 PM)Jags Wrote: 12-10 coming in.

Have to go with all the home teams here.

Jags (although the cynical part of me wants to take the jets and hope to win/lose accordingly)
Clots
Tacks
Horns.

Hypothetically speaking, if one like myself misses a week, ties in the wins but has one less loss...who wins?  Or are we just going by the number of wins?

16-10.
16-10 so far. This week:

Colts
panthers
Tinhorns.  
Kind of confusing go I quoted it.  
16-10 coming in
This week
Tinhorns
Panthers 
Colts