Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan interview about stadium and future

https://www.jaguars.com/news/khan-talks-...mg52-c3s9Y

Some interesting bits. Sounds like they want to stay but need to increase the revenue.

“This has been like a 50-year objective in Jacksonville to do something downtown,” Khan said Saturday morning at the Dorchester Hotel in London. “We are as anxious as anyone to break this curse and get something going.”

But then this

[font=NotoSerif]"What’s driven this for us is we want to give the community a different experience,” Khan said. “Obviously football … there is a limited demand for it. That’s why we’re playing the games here in London -- that the community can't support selling out eight games, so maybe there's something else we can do there for the hot-dog vendors, the hotel rooms, all the stakeholders who make a living off the game."[/font]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They should forget about the downtown stuff and instead work on a plan to put up a dome stadium. Maybe tear down regency mall and put it there. Plenty of room going to nothing and the city could put all that parking lot space to use.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2019, 07:49 PM by JagsorDie.)

When he says things that are critical of the city while offering solutions that involve other locations, it will never sit well with some people. I understand the truth in what he is saying but he has to know there could be blow back from certain comments. I don’t see this as putting any sort of confidence in the people in Jacksonville.

I guess what I am saying is I felt better about my team in my town before reading that article.

Not quite the sky falling stuff but also not reassuring.

(11-02-2019, 06:49 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: When he says things that are critical of the city while offering solutions that involve other locations, it will never sit well with some people. I understand the truth in what he is saying but he has to know there is could be blow back from certain comments. I don’t see this as putting any sort of confidence in the people in Jacksonville.

I guess what I am saying is I felt better about my team in my town before reading that article.

I think he's being honest from where he sits but yeah, it's not necessarily confidence inspiring but I guess it's better than getting fed a line of bull about the situation. It sounds to me like he does want the team to stay put and he's doing everything he can to make that happen. The reality is not something that Jag fan wants to hear but the ticket prices revenue must continue to increase (meaning prices and attendance) and the corporate support needs to continue to strengthen.

By the way, those are things most of the small market teams have in common.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Honestly other owners might force his had as well. We will see what happens with the CBA but I have a feeling the big markets are going to try to move away from league think.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I don’t see anything negative in that article. He’s looking to break ground on a major project and wants to expand the public use for the stadium space. Give the vendors and folks who make a living off of the stadiums use more events to make money on.

Everywhere you look most live sporting events are down. A lot of professional sports are looking at new ways to provide experiences unique to the venue.

(11-02-2019, 07:23 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 06:49 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: When he says things that are critical of the city while offering solutions that involve other locations, it will never sit well with some people. I understand the truth in what he is saying but he has to know there is could be blow back from certain comments. I don’t see this as putting any sort of confidence in the people in Jacksonville.

I think he's being honest from where he sits but yeah, it's not necessarily confidence inspiring but I guess it's better than getting fed a line of bull about the situation. It sounds to me like he does want the team to stay put and he's doing everything he can to make that happen. The reality is not something that Jag fan wants to hear but the ticket prices revenue must continue to increase (meaning prices and attendance) and the corporate support needs to continue to strengthen.

This is it. I want the team to stay but its tough to say to a businessman that you can earn more elsewhere. Money talks sadly nowadays. And then comments like this.

Lamping added that 2020 remains a key year for the franchise in terms of local revenue. The Jaguars long have moved to get out of the bottom quarter of the NFL in that category, and Lamping on Saturday noted that three teams currently also in the bottom quartile in those rankings – the Los Angeles Rams, Los Angeles Chargers and Oakland Raiders – are scheduled to move into new stadiums in 2020.

A few other things Khan spoke about.

On Ramsey
“We want to have players who are committed to the Jacksonville Jaguars, who can help us win,” Khan said. “If not, we want to get fair value out of that.”

On Yannick 
Khan said he doesn’t expect Ramsey’s departure to affect Ngakoue’s situation.

“I don’t think that impacts that,” Khan said. “We’ve had we thought a very, very good offer [to Ngakoue this past offseason]. But I think Yannick is a great player. Our goal is we want him to be part of the team.”

On Minshew 
“For me, we were not getting out of this draft … I didn’t care if we took a quarterback in the first round,” Khan said. “We needed somebody. That’s something in the six prior years of my tenure we just had not been able to get done – which is have a competent backup.

“The phrase I used with [Executive Vice President of Football Operations] Tom [Coughlin] and [Head Coach] Doug [Marrone] was, ‘Where’s our Nick Foles, who God forbid if something happens is going to come in and help us?’ … I told them, ‘We’re taking a quarterback who if God forbid something happens is going to give us a fighting chance. You guys tell me which round, value, blah, blah, blah.’”

(11-02-2019, 07:52 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: A few other things Khan spoke about.

On Ramsey
“We want to have players who are committed to the Jacksonville Jaguars, who can help us win,” Khan said. “If not, we want to get fair value out of that.”

On Yannick 
Khan said he doesn’t expect Ramsey’s departure to affect Ngakoue’s situation.

“I don’t think that impacts that,” Khan said. “We’ve had we thought a very, very good offer [to Ngakoue this past offseason]. But I think Yannick is a great player. Our goal is we want him to be part of the team.”

On Minshew 
“For me, we were not getting out of this draft … I didn’t care if we took a quarterback in the first round,” Khan said. “We needed somebody. That’s something in the six prior years of my tenure we just had not been able to get done – which is have a competent backup.

“The phrase I used with [Executive Vice President of Football Operations] Tom [Coughlin] and [Head Coach] Doug [Marrone] was, ‘Where’s our Nick Foles, who God forbid if something happens is going to come in and help us?’ … I told them, ‘We’re taking a quarterback who if God forbid something happens is going to give us a fighting chance. You guys tell me which round, value, blah, blah, blah.’”

I am glad he is involved in some of the personnel information. He seems more than financially invested. It tells me the man is more than a bean counting business man. It may mean he has an emotional investment in Jacksonville and concern himself with his legacy in the city. 

However, someone should inform him we found our Nick Foles, which is Nick Foles, backing up starting quarterback Minshew. Ha!

Pretty pathetic to say the local fans can't support 8 home games

(11-02-2019, 07:23 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

He's the owner, if he wants it to happen, all he has to do is say "We're not moving".
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

But, what about those sketches of all those nice buildings around the stadium and on the shipyard grounds. Guess it was just a dream. Kind of figured it was too good to be true.

(11-02-2019, 10:28 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 07:23 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I think he's being honest from where he sits but yeah, it's not necessarily confidence inspiring but I guess it's better than getting fed a line of bull about the situation. It sounds to me like he does want the team to stay put and he's doing everything he can to make that happen. The reality is not something that Jag fan wants to hear but the ticket prices revenue must continue to increase (meaning prices and attendance) and the corporate support needs to continue to strengthen.

He's the owner, if he wants it to happen, all he has to do is say "We're not moving".

He's a smart guy. He's playing both sides as long as possible as it makes him money and creates leverage for a new stadium. 

Now you can argue that A) He doesn't need extra money and playing in London hurts the citys perception more than the money helps and B) he doesn't need much more leverage to force a new stadium. 

The formula to keeping the team is Jacksonville is fairly simple - field a competitive team for a few years in a row!

Majority of people live paycheck to paycheck and are not going to spend money on a team that's had 1 winning season in the past 11 years.

Jaguars will be gone within 10 years. All about $$$

(11-02-2019, 10:50 PM)tyus Wrote: Majority of people live paycheck to paycheck and are not going to spend money on a team that's had 1 winning season in the past 11 years.

Yup, Jacksonville is pretty much a poor ghetto city.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2019, 11:03 PM by Corriewf.)

(11-02-2019, 10:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: Pretty pathetic to say the local fans can't support 8 home games

Is it not true? Jag home games are rough to watch on tv....soooomany empty seats.

(11-02-2019, 10:50 PM)tyus Wrote: Majority of people live paycheck to paycheck and are not going to spend money on a team that's had 1 winning season in the past 11 years.

Very true... who wants to see a group that loses a bunch. 

BUT fans who are local need to try and go to a game or two per year or face losing their team. It IS all about money. There are other cities out there that people will show up win or lose.

(11-02-2019, 10:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: Pretty pathetic to say the local fans can't support 8 home games

I missed the part where season tickets holders don't get charged for the "home" game that isn't played here.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-02-2019, 11:01 PM)Corriewf Wrote:

Is it not true? Jag home games are rough to watch on tv....soooomany empty seats.

In addition to empty,  half of the people in attendance are wearing the opponent's apparel.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2019, 11:12 PM by JackCity.)

(11-02-2019, 11:01 PM)Corriewf Wrote:

It's a really lazy comment which hides the most important part of that statement.  

Jacksonville won't support 8 home games of a team with 1 good season in a decade +  and nor should it. 

Implying that it is somehow the home fans fault the Jags have been woefully inept during Khan's era is trash. And also the last Jags "home game" in London the stadium was 75% Eagles fans.

(11-02-2019, 11:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I missed the part where season tickets holders don't get charged for the "home" game that isn't played here.

The home game that isn't played there and barely has a majority jags crowd in London too lol

Just cover the damn stadium or built a smaller dome. I've been going to games since 2005 and it's becoming unbearable. I sit in 104 and don't remember one year in last 5-6 where someone hasn't been take out due to heat exhaustion. One older gentleman that sits in couple seats away and has been there ever since I've known had a heat stroke while back and hasn't been back since...

Not trying to whine, but I don't come to games anymore til November.
[Image: giphy.gif]