Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan interview about stadium and future

I barely follow sports anymore. I guess as I have gotten older, I just don't care about it with the passion from the past. I love the Jaguars and have very fond memories but when you look at it they are honeymoon memories. The team started out strong and then fizzled along for so long. As I have moved to keep employment, it has been interesting to see sports in other cities. I spent 6 years in St Louis and it was an obvious baseball town. The Blues had strong attendance and a rich history that paid off last year but overall the NHL went through a really rough spot.

Stadium attendance is down across the board. When I watch other games, the stadiums around the league have empty spots everywhere. Does anyone really believe the new LA Stadium is going to stay filled year after year? These owners are in for trouble.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-03-2019, 09:02 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The bigger question is from where would Jacksonville get the replacement should Shad move the team? 

Would that even be possible/feasible?

How long would it take?

We wouldn't. The NFL will never award another "small market". It's not the 90s anymore.

I am however tired of this carrot being dangled in front of our faces on an annual basis around London time as a scare tactic. 

At the end of the day, the city existed before Shad Khan got here and is home to one of the best golf courses in the entire world and a good climate. I stopped losing sleep a decade ago about this team moving.

I don't think Khan is doing anything as a scare tactic.

People in Jacksonville couldn't possibly think their hometown NFL franchise doesn't have to be economically viable.

We can't think revenue derived from stadiums, etc. isn't important.

The Jaguars originally signed a 30 year lease to play in Jacksonville.

We are halfway through year 25.  The fact is, it's time to start thinking about a new venue, or at least major renovations to the current one.  Actually past time.

Think about Tampa.

Tampa stadium opened circa 1976.  They replaced it with Raymond James Stadium, their current facility, in 1998.  Age at replacement:  22-23 years.

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/TampaB.../index.htm

Atlanta opened the Georgia Dome in 1992.  They replace it with Mercedes Benz stadium in 2017.  Age at replacement:  25 years.
http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/Atlant.../index.htm

The Houston Astrodome opened in 1965.  At age 30, it was obsolete.  Houston did not replace it and the Oilers moved to Tennessee and became the tacks.  Houston finally built the new stadium, and it opened in 2002.

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/Housto.../index.htm

St. Louis opened Busch stadium in 1966.  By 1988-22 years later, one of its primary tenants, the football Cardinals, found it obsolete, and they moved to Arizona.  They wound up opening the TWA dome in 1995.  But due to stadium issues, the Rams relocated to Los Angeles in 2016-Some 20 years later.

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/St.Lou.../index.htm

Seattle opened the Kingdome in 1976.  They replaced it by 2002-26 years later.

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/Seattl...windex.htm

It's pointless to try to paint Khan as some sort of villain here.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 11:10 AM by Firesky.)

The lease is through 2029 I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 11:12 AM by SeldomRite.)

(11-03-2019, 11:10 AM)Firesky Wrote: The lease is through 2029 I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet.

That doesn't really matter, unless the penalty for breaking the lease is 9+ figures it doesn't mean anything compared to the value increase the franchise will get from moving to a larger market.

Sick of hearing how this stadium doesn't sell out. How many in the NFL do?

(11-03-2019, 11:27 AM)shadowjag01 Wrote: Sick of hearing how this stadium doesn't sell out. How many in the NFL do?

Less than half

About 10 or 11 stadiums

Washington, Tampa and cincy are the only three that fill a lower percentage of their seats and four teams sell a lower average number of tickets.

Unless they cover the stadium with a roof, most people would rather watch a game from the comfort of their own living room.

The Jags aren’t good enough to sell out every game. But this Minshew kid might change that. It will be the house that Minshew Mania built.

We buy season tickets every year, but to be honest my mom and dad are afraid of downtown. They are afraid of the homeless people and they are afraid to park their vehicles.

The stadium is not very inviting and it’s out dated. The swimming pools were a cool addition but that ain’t getting my parents off the couch to drive 30 minutes to a pro football game, pay $20 for a drink, stand in line, walk up the ramp to the nose bleed section, sit in the 99 degree sun for 3 hours, walk back down the ramp and another mile to their vehicle, fight traffic for an hour on the way home, and spend around $100.

They would rather sit home and watch it in tv.

I believe if the front office learned how to put a winning product on the field along with what Khan is trying to do but if the teams can't win, its hard for the people to support the vision/plan

The thing is it's so many things to factor. The are a number of reasons for fans to not attend games. Ticket prices, TV coverage, weather, opposition, plus the league is struggling with penalties and rules and that's affecting the popularity and peoples willingness to buy tickets and go to the effort of attending. I like Khan, I dont think hes only motivated by money but he is a businessman. 

One thing I will say I think the team and NFL are getting really wrong with the London games and moving a team. The UK fans already have teams they follow. Look at the fans, its jerseys of all teams. Fans go for the NFL experience, that's why you dont get the 'home' crowd. Plus tickets are sold for all the London games so some will be buying them but not for us. Fans like being able to watch different teams and if it's a team a fan supports it's a bonus. The idea that 80,000 fans are going to turn up and watch the Jags 4-8 times a year is fantasy. But as they sell out 4 games now they think its the same.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 06:59 PM by surfon.)

For about the last time in this argument its the tv revenue nfl teams survive on not game revenue, hell dont all concession and parking revenue go to the city not the team.

The diiff in revenu for say ten thousand unsold seats at what lets say average of 65 bucks a pop is 650,000 s that 7 times a year is what around 4.5 million. So thats the diff in us keeping a team? I call bs on that.

The tv revenue was 274 million per team last year. So ticket sales are really peanuts. So sick of hearing about it.

Btw i dont think we are 10k tix shy a game.

This is from investopedia.
Ticket Sales and Concessions
Although ticket sales constitute an important revenue stream for individual NFL teams, they are nonetheless relatively small compared to quickly growing revenue from TV deals (you’re probably noticing a pattern here). On average, NFL stadiums seat about 70,000 people, and games usually sell out. This doesn’t leave much opportunity for growth. The average ticket price has increased about 7% annually since the turn of the century. Tickets cost about $30 in 2000 to about $102 in 2017, but the added revenue from these increases are negligible when compared to revenue growth from TV.

Also our revenue per year is not that bad.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1935...s-in-2010/

I'm sure others here watched the tacks-panthers end.
Their stadium wasn't all that full at all....and they have a good record at 5-3.
We do need to either come up with some sort of cover though
or build a new dome. The old Regency property would be ideal.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(11-04-2019, 09:43 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: I'm sure others here watched the tacks-panthers end.
Their stadium wasn't all that full at all....and they have a good record at 5-3.
We do need to either come up with some sort of cover though
or build a new dome. The old Regency property would be ideal.

What good does moving a stadium 5 miles really do you though?  

I think keeping it by the river and the proposed developments there is the wise move. 

Like everyone else, I do think the first two months of the season are going to be tough sells for a portion of our base without some sort of shade.  I think simply adding some shaded seating areas in certain sections during each offseason over the next few years could be enough really. 

I don't see any advantage of moving from downtown though.

Regency bad idea, too many poor folks. Should build the new dome stadium to the east of the 9B highway by Nocatee. Plenty of land there. That's where all the rich folks live and can afford to blow their income on season tickets.

(11-03-2019, 12:43 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Unless they cover the stadium with a roof, most people would rather watch a game from the comfort of their own living room.

The Jags aren’t good enough to sell out every game. But this Minshew kid might change that. It will be the house that Minshew Mania built.

We buy season tickets every year, but to be honest my mom and dad are afraid of downtown. They are afraid of the homeless people and they are afraid to park their vehicles.

The stadium is not very inviting and it’s out dated. The swimming pools were a cool addition but that ain’t getting my parents off the couch to drive 30 minutes to a pro football game, pay $20 for a drink, stand in line, walk up the ramp to the nose bleed section, sit in the 99 degree sun for 3 hours, walk back down the ramp and another mile to their vehicle, fight traffic for an hour on the way home, and spend around $100.

They would rather sit home and watch it in tv.

They don't have to park downtown.  There is a shuttle from several outlying areas.  I take the one from the Convention Center.  It's very convenient.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 10:43 AM by TJBender.)

(11-04-2019, 10:05 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Regency bad idea, too many poor folks.  Should build the new dome stadium to the east of the 9B highway by Nocatee.  Plenty of land there.   That's where all the rich folks live and can afford to blow their income on season tickets.

And we come back to the same question: if I'm Shad Khan, why would I spend millions of dollars investing in downtown then move my stadium to the ghetto? And the Regency ghetto is the only viable location outside of downtown because, let's be real, Nocatee and Mandarin folks would lose their [BLEEP] if you told them that a stadium was being placed in their backyard, along with all the game day traffic nightmares that entails.

(11-02-2019, 10:58 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Yup, Jacksonville is pretty much a poor ghetto city.

Coming from the person with a 32277 zip code

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 11:24 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(11-04-2019, 10:05 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Regency bad idea, too many poor folks.  Should build the new dome stadium to the east of the 9B highway by Nocatee.  Plenty of land there.   That's where all the rich folks live and can afford to blow their income on season tickets.

Yes, because all the big money resides in downtown Jacksonville.

House poor people live in Nocatee. Rich people live in Ponte Vedra (where you can smell water). Nocatee has this perception of being a great place, but in reality its a bunch of overpriced poorly built homes with 60 foot zero lot lines.

(11-03-2019, 08:07 AM)rufftime Wrote: I would be more than willing to send London a preseason game.  See how they support that trash product.

Exactly.  They noted on the radio this morning that 2 regular season home games could be allotted to London (purely speculation at this point).  That would give us 2 garbage preseason games and 6 home games --- I'd imagine that would be the end of us here as a large portion of our Season Ticket Holders would defer purchase on the 6:2 ratio.

I really don't understand the interest in building a new city in a new location. Didn't Kahn and the city just spend 100 million dollars to upgrade it? What about Daily's Place and the indoor training facility? Do those things just go away? And what about Lot J?

My guess is that because Kahn is so interested in downtown development, he'd want to keep the stadium downtown.

(11-04-2019, 11:40 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I really don't understand the interest in building a new city in a new location. Didn't Kahn and the city just spend 100 million dollars to upgrade it?  What about Daily's Place and the indoor training facility? Do those things just go away?  And what about Lot J?

My guess is that because Kahn is so interested in downtown development, he'd want to keep the stadium downtown.

If it stays downtown then it stays the same. Downtown is gone and it's not coming back, the City Council will see to that.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato