Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan interview about stadium and future

(11-03-2019, 12:43 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Unless they cover the stadium with a roof, most people would rather watch a game from the comfort of their own living room.

The Jags aren’t good enough to sell out every game. But this Minshew kid might change that. It will be the house that Minshew Mania built.

We buy season tickets every year, but to be honest my mom and dad are afraid of downtown. They are afraid of the homeless people and they are afraid to park their vehicles.

The stadium is not very inviting and it’s out dated. The swimming pools were a cool addition but that ain’t getting my parents off the couch to drive 30 minutes to a pro football game, pay $20 for a drink, stand in line, walk up the ramp to the nose bleed section, sit in the 99 degree sun for 3 hours, walk back down the ramp and another mile to their vehicle, fight traffic for an hour on the way home, and spend around $100.

They would rather sit home and watch it in tv.

I am not picking on you or singling you out, but your post begs the question of exactly what it needs to be "very inviting."

For a fanbase that is supposedly so passionate about football, we (not you)_ do a lot of complaining about the stadium.

A lot.

Cupholders.

Escalators.

On and on and on.

Does anyone remember what the old Gator Bowl was like before the NFL awarded us the Jaguars?

I don't recall any of these complaints when the Bulls played here and stadium had bleachers. 

Yeah...bleachers. 

Not even with back rests.  No Cupholders or escalators.  Video boards?  Club seats?  Pffft!

The bathrooms were literally piss troughs.

People still merrily filled the stadium for Fla-Georgia.

Had the Jaguars not come to town, the stadium renovations would have been a fraction of what they were to transform the stadium into Jacksonville Municipal Stadium.

Okay...it gets hot at the stadium and it could pose a health risk if it gets too hot.

But cold weather poses a health risk too, and there are plenty of outdoor cold weather cities that don't have domed climate controlled stadiums who support the team.  Heck given the snow that often is there, it takes even more of an effort to get to the stadium in cold weather, whether the stadiums are domed or not.

Forget putting a stadium in the suburbs.  People won't want the traffic, the noise, the litter, the drunkenness in their neighborhoods.  Besides, Khan is putting a ton of money into downtown.  Or is trying to.

So what's it going to take to make the stadium inviting?

Does First Baptist need to set up a stadium campus?  They've owned/controlled virtually all of downtown for decades, and downtown isn't any more desirable a destination.

Red carpets and rose bearers for all fans?!?

Massages?

Lap dances?

Some..."Kraft" treatment?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-04-2019, 08:58 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 07:49 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: If Shad spends $200 million putting shades over the stadium, that will satisfy exactly nobody.  They will still complain about the 90-degree heat and 90% humidity.

As well they should. Atlanta has built two domes since the 90s, and the saints have a dome. Houston and Dallas both have domes, too. Thanks to global warming September Jags games are terrible. A dome stadium is pretty much a must have for the next major construction stage. Also time to dump the Florida Georgia game. Build a domed stadium the right size, 55k seats with tons of luxury suites.

Laughing

Well a dome would be cool, but I wonder how they would accommodate the FL-GA game with a 55k stadium, add on seats are cool but can they hit 80k+ like they do right now? Might have to take a hit for that game, I'm sure the UF and UGA fans won't like that, but it may also drive up the price of tickets. I think a part of struggling FL teams "selling out" games is the weather, which has always been bad early in the season. Its not something new from some hoax created by climate alarmists, its just hot in September. One thing fans won't want will be the ticket pricing for a new stadium, it's going to be nuts.

(11-05-2019, 04:09 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 08:58 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: As well they should. Atlanta has built two domes since the 90s, and the saints have a dome. Houston and Dallas both have domes, too. Thanks to global warming September Jags games are terrible. A dome stadium is pretty much a must have for the next major construction stage. Also time to dump the Florida Georgia game. Build a domed stadium the right size, 55k seats with tons of luxury suites.

Laughing

Well a dome would be cool, but I wonder how they would accommodate the FL-GA game with a 55k stadium, add on seats are cool but can they hit 80k+ like they do right now? Might have to take a hit for that game, I'm sure the UF and UGA fans won't like that, but it may also drive up the price of tickets. I think a part of struggling FL teams "selling out" games is the weather, which has always been bad early in the season. Its not something new from some hoax created by climate alarmists, its just hot in September. One thing fans won't want will be the ticket pricing for a new stadium, it's going to be nuts.

But if only 45k home fans need to buy tickets to sell out then it will be fine. And politics has a place on this board, but it's not here fellas, thanks.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-05-2019, 08:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 04:09 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Laughing

But if only 45k home fans need to buy tickets to sell out then it will be fine. And politics has a place on this board, but it's not here fellas, thanks.

If they raise ticket prices as a result of having fewer seats, we'll have the same attendance issues.

(11-04-2019, 11:23 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: House poor people live in Nocatee. Rich people live in Ponte Vedra (where you can smell water). Nocatee has this perception of being a great place, but in reality its a bunch of overpriced poorly built homes with 60 foot zero lot lines.

Bingo. I looked around Nocatee a few months back when I had the chance to move basically anywhere I wanted for work. I walked away with the definite feeling that anyone who paid $250K for a home there before things ramped up should sell, and anyone paying $350K for a home there now should get their head checked out for CTE.

(11-04-2019, 11:40 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I really don't understand the interest in building a new city in a new location. Didn't Kahn and the city just spend 100 million dollars to upgrade it? What about Daily's Place and the indoor training facility? Do those things just go away? And what about Lot J?

My guess is that because Kahn is so interested in downtown development, he'd want to keep the stadium downtown.

There's no new stadium in the Jaguars' immediate future. There's probably no stadium in the long-term future either unless it's privately financed, and if Khan's going to privately finance a stadium, it will be the purchase of Wembley Stadium. Real estate is a great investment. Khan knows this, and he knows that if he manages to resurrect downtown Jacksonville, who cares if there's an NFL team there? NFL teams do not make or break cities, but a successful downtown development plan that makes Khan a ton of money over the next 15 years will.

(11-04-2019, 12:00 PM)knarnn Wrote: We’re getting to the point where it’s just not safe anymore to go to 1pm kickoffs.

But I thought climate change was f...oh, never mind.

(11-04-2019, 11:26 PM)High Octane Wrote: What else do people there like doing?

Mostly meth.

Win. Or at the very least be competitive. That will put fans in seats.

(11-05-2019, 08:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: But if only 45k home fans need to buy tickets to sell out then it will be fine. And politics has a place on this board, but it's not here fellas, thanks.

If they raise ticket prices as a result of having fewer seats, we'll have the same attendance issues.

I disagree, even with higher prices we will support that number, especially if they fix the heat stroke issue. It's trying to get 68,000 together that is the problem.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2019, 08:28 PM by shadowjag01.)

Chargers Owner London response

Kinda wish the Jaguars owner would respond this way. I'm pretty sure we don't have their attendance problems.

(11-05-2019, 08:23 PM)shadowjag01 Wrote: Chargers Owner London response

Kinda wish the Jaguars owner would respond this way. I'm pretty sure we don't have their attendance problems.

Shad has no reason to deny London interest. As long as it gives him money and leverage he's going to talk through both sides of his mouth.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019, 09:35 AM by Mowerguy.)

Well, redeveloping downtown and having the Jaguars there ....hopefully with at least some sort of shade .....go hand in hand.
And to also say ....winning solves everything.
I think Khan needs to do a coaching upgrade.
A dynamic, upcoming , younger guy....that does something more than smack gum on the sidelines.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

To honest if we followed up 2017 with a stellar year and were around .500 right now again nobody would be having this discussion

(11-06-2019, 08:51 AM)JackCity Wrote: To honest if we followed up 2017 with a stellar year and were around .500 right now again nobody would be having this discussion

It's true.

We had at least three home games with really great Jags fan attendance in 2017 and there is zero coincidence between that and the team's winning ways.

(11-05-2019, 04:09 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 08:58 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: As well they should. Atlanta has built two domes since the 90s, and the saints have a dome. Houston and Dallas both have domes, too. Thanks to global warming September Jags games are terrible. A dome stadium is pretty much a must have for the next major construction stage. Also time to dump the Florida Georgia game. Build a domed stadium the right size, 55k seats with tons of luxury suites.

Laughing

I said it in the post you quoted, dump the Florida Georgia game, it's completely inconsequential compared to the future of the Jaguars.

Jacksonville needs to let go of trying to accommodate JV sports and move into being a real NFL City that makes decisions based on pro football, not based on one minor JV game a year

(11-06-2019, 08:51 AM)JackCity Wrote: To honest if we followed up 2017 with a stellar year and were around .500 right now again nobody would be having this discussion
1,000% agree.

Winning brings out everyone and their mother to games.

(11-06-2019, 09:28 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 04:09 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Laughing

I said it in the post you quoted, dump the Florida Georgia game, it's completely inconsequential compared to the future of the Jaguars.

Jacksonville needs to let go of trying to accommodate JV sports and move into being a real NFL City that makes decisions based on pro football, not based on one minor JV game a year

Pretty sure that game probably generates more revenue for the city than every home game combined for the Jaguars. You can't change a citys DNA.

(11-06-2019, 09:35 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 09:28 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I said it in the post you quoted, dump the Florida Georgia game, it's completely inconsequential compared to the future of the Jaguars.

Pretty sure that game probably generates more revenue for the city than every home game combined for the Jaguars. You can't change a citys DNA.

Well it's a huge moneymaker for the simple fact that you get a ton of out of towners flooding the city for the weekend.  It's not as though the game is filled with locals.  And Jags games bring basically nobody from out of town aside from maybe 5k from opposing fanbases.  My guess is a decent portion of opponents fans we see actually live here.  

I dont see why we cant have a successful Jags franchise combined with other big events, whether they be concerts or college football games.  Every other major NFL stadium seems to figure it out.

Winning will mask things, yes, but no team wins forever. The answer is not as simple as just winning.

(11-06-2019, 10:38 AM)Upper Wrote: Winning will mask things, yes, but no team wins forever. The answer is not as simple as just winning.

The team has had exactly three winning seasons in this century.  With the exception of 2017, the years under Khan have been exceptionally bad - like 3 or 4 wins a year bad. In most of those games, the Jaguars were out of the contest late in the first quarter.

I agree that no NFL team can expect to win consistently.  But is it too much to ask that the Jags not be so consistent at losing?

(11-06-2019, 10:58 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:38 AM)Upper Wrote: Winning will mask things, yes, but no team wins forever. The answer is not as simple as just winning.

The team has had exactly three winning seasons in this century.  With the exception of 2017, the years under Khan have been exceptionally bad - like 3 or 4 wins a year bad. In most of those games, the Jaguars were out of the contest late in the first quarter.

I agree that no NFL team can expect to win consistently.  But is it too much to ask that the Jags not be so consistent at losing?

Yeah - this "winning masks" bit is weak sauce. 

Most small market teams suffer attendance problems when they string together losing seasons.  We haven't had a sustained period of winning in so long, it's difficult to expect much more from our market unless we are in an uptick of on field performance. 

Hit the playoffs three out of four years and watch that 45K base of dedicated fans grow for several years to 55K. 

Extended droughts are trouble for the majority of teams' attendance and we've certainly had one - only briefly interrupted by one winning season.  That's not enough to shift the attendance for any extended period.

I actually believe the roughly 60,000 per game attendance over the years of supporting a bad team is very good. You want those extra 7,000 tickets sold? Start winning more consistently.