Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan interview about stadium and future

It's hard to truly quantify the damage a decade as bad as this does to a fanbase in terms of young fans becoming invested and casual fans taking the step to something more.

But as someone said on twitter the Jags now have gone through a generation of young people who only know the Jags as an awful Franchise.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-06-2019, 09:28 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 04:09 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Laughing

Well a dome would be cool, but I wonder how they would accommodate the FL-GA game with a 55k stadium, add on seats are cool but can they hit 80k+ like they do right now? Might have to take a hit for that game, I'm sure the UF and UGA fans won't like that, but it may also drive up the price of tickets. I think a part of struggling FL teams "selling out" games is the weather, which has always been bad early in the season. Its not something new from some hoax created by climate alarmists, its just hot in September. One thing fans won't want will be the ticket pricing for a new stadium, it's going to be nuts.

I said it in the post you quoted, dump the Florida Georgia game, it's completely inconsequential compared to the future of the Jaguars.

Jacksonville needs to let go of trying to accommodate JV sports and move into being a real NFL City that makes decisions based on pro football, not based on one minor JV game a year

I hate that game so much - and the whole week leading up to it.. never been to one, never will go to one.

(11-06-2019, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 08:51 AM)JackCity Wrote: To honest if we followed up 2017 with a stellar year and were around .500 right now again nobody would be having this discussion
1,000% agree.

Winning brings out everyone and their mother to games.

IIRC, attendance started to decline somewhere in 1999. Winning helps, but it's not a cure-all.

(11-06-2019, 11:44 AM)JackCity Wrote: It's hard to truly quantify the damage a decade as bad as this does to a fanbase in terms of young fans becoming invested and casual fans taking the step to something more.

But as someone said on twitter the Jags now have gone through a generation of young people who only know the Jags as an awful Franchise.

Yes, that's bad. We're also at a generation of young people who have yet to see the game day experience be better than the home experience. Winning is certainly part of the formula, arguably the largest, but it's still just one of a whole lot of reasons.

(11-06-2019, 11:57 AM)Upper Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 11:44 AM)JackCity Wrote: It's hard to truly quantify the damage a decade as bad as this does to a fanbase in terms of young fans becoming invested and casual fans taking the step to something more.

Yes, that's bad. We're also at a generation of young people who have yet to see the game day experience be better than the home experience. Winning is certainly part of the formula, arguably the largest, but it's still just one of a whole lot of reasons.

Game Day experience becomes pretty meaningless if the team is constantly bad. And vice versa if the team is winning consistently nobody really cares about the bad food or long lines.  

Winning is like 90% of the issue

(11-06-2019, 11:57 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: 1,000% agree.

IIRC, attendance started to decline somewhere in 1999. Winning helps, but it's not a cure-all.

The team's record also showed a similar decline since 1999.  I will say that 70k+ is not realistic for this market, with the exception of huge marquee games. But 62,000-65,000 with a competive team is realistic.

(11-06-2019, 12:06 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 11:57 AM)TJBender Wrote: IIRC, attendance started to decline somewhere in 1999. Winning helps, but it's not a cure-all.

The team's record also showed a similar decline since 1999.  I will say that 70k+ is not realistic for this market, with the exception of huge marquee games. But 62,000-65,000 with a competive team is realistic.

The number of tickets sold isn't really the issue.  It's the total take in dollars.  Nosebleeds in some cities sell for $200.  I don't know if Jacksonville will ever be able to match that kind of stadium revenue.  

We could sell 70,000 tickets easily if the average ticket price was $50.   But it's way above that.  Club seats are almost $400 PER GAME.

(11-06-2019, 08:04 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: Well, redeveloping downtown and having the Jaguars there ....hopefully with at least  some sort of shade .....go hand in hand.
And to also say ....winning solves everything.
I think Khad needs to do a coaching upgrade.
A dynamic, upcoming , younger guy....that does something more than smack gum on the sidelines.

[Image: DuV76oCX4AIxm1w.jpg]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Part of the problem is that we're a City of Champions but the Jags just haven't lived up to the reputation that the Jacksonville Sharks and Jacksonville Giants have built up with multiple championships each.

(11-06-2019, 01:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 08:04 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: Well, redeveloping downtown and having the Jaguars there ....hopefully with at least  some sort of shade .....go hand in hand.
And to also say ....winning solves everything.
I think Khad needs to do a coaching upgrade.
A dynamic, upcoming , younger guy....that does something more than smack gum on the sidelines.

[Image: DuV76oCX4AIxm1w.jpg]

^This guy. He gets it.

The poster, that is. Not the poster child for why you shouldn't have your brain removed and replaced with ice cream.

(11-06-2019, 01:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Part of the problem is that we're a City of Champions but the Jags just haven't lived up to the reputation that the Jacksonville Sharks and Jacksonville Giants have built up with multiple championships each.

Don't forget the Suns! It's only been a few years man.

(11-06-2019, 01:36 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [Image: DuV76oCX4AIxm1w.jpg]

^This guy. He gets it.

The poster, that is. Not the poster child for why you shouldn't have your brain removed and replaced with ice cream.

[Image: screen-shot-2016-11-28-at-4-55-22-pm-cop...600&crop=1]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Did someone say ice cream?

(11-06-2019, 01:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Part of the problem is that we're a City of Champions but the Jags just haven't lived up to the reputation that the Jacksonville Sharks and Jacksonville Giants have built up with multiple championships each.

Don't forget the Suns! It's only been a few years man.

Dang -- didn't even realize how successful the Suns were.  There's been so much winning that I can't keep track.  We get the Championships that Boston fans can only dream of.

Suns 6x
Giants 5x
Sharks 3x

(11-06-2019, 02:23 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Don't forget the Suns! It's only been a few years man.

Dang -- didn't even realize how successful the Suns were.  There's been so much winning that I can't keep track.  We get the Championships that Boston fans can only dream of.

Suns 6x
Giants 5x
Sharks 3x

One could say that baseball was never hotter...

(11-06-2019, 11:57 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: 1,000% agree.

Money matters too...  In 1999 we had one of the highest average ticket prices in the league, while having one of the lowest average income NFL cities in the country.  
People were required to sign 3 year contracts when purchasing season tix when the franchise started up.  When the first 3 years was up, folks may have felt they were being price-gouged compared to the rest of the league and didn't renew...  I know my folks did, but they didn't cancel their tix until they moved away.  When the team went downhill due to salary cap hell, many more folks bailed.  Ticket prices were reduced by Weaver until they were more in line with the economy of Jax, but we've pretty much sucked since then.

(11-06-2019, 01:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:06 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: The team's record also showed a similar decline since 1999.  I will say that 70k+ is not realistic for this market, with the exception of huge marquee games. But 62,000-65,000 with a competive team is realistic.

The number of tickets sold isn't really the issue.  It's the total take in dollars.  Nosebleeds in some cities sell for $200.  I don't know if Jacksonville will ever be able to match that kind of stadium revenue.  

We could sell 70,000 tickets easily if the average ticket price was $50.   But it's way above that.  Club seats are almost $400 PER GAME.

They talk about ticket revenue but the real differentiation is corporate sponsorships. Jax could sell out every game with a ticket prices much closer to league average and would still probably never be able to match the corporate revenue streams that big market or perennial winners have.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-06-2019, 05:23 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The number of tickets sold isn't really the issue.  It's the total take in dollars.  Nosebleeds in some cities sell for $200.  I don't know if Jacksonville will ever be able to match that kind of stadium revenue.  

They talk about ticket revenue but the real differentiation is corporate sponsorships. Jax could sell out every game with a ticket prices much closer to league average and would still probably never be able to match the corporate revenue streams that big market or perennial winners have.

That's true of all small market teams.

(11-06-2019, 09:28 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 04:09 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Laughing

Well a dome would be cool, but I wonder how they would accommodate the FL-GA game with a 55k stadium, add on seats are cool but can they hit 80k+ like they do right now? Might have to take a hit for that game, I'm sure the UF and UGA fans won't like that, but it may also drive up the price of tickets. I think a part of struggling FL teams "selling out" games is the weather, which has always been bad early in the season. Its not something new from some hoax created by climate alarmists, its just hot in September. One thing fans won't want will be the ticket pricing for a new stadium, it's going to be nuts.

I said it in the post you quoted, dump the Florida Georgia game, it's completely inconsequential compared to the future of the Jaguars.

Jacksonville needs to let go of trying to accommodate JV sports and move into being a real NFL City that makes decisions based on pro football, not based on one minor JV game a year

It would help if the Jags can consistently play at a pro-football level too

(11-06-2019, 05:23 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:26 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The number of tickets sold isn't really the issue.  It's the total take in dollars.  Nosebleeds in some cities sell for $200.  I don't know if Jacksonville will ever be able to match that kind of stadium revenue.  

Somehow it made news near Tampa but a large corporation is building its new HQ in Jax...maybe a sponsorship opportunity there?