Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan interview about stadium and future

(11-06-2019, 05:59 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 05:23 PM)hb1148 Wrote: They talk about ticket revenue but the real differentiation is corporate sponsorships. Jax could sell out every game with a ticket prices much closer to league average and would still probably never be able to match the corporate revenue streams that big market or perennial winners have.

Somehow it made news near Tampa but a large corporation is building its new HQ in Jax...maybe a sponsorship opportunity there?

Every little bit helps I'm sure but it's not so much about a local sponsorship here or there, its that the major revenue teams have large national and international exposure and huge out of market fan-bases. That's an area the Jags likely have a difficult time breaking into unless we win a Superbowl or something. Part of going to London is to expose the Jaguars brand to a larger market and gain opportunity to tap in to those markets. As someone mentioned, this is a challenge all the small market teams have and the disparity is probably getting worse over time. It's a reason that those teams might eventually outsource a home game to international venues on a regular basis in the future. At least, I suspect that's part of the long term ownership vision. 

When Shad talks about local football attendance/demand, I suspect it's more meaningful in terms of what it looks like on TV then what it means in terms of overall revenue. But that's just a guess.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

League think is gone and it is big market and legacy markets vs everyone else now. Here is Dallas, the stadium size and revenue is just as much about visiting fans as it is the home crowd. Jerry likes green a bunch of bunches. I would imagine that Vegas and the Raiders is going to be very similar. With Vegas a vacation touring spot, you will get other teams fans making a go of it.

I saw the rumors cooking up on the Chargers being talked about with London tagged on them. Doesn't make much sense to me but it does make sense that LA is a fickle market and supporting 2 teams is going to be an issue.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I'm an outsider so I have a little different perspective. Please don't beat me up and call me things, this is only what I've observed over 16 years of being a Jaguars ST holder.

- Seems like a lot of fans here (not here on the board but in Jax area) want the Gators-type 48-3 blowouts and can't understand or appreciate the beauty of a brutal 14-10 NFL game played in the mud or in adverse conditions.

- The St. Augustine Record (T-U spin-off I believe) devotes pages and pages of coverage to high school football and maybe a column to the Jaguars. Need I mention what they devote to the Gators? High school football? Really?

- On a Sunday Jags home game, there is very little in the paper, not even names and numbers of both teams. The days after there is very little about the game and what there is usually isn't worth reading. Media coverage is very lacking.

- Much of the media is, for lack of a better description, maybe not that professional or polished. Examples- Martineau, most everyone I hear on sports talk shows (so bad I don't listen anymore), Boselli (he's gotten a little better but not much), Searcy (I think he's the guy on the radio, isn't he?) is awful, even worse than Dan Fouts (the worst announcer of all time IMO).

- I always thought Sexton was a level above a high school announcer until I heard the current guy, Frangie, who is worse. Shadrick is about the only voice in town that's polished. Blasphemy alert: Fred Taylor sucks IMO, he's a mumbler and I can't hear half of what he says and now I don't even care. I just shut him off.

- The stadium is fine. The ticket prices are relatively cheap- the seats I sit in would be at least double where I come from. I don't buy anything inside the stadium, choosing instead to drink and eat before the game out in the parking lot. Oh ok, after the game too.

- September heat- yeah, that's a thing. Never used to bother me but the Chiefs and Saints games heat did get to me and I'm a little concerned with it.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

https://mobile.twitter.com/richeisen/sta...1925028864

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Rich asks him if there are any plans to move the jags to London, Shad replies "I think... No".

That "I think" is a bit scary.

(11-06-2019, 05:59 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 05:23 PM)hb1148 Wrote: They talk about ticket revenue but the real differentiation is corporate sponsorships. Jax could sell out every game with a ticket prices much closer to league average and would still probably never be able to match the corporate revenue streams that big market or perennial winners have.

Somehow it made news near Tampa but a large corporation is building its new HQ in Jax...maybe a sponsorship opportunity there?

I think that's referring to FIS. They're already based there, just moving into a new building and transferring 500 employees in.

(11-06-2019, 07:49 PM)JagJohn Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/richeisen/sta...1925028864

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Rich asks him if there are any plans to move the jags to London, Shad replies "I think... No".

I agree to an extent. I am also very critical for what he says when he talks about London. But I think this is taken a bit out of context.

Rich: “do you THINK you move a team to London”

Khan: “ I think no”

i think he was sort of repeating the question then answering. Then he continued his to say we have no plans to move a team to London.

Said they are far away from that... meaning it’s an option down the road.

Jags need to start winning the next few years.

(11-06-2019, 09:05 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 07:49 PM)JagJohn Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/richeisen/sta...1925028864

I agree to an extent. I am also very critical for what he says when he talks about London. But I think this is taken a bit out of context.

i think he was sort of repeating the question then answering. Then he continued his to say we have no plans to move a team to London.

Fair point. At the same time, it's far from an unequivocal "no".

(11-06-2019, 09:22 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 09:05 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: I agree to an extent. I am also very critical for what he says when he talks about London. But I think this is taken a bit out of context.

Fair point. At the same time, it's far from an unequivocal "no".
I agree. That’s what I have always said about his statements. Such as the one in the op article. When he is critical of the city while tossing around praise for solutions elsewhere it is obviously going raise concern.

Like has been before. He is the owner. He can come out and say “NO, we will not move the team.”. 

If he were to lead with that, he can pitch what ever ideas he wants following.

"...we need London to really have a stable franchise in Jacksonville."

I know he's said it before, but it merits repeating again: if a single game in London can bring in enough revenue to keep the Jaguars in Jacksonville, then what could eight games in London do for Khan's wallet?

I don't see how this team doesn't end up playing two home games per year in London in the near future, especially if Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder are more successful in sticking it to the small markets than they were ~10 years ago.

I wonder if the talk about reducing the preseason games from 4 to 2 isn't just to appease the fans...to be followed by everyone losing a home game per year and us losing two.

My thought isn't clear here, I apologize, but I am thinking that if we lose a second home game to London and still have to pay for 2 preseason games, then I'm done with this; OTOH, if they move that second home game to London but I have to pay for only 1 preseason game...that would be more palatable (but I think I would still be out).

Either way, I will still buy my spot in Tailgater's and party on out there.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019, 12:43 PM by The Real Marty.)

(11-07-2019, 12:19 PM)PF* Wrote: I wonder if the talk about reducing the preseason games from 4 to 2 isn't just to appease the fans...to be followed by everyone losing a home game per year and us losing two.

My thought isn't clear here, I apologize, but I am thinking that if we lose a second home game to London and still have to pay for 2 preseason games, then I'm done with this; OTOH, if they move that second home game to London but I have to pay for only 1 preseason game...that would be more palatable (but I think I would still be out).

Right now, Jaguars season ticket holders pay for 9 games, two of which are preseason games.  So, if there is one less preseason game, and one more regular season game, which is added to the one in London, making 2 London games, then season ticket holders would pay for 8 games, one of which is a preseason game.  

That seems better to me.  Paying for 7 regular season games plus 1 preseason game seems better than paying for 7 regular season games plus 2 preseason games.

(11-07-2019, 12:42 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 12:19 PM)PF* Wrote: I wonder if the talk about reducing the preseason games from 4 to 2 isn't just to appease the fans...to be followed by everyone losing a home game per year and us losing two.

Right now, Jaguars season ticket holders pay for 9 games, two of which are preseason games.  So, if there is one less preseason game, and one more regular season game, which is added to the one in London, making 2 London games, then season ticket holders would pay for 8 games, one of which is a preseason game.  

That seems better to me.  Paying for 7 regular season games plus 1 preseason game seems better than paying for 7 regular season games plus 2 preseason games.

Thanks, you clarified what I was getting at. One preseason and 7 regular season games would be OK (I was thinking 1+6) and would actually be an improvement over 2+7.

So if you want talk about attendance, you got a marquee matchup tonight of seattle and san fran. Division game both teams are damn good and san frans attendance looks pathetic. Its leaguewide.

(11-11-2019, 10:33 PM)surfon Wrote: So if you want talk about attendance, you got a marquee matchup tonight of seattle and san fran. Division game both teams are damn good and san frans attendance looks pathetic. Its leaguewide.
Attendance doesn't matter, tickets sold is what they care about.

But yes attendance is down league wide.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Down by how much? It's marginal, right?

(11-07-2019, 10:55 AM)TJBender Wrote: "...we need London to really have a stable franchise in Jacksonville."

I know he's said it before, but it merits repeating again: if a single game in London can bring in enough revenue to keep the Jaguars in Jacksonville, then what could eight games in London do for Khan's wallet?

I don't see how this team doesn't end up playing two home games per year in London in the near future, especially if Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder are more successful in sticking it to the small markets than they were ~10 years ago.

I think over-saturating the market would lead to half-empty stadiums in London, too.

When there are only 3 or four games all season, tickets will sell, especially when the participating teams are varied. That draws more fanbases to either travel, or buy in to see their team play.

I'd be interested to see how many fans are buying seats to multiple London games in a single season - Are they going just because it's football, and they love the live action? Or are we seeing more diverse fanbases buying single-game experiences, and if the same team played 2, 3 games in a year, even, would that fan be purchasing a ticket to all the games, or just pick their favorite opposing team and see their team once?

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 11:47 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(11-06-2019, 08:52 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 05:59 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Somehow it made news near Tampa but a large corporation is building its new HQ in Jax...maybe a sponsorship opportunity there?

I think that's referring to FIS. They're already based there, just moving into a new building and transferring 500 employees in.

Oh God No !!!  500 of those weird drunk Gasparilla Pirate Impersonators moving to Jax ???  

Arrr! Shiver me timbers! 

[Image: gaspar-pirates.jpg]

Losing this team is one of my biggest fears..

(11-12-2019, 10:15 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 10:55 AM)TJBender Wrote: "...we need London to really have a stable franchise in Jacksonville."

I think over-saturating the market would lead to half-empty stadiums in London, too.

When there are only 3 or four games all season, tickets will sell, especially when the participating teams are varied. That draws more fanbases to either travel, or buy in to see their team play.

I'd be interested to see how many fans are buying seats to multiple London games in a single season - Are they going just because it's football, and they love the live action? Or are we seeing more diverse fanbases buying single-game experiences, and if the same team played 2, 3 games in a year, even, would that fan be purchasing a ticket to all the games, or just pick their favorite opposing team and see their team once?

Common sense tells you it’s the novelty factor. 

It’s an event, for different fans and different people from all over the UK. 

But I truly don’t think if they had a team of their own, with 8 games a year, they’ll experience sustained success. Especially if the team functions like a normal expansion team and has some tough losing years before they win. Not to mention competition for focus and the almighty pound with soccer (although I must confess, I don’t know exactitudes of soccer scheduling? Is it year round? Does it have a defined season? Will that season coincide with football?) 

We here were spoiled by early success with the Jags which was the exception not the rule for expansion teams. I just don’t think it will work in London