Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pro Cop flag BANNED at Police Station

Is this who we are now? 

"A county executive in Maryland has banned a police station from displaying a wooden “thin blue line” flag that was a gift from a local resident."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/maryland-coun...g-divisive

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 12:36 PM by The Drifter.)

It's in Montgomery County, they're bass ackwards down there

https://www.foxnews.com/us/maryland-coun...g-divisive
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

The whole point of having National flags and state flags is that they are symbols that we can all agree on and attach only good feelings to.
If you put out a variation of the national flag, by definition, You are attaching your own views to what the country is or should be and you should not be surprised when some people don't like your variation.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-03-2019, 12:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: The whole point of having National flags and state flags is that they are symbols that we can all agree on and attach only good feelings to.
If you put out a variation of the national flag, by definition, You are attaching your own views to what the country is or should be and you should not be surprised when some people don't like your variation.

There is no such thing.

(11-03-2019, 12:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: The whole point of having National flags and state flags is that they are symbols that we can all agree on and attach only good feelings to.

The thin blue line and thin red line simply represent the police and fire department. That's it. Whether in an American flag or on bumper stickers cops and firefighters can place on their POVs, that's literally all it means. There is no backhanded message unless certaun people want there to be one, but they're the type to be offended no matter what.

(11-03-2019, 08:12 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

The thin blue line and thin red line simply represent the police and fire department. That's it. Whether in an American flag or on bumper stickers cops and firefighters can place on their POVs, that's literally all it means. There is no backhanded message unless certaun people want there to be one, but they're the type to be offended no matter what.

In your mind, the blue line flag is a simply a tribute to cops. But that flag never opened its mouth and said that to you.  No city, state, or federal government has written any law explaining what it means. Your interpretation is plausible. But considering how recently this flag was invented, and what was in the National conversation at that time, the interpretation that the flag means "tamir Rice got what was coming to him" is also plausible.

(11-03-2019, 09:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:12 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The thin blue line and thin red line simply represent the police and fire department. That's it. Whether in an American flag or on bumper stickers cops and firefighters can place on their POVs, that's literally all it means. There is no backhanded message unless certaun people want there to be one, but they're the type to be offended no matter what.

In your mind, the blue line flag is a simply a tribute to cops. But that flag never opened its mouth and said that to you.  No city, state, or federal government has written any law explaining what it means. Your interpretation is plausible. But considering how recently this flag was invented, and what was in the National conversation at that time, the interpretation that the flag means "tamir Rice got what was coming to him" is also plausible.

As she said, only in the minds of those who want to be offended.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-03-2019, 09:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: In your mind, the blue line flag is a simply a tribute to cops. But that flag never opened its mouth and said that to you.  No city, state, or federal government has written any law explaining what it means. Your interpretation is plausible. But considering how recently this flag was invented, and what was in the National conversation at that time, the interpretation that the flag means "tamir Rice got what was coming to him" is also plausible.

As she said, only in the minds of those who want to be offended.

How do you know they want to be offended? You read minds? I guess it's more plausible that you can read minds than it is for someone to be sure they know what a flag means, just by looking at it. 
At least other people have thoughts that you could read, if you were telepathic.
But a telepathic person could stand in front of a flag all day long and never read one thought coming off of that piece of fabric.

(11-03-2019, 10:17 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: As she said, only in the minds of those who want to be offended.

How do you know they want to be offended? You read minds? I guess it's more plausible that you can read minds than it is for someone to be sure they know what a flag means, just by looking at it. 
At least other people have thoughts that you could read, if you were telepathic.
But a telepathic person could stand in front of a flag all day long and never read one thought coming off of that piece of fabric.

I know they want to be offended because the choose to take offense at something non-offensive. Being offended is a choice, nothing more.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-03-2019, 08:12 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The thin blue line and thin red line simply represent the police and fire department. That's it. Whether in an American flag or on bumper stickers cops and firefighters can place on their POVs, that's literally all it means. There is no backhanded message unless certaun people want there to be one, but they're the type to be offended no matter what.

Dude, the blue line and the red line LITERALLY MEAN, as in it designates them as police and firefighters. No interpretation at all. I was married to one so I would actually know what I'm talking about. 

But you go ahead and think what you want. People are going to associate what they choose. That doesn't mean they're right.

Calling it the “blue line flag”, lol.  You can’t get it’s name right but you’re going tell us its offensive.  Awesome.

The naivety in this post is strong. Like most all of your posts. Maybe you should try these types of forums in another tens years or so.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Well at least you guys have moved on from crying about a private company deciding not to put a flag on a shoe

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 11:11 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

So, if we can alter our flag, perhaps it would be ok for the Mayor of Jacksonville to raise our USA flag with an embedded pic of MLK atop City Hall.

My point is that altering our flag sets a precedence.  There are many other ways to pay tribute to our fallen heroes

The cost of a free society is to risk being offensive.

WOW

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 11:48 AM by mikesez.)

(11-04-2019, 10:12 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
The naivety in this post is strong. Like most all of your posts. Maybe you should try these types of forums in another tens years or so.

I think it's naive to say that you can create your own variant of a 230 year old design and insist that only one interpretation of your design is possible. 

I also don't think "offended" is the right word for people who object to that flag being there. A lot of people wouldn't give it a second thought... Until they see it on government property.  If it's just on the back of a truck, they feel free to ignore it.  If a new flag is displayed at a government building, it means their government is trying to send a new message to them... but what is the message?  I've been in forums for rap music and I don't recall anyone wanting to discuss the meaning of the album cover for Outkast's Stankonia.  But if you saw that same flag variant flying over your nearest police station, what would you think it meant?  Everyone would have their own, different thought about it.

(11-04-2019, 11:18 AM)jj82284 Wrote: The cost of a free society is to risk being offensive.

Sure.  Go ahead and be offensive on your own tailgate or bumper. On your own t-shirt or website.

Not on government property, though.

It is not even a flag. It is a wooden plaque built in the image of our flag and it was being displayed as a piece of artwork. If I take a damn picture of a flag is that picture now a flag? It is not utilized as an American flag therefore commands none of the honors, responsibilities or demand of policy that surround a nations flag.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 07:12 PM by americus 2.0.)

(11-04-2019, 11:10 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: So, if we can alter our flag, perhaps it would be ok for the Mayor of Jacksonville to raise our USA flag with an embedded pic of MLK atop City Hall.

My point is that altering our flag sets a precedence.  There are many other ways to pay tribute to our fallen heroes
It's a piece of wood. Most folks have them in their homes. Some have them as stickers on their vehicles. It's not like they sewed up a real flag with the alternate color and hoisted it up a flag pole. The second that starts happening is when I'll have a problem with it.

(11-04-2019, 12:01 PM)Jagwired Wrote: It is not even a flag. It is a wooden plaque built in the image of our flag and it was being displayed as a piece of artwork. If I take a damn picture of a flag is that picture now a flag?  It is not utilized as an American flag therefore commands none of the honors, responsibilities or demand of policy that surround a nations flag.

Exactly.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 07:49 PM by Jags.)

I’ve got zero issue with the Thin Blue Line or the Thin red line.  No one had issue with the “old” F.O.P. Stickers or metal ones on the back of cars.  No one had issues with the Thin Blue Line stickers that have seemed to replace it.  The ONLY issue I can have with the flag is that they (whoever is responsible) changed our nations flag to the fire/law enforcement emblems.  How upset am I?  Idk.  It’s a pretty bad [BLEEP] flag to be honest.  But taking flag etiquette into the equation, I can see “Patriots” being upset about changing the flag.  I can not however, be upset about the message.  I know wearing the American Flag is poor etiquette.  Having said that, I’ll rock American Flag face shields at work.  So I can’t get too upset about that. I even asked my dad, a retired LEO and Veteran about it.  His thought was about the same as mine.  Not too sure about changing the flag but the meaning of it is innocent.  But to say that it is offensive, that’s just ignorant.