Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
London Loss Thoughts (merged threads)

Can someone who is criticizing the offensive playcalling explain what specifically they have a problem with? I will never rewatch this travesty, so I will only have my initial impression. This one looked to be mostly on the rookie QB to me.

When I watched, it looks like GM kept getting beat with good interior pressure and containment. He couldn’t take that middle lane and extend the play or run for it. As a result, he tended to throw really inaccurate passes with poor footwork. Ironically this strategy would get a defense destroyed by Foles.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 09:03 AM by The Real Marty.)

Pat the dog, hug the wife, go to the beach, play golf, go shopping, mow the lawn, pull some weeds, watch your favorite TV show, and let it go.

I was thinking, the difference between us and the Texans is that the Texans have gone all in, trading away lots of draft picks for players in an effort to finish building their team.  The Jags have 2 first round draft picks for the next two years.  The Texans' future is now.  Our future is in the future.

I was there yesterday and although my knowledge is nowhere near close to majority of you fine chaps, I thought I would share a few simple Observations.

Our rush looked really good, from Yan through to Bryan. The latter I actually saw get triple teamed at one point and he was still applying pressure. Watson’s talent at scrambling was just better.

I usually support this WR team, but they did seem to struggle with separation and Conley dropped some critical balls.

Seth DeValve looked quite solid in pass catching. Why are we not seeing more of Oliver?

It looked as through we tried to play a lot of screens particularly WR screens. Most of them went for little to no yards...although we continued to play them. I thought we looked a little predictable, if I can pick out the play we are about to do then the other team definitely can!!

Minshew looked solid again. He looked as though he was doing what he was told to do. I think a lot of other team members let him down. However the last quarter was not good and I think the pressure got to him.

I love the UK games as it’s my only chance to see football live. And having adopted Jags as my team I love seeing them every year. However this being said, it’s rarely a home game like the Front Office make out. Jags popularity is growing in the U.K. but not to a level your going to get anywhere near the support you would do at a real home game in Duval. There was a lot of Texans fans who had travelled over. Until Jags have more success this won’t change and the fan base over here will be good for a foreign country but never that of Jacksonville itself. With that in mind, thinking as a fan that wants to see my team do well, is it the right thing to be having a critical divisional match up away from their real home.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 09:13 AM by JackCity.)

(11-04-2019, 09:09 AM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: I was there yesterday and although my knowledge is nowhere near close to majority of you fine chaps, I thought I would share a few simple Observations.

Our rush looked really good, from Yan through to Bryan. The latter I actually saw get triple teamed at one point and he was still applying pressure. Watson’s talent at scrambling was just better.

I usually support this WR team, but they did seem to struggle with separation and Conley dropped some critical balls.

Seth DeValve looked quite solid in pass catching. Why are we not seeing more of Oliver?

It looked as through we tried to play a lot of screens particularly WR screens. Most of them went for little to no yards...although we continued to play them. I thought we looked a little predictable, if I can pick out the play we are about to do then the other team definitely can!!

Minshew looked solid again. He looked as though he was doing what he was told to do. I think a lot of other team members let him down. However the last quarter was not good and I think the pressure got to him.

I love the UK games as it’s my only chance to see football live. And having adopted Jags as my team I love seeing them every year. However this being said, it’s rarely a home game like the Front Office make out. Jags popularity is growing in the U.K. but not to a level your going to get anywhere near the support you would do at a real home game in Duval. There was a lot of Texans fans who had travelled over. Until Jags have more success this won’t change and the fan base over here will be good for a foreign country but never that of Jacksonville itself. With that in mind, thinking as a fan that wants to see my team do well, is it the right thing to be having a critical divisional match up away from their real home.

Granted I thought the playcalling was bad and WRs played poorly but that wasn't a solid performance from Minshew at all imo

Look completely off his game Vs a good Texans gameplan

(11-04-2019, 07:51 AM)rufftime Wrote: Can someone who is criticizing the offensive playcalling explain what specifically they have a problem with?  I will never rewatch this travesty, so I will only have my initial impression.  This one looked to be mostly on the rookie QB to me.

When I watched, it looks like GM kept getting beat with good interior pressure and containment.  He couldn’t take that middle lane and extend the play or run for it.  As a result, he tended to throw really inaccurate passes with poor footwork.  Ironically this strategy would get a defense destroyed by Foles.

Let me preface in a couple of ways.

My thoughts are that the bulk of the blame for yesterday's performance lay at Minshew's feet.  HoweverI have no way of knowing exactly to what degree blame should be allocated between all parties.  To the extent I can discern designed plays that maybe should not have been called, I think there were a lot of quick short dump offs and quick hitting plays that were called.  Considering Watt was not playing, considering how banged up and bad their secondary is, that approach was mystifying.  Why not attack more downfield?

I have heard different things that could explain some of that.  I've heard Chark was being doubled for much of the game.  I have also heard the Texans played wildly conservative in the secondary. 

Nevertheless, it just seems to me that a defense as depleted as the Texans were would be ripe to be exploited by a competent passing attack.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-04-2019, 09:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Pat the dog, hug the wife, go to the beach, play golf, go shopping, mow the lawn, pull some weeds, watch your favorite TV show, and let it go.

I was thinking, the difference between us and the Texans is that the Texans have gone all in, trading away lots of draft picks for players in an effort to finish building their team.  The Jags have 2 first round draft picks for the next two years.  The Texans' future is now.  Our future is in the future.
The difference is Watson. I actually like the Jags RBs, WRs as a group, DLine, LBs and secondary more than the Texans but they have Watson. He trumps all.

(11-04-2019, 07:51 AM)rufftime Wrote: Can someone who is criticizing the offensive playcalling explain what specifically they have a problem with?  I will never rewatch this travesty, so I will only have my initial impression.  This one looked to be mostly on the rookie QB to me.

When I watched, it looks like GM kept getting beat with good interior pressure and containment.  He couldn’t take that middle lane and extend the play or run for it.  As a result, he tended to throw really inaccurate passes with poor footwork.  Ironically this strategy would get a defense destroyed by Foles.

When the all 22 tape is out I intend to sort through the first half and point out all of the times that we sent receivers downfield but the QB was unable to get the ball to them due to pressure, QB error or good coverage.

Because most of the complaints seem to be that the play calls were too conservative with no downfield throws. 

I think it was much more lack of execution than poor play-calling in reality.

(11-04-2019, 09:12 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 09:09 AM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: I was there yesterday and although my knowledge is nowhere near close to majority of you fine chaps, I thought I would share a few simple Observations.

Granted I thought the playcalling was bad and WRs played poorly but that wasn't a solid performance from Minshew at all imo

Look completely off his game Vs a good Texans gameplan

I agree with you about the poor performance, but I think it's also fair to note that our expectations have risen to the point that we are evaluating Minshew more as a seasoned pro rather than as a rookie. 

With most rookie QBs, a performance like Sunday would be seen through a developmental lense, looking at the positives and the negatives: a disastrous stretch of the game that hopefully he will learn from, a refusal / inability to look downfield early that really cost us (blame also goes to others for that part)... but also he made some excellent throws, had some good movement in the pocket, and ended up throwing for 300+ yards. These things shouldn't be entirely ignored, especially considering the fact he is a young player going overseas for the first time, a situation many players seem to struggle in.

Minshew is almost a victim of his own success. Because he looked so comfortable early in his career, any time he now has rookie struggles will be seen by many as regression, or proof that it was just a fluke. Combine that with the situation we are in (still pushing for the playoffs, which is typically not common for rookie QBs) and people are naturally judging him to a higher standard than most rookies.

Young inexperienced players everywhere on offense. Who is really going to take over? You would hope the running back but meh.. not sure he could do it anyway.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Those two long runs broke our back. Those runs are the result of us not having a beefy line and NO MLB. We have a wlb playing our middle.

I want my mlb with the Ray Lewis mindset. Where he wants to meet a big back in the hole mano a mano, helmet to helmet!. Jack is more of a grab you round the legs type guy. Only time he lay a good smack is if you're already wrapped up and going down.

(11-03-2019, 01:26 PM)waveZ666 Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 01:12 PM)hb1148 Wrote: 2017 was fun. Definitely haven't done much more than than in the last dozen seasons.

Wrong, 2017 was a fluke...

J-Dub?

Sorry you didn't enjoy 2017.

(11-04-2019, 11:00 AM)scottyg Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 01:26 PM)waveZ666 Wrote: Wrong, 2017 was a fluke...

J-Dub?

Sorry you didn't enjoy 2017.

Not agreeing with waveZ666, but 2017 could have been a fluke while still being enjoyable.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]