Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From The Texans Game in London

With second place in the division at stake, this was a huge game.  Sadly, it didn't go our way.  I thought the Jaguars were the team that had the advantage of playing in London every year.  Shaking my head in dismay.

My thoughts:

1.  I think it's odd that as banged up as the Texans were in the D-Line and secondary, absolutely none of the Jaguars receivers seemed to get open.  Minshew held the ball a prolonged period for most of the game, except for the inexplicable quick dumpoffs.  It's not as if the Texans were getting a ton of pressure on him.  I wonder what they were doing to make him hold the ball, dump it off, and otherwise not attack downfield.  I would hate to think the game plan was to avoid attacking downfield knowing Watt was out.

2.  What the hell is it about Carlos Hyde that causes this defense to not be able to tackle him?!?  One Hundred sixty one yards?!?   The fumble at the end of that 60 yard TD run is of little solace.  In two games against us this year

3.  I figured a key to the game would be the defense's ability to pressure Watson.  Implied in that but obviously not stated-to say nothing of executed-was actually getting Watson on the ground.  Starting from early in the first quarter when Allen couldn't bring him down, Watson had escape after escape on plays where normal QBs would have been sacked.  Kudos to Watson for being a heckuva QB and a hard tackle.

4.  It seems the one thing the Jaguars did in response to Watt being out is be more determined to run to the right.  Compared to other games, the Jaguars seemed to have more success running right, but it was far from a productive enterprise.

5.  In recent years, I have complained bitterly about the physicality being taken from the game.  However, there was lots of hard hits and physical play in today's game.    From the hit on Michael Walker on the first quarter kickoff return, to Leonard Fournette trucking several players in the Texans' secondary, there were some plays in this game to remind me of a time gone by.  The lackluster offensive play notwithstanding, those plays made me smile a bit.

6.  Having said the above, that personal foul call on Calais Campbell was 100% absolute unmitigated horse [BLEEP].  That followed a steadfast refusal to call an obvious Pass Interference or at minimum illegal contact against DJ Chark by a Houston DB.  Those calls certainly do not lend confidence in officiating to say the least.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Josh Allen-Had a heavy pressure on the first drive, only to have Watson escape from it.  had a nice TFL on Hopkins on a bubble screen to the left.
  • Jawaan Taylor-had a decent game today.  Technically he may have registered as surrendering a sack, but that was on Minshew/coverage sack, because Minshew held onto the ball for so long on the play, and Taylor initially had him blocked well.  The team seemed to have a little more success running the ball to the right than normal.
  • Josh Oliver-had one inconsequential catch to the right.
  • Quinned Williams-Did Not Play
  • Ryquell Armstead-had five catches, including a nice 38 yard catch and run
  • Gardner Minshew-did not have a particularly good game.  Not only did he not throw a TD pass, he overthrew Cole and got picked, then followed it up by overthrowing Oliver and getting picked off and then a fumble after that, and he seemed reluctant or unable to throw the ball downfield against what should have been a vulnerable Texans pass defense.  It seemed like I was watching the late stages of a Super Bowl blowout the way the turnovers were coming in bunches and snowballing.  At this point, I am inclined to start Foles against the Colts, even though Minshew has played very well overall.
  • Dontavious Russell-DNP
  • Wingard-got some ST snaps
  • Mike Walker-was activated from the practice squad for the first time, got walloped on his first kickoff return and had a nice punt return.
  • CJ Board-was targeted on one pass in the 4th quarter but had one reception on the next to the last play.
8.  That high snap missed FG was a disaster.  Sad to see Lambo's record come to an end on that.

9.  Keelan Cole continues to rebuild confidence in his abilities.  I don't think he'll have the full support of the fans until he has a monster game like he had against Seattle in his rookie year, but his production in the last couple of weeks represents substantial improvement from last year.

10.  Bottom line--a completely blown opportunity against a depleted opponent.  We had the chance to get right in the middle of the AFC South race and produced our worst performance of the year.  We're still not out of things yet.  There are still seven weeks left to play and can still reach the postseason.  Remember, we were 4-7 in 1996 and rallied to reach the playoffs and go on that run.  But we will have to get healthy and get it together, or this silver anniversary season will be lost.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Are you talking about the FG kick that never got made? I don't think that counts as a miss.

(11-03-2019, 01:36 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Are you talking about the FG kick that never got made? I don't think that counts as a miss.

Yes.

If that actually does not count as a FG attempt, then I guess it's still good that his record is intact, but is more than mitigated by the blown scoring opportunity that non attempt represents.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I think the play calling was moronic, and really tied minshew and the offense’s hands. But the better team won today, we are what our record says we are.

Not sure if Foles makes us any better, I guess we find out in a couple of weeks.

(11-03-2019, 01:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 01:36 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Are you talking about the FG kick that never got made? I don't think that counts as a miss.

Yes.

If that actually does not count as a FG attempt, then I guess it's still good that his record is intact, but is more than mitigated by the blown scoring opportunity that non attempt represents.

It's rare to see a team look so ill prepared. The Texans looked like they had a good plan and understood how to execute it. I got the sense the Jaguars had a bad plan and didn't want to execute it.

#becausejaguars is one of the most powerful forces on the planet, maybe the universe

#becausejaguars >>> Infinity Gauntlet

Kudos to the Texans for dominating in every aspect of the game. They were the aggressors and never let up on a day that the Jaguars literally had no fight in them.
At least the Jaguars have competed in 7/9 games.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

Takeaway?

I’m gonna miss watching Minshew because it looks like Foles will take over despite all the good Minshew did for 8 weeks.

Hopefully Foles can do what he did in Philly. 5-2 down the stretch.

I think this game solidifies the notion that the Jaguars look good against terrible teams, and awful against top tier teams. No way this team could fight their way through the playoffs. The defense is not as potent against high caliber teams, and the offense and offensive play calling is flat against better teams. Our team looks like a house of cards.

So whats up with oliver becoming pretty disappointed in him. Does he not kmow the playbook? Why is he out ther for such few plays? Why cant we ever sem to get a good te?

This game i noticed from the get go the team had no energy or life to them it seemed on both sides of the ball. The first half was horrible. Ill prepared lifeless teams in important games falls back squarely on the coaching staff imo.

(11-03-2019, 02:00 PM)surfon Wrote: So whats up with oliver becoming pretty disappointed in him.  Does he not kmow the playbook?  Why is he out ther for such few plays?  Why cant we ever sem to get a good te?  

This game i noticed from the get go the team had no energy or life to them it seemed on both sides of the ball.  The first half was horrible.  Ill prepared lifeless teams in important games falls back squarely on the coaching staff imo.
He’s a 3rd round rookie TE who has played two games. Ease up.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 02:03 PM by DarianSS.)

(11-03-2019, 01:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: With second place in the division at stake, this was a huge game.  Sadly, it didn't go our way.  I thought the Jaguars were the team that had the advantage of playing in London every year.  Shaking my head in dismay.

My thoughts:

1.  I think it's odd that as banged up as the Texans were in the D-Line and secondary, absolutely none of the Jaguars receivers seemed to get open.  Minshew held the ball a prolonged period for most of the game, except for the inexplicable quick dumpoffs.  It's not as if the Texans were getting a ton of pressure on him.  I wonder what they were doing to make him hold the ball, dump it off, and otherwise not attack downfield.  I would hate to think the game plan was to avoid attacking downfield knowing Watt was out.
That's exactly what the game plan was. If anyone has faith in Doug Marrone, they should just off themselves.

(11-03-2019, 01:40 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 01:39 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Yes.

It's rare to see a team look so ill prepared. The Texans looked like they had a good plan and understood how to execute it. I got the sense the Jaguars had a bad plan and didn't want to execute it.

Outside of the Rematch against the Patriots last year, tell me when Doug Marrone has had a good game plan???

(11-03-2019, 02:01 PM)DarianSS Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 01:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: With second place in the division at stake, this was a huge game.  Sadly, it didn't go our way.  I thought the Jaguars were the team that had the advantage of playing in London every year.  Shaking my head in dismay.

My thoughts:

That's exactly what the game plan was. If anyone has faith in Doug Marrone, they should just off themselves.

(11-03-2019, 01:40 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's rare to see a team look so ill prepared. The Texans looked like they had a good plan and understood how to execute it. I got the sense the Jaguars had a bad plan and didn't want to execute it.

Outside of the Rematch against the Patriots last year, tell me when Doug Marrone has had a good game plan???

It looked great in 2017 in a lot of games. Not so much today.

It's hard to understand how the Jaguars could look so bad today. The Texans are decimated by injuries yet totally outplayed the Jags. What were the odds that Bouye would shut down Hopkins for most of the game and the Jaguars still get blown out? This looks like an 8-8 team - mostly because the schedule is not very difficult after the bye week. Other than the Colts, the other teams on the schedule are no better than the Jags. Hopefully the 2nd half of the season will make it clear to the coaching staff which players need to be kept. The key decisions will be regarding Norwell, Campbell, Dareus and Yannick. It wouldn't surprise me if three of these guys don't return and the Jags have a new coach.

My thoughts:

I did find it disappointing they didn't attack downfield more in the first half. 
They tried to dial it up in the second half but they suffered combinations of guys being well-covered, Minshew not seeing the open guy, and Minshew being flushed before he could get it to the open guy.  
Long story short from my perspective - first half was called conservatively - second half was executed poorly.

(11-03-2019, 02:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

My thoughts:

I did find it disappointing they didn't attack downfield more in the first half. 
They tried to dial it up in the second half but they suffered combinations of guys being well-covered, Minshew not seeing the open guy, and Minshew being flushed before he get get it to the open guy.  
Long story short from my perspective - first half was called conservatively - second half was executed poorly.

They had two choices: spread the field and make them out their bad secondary cover guys or go heavy and try to do play action and hope they fall for it. They didn't.

I think the team's biggest problem is the continual attempts to make Fournette happen. He's not a great player, he's not Zeke, he's not Peterson in his prime, he's just not talented enough to be the guy the offense runs through.

My thoughts:

2.  What the hell is it about Carlos Hyde that causes this defense to not be able to tackle him?!?  One Hundred sixty one yards?!?    The fumble at the end of that 60 yard TD run is of little solace.  In two games against us this year

3.  I figured a key to the game would be the defense's ability to pressure Watson.  Implied in that but obviously not stated-to say nothing of executed-was actually getting Watson on the ground.  Starting from early in the first quarter when Allen couldn't bring him down, Watson had escape after escape on plays where normal QBs would have been sacked.  Kudos to Watson for being a heckuva QB and a hard tackle.

4.  It seems the one thing the Jaguars did in response to Watt being out is be more determined to run to the right.  Compared to other games, the Jaguars seemed to have more success running right, but it was far from a productive enterprise.

5.  In recent years, I have complained bitterly about the physicality being taken from the game.  However, there was lots of hard hits and physical play in today's game.    From the hit on Michael Walker on the first quarter kickoff return, to Leonard Fournette trucking several players in the Texans' secondary, there were some plays in this game to remind me of a time gone by.  The lackluster offensive play notwithstanding, those plays made me smile a bit.

6.  Having said the above, that personal foul call on Calais Campbell was 100% absolute unmitigated horse [BLEEP].  That followed a steadfast refusal to call an obvious Pass Interference or at minimum illegal contact against DJ Chark by a Houston DB.  Those calls certainly do not lend confidence in officiating to say the least.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Josh Allen-Had a heavy pressure on the first drive, only to have Watson escape from it.  had a nice TFL on Hopkins on a bubble screen to the left.
  • Jawaan Taylor-had a decent game today.  Technically he may have registered as surrendering a sack, but that was on Minshew/coverage sack, because Minshew held onto the ball for so long on the play, and Taylor initially had him blocked well.  The team seemed to have a little more success running the ball to the right than normal.
  • Josh Oliver-had one inconsequential catch to the right.
  • Quinned Williams-Did Not Play
  • Ryquell Armstead-had five catches, including a nice 38 yard catch and run
  • Gardner Minshew-did not have a particularly good game.  Not only did he not throw a TD pass, he overthrew Cole and got picked, then followed it up by overthrowing Oliver and getting picked off and then a fumble after that,  and he seemed reluctant or unable to throw the ball downfield against what should have been a vulnerable Texans pass defense.  It seemed like I was watching the late stages of a Super Bowl blowout the way the turnovers were coming in bunches and snowballing.  At this point, I am inclined to start Foles against the Colts, even though Minshew has played very well overall.
  • Dontavious Russell-DNP
  • Wingard-got some ST snaps
  • Mike Walker-was activated from the practice squad for the first time, got walloped on his first kickoff return and had a nice punt return.
  • CJ Board-was targeted on one pass in the 4th quarter but had one reception on the next to the last play.
8.  That high snap missed FG was a disaster.  Sad to see Lambo's record come to an end on that.

9.  Keelan Cole continues to rebuild confidence in his abilities.  I don't think he'll have the full support of the fans until he has a monster game like he had against Seattle in his rookie year, but his production in the last couple of weeks represents substantial improvement from last year.

10.  Bottom line--a completely blown opportunity against a depleted opponent.  We had the chance to get right in the middle of the AFC South race and produced our worst performance of the year.  We're still not out of things yet.  There are still seven weeks left to play and can still reach the postseason.  Remember, we were 4-7 in 1996 and rallied to reach the playoffs and go on that run.  But we will have to get healthy and get it together, or this silver anniversary season will be lost.

1. If anything, this game showed me that at this time, Gardner Minshew is not a franchise QB. He played at Washington State in a system where WR's were basically running free and in this game, he sat back there like he was expecting the same thing to happen. He either does not trust himself to make throws in tight windows or he doesn't trust his receivers to make contested catches. Either way, it's not working. That entire first half, he had a completely clean pocket. He wasn't even touched in that first half, yet we only had 3 points? That's inexcusable. NFL QB's need to make much quicker reads and get rid of that ball in a hurry and so far, Minshew has not displayed that ability. In fact, he seems to have regressed. Can he eventually master this skill? Honestly, I don't know. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he can improve, but for now it's time to go back to Foles. 

2. The run defense without Dareus is not good. He's gone and like many others have said, we lack a true run thumping LB as well. These are two areas that have to be addressed in the off season. 

3. Watson made some unbelievable plays out there. We were getting a lot of pressure off the edges, early in the game. The problem was that Watson was just too slippery and either found open receivers or he scrambled around and run straight up the middle, where we had no pressure at all. Again, Dareus' presence was missed. His ability to collapse the pocket from the middle and stop the run as well as pressure the passer will be sorely missed. 

4. I didn't think we ran enough, period. Fournette only had 11 carries. He's the kind of runner that gets better, the more work he gets. He never had a chance to get into any kind of rhythm, because of the poor play calling. 

5. Agreed.

6. The officiating in this game was the worst I have seen all year. Personally, I would have challenged the no-call PI against Chark. He was called for an offensive PI the play before which was complete, B.S., but yet when he was completely stonewalled in the middle of his route, nothing. It probably wouldn't have resulted in anything, but at least a challenge would have shown them that we thought their officiating was skewered. That call on Campbell was ridiculous and completely biased. I'd file a complaint with the league offices on that one. 

8. Agreed. We lost all momentum after that. 

9. Cole is definitely looking better, just not enough to stand out. Especially, when the passing game overall, performed so poorly.

10. This was a completely winnable game. A poor game plan, poor execution by the QB, poor tackling and poor play against the run ruined it though. Hopefully, with Foles coming back, we can get things back on track.

(11-03-2019, 02:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 02:00 PM)surfon Wrote: So whats up with oliver becoming pretty disappointed in him.  Does he not kmow the playbook?  Why is he out ther for such few plays?  Why cant we ever sem to get a good te?  

This game i noticed from the get go the team had no energy or life to them it seemed on both sides of the ball.  The first half was horrible.  Ill prepared lifeless teams in important games falls back squarely on the coaching staff imo.

This; did people not learn from the dumb “analysis” about Chark last year?

(11-03-2019, 01:40 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I think the play calling was moronic, and really tied minshew and the offense’s hands. But the better team won today, we are what our record says we are.

Not sure if Foles makes us any better, I guess we find out in a couple of weeks.

No they didnt.  Several times shots were called and got open.  Minshew didnt read the coverage well.  Same thing against the saints.  He's a rookie.  It happens.

(11-03-2019, 02:01 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Ahh high third is actually fairly high for a te.  Thats a poor excuse.  Later drafted tes have performed pretty well in this league as rookies.  I would just like to see something.  I am dissapointed so far and dont feel i need to ease off.