Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Was this supposed to be a make or break season for Marrone?

Was this supposed to be coach Marrone's make or break season?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The expectation was that they win this year. The Foles issue may or may not matter, but 4 and 5 with the QB situation we've had? Some idiots on here are adamant that they all be fired no matter what.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This team just isn't that good. It's just not one person. Coaching is and will be an issue this year. The defense is up and down and not really that good.

(11-03-2019, 04:06 PM)uthill Wrote: This team just isn't that good. It's just not one person. Coaching is and will be an issue this year. The defense is up and down and not really that good.

The most persistently disappointing part of the team's performance over the past few years has been the run defense.

Carlos Hyde should NEVER get 160 yards against us, especially behind that offensive line.

Though they are currently running the ball down the tacks' throats, Carolina should never run for 200+ yards against us.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Start over with another fresh face (but really just a mediocre coach)? Have high expectations only to have them crushed a a season or two later? Hahaha the vicious cycle continues

We may as well give this guy a chance and see what he can do with time.

This isn’t a knee jerk reaction as I’ve said for some time. But our coaching leaves a lot to be desired.

There was some questionable decisions today, but Texans flat out out game planned and out coached us today. Their misdirection was incredible today to make up for an 80% Deshaun Watson.

I actually thought Fournette looked good today and if we better calls could have had a big game. There was lots of plays where the D was shaped up so that if it he ran it out wide he could have had a lot of big plays. But the coaching staff don’t seem to have acknowledged he’s trimmed down and is faster and can make those plays this year.

I'm just tired of losing
Here we go again

I think Shad gives Marrone 1 more year no matter what (barring we go on a huge losing streak this year) 

I think we’ll be 9-7 this year

(11-03-2019, 05:10 PM)Preach Wrote: I'm just tired of losing

I'm with you. I want more seasons like 2017, if we're gonna miss the playoffs at least win in the division.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

This whole fan base is!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Honestly we aren't the worst run franchise in the NFl but... we are approaching peak inept #becausejaguars. I believe in the stash but he has work to do. The team chewed him up for marketing purposes. If the coaches worked as well as the marketing maybe we could be better.

It was fun for awhile.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 05:32 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

(11-03-2019, 05:15 PM)MojoKing Wrote: I think Shad gives Marrone 1 more year no matter what (barring we go on a huge losing streak this year) 

8-8

(11-03-2019, 05:17 PM)I’m Firesky Wrote:

I'm with you. I want more seasons like 2017, if we're gonna miss the playoffs at least win in the division.

You can’t miss the playoffs and win the division. A division title guarantees at least 1 home game in the playoffs.

The worst part of this iteration is the poor division play overall. At the teams inception we competed against the division first and foremost. Ever since we realigned and went to the AFC South, our division play has been meh and never good year to year.

It is annoying to have the Colts find ways to compete all but a sprinkling of seasons.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

The team we had on paper after FA was good enough for a playoff push. But then we lost Telvin, then Foles, then Ramsey. Key pieces of the team. Today's D has a lot of young guys and backups playing as starters. I cant fault their effort but you can only cover so much. 

Last season injuries crushed us, we have had some bad luck this year but nothing to major and Minshew covered a lot of the Foles loss. 

There some parts of Marrone I like and lots I dont. Hes a solid coach but i dont think hes HC material, especially with the NFL as it is. I'm done with Wash, we cant fire him soon enough, I wouldn't be disappointed if we moved from Marrone but if we do give him another year, no more excuses, no more sugar coating bad coaching.

It’s a miserable existence as a Jags fan regardless of coaches and the sooner you accept it, the better

I don’t like our Offensive Coordinator. I think he needs to go. I don’t really care one way or the other about the Head Coach. But if Mike Leach is available, then I would make a strong push for him.

He turned Minshew into Minchew Magic.

I would stick with Minshew at QB and build around him starting with a reliable TE. One that can block and catch and stretch the field. I think Oliver is that guy but boy has he been limited in action.

Chark is the most improved player ala Cecil Shorts, but way more. Westbrook is not really panning out like I thought he would but he is a classic WR2 or WR3.

Fournette needs more carries than 11 in any ball game regardless of the score. I remember MJD went up to Tennessee and carried 9 times for 177 and a TD. A back needs about 18 to 25 carries per game.

On defense we need 2 safeties. 36 is serviceable but I would love me some Jamal Adams right now. I’m ok with 37 and 21 at CB. Campbell is still turning up and 91 and 41 are going to be Mathis and Freeny. 44 needs to go back outside and we need a 51 type of player.

(11-03-2019, 05:30 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 05:15 PM)MojoKing Wrote: I think Shad gives Marrone 1 more year no matter what (barring we go on a huge losing streak this year) 

8-8

(11-03-2019, 05:17 PM)I’m Firesky Wrote: I'm with you. I want more seasons like 2017, if we're gonna miss the playoffs at least win in the division.

You can’t miss the playoffs and win the division. A division title guarantees at least 1 home game in the playoffs.

Not win the division title, just win games, like split the series 1-1 so we're not embarrassed getting swept 2-0 each year which puts the all time W/L of the rivalry to laughable all time statistics.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

The thing about Marrone is you've had him long enough to pretty much know what you've got. A coach that is not aggressive offensively, leads an undisciplined team that usually commits silly or numerous penalties, and he coaches from the shadow of Tom Coughlin. That run to the AFC championship game was a result of amazing defensive play and fluke offensive play.

Jacksonville has never had an established coach that has shown results in the NFL, they've never had an aggressive offensive coach minded coach, and they've never reeled in a big name from college. Why not try now? We've seen defensive minded, and we've seen bland. Neither looked good.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 06:19 PM by JagFanatic24.)

Coughlin was a very recognized coach during the 90s.

But to your topic, I want Mike Leach. He’s offensive minded and has a little edgeyness to him.

Oh the horror, playing .500 ball in the NFL with a rookie QB starting half the season.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato