Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What would you do to the college football playoff?
This poll is closed.
Leave as-is, only power 5 should ever be invited
33.33%
1 33.33%
Proposal #1
0%
0 0%
Proposal #2
33.33%
1 33.33%
Something else, post below.
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Improve the college football playoffs.

Assumptions:
  • No one wants to add more games to the season.
  • No one wants playoff games to be rematches.
  • Conference alignment will always be chaotic.
  • Out of conference games will always include cupcakes.
  • All 10 D1 conferences should have a clean slate at the beginning of the year.  Human polls introduce too much bias and too much consideration of last year and even last decade.
  • People like conference championship games.
Proposal 1:
Move rivalry week to the first week of the season.
The last week of the season is tentative.
The top eight teams in the colley matrix will start a playoff bracket during the last week.  The next week the winners will play each other in a round of 4. that round of four could be at neutral sites just like the conference championship games. 
But all other teams play the games they already had scheduled, or their conference championship game.
For instance a team that lost in the round of 8 could play in a conference championship game the next week against a team that didn't make the round of 8 at all.
so after conference championship week the top eight teams would be down to a top two and you have a good national championship game that you can play on New year's day.
so in this proposal the conference championships work kind of like a consolation prize for teams that were pretty good but not quite good enough to be in the national championship conversation.

Proposal 2:
Keep the college football playoff scheduled at the same time it is now, and keep conference championship games scheduled the same time they are now. but now conference championships are the only possible route to the college football playoff. Notre Dame would have to get a relationship with one of the 10 conferences where, if they are ranked high enough on the colley matrix, they get to play in that conference's championship game.
Once you have the 10 conference champions, find where they all sit on the colley matrix, and the top four are your playoff teams.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Who doesn't want an Alabama Vs LSU rematch in the playoffs?

(11-12-2019, 01:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: Who doesn't want an Alabama Vs LSU rematch in the playoffs?

If we let them rematch, did the first game even matter?

(11-12-2019, 01:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 01:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: Who doesn't want an Alabama Vs LSU rematch in the playoffs?

If we let them rematch, did the first game even matter?

I get your point but you'd have to define mattering. Because both games would certainly matter to all the players and college fans

(11-12-2019, 01:27 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 01:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: If we let them rematch, did the first game even matter?

I get your point but you'd have to define mattering. Because both games would certainly matter to all the players and college fans

All of Alabama's players and all of Alabama's fans, sure.
But whatever conference champion would otherwise be the number four team also has players and also has fans.

(11-12-2019, 01:32 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 01:27 PM)JackCity Wrote: I get your point but you'd have to define mattering. Because both games would certainly matter to all the players and college fans

All of Alabama's players and all of Alabama's fans, sure.
But whatever conference champion would otherwise be the number four team also has players and also has fans.

Most college fans too to be fair. 

I think 8 teams is the max the playoffs should be expanded too

(11-12-2019, 01:34 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 01:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: All of Alabama's players and all of Alabama's fans, sure.

Most college fans too to be fair. 

Proposal one has eight teams. But it pulls those teams out of their conference championship games, making conference championship week a consolation prize.

Otherwise you have to add weeks to the season.

I think proposal two is better. Keep it at four teams, but pick better teams. If proposal 2 was in place in 2008, Utah Utes would have been in the playoffs. In 2010, TCU would have been in the playoffs. And in 2017, UCF would have been in the playoffs.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 02:20 PM by JackCity.)

(11-12-2019, 02:05 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 01:34 PM)JackCity Wrote: Most college fans too to be fair. 

Proposal one has eight teams. But it pulls those teams out of their conference championship games, making conference championship week a consolation prize.

I think proposal two is better. Keep it at four teams, but pick better teams. If proposal 2 was in place in 2008, Utah Utes would have been in the playoffs. In 2010, TCU would have been in the playoffs. And in 2017, UCF would have been in the playoffs.

Winning the conference is still going to be highly important to college football though. 

I think just do the 5 conference winners and then the 3 beat of, however you wanna determine the 3 best of

Can't see proposal 2 happening with Notre Dame

Get rid of the meaningless bowl games and expand the playoffs.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 02:53 PM by mikesez.)

(11-12-2019, 02:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 02:05 PM)mikesez Wrote: Proposal one has eight teams. But it pulls those teams out of their conference championship games, making conference championship week a consolation prize.

Winning the conference is still going to be highly important to college football though. 

I think just do the 5 conference winners and then the 3 beat of, however you wanna determine the 3 best of

ND has had no problem cultivating relationships with the BCS and with the various bowl committees.  They would get to keep their autonomy in scheduling their own games.   Just like they had side deals with the Gator Bowl committee and the Cotton Bowl committee, they could come up with a side deal with one of the 10 conferences, for just one possible game per year.

(11-12-2019, 02:41 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Get rid of the meaningless bowl games and expand the playoffs.

Yeah, I didn't put it above, but one of my assumptions is that people like the neutral site bowl games.  Even though most of them play no role in determining the national champion, most people are fine with that.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 02:56 PM by JackCity.)

(11-12-2019, 02:52 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 02:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: Winning the conference is still going to be highly important to college football though. 

ND has had no problem cultivating relationships with the BCS and with the various bowl committees.  They would get to keep their autonomy in scheduling their own games.   Just like they had side deals with the Gator Bowl committee and the Cotton Bowl committee, they could come up with a side deal with one of the 10 conferences, for just one possible game per year.

No conference that ND would realistically link with is going to let them keep autonomy and allow entrance into the conference game.

That's a good way to remove all meaning to the conference game. Which conference do you think would grant that?

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 03:20 PM by mikesez.)

(11-12-2019, 02:54 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 02:52 PM)mikesez Wrote: ND has had no problem cultivating relationships with the BCS and with the various bowl committees.  They would get to keep their autonomy in scheduling their own games.   Just like they had side deals with the Gator Bowl committee and the Cotton Bowl committee, they could come up with a side deal with one of the 10 conferences, for just one possible game per year.

No conference that ND would realistically link with is going to let them keep autonomy and allow entrance into the conference game.

That's a good way to remove all meaning to the conference game. Which conference do you think would grant that?

Any of the group of 5 would do it proudly.
It would be a huge ratings and ticket sales boost for that game.
My counting might be off, but I see ND with 5 games scheduled against ACC teams this year.  And I know the ACC has been disappointed by attendance ever since they went neutral site for their championship.  There would be points of negotiation:
  • Does ND have to "pay to play" and if so how much?
  • How high does ND have to be on the colley matrix to trigger it
  • How much of the ticket revenue does ND get
  • Where is the conference championship game?
One of the 10 will figure out something that's in their mutual interest.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 03:26 PM by JackCity.)

(11-12-2019, 03:19 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 02:54 PM)JackCity Wrote: No conference that ND would realistically link with is going to let them keep autonomy and allow entrance into the conference game.

My counting might be off, but I see ND with 5 games scheduled against ACC teams this year.  And I know the ACC has been disappointed by attendance ever since they went neutral site for their championship.  There would be points of negotiation:

Everyone would love the money boost...nobody will want to turn their conference into a 1 team race with an outsider. For instance that isnt gonna fly in the big 12 or big 10 at all. 

The ACC isn't going to allow ND have the benefits of the game without being part of the conference. Ruining the pinnacle of their conference isn't going to be worth the money boost. And all of the big teams will not be happy.

You think Clemson will want to face ND in the conference every year Vs another ACC team?

(11-12-2019, 03:25 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 03:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: Any of the group of 5 would do it proudly.

Everyone would love the money boost...nobody will want to turn their conference into a 1 team race with an outsider. For instance that isnt gonna fly in the big 12 or big 10 at all. 

The ACC isn't going to allow ND have the benefits of the game without being part of the conference. Ruining the pinnacle of their conference isn't going to be worth the money boost. And all of the big teams will not be happy.  

You think Clemson will want to face ND in the conference every year Vs another ACC team?

Remember that under proposal 2, it is necessary to win a conference championship, but not sufficient.  
If Clemson wins the ACC, but Colley's algorithm has 4 other conference champs above them, Clemson is SOL under proposal 2.
Look at Colley's current rankings.  Clemson will likely be sitting at #3 after their conference championship this year.  Two conference champs ahead of them.  But if the ACC was a bit worse, they could be outside looking in.
Clemson would rather play ND than Pittsburgh, to boost their ranking after the championship game.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 04:13 PM by mikesez.)

(11-12-2019, 02:54 PM)JackCity Wrote: No conference that ND would realistically link with is going to let them keep autonomy and allow entrance into the conference game.

Sample answers: 
  • Does ND have to "pay to play" and if so how much? No.
  • How high does ND have to be on the colley matrix to trigger it #20 or higher, and higher than the in-conference team they would displace
  • How much of the ticket revenue does ND get None.  No pay to play, no revenue share.
  • Where is the conference championship game? Same place it is now, Charlotte

Sample answers: 
  • How high does ND have to be on the colley matrix to trigger it #20 or higher, and higher than the in-conference team they would displace
  • How much of the ticket revenue does ND get None.  No pay to play, no revenue share.

(11-12-2019, 04:13 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Sample answers: 

Sample answers: 

Good luck telling a #7 Florida State that they don't get to go to a conference game because ND is #6 on its own hand picked schedule

(11-12-2019, 04:34 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 04:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: Sample answers: 

Sample answers: 

Good luck telling a #7 Florida State that they don't get to go to a conference game because ND is #6 on its own hand picked schedule

Notre Dame could make the same deal with multiple conferences. Say they involve two conferences. Then you would look at the four teams that would be in those two conference championship games, and get rid of the one that is the lowest on the colley matrix.

Remember, if the college football playoff committee implements proposal two, Notre Dame will be scrambling for a dance partner. They may prefer to dance with the ACC, but I'm sure they'd be willing to dance with the AAC if the ACC was not willing.

If you don't win your conference, do you deserve to go to the playoff?
I say no.
Don't care for the "but but bama only lost to the best team they deserve another shot"... nonsense...

Power 5
4 conference champions with best records go. Yes, one conference champion will be left out. Likely a weak Pac 12, Big 12, or ACC champion.
Solution for weaker conferences - schedule harder out of conference games.

Also, I think 9 conference games should be required. Which I believe is how the PAC 12 does it.

But that's just like.... my opinion man.

Should a 1 loss SEC conference loser, or non championship team get in over an undefeated or 1 loss PAC 12 champ?
Nope. Not in my opinion.

Expanding the playoffs to 8 teams allows in 2 or 3 or maybe 4 conf championship losers or non participants.

But what about Independents and MAC, SUN, AAC you say?
They get the "bowl" games. If they want a shot at the big dance, join a power 5 (ND would be good for Big10 I think, Louisville recently went from AAC to ACC so a school like UCF would be wise to do the same Big12 only has 10 teams, and sure could use a couple more to create divisions for their conf champ.)

But I doubt we see sweeping changes to the current system for awhile.
It seems to be working with a playoff atmosphere but essentially the same schtick we got from the BCS

(11-12-2019, 05:03 PM)Kane Wrote: If you don't win your conference, do you deserve to go to the playoff?
I say no.
Don't care for the "but but bama only lost to the best team they deserve another shot"... nonsense...

Power 5
4 conference champions with best records go. Yes, one conference champion will be left out. Likely a weak Pac 12, Big 12, or ACC champion.
Solution for weaker conferences - schedule harder out of conference games.

Also, I think 9 conference games should be required. Which I believe is how the PAC 12 does it.

But that's just like.... my opinion man.

Should a 1 loss SEC conference loser, or non championship team get in over an undefeated or 1 loss PAC 12 champ?
Nope. Not in my opinion.

Expanding the playoffs to 8 teams allows in 2 or 3 or maybe 4 conf championship losers or non participants.

But what about Independents and MAC, SUN, AAC you say?
They get the "bowl" games. If they want a shot at the big dance, join a power 5 (ND would be good for Big10 I think, Louisville recently went from AAC to ACC so a school like UCF would be wise to do the same Big12 only has 10 teams, and sure could use a couple more to create divisions for their conf champ.)

But I doubt we see sweeping changes to the current system for awhile.
It seems to be working with a playoff atmosphere but essentially the same schtick we got from the BCS

Right now the only reason we have a power five is because selecting the playoff teams is left to humans and the humans believe there should be a power five. But it's not really written anywhere in the bylaws.

What you're saying is, it should be written.

I disagree.  I don't like punishing the kids who play for group of five teams or the fans for scheduling decisions that were made five or ten years ago.  You say they need to schedule tougher out of conference games. I think they are trying. but it takes two to tango and the other side has no incentive to tango.

5 conference winners + best loser + best of group of 5 + one spot left over to whoever you think deserves it.