Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Todd Wash...

Run defense has been pretty horrible this year. I still think Jack belongs back outside. They need to bring in a new face to man the middle next year. It hurts not having Telvin Smith and Quincy Williams this year. They're playing with guys they just picked up at LB over the last two, three weeks. Add ILB/OLB to the list of needs in 2020's draft.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-18-2019, 01:24 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Run defense has been pretty horrible this year. I still think Jack belongs back outside. They need to bring in a new face to man the middle next year. It hurts not having Telvin Smith and Quincy Williams this year. They're playing with guys they just picked up at LB over the last two, three weeks. Add ILB/OLB to the list of needs in 2020's draft.

Think about what you just wrote...Jack, Smith, and Williams all play the same position. If they play Sam or Mike then they are a weakness We have three good Will linebackers (presumably), none of whom can play the middle.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-18-2019, 03:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 01:24 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Run defense has been pretty horrible this year. I still think Jack belongs back outside. They need to bring in a new face to man the middle next year. It hurts not having Telvin Smith and Quincy Williams this year. They're playing with guys they just picked up at LB over the last two, three weeks. Add ILB/OLB to the list of needs in 2020's draft.

Think about what you just wrote...Jack, Smith, and Williams all play the same position. If they play Sam or Mike then they are a weakness We have three good Will linebackers (presumably), none of whom can play the middle.

I'm guessing they were counting on Jake Ryan for the Mike backer spot and he had some major setbacks.  I dunno if they will draft a MLB or look for a guy in FA.  If they look to the draft, get a straight dawg like Kenneth Murray.  He wants to hit people.  He has the frame and athleticism to excel on the NFL level.  I'd like to see Jack moved to the Will spot.  The 2nd level of the defense really needs a guy that plays within the rules but plays with a mean streak.

(11-18-2019, 12:41 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:21 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote: Adding to that, I also watched the Bears vs Rams and one thing I noticed about the 6-1 look for the Bears, they had 4 Dlinemen and 3 linebackers.  Sometimes they would drop the safety on the 2nd level to make it an 8 man front.   They ran this a lot when the Rams were in 12 personnel.  You know what I noticed from our game vs the Colts?  We were trying to defend 12 personnel with nickel personnel at times.  Also, it wasn't helpful that Goode was/is everything opposite of his name.

This is it. The Bears Dline knew they could bully the Rams Oline so the Rams tried to go run heavy and hit them with PA. Rams had 8 first downs going into the 4th Q and 1 in the 3rd Q. A McVay O?!

Sometimes I think coaches can get lost in playing scheme against scheme. I've seen so many teams have success just sending 5 or 6 as it becomes a numbers game. Can the 5 blockers win all 5 blocking battles. Just need to win one to pressure the QB, It can be that simple to get pressure. But I agree with the nickel, Hayden has done a nice job at nickel but he shouldn't be your run D guy. 

It's one of my main complaints against Wash, for a guy in his 4th year, I see so little innovation or creativity. The playbook feels exactly the same. Not utilising players or skillsets enough.

(11-18-2019, 12:26 PM)Kane Wrote: Now coaches are openly laughing at our coaches and players.

Damn.

Add this to the Panthers players laughing how they ran the same play over and over.

I'm sure BoB was laughing after London too, since their secondary is in shambles and they pretty much pencil whipped this coach staff too.

When you lack talent you gotta scheme it up and we seem to lack talent and scheming ability.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 05:36 PM by MoJagFan.)

(11-18-2019, 05:18 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:41 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: This is it. The Bears Dline knew they could bully the Rams Oline so the Rams tried to go run heavy and hit them with PA. Rams had 8 first downs going into the 4th Q and 1 in the 3rd Q. A McVay O?!

Sometimes I think coaches can get lost in playing scheme against scheme. I've seen so many teams have success just sending 5 or 6 as it becomes a numbers game. Can the 5 blockers win all 5 blocking battles. Just need to win one to pressure the QB, It can be that simple to get pressure. But I agree with the nickel, Hayden has done a nice job at nickel but he shouldn't be your run D guy. 

It's one of my main complaints against Wash, for a guy in his 4th year, I see so little innovation or creativity. The playbook feels exactly the same. Not utilising players or skillsets enough.

Add this to the Panthers players laughing how they ran the same play over and over.

I'm sure BoB was laughing after London too, since their secondary is in shambles and they pretty much pencil whipped this coach staff too.

When you lack talent you gotta scheme it up and we seem to lack talent and scheming ability.

Everyone in the division loves the freebies from playing us twice a year.  I can't remember the last time we dominated the division.  2017 we were owned by the tacks during our "magical" almost superbowl run.  Jeez this team.  How many teams in the league regression as the season goes along?

Miami has looked better even with the front office purposely stocking up while tanking.

jeez.  Honestly only the Bungles are in a worse place then this team.

Edit:  Well there is the redskins giving us a run for the money on worst run franchise in the league.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I think Wash and Marrone suffer from the same disease. 

They both want to play not to lose. 

Everything they do on both sides of the ball is very conservative, close to the vest, let's stick to the plan and not beat ourselves. They only get out of that by absolute necessity and by then, most times it's too late.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 07:15 PM by MoJagFan.)

(11-18-2019, 06:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I think Wash and Marrone suffer from the same disease. 

Everything they do on both sides of the ball is very conservative, close to the vest, let's stick to the plan and not beat ourselves. They only get out of that by absolute necessity and by then, most times it's too late.

That is a very good summation of what it is like to watch this team play.

Edit:
Perfect season 0-0-16
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 08:39 PM by JagFan81.)

(11-18-2019, 05:18 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 12:41 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: This is it. The Bears Dline knew they could bully the Rams Oline so the Rams tried to go run heavy and hit them with PA. Rams had 8 first downs going into the 4th Q and 1 in the 3rd Q. A McVay O?!

Exactly this. It feels like we need the perfect players to fit the scheme. No team has an 'all star' D, you find guys who fit the basics you need. I heard yesterday the Patriots had their 19th consecutive winning season. That's insane. And while I hate comparing to the Patriots, they take undrafted guys and low round picks and make them stars. That's coaching and the system.

(11-18-2019, 06:02 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I think Wash and Marrone suffer from the same disease. 

We look way to comfortable playing 1 score behind. Anytime we get a lead we seem to try and chew clock and go run heavy. You dont feel they are trying to grab the momentum or take advantage when were playing better. 

Some of Marrones 4th down calls have been very bold. Theres brave and then theres reckless.

(11-18-2019, 11:13 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-17-2019, 08:54 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I hate this soft zone so much.

The only time our D looks good is when the DL is playing out of their minds.  Anything less than that and the whole D looks incompetent.
Soooo you agree with Ramsey?

It looked just as bad with him.  Nice try.  Sorry for you that your mancrush left.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Has got to go.